Page 1118 of 1238 FirstFirst ... 11861810181068110811161117111811191120112811681218 ... LastLast
Results 22,341 to 22,360 of 24743
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    So... Consortium.
    Read a fair bit about it before it was released and although they were always talking about making multiple games it seemed like the game was supposed to stand on it's own.

But I haven't actually seen the ending since I got stuck on a bloody difficult combat section. The one where you are fighting the mystery person in the BUS suit. The fairly weak hitting weapons and confined spaces make it kind of tricky. I foolishly set the difficulty to 'normal' as well, thinking the combat in a mainly dialogue-based game would be a piece of cake! Any tips for beating that bit?

Was really enjoying the rest of the it though, the world is so interesting and unconventional within games. At the point where you can accuse someone of being the traitor I ended up reading through huge amounts of the ship's database. It completely blew open all sorts of narratives going on in the background. And I think I managed to work out what lies at the heart of the story, but having not even finished the game it is hard to be sure.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The combat is certainly a bit overly difficult in my opinion. Did you bring the four shields from the emergency locker? If you can't install them, you need to vent some energy. With those four shields, you can keep up the punishment, if I remember correctly that specific enemy only has three shields, so there's some leeway for mistakes in a straight standoff. Without those shields though, you're fighting a nigh impossible uphill battle.

edit: it's late and I'm not sure I'm not mixing it up with another game. I know the shield helped a lot but I'll check the details tomorrow. Sorry for any confusion,
    Last edited by theForged; 08-07-2014 at 01:31 AM.

I've been playing a bit of Blood Dragon. It's enjoyable but I find a bit annoying how it wants to have its cake and eat it.
    It mocks boring tutorials while having one. The same with collectibles. It's silly to mock them while still having them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I remember it being a hell of a lot easier to defeat the harder opponents - and get across the map in time to do X, Y and Z, so on - if you actually knew what combination of square and triangle did what. But it's been a while, I admit, so... rose-tinted glasses, maybe. Still, even as mindless button-bashing I still miss the series.
    I am not saying it isn't fun (I wouldn't buy one every few years if it wasn't), just that it is about as mindless as games get.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    CS:GO and dota 2. Can't help but to play. Sadly, I don't improve much. Didn't buy much in steam summer sale. Waiting for the new AC and COD installment \m/ I hope it's good like the other installments. Any suggestions on MMORPG games or MOBA games?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Read a fair bit about it before it was released and although they were always talking about making multiple games it seemed like the game was supposed to stand on it's own.

But I haven't actually seen the ending since I got stuck on a bloody difficult combat section. The one where you are fighting the mystery person in the BUS suit. The fairly weak hitting weapons and confined spaces make it kind of tricky. I foolishly set the difficulty to 'normal' as well, thinking the combat in a mainly dialogue-based game would be a piece of cake! Any tips for beating that bit?
    Use the shields like Forged said. There should be some in the weapons cabinet and a couple on the bodies of the earlier enemy. Once in a while Wade will chime in about a power console that has been temporarily reactivated, and when that happens it’s a straight race between you and the assassin (he/she will try to recharge the suit and heal up). It helps to know the ship like the back of your hand in order to get there first, or at least turn up while the assassin is in the middle of recharging because they can’t move or shoot during the recharge process.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    It helps to know the ship like the back of your hand in order to get there first
    Ah, I knew about the first part of that but not the second. Thanks! 'Nigh impossible uphill battle' was what it felt like, so I may well have been missing some shields too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Finished Valiant Hearts. Overall an interesting and worthwhile experience (7/10). They do a good job at conveying the absolute horror of WWI*. There's a fair degree of contrivance thrown into the games narrative, but nothing too egregious to the overall. My only real criticism is that on occasion there are some rhythm style mini-games that are pretty tedious if they're not your forte (certainly not mine) as they reset to the first stage on any mistake. I was OK with them up towards the final part of the game where in one particularly extended sequence forced me to hunt down a process hack to slow the game down (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...es-muo-gaming/) so I could finally get past it. Definitely a sequence that fell on the wrong side of the fun/frustration meter.

The story is pretty well done, and the game is littered with collectables all of which have historical write ups and imagery associated with them. Be aware they don't hold back on the grimness.

* I highly recommend Dan Carlins 'blueprint to Armageddon' episodes in his 'hardcore history' podcast series if you want to learn more about WWI. Podcast is here: -

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    * I highly recommend Dan Carlins 'blueprint to Armageddon' episodes in his 'hardcore history' podcast series if you want to learn more about WWI. Podcast is here: -

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh
    Off topic but I second this. Just listened to the first of these and I liked it a lot.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    edit: it's late and I'm not sure I'm not mixing it up with another game. I know the shield helped a lot but I'll check the details tomorrow. Sorry for any confusion,
    Alright, I got around to double checking it.
    Yes, you can use 4 shields in Consortium. Depending on your difficulty setting, you may need to look around a bit or loot it off enemies. By that point, you should have met and dealt with some enemies before, even if you do so peacefully you can loot some shields of them. The specific enemy you're fighting however can have four shields as well, that's where I was wrong. Still, 4 shields versus 0 shield, the difference is quite a bit.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Voodoo + training monkeys to steal + shooting people in dialogue = fun. Seriously, the game is janky, but pure fun.
    Bought a Monkey in Risen 2 and used it to rob a storehouse. Then ran around town as everyone doted on it. Everyone loves my Monkey even if it is obviously a malevolent, larcenous little imp.

Havenít shot anyone in the face yet, thatís my next life goal. Right after Iíve told Channi to shut the fuck up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Greygamer View Post
    By a strange coincidence it is today's daily deal on steam 80% off (£2.99 or £3.99 for the gold edition)
    Spooky, must be the the voodoo, who-do-what-you-don't-dare-do people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, God, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS has got me. Send well-done steaks. ;_; I know it's based off a game that's several years old that ran on antiquated hardware, but it's still a beautiful little port.

It baffles me that after the PC Master Race judged Demon's Souls worthy we don't have regular petitions/news articles/whatever demanding Capcom bring this franchise over (apart from that online-only version they got in Asia). Slow, methodical, detailed, arguably very open (despite the obvious restrictions), can potentially be played for hundreds of hours, ridiculously obtuse at times, ludicrously difficult if you're not careful, demands co-operation in multiplayer... I mean there'd be the usual screaming about lack of visual bells and whistles (though the art direction is gorgeous) but I'd be amazed if there's no market there.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Today, a lesson in "Ask the Community." Lately I've been digging Metroidvania games. Looking for something new and different. Loved Unepic so I figure, why not expand my horizons?

I did. All the way to Valdis Story. Its beautiful, unique and has cool magic and combat systems.

All of which would matter if the boss fights were not absolute shit. These are the gimmick bosses other devs threw out for being either too time consuming, too repetitive, having too many timed gimmicks or otherwise just in general trying to piss off the audience far more than entertain them. Far. More.

Really, unless you are truly desperate for a Metroidvania game skip this. Those bosses really just drag down the entire affair to unforgivable lows.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I've been playing a bit of Blood Dragon. It's enjoyable but I find a bit annoying how it wants to have its cake and eat it.
    It mocks boring tutorials while having one. The same with collectibles. It's silly to mock them while still having them.
    I never felt this cake and eat it thing. I think the reason Blood Dragon is so good is because its devoid of self aware ironic bullshit. It's just totally stupid. I think people think its trying to be arch and ironic because basically everything else in culture is at present, but if you look at it as though its playing everything straight it works. You could look at its tutorial as hipster and clever, or you could look at it as a videogame which like most games requires a tutorial which it delivers firmly tongue in cheek and lacquered in smart alecyness because that's in keeping with the sort of Steven Segale experience it intends to be.

Compare it to pretty much any other game which pretends to be ironic or make a comic point and it comes out looking far purer and devoid of pretension. Most of said games rely on some form of tension or hypocrisy between mechanics and message, but Blood Dragon is a game about being a cyborg commando who thwarts an army of neon terrorists on an electric dinosaur island. That's the game from start to finish, and there's no attempt to deliver anything other than that.
    Last edited by sonson; 08-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Guacamelee is a decent metroidvania if you're still looking. I have to confess that the bosses are not great (they have a pattern of inconsistent reactions), but only one is really annoying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've also been dipping back into Driver: San Francisco, and I'm really pleased to discover it's still one of my favourite games ever. One of the few games I've ever played which is fairly narrative-heavy - even relatively serious about it - yet also completely in love with the idea it's a ridiculous videogame. It's just still so much goddamned fun, even three years on - the visuals have dated (and they were hardly cutting-edge when it came out) but the sense of atmosphere, of exploration, of discovery, of being encouraged at every turn to mess about with the ludicrous central mechanic as much as you want... there's simply no other racing game like it. There's always one more silly little minigame or diversion to keep you playing when you need a break from the story, restarts are quick and easy, you never have to worry too much about screwing something up and the whole thing's so breezy and light-hearted (helped by that fantastic soundtrack) it just puts a smile on my face in minutes, every time. And even though I've only put a couple of hours into it this time that phenomenal penultimate level deserves a mention again, just because.

I wonder if the multiplayer's still going...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    In fairness didnt Far Cry 3 do the same things and make the same excuses? Either way, glad its not just me who saw this. I really thought I was nitpicking. And maybe we are, who knows, but I completely agree.

When the Witcher wanted to mock games for having people toss themselves off of towers and into a bale of hay they put a dead dude in white robes in a bale of hay, as opposed to, you know, making you do the same stupid shit yourself.

If you want to parody something, fine, but face facts: Unless your name is Leslie Nielsen you arent going to get away with by doing the same things you plan to make fun of time and time again.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Guacamelee is a decent metroidvania if you're still looking. I have to confess that the bosses are not great (they have a pattern of inconsistent reactions), but only one is really annoying.
    Thanks for the heads up. I am back to Unepic again for a time. And I am still struggling along with Valdis, too. I want to like it. It does a lot of good stuff.

What troubles me about Valdis, to tell the truth, is that it copies a trend I see all too often in big budget games that still choose - for some regrettable reason or other - to include boss fights: Taking away all freedom and choice a player has and replacing it with one gimmicky tactic that everyone has to use in order to finish a boss fight.

I know by now its become cliche to rant about a game or developer choice and then say, "But Dark Souls/the Souls games..." But I'm still gonna do it. Cause shoes that fit and all that.

Of all the games I have played over the years, and all the annoying boss battles I have suffered, the Souls games are the one IP that get it right. They still have dedicated, unique bosses - I refuse to acknowledge Bethesda games as having bosses; bigger health bars alone do not a boss make - but the Souls games just let you keep doing what you built your character to do in order to beat bosses. Mostly. Cause I am pretty sure that "toss fire bombs and piles of poo over a wall to cheese Capra wasnt what I had in mind, but I digress...

When it comes to bosses, the Souls games get it right. They dont force you take your mage or warrior and start leaping all over the room, throwing levers and letting huge stones hit the boss to roll them belly up and/or expose a weak spot so you can hit it "in the right place." The souls games ask you to built a character to hit things as you like to hit them, and they damned well do their utmost to keep things varied and fresh while steadfastly allowing you to keep hitting things the way you like to hit them.

Ok. End of rant. Sorry to hijack things. Thanks again for the tip. Now I have pulled myself away from the Fight the Dragon editor and Unepic for a bit I may well check our Guacamelee.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    To be honest, I've got beef with modern Metroidvanias. I appreciate what games like Guacamelee, Shadow Complex and Valdis Story are trying to do and if one were to go by a checklist, they'd fit the genre perfectly. But I can't get myself to enjoy them and the prime suspect for that is Level Design.
    The Levels just don't have a natural flow. It's hard to explain but what I mean by that is the following things. If you take Super Metroid and look at something like Backtracking, there's a key difference between the Backtracking then and the backtracking now. Here's how Super Metroid dealt with Backtracking and new gadgets. Usually the gadgets open up a new way, often a shortcut back or a path ahead. You instantly tread new ground, new and dangerous, unknown but still feeling great from your new toy. Backtracking only happens much later, often after you've collected a whole bunch of toys and is usually limited to passing a small handful of early rooms on your way to a new area. It serves a purpose: To show you how far you've come from the humble beginnings of your journey. And while you're there, your new gadgets open up some nice new options, so you're finding new other ways along the way. Heck, in Super Metroid you were actually finding entire pathways and minilevels hidden away for you to find and explore. You're technically backtracking but you're also treading new ground at the same time.

Something like Valdis Story gives you the toy, you beat the boss and then it tells you to just do everything in reverse. There's no natural progression, no flow in the level design. Just a simple, now go back exactly the same way you came. You fight the same enemies but there's no real difference in power or playerskill, because it happens right after a boss fight. You may find some hidden parts, but it's never another path, just a spot where you obediently press the right button and a new powerup falls into your lap.
    Guacamelee occasionally does better, but stretches the gimmick far too long. There's one section where, well no spoilers but it has you running back the entire level again. Using new pathways - good. But relying on one singular gimmick - bad.

And that's with the better made Metroidvanias. I can't count how many of them seem to think that having colored doors with keycards makes for great leveldesign. Yeah Metroid had those. But not just those. Keys were missiles but you get the idea. Which is also why I think Dark Souls could be a true Metroidvania, the second one... not so much. For the same reason: Metroidvanias require a certain finesse and consistency in Leveldesign to make work. Not a whole lot of people have the talent for that and judging by garbage like Other M, perhaps it was even just a fluke.
    Last edited by theForged; 08-07-2014 at 10:09 PM.

To be honest, I've got beef with modern Metroidvanias.
    In the... what, 20 years?... since Super Metroid, there have been very few "Metroidvanias" that deserve the name. Most of them focus on the -vania part. Even UnEpic is mostly just a platformer with an inventory and XP system.

Have you tried Magicians and Looters? I won't compare it to Super Metroid (nothing has earned that honour), but some of the right Metroid principles clearly influenced the design, and it's got a few nice tricks of its own. It's surprisingly well-designed for a studio's first game that originally surfaced in a Groupees.