Page 1124 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 12462410241074111411221123112411251126113411741224 ... LastLast
Results 22,461 to 22,480 of 25144
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    First time playing nuclear throne in a few days, and I get to the throne room for the first time ever on my first run. I also lost, but not after putting every single bullet I had into the end boss. One of the few early access games I've ever put money into, because at this point it feels fairly done, it's just like little bits of free content every week or so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've been on King of Dragon Pass the last few days, wondering why I'd never heard of this 1999 game before.

'under 8000 sales for the original release of King of Dragon Pass' - Eurogamer's The story of King of Dragon Pass

Ah. That'll be why. The game is kind of a turn-based fantasy viking text adventure wrapped in Banished survival elements where you have to lead a tribe to prosperity and eventually unite the land against the dark things of the world. At the moment my biggest concern is not starving to death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I've been on King of Dragon Pass the last few days, wondering why I'd never heard of this 1999 game before.

'under 8000 sales for the original release of King of Dragon Pass' - Eurogamer's The story of King of Dragon Pass

Ah. That'll be why. The game is kind of a turn-based fantasy viking text adventure wrapped in Banished survival elements where you have to lead a tribe to prosperity and eventually unite the land against the dark things of the world. At the moment my biggest concern is not starving to death.
    It has always been a cult game, but now it also has an updated iOS version which has been fairly successful. Shame they never updated the PC one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Divinity: Original Sin just ate 13 hours of my life in one weekend. Thanks, Larian!

Network Hub
    And the Android version of King of Dragon Pass is supposed to be released any day now !

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I started the annual JA2 v 1.13 playthrough.

As usual, I love this game but every time I play it I'm more and more annoyed at tons of really dull micromanagement and at how fast the combat stops being enjoyable and becomes way too lethal. First skirmishes when your 2-3 experienced AIM guys fight 7-8 redshirts are very entertaining and can be done without abusing saveload or dumb AI. But it gets progressively worse as blackshirts arrive in numbers, they always see you first and interrupt you every time. So you have to abuse stealth and sniping because enemies are very passive when attacked from beyond their visual range. Or you can hit and run. Still it doesn't feel very good. I wish someone improved the strategic layer and AI. Obviously not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Today I start the game up again with the aim of completing the DLCs on low chaos and... I just fail. I manage to choke out all the hostiles outside the factory but once I'm inside, I got five or six butchers onto my ass in no time. I swear they pick out exactly which dark corner I hide the bodies in every time now. Plus I probably just suck more after being stabby-go-lucky for the rest of the missions. Anyway, it's frustrating as hell and I'm probably gonna leave the second playthrough for another time.
    I dunno if it's any different for Elite difficulty, but... never, never hide bodies on the ground if you can possibly avoid it. Up on pipes, on top of crates, anything, as long as it's not some random dark corner. Ghosting is a lot easier once you keep that in mind.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Ghosting is a lot easier once you keep that in mind.
    Ghosts don't leave bodies.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Ghosts don't leave bodies.
    True! But hey - even as someone who's played the original Thief trilogy, if the game doesn't enforce that, who am I to argue?

EDIT: On the off-chance you weren't just making a joke, the only thing that stops you getting the achievement is if people find them, or if the body clearly saw you before you choked them out or whatever.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 14-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Less a joke, more a self directed hard mode. Distractions, switched off lights, noises all fair. But guards waking up in bins?

As I posted before, I installed Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance to try a two monitor setup...only to remember that I don't really like strategy games. I somehow seem to miss the part of the human brain that manages RTS games - I absolutely suck at them. Ended up deleting the game after slogging through 90 minutes of the first mission. I can see why RTS-minded people like it though.

Not knowing what to play, I went back to Torchlight 1. Since I'm having a surprising amount of fun, I'll probably finish it now (I still had an old character). Last weekend, I played a lot of Guild Wars 2 with friends.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Less a joke, more a self directed hard mode. Distractions, switched off lights, noises all fair. But guards waking up in bins?
    Did you ever ghost Dishonored in that way? I see throwable objects everywhere but I never actually have a good opportunity to use them. Maybe I just need to look harder. My usual M.O. for low chaos is to choke out everyone on the level and then pick it clean before completing the mission. I haven't noticed many places where a distracting noise is crucial to avoid detection.

Also, the only light sources that I found you can switch off are candlesticks. Going back to Dishonored after Metro: Last Light was really jarring as I was still looking for ways to take out all the light sources, which simply isn't possible for the majority of them in Dishonored.

I've not actually finished dishonoured because my Wife saw me playing it, liked it and forbade me from playing it in case I overwrote her saves, she's nearly done with the DLC I own so I guess I'll get to play it soon. I literally ghosted (not even smashed bulbs) splinter cell chaos theory religiously every few months, sadly blacklist has a few areas that's literally impossible (how do we feel about tranquilising dogs), I mean, the dogs hardly going to file a report, but what if Middle East guerrillas drug test their dogs... Oh, yeah the guys interrogating Kobin, and on the train and... Yeah... Guess it's chocabloc with areas you need to be disruptive, but dishonoured seems like between teleporting and freezing time you'd be able get by even a heavily guarded choke point with a more true ghost status.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    As I posted before, I installed Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance to try a two monitor setup...only to remember that I don't really like strategy games.
    Supreme Commander is a truly awful single player strategy game, completely entrenched in a early 90's mindset of rts single player with tripwire plot triggers and infinite unit spam.

Ground Control(1), Company of Heroes(1), Dawn of War 2, Creeper World 3 and Sacrifice are probably the best examples of RTS single player I can think of(I'd mention Frozen Synapse with its WEGO turns too. Many swear by the blizzard games (SC1 and WC3)but the script triggering is extremely familiar to all the die hard fans who are now blind to it.

As much as I love many other RTS (home world, sup com, settlers series' for example) it's for the multiplayer and skirmish, the single player campaigns are often dreadful tutorials or a testbed for multiplayer strategies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    With knocking out/not knocking out in stealth games, it's always a matter of thinking whether or not the guard in question is an irritation, if you need anything in their area, or if you're even ever going to return. There's plenty of places in dishonored and the old thief games (and new thief is almost nothing but, owing to the extensive and unfortunate sawtoothing in the design) where you will clear out and never return. Why knock out a guard whose body might just set off alarms later? Keeping knockouts to a small essential core of guards that need to go is actually the easiest way through. And yeah, after examining it, guards in dishonored home in on bodies and change routes to automatically cover knocked out guards (which sounds good, except it happens via psychic magic. Knock out a guard on the top floor? Miraculously, bottom floor guard will start climbing the stairs to fill in his route, changing your entire layout of guard patrol patterns!) I mean, I've specifically constructed circumstances to watch it happen. Put bodies where guards physically cannot get to or it'll almost certainly bite you.

Obviously none of that applies if you're doing no knockouts or any other self-imposed rules, but as a general guideline, I know I've often just knocked out people to save me trouble, only for it to frequently cause me more trouble.

Not to be picky but Ground Control and FS are more tactical and GR games' story is a mess.
    I never felt like playing anything but all of the above and homeworld/wh40k games though (especially because GR and homeworld were my first tactical and rts games and I still love them).
    post in progress

More Monster Hunter. Half an hour, that boss took me - half an hour of running around and chasing his fat ass through the jungle, desperately chugging items while my AI ally was getting stomped into the ground, frantically clearing out all the minions that regenerated every time he ran back into a new area, panicking every time I dodged thinking I'd got it wrong and was just about to roll right into his ground slam or AoE (hey, he only farted on me twice), swearing as my stamina gauge dipped lower, lower, lower and I could barely keep up with him, let alone run for my life when he went hyper mode. And he was one of the easiest - not even the first "true" boss. Sure, I could have done a far better job - I thought I'd try it without attack and defence power-ups because surely my weapon was up to making short work of him (oh God how wrong was I?), and I completely wasted my traps and tranquilisers because I tried to use them on him far too early. But still. Half an hour on someone whom the last boss could stamp on and never even notice he'd done it.

(I love this game.)

GR=GC? If so I agree, the plot was a bit of a mess but it's not bad if you consider it's era and that it has a completely non sexualised female protagonist.

Oh, poo to you. It's plenty strategic when you need to split your force up and you only have 3 drop pods and 12 units, the artillery and spotters pod better hope your opponents didn't bring attack aerodynes before you can get that second pod down.

The game truly needs a resource counter to be strategy eh? Thinking like that caused world in conflict.

yep/100000
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm not sure Amalur's world is quite that strong, but it manages to evoke some of the same feeling, and I've certainly spent my fair share of time aimlessly wandering rather than pursuing any of the stuff I was supposed to be pursuing.

Amalur's world pissed me off for one reason: there are a lot of areas where you can't step down from a small ledge. A lot of knee-high drops are blocked by invisible walls. I have to circle around like an idiot until the game allows me to go down.