Page 1126 of 1212 FirstFirst ... 1266261026107611161124112511261127112811361176 ... LastLast
Results 22,501 to 22,520 of 24230
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Isn't the spy drone about the size of a basketball or something, despite being meant to come out of your eye?

Anyway, after doing some dubious internal soldering on my formerly broken joystick in preparation for all the space games, I'm going through the Freespace series. Just finished the first one. Also, playing Original Sin, and I just got Remember Me on the Steam cheaps.
    FSOinstaller.com

seriously.

(Silent Threat:Reborn is probably the best mod ever)
    The above post was actually about ethics in games' journalism.

Join FolkARPS, the finest combination of tractors and Arma 3 manshooting you'll find anywhere.
    Join our racing games subforum! Because there is only one thing better then a car wot go fast... And that's moar cars wot go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    FSOinstaller.com

seriously.

(Silent Threat:Reborn is probably the best mod ever)
    I got me FSO and the myriad enhancements. Skipped over the FS1 expansions for now, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Never did beat Psychonauts, so I've been trying to put some time into that, and while I love the world and the script and the storytelling as much as I ever did (though the score is so-so and the performances are weirdly flat at times) the actual game underneath... ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. Despite what some people with rose-tinted glasses seem to think, it really was always a fairly so-so 3D platformer stuffed with far too many ideas that mechanically speaking just don't work as well as they probably did on paper - far too much fiddly jumping, far too many long, tedious corridors, far too many wacky little attempts to upend the conventions of the genre (or something) that grate on the nerves in seconds (Lungfishopolis is really, really pissing me off at the moment, basically).

And it's far less polished than that art design would suggest, too - it's buggy and glitchy and occasionally annoyingly poorly presented, with tutorial pop-ups appearing out of order and so on. I've got stuck multiple times and wasted half an hour's play more than once, all because of simple little things which someone surely ought to have caught in QA, or at least in the Steam makeover. Schafer's a visionary, a very funny man and comes across as a pretty decent human being when he's doing publicity, etc. - but I just don't believe he knows as much about making great games as people think. Psi-Ops got to market before this back in the day, right? Mechanically that game simply beats Psychonauts hollow. I'm always delighted to see Double Fine making more games, but I doubt there's anything they could announce at this point that'd have me queueing up (figuratively) on day one, and when there's so much that's wonderful about what they do I think that's a god damned shame.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 15-07-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Network Hub
    Isn't that a typical Double Fine classification? Great character, but meh-canics? Lots of charming ideas of the "wouldn't it be cool, if..." type, but lacking in execution? It's a common thread that runs through all their games.

Now bring on the flames. I'll bring the steaks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Isn't that a typical Double Fine classification? Great character, but meh-canics? Lots of charming ideas of the "wouldn't it be cool, if..." type, but lacking in execution? It's a common thread that runs through all their games.

Oh, sure! Just I've seen a few arguments in particular from crazy/overly nostalgic people here going "No, Psychonauts was brilliant, it was a great platformer etc., etc." - and I just wanted my turn stressing that it really wasn't, since I was playing it not ten minutes beforehand, and I know a fairly average platformer under a layer of great art design when I see one.

Qvadriga.

Epic campiagn mode means permadeath for your charioteers at the whim of cruel gods. Bad news for Massilius then, champion of the plebeians who honoured Rome with his first and well deserved visit with the spectacle of his bloody carcass being dragged the full length of the track. Defeat is bitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    So, I just finished Wolfenstein New Order. Bloody brilliant game. Haven't had so much fun with an fps for ages. Maybe since Shadow Warrior but again ages before that one. Great shooting and, for my sins, I really liked the story. They managed to develop their characters a notch above the average and, though the story was nothing out of the ordinary, it unfolded well.

My only issue: the id engine. The constant texture popping just got on my nerves and even gave me mild headaches at times. I have a 780 and it handles everything maxed, it looks fairly good, but there was nothing I could do about the textures popping up every time I moved my mouse. Bleugh.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post

Since you're promising steaks, it's really hard to resist your invitation...
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Since you're promising steaks, it's really hard to resist your invitation...
    <whisper>I can't wait to see his face once I unwrap these tasteless tofu steaks.</whisper>

*giggles diabolically*

Once you were Vegan, and now you'll be-gone. Pass me the flamethrower, please.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

it's kinda hilarious that I hired a lot of people from the villages in Swadia and then go to war against them with the Sarranids. I think I have about 16 of them on my ranks but I'd like to pretend it's lile they're going on a civil war but with Arabs on their side. What's more hilarious is that Matheld, one of my Nord hero warriors, goes on singing the song of her people in battle as Nizar said... against the Nords. Think I'll side with the Nords or Rhodoks later if they're still hangin.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

NIPPON DOMINATION-log or new playthrough of Shogun 2 in which I may fail miserably and restart several times-log

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    it's kinda hilarious that I hired a lot of people from the villages in Swadia and then go to war against them with the Sarranids. I think I have about 16 of them on my ranks but I'd like to pretend it's lile they're going on a civil war but with Arabs on their side. What's more hilarious is that Matheld, one of my Nord hero warriors, goes on singing the song of her people in battle as Nizar said... against the Nords. Think I'll side with the Nords or Rhodoks later if they're still hangin.
    I have a special place in my heart for the Rhodoks. Those spears and crossbows! But for the lack of good cavalry, they tend to get slaughtered in open fields.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Never did beat Psychonauts, so I've been trying to put some time into that, and while I love the world and the script and the storytelling as much as I ever did (though the score is so-so and the performances are weirdly flat at times) the actual game underneath... ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. Despite what some people with rose-tinted glasses seem to think, it really was always a fairly so-so 3D platformer stuffed with far too many ideas that mechanically speaking just don't work as well as they probably did on paper - far too much fiddly jumping, far too many long, tedious corridors, far too many wacky little attempts to upend the conventions of the genre (or something) that grate on the nerves in seconds (Lungfishopolis is really, really pissing me off at the moment, basically).

And it's far less polished than that art design would suggest, too - it's buggy and glitchy and occasionally annoyingly poorly presented, with tutorial pop-ups appearing out of order and so on. I've got stuck multiple times and wasted half an hour's play more than once, all because of simple little things which someone surely ought to have caught in QA, or at least in the Steam makeover. Schafer's a visionary, a very funny man and comes across as a pretty decent human being when he's doing publicity, etc. - but I just don't believe he knows as much about making great games as people think. Psi-Ops got to market before this back in the day, right? Mechanically that game simply beats Psychonauts hollow. I'm always delighted to see Double Fine making more games, but I doubt there's anything they could announce at this point that'd have me queueing up (figuratively) on day one, and when there's so much that's wonderful about what they do I think that's a god damned shame.
    Saints Row IV was Psychonauts spiritual successor, but with better mechanics.

For all I agree with most of what you say I still think it's a thing of beauty. It's more or less objectively funny, and it's more original in it's intent if not execution than most things have been since it's release. If Lungfishopolis is the furthest you've got it does find it's feet somewhat around the end of the mid section, when you get Gloria's Theatre, Waterloo and Black Veveltopia in a triumvirate of tragic delightfulness. It's surprisingly powerful in relation to it's discussion of institutional abuse and mental trauma, without ever morlaising or laying it on thick. Just well written stuff.

Obscure Node
    Tried playing The Wolf Among Us but found the voice acting sounds too forced for my liking :(
    Probably should try to finish the first episode at the least, though.

Anyone else have any issues with it?

Obscure Node
    Just finished Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay: The Remake with another game shoved in.
    And I had a blast; very underrated back in the day, and now largely forgotten. But man, let me tell you - voice acting is one of the best I've heard recently in games, just a nice stealthy FPS with great claustrophobic atmosphere.

If they only made an Aliens game in this engine...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Saints Row IV was Psychonauts spiritual successor, but with better mechanics.

For all I agree with most of what you say I still think it's a thing of beauty. It's more or less objectively funny, and it's more original in it's intent if not execution than most things have been since it's release. If Lungfishopolis is the furthest you've got it does find it's feet somewhat around the end of the mid section, when you get Gloria's Theatre, Waterloo and Black Veveltopia in a triumvirate of tragic delightfulness. It's surprisingly powerful in relation to it's discussion of institutional abuse and mental trauma, without ever morlaising or laying it on thick. Just well written stuff.
    No, no, I got to Waterloo, I think, the first time. But that was years ago, and I never finished it.

And yeah, I totally agree it's a thing people should play. I'd have said that back then and I'd still say it now. I'm not sure it's ever quite as funny as it thinks it is (though we'll see how much I laugh at the Milkman Conspiracy this time, I guess), but it is still wonderfully odd, and yes, surprisingly thoughtful for all its constant weirdness. I'm just not sure I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who isn't prepared to put up with its shortcomings, and I think for something so fantastically inventive with its heart in the right place that's a real shame. It's as if your friend just saw a poster or an ad or a trailer that makes a film look like the best thing ever and you've seen it already so you know - with this sort of sinking feeling - you need to explain it's really not quite that amazing. Describe Lungfishopolis to anyone with a soul and how can you not make it sound awesome? But it's slow, tedious, not terribly challenging, largely empty, I got stuck in the scenery at one point, broke the game at another and had to start over both times.

(I wasn't posting in a "Stop the presses!" way, merely to vent in a "Yeah. Yeah. I guess this really was something of a missed opportunity, wasn't it?" sort of way. Just saying.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Currently playing Firefall once more.

As of 7/15/14, the game received its 1.0 release. It will be available to the general public 7/29/14.

I went back full of doubts and hesitation. Pretty much thinking, this is it, the day I finally say goodbye forever. I was prepared to sigh wistfully, thinking of what might have been, and forever uninstall the game.

I was - I am pleased to say - quite wrong.

I don't know how they did it. They released a beautiful looking game. It plays smooth. Crafting now offers some depth, but has much less (needless) complexity. Resources make sense. Leveling makes sense.

But best of all, its an open world shooter with plenty to do, lots to explore, numerous classes - and jetpacks. Especially Jetpacks. Cause, who doesnt like those, amiright? PVP is back as well, and in a pretty cool format with a shifting battlefield and resource control. So they have that, too.

Against all odds, Red 5 pulled it out and they have the beginnings now of a very engaging open world, sci-fi shooter. That is free to play. And pretty fun to boot.

I recommend folks check it out. If you decide to come in early, I am fairly certain those who like exploration, smooth, fast movement, jetpacks and shooters will get their money's worth from the $30 pack. However, on the 29th its free to the world. Either way, its well worth checking out the 1.0 version of Firefall.

I never, ever thought I would say that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The problem with Firefall is that they've burned so much good will over the course of it's development that the game itself could be a shining masterpiece by now - but not enough players will give it another chance. It will probably close down in a few months for lack of players.

Anyway, been playing Abyss Odyssey. It took forever to stop my head from calling it Abe's Odyssey and seeing how this lame joke pops up all over the internet, that's a common problem. So... I'm liking it a lot. The first impression in the game is rather brutal though. I wasn't yet familiar with the game mechanics and how they work and as a result, the game felt incredibly clunky to the point of being utterly frustrating.
    They're making it a hard game to sell, because once I understood the mechanics and the controls, all feelings of clunkiness disappeared and it's now smooth as silk with attacks flowing into each other, combos, dodges, launching the enemies into the air and juggling them for a bit. It's great. But sheesh does the early impression leave a bad taste. The Steam Forums are flooded with complaints about the controls. The problem is, the game wants you to commit to your attacks. In the same way as Dark Souls did, you swing that sword, you're going to see it land. You punch that enemy, you're going to be in the animation until it ends. There are however so called cancels. You can cancel out of any attack and into another. This makes it very fluid once you know how to play.
    But in a stroke of oh god whyyyyy, they included a recharging cancel bar. Once you've used up your charges, you can no longer cancel out of an attack until the bar has regenerated. And early on, you don't start with a whole lot of bars. Silly. Silly. Silly. They basically shot themselves in the foot with that one, making sure only those that persist through the frustrating and clunky early experience get to experience the fluidity of combat.

/edit: Oh and the Soundtrack... the Soundtrack is great.
    Last edited by theForged; 16-07-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Activated Node
    Thanks for the thoughts - I've been on the fence with it, as it hits all my obsession buttons, but I'm not sure I need another game of the type when I still have Valdis Story and Rogue Legacy to work through. I'll see how weak I am feeling this evening :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Overcooking the microwave burger in The Cat Lady was genuinely distressing... It had the quality of watching a nice old movie after a horror. You are squirming at things that are not even scary. Go away godamn crow, time for some longest journey style problem solving.

I'm further along now, near an old lady who doesn't like cats. Clearly The Cat Lady cannot let this stand!

Planetside 1... Boy its empty, I did some tutorials and buzzed about in a scout jet, its such a graveyard, But I remember these places.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/