Page 1130 of 1203 FirstFirst ... 1306301030108011201128112911301131113211401180 ... LastLast
Results 22,581 to 22,600 of 24050
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Whipped through the cooperative of Splinter Cell: Conviction again with a lovely matchmaking opponent, there's a novelty.Made a point to get his name and friend-list them, you understand its impossible to communicate with your opponent so when we both holstered our weapons at the end and ran about the plane it was a nice little nod to our cooperation without real communication.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I finished Portal and nearly finished Portal 2 all in one day :p. I'm now starting Divinity and Rift. Both are great games.
    And I can't forget the constant flow of League of Legends never stops XD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I want to ask, is there any 128-player Battlefield 3 server still around? New to the game for about just one to two months and still cannot locate one. I think those ran during Beta opening, though banned officially, ran very well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, playing more xcom.

First exalt mission. That was an experience in huge waves of spawning in an incredibly cramped map. I won, with zero losses, but most of my squad were badly injured.

Second, the famed newfoundland map. I'd never played it before, but I knew it was chrysalid hell. I've got an approach for it next time, but I had to abort. Lost half of the supports the game has ever given me (1 person... I have four fucking snipers and enough heavies that I'm starting to turn them into robots just to get rid of them.) which is a major disaster in my books and 2 rookies, because priormentioned exalt mission didn't leave me much to play with. The rookies are no great loss, however. Next time I'm going to stay up on the top level of the pier. I went down to the bottom one, trying to balance long sight lines for chrysalid spotting and blasting for having one flank covered by the sea, but because of the fog of war, couldn't see the only entry to the ship was up above, and during backtracking, accidentally got jumped by chrysalids at point blank range, which sent a fairly controlled approach to shit instantaneously, and cost me everything. Besides the support snuffing it, at least the extraction went smoothly. Unfortunately she panicked. Hunkering down doesn't help you against chrysalids. Running for the dropship would've. :I

Homeworld, Unturned, and Space Engineers​.
    Steam: tryqus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I've been binging on Risk of Rain for the last two weeks. Just unlocked the final item and artifact, putting my completion rate at an irksome 98% with two monster logs to farm from the two rarest-spawning bosses. I'm impressed by how much variation the game manages to squeeze out of the same levels and enemies, but I think that elusive 2% is compelling me more than my enjoyment of the game at this point. I've enjoyed getting my face pummeled in though, and some of the artifacts mix the game up enough that I'll get a fair few more hours out of it. I particularly like the one that makes you (and your enemies) run faster as your health depletes. That said, the Artifact of Command breaks the game, and a few of the others simply make the game harder for the sake of masochism.

Risk of Rain's best innovation is the periodic difficulty increases, and playing on the hardest setting turns the usual item-and-XP hoovering of this sort of game into a frantic rush to the end, grabbing what little you can on your way as you curse your slow, foolish feet. If you don't find the teleporter to the next level as quickly as possible, no amount of items will save you from the crushing wave of enemies that will spawn, either on this stage or the next. Unfortunately, actually winning on this difficulty with certain characters almost necessitates finding certain items, like the Wicked Ring on the Mercenary. Co-op is brilliant and obscenely hard, and surely will be my reason to return.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I want to ask, is there any 128-player Battlefield 3 server still around? New to the game for about just one to two months and still cannot locate one. I think those ran during Beta opening, though banned officially, ran very well.
    I don't think I've ever seen those except during the beta. I also cannot imagine why you would want to play on a server that size. Even 64 players is a bit too much on many maps. I think 48 players works very well on conquest large.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen those except during the beta. I also cannot imagine why you would want to play on a server that size. Even 64 players is a bit too much on many maps. I think 48 players works very well on conquest large.
    It's psychological, give a child a super ultra gob stopper, then give them a just usually large gob stopper. The child will complain that it's small, Even though it's still too big really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Joint Ops had above 120 players per map and it was very fun to play,also quite big maps. Same with mod for Battlefield 2,Project Reality,one of the best mods yes yes! Ljubav se ne pise tkao oko za oko zub za zub! :v

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I want to ask, is there any 128-player Battlefield 3 server still around?
    Come join us in Planetside 2! 64 vs 64? Pah! How about 364 vs 364 in a giant server smash event to decide the name of two servers combined into one. Or just the regular 60-a-side 3 way battles on live servers. Or when all the TR you have been harassing from the skies pull mosquito fighters at the same time and it turns into the battle of britain, dozens of fighters in a huge cloud of dogfighting. Amazing.

Anyhoo, playing way too much Divinity: Original Sin at the moment. Also tempted back into Firefall pre-release with the promise of free stuff. It's interesting to play a more finished version of what I tried in beta ages ago. Still love the jetpacking around, the landacape, the combat, the freedom of not tying you into certain missions/a specific form of progression.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wolfenstein: The New Order. After four hours or so... yeah, the old Starbreeze guys (the good Starbreeze) seem to have done it again. It's not entirely without some notable problems - The Last of Us this ain't, much as it plainly wants to be to some degree - but I'm still hugely enjoying it and I applaud Machinegames' efforts to bring subtlety and grace to even the stupidest comic book material.

Went bundle-scraping and came up with Croixleur Sigma. Ho hum. Another Japanese doujin game that's basically a half-decent combat system with a tissue-thin single-player structure and some lazy nerd bait (OH MY GOODNESS THEY'RE TOTALLY LESBIANS tee hee hee) draped over the top. It's not bad, exactly (though the anime nudge-nudge wink-wink stuff is reprehensible), but it's just so geared towards obsessive shut-ins who don't have a console - so much effort for so little reward - that I can't see myself going back to it much.

Still trying to finish Psychonauts. God damn but Meat Circus really is terrible, huh? No, Tim, a jokey Steam achievement doesn't make up for it - this is the kind of idiotic design I feel like you should be apologising to me for. I'm still appreciating the art and the writing and all the rest of it but I'll be very, very glad when I'm done with this one for good (and I'm still not ruling out just giving up in disgust).

I also cannot imagine why you would want to play on a server that size. Even 64 players is a bit too much on many maps. I think 48 players works very well on conquest large.
    I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't, but after the response to Titanfall there's plainly always going to be a subset of players for whom bigger is better. Just because. Give it five years - ten? - and we'll have "1024 vs 1024? Pah! When it was in beta we had 20,000 people going head to head AND IT WAS AWESOME DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA POW" even though most people would load up such a thing and (understandably) instantly dismiss it as a chaotic, indecipherable mess.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 20-07-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I'm not against the idea of huge games in principle, it's just that the maps in BF3 are specifically designed for 64 players (and many are optimally played with less). Titanfall is specifically designed for 12 players, which is fine too. No shame in dreaming big, but it would be more reasonable to work with a platform that supports it. Like PS2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not against the idea of huge games in principle, it's just that the maps in BF3 are specifically designed for 64 players (and many are optimally played with less). Titanfall is specifically designed for 12 players, which is fine too. No shame in dreaming big, but it would be more reasonable to work with a platform that supports it. Like PS2.
    I'm not arguing that (I can't, rather, since I haven't played it) but it seemed like Titanfall hadn't even been out a few hours before half the internet was proclaiming "See, I told you such a small number of players would be like the most boring thing ever". Nothing to do with design or map size or gameplay mechanics or anything else - not beyond the most basic understanding of those things, at least. There's a significant demographic among gamers (or a very vocal minority, if nothing else) who just think more people running around going pew pew pew is automatically better. They turn up for every single shooter on consoles - platform exclusive or cross - proclaiming "Oh, of course the PC could do ten times that". They don't care whether there's any reason for having 16 v 16 or 32 v 32 or whatever - the more the merrier, end of story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got a free Alpha key for TROVE earlier and I've spent a lot more time playing it than it probably healthy for a sunny Sunday

NO idea what I'm doing but I'm enjoying doing it ;0

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Currently playing the new Wolfenstein. Which I bought for $30 for...some reason. Or other. I dont know why. And I honestly cannot recommend it. Not because its bad per se; its not. Its just...not good, either?

If you buy it go in knowing you are getting a bog standard corridor shooter with terrible boss fights, nonsense sequences and frequent and lengthy cut scenes. Between, you know, every chapter/section/linear story piece.

The shooting is good. Very solid. Weapons have a good feel. But even that is perfectly, utterly generic. Much like the rest of the game. Wolfenstein is decent - at best - at what it does. Unfortunately, what it does is all the same things the genre's been doing for ten or more years. Not the least bit of effort was expended to try and make this anything more than another faceless, soulless, corridor shooter in a sea of the same things.

Honestly, Rage was a far better game than this. At least it gave you hints of a larger world, and some cool toys to mess about with other than just guns. Wolfenstein is honestly a step backward from that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I'm not arguing that (I can't, rather, since I haven't played it) but it seemed like Titanfall hadn't even been out a few hours before half the internet was proclaiming "See, I told you such a small number of players would be like the most boring thing ever". Nothing to do with design or map size or gameplay mechanics or anything else - not beyond the most basic understanding of those things, at least. There's a significant demographic among gamers (or a very vocal minority, if nothing else) who just think more people running around going pew pew pew is automatically better. They turn up for every single shooter on consoles - platform exclusive or cross - proclaiming "Oh, of course the PC could do ten times that". They don't care whether there's any reason for having 16 v 16 or 32 v 32 or whatever - the more the merrier, end of story.
    While it is a bit of a knee jerk reaction, Titanfall isn't the best argument. The maps themselves are decent sized and there are lots of AI running around that could easily be players. As it stands, they are basically the mooks in a MOBA: They exist to be shot at to let you level up/decrease the cooldown time on your mech. It is a very interesting idea, but it isn't "normal"... even though it is made by the devs who largely defined "normal" as of the past decade.

So if you are approaching it from the perspective of a traditional FPS player, you just have a smaller player count and a bunch of enemies who just exist to waste your time and "get in the way" during "real fights". Once you factor in the Titans you probably don't want THAT many more players, but most maps seem like they could easily support one or two more per side.

So yeah, there is nothing wrong with designing around a specific number of players (either way), but Titanfall is that weird beast where it feels like the devs weren't sure what they wanted to do and may not have hit that sweet spot. And considering it was a launch title for a console with (arguably) weaker specs, the devs may have wanted a few more players too.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Dynasty Warriors 8. I admit, this series is my guilty pleasure. I just love the completely over the top ludicrous action this provides. Although personally, I lean more towards the Warriors Orochi Series, because they can go even more crazy without having to stick to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms Backdrop. The port is a bit rubbish though, both in terms of language port from japan to rest of the world and from consoles to PC.

So the first port, the one across borders saw them removing several lines of speech from the game. For example each map screen is usually narrated in the japanese version. The english version gets... nothing but a subtitle. The general quality of the english voice acting is legendarily bad and has led to Cao Cao turning into Cow Cow in previous versions. This is better now but it's still bar any emotion. So first order of the day, grab the inofficial language pack and slot the japanese voice overs back in. Much, much better and the subtitles stay english too. Perfect.

The next issue is with the port, because you see, they've ported the PS3 Version instead of the PS4 Version so a lot of graphical improvements made for the current "next gen" aren't included. It's not that it is unplayable or anything but it looks noticeably jarring when played in standard monitor resolution. There's some extreme aliasing going on and shadows look hideous, because they're so damn low res. So I tried GeDoSaTo and Sweet FX on it and that seems to do the trick (edit: Although Downsampling refuses to work, the other options do work). It's not beautiful but the game wasn't ever about being beautiful. Unless you count nonstop involuntary innuendo and slaughtering at least a thousand people per mission as beautiful.
    Last edited by theForged; 20-07-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    So the first port, the one across borders saw them removing several lines of speech from [Dynasty Warriors 8]. For example each map screen is usually narrated in the japanese version. The english version gets... nothing but a subtitle. The general quality of the english voice acting is legendarily bad and has led to Cao Cao turning into Cow Cow in previous versions. This is better now but it's still bar any emotion. So first order of the day, grab the inofficial language pack and slot the japanese voice overs back in. Much, much better and the subtitles stay english too. Perfect.
    what is this I don't even

That just feels... very wrong. :( Yes, I know, opinions and all, but jeez. I admit I've had any number of dumb internet arguments about how obviously glorious Nipponese is always better than filthy gaijin-speak (hopefully that comes across the way I meant it to?), but seriously, even as a committed Asiaphile (who's actually read ROTK, at that) part of the appeal of those particular games for me has always been Cow Cow and gormless, ridiculous camp and all the rest of it. I dunno. Perhaps it would grow on me? Still, though, my first thought is it'd be like putting a fandub of skilled Shakespearean actors over Commando or Predator.

I gave in to temptation and bought Shovel Knight even though I told myself I had to finish my thesis before buying any more games. I'm halfway through now and it's very enjoyable. This is probably the first game that I bought because it became irresistible by video reviews and let's plays. And it's basically as good as everyone says it is, but not better.

Splinter Chaos Theory was for 2 vs 2, Conviction was 1 vs 1 in face off (the only non-coop mode). It never felt too empty.