Page 1134 of 1179 FirstFirst ... 134634103410841124113211331134113511361144 ... LastLast
Results 22,661 to 22,680 of 23572
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought too, but I basically steamrolled the rest of the game. I should probably have run some extra dungeons for more xp and gear, but I was getting a bit tired of the game, so I just wanted to finish it. If I'm ever going to play a diablolike again, it'll probably be Torchlight II anyway :)
    Wait, you didn't bump up the difficulty level before starting? The default is regarded by most as way too easy, but the game in no way suggests that it is the case; it isn't challenging in any way so steamrolling is probably the experience you would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Awkward control system (what is it with tablet ports that use double-click when single-click would have worked better?)
    Uhm? IIRC double click is for fast movement, you should be using a single click most of the time unless you're going from point A to point B. In that regard it's pretty much PnC standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maknol View Post
    Also, I'd avoid the 8.1 update like the plague... but YMMV.)
    Why would you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    So I finally tried Dust: An Elysian Tail, thinking "Ah, come on, stop bitching, the art can't really be that bad; lots of internet people seem to like it".
    It's clear you're feeling so strongly about the game, and I remember your posting extensively about it before, so much I thought you had played it already. The whole furry thing is something I refuse to approach, even assuming it is there IMO it's one of those artist VS art thing, in other words I'd rather just play the game and decide whether I like it or not, while knowing the bare minimum about Mr. Dodrill or anything else.

In the replies you have received I honestly couldn't see any knee-jerk reaction, more like perplexity. Comments to the effect of 'horrid proportions' might make sense to you, but I'm sure you can see how most people wouldn't find statements like those to be anywhere close to truth. Even more understandable criticisms will still sound ingenerous or even nitpicking in the light of Dust being basically the product of one man's work over many years.

In other words, while you're putting thought and an analytical eye into your commentary, at the same time yours is sounding like the knee-jerk reaction. This is all of course not meant to say you should play the game, or even like it. Quite the opposite really.
    Last edited by alms; 23-07-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Why would you say that?
    I've had several friends reporting random problems after updating. From general graphics card driver crashes to games not booting up, and also the odd program here and there that simply does not work in 8.1 (like Trillian).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Counterpoint here. My Win8.1 install has had no problems, but all the benefits of improvements (including the improved UI).

Oh, and I'm playing Dawngate and FFXIV at the moment.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

again, more houts on Mount&Blade: Warband. I was gitting pissed off at Khergits raiding my fiefs so, I went ahead and raided a town out of sheer spite. My army won single-handedly surprisingly enough and we had to hold off from Khergit and Rhodok war parties before we totally secured the town for glorious Sarranid Sultanate... until he decided to confer to a lazy-ass lord who can't even win fights, let alone pick one. So what if I do have a few looted fiefs under my control? I actually deserve this one but NOPE. TOO MANI FIFEZ, YOU SUCK.

FUCK YOU, SULTAN. So, i rebelled and now Halmar is now under my control and Veluca, after that and a few other successful sieges on castles surrounding them. seems the Khergits and Vaegirs want my head too. this is gun b gud
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Warband is magnificent.
    I'd love a multiplayer M&B game (no combat multiplayer, campaign multiplayer)

Uhm? IIRC double click is for fast movement, you should be using a single click most of the time unless you're going from point A to point B. In that regard it's pretty much PnC standard.
    Single clicking didn't do anything. Holding down the left button makes the character follow the cursor, but that felt even worse than double-clicking.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Gawsheck, Assassins Creed 4 has bottled the charm of Ezio and distilled it into something with more bite, it's got beautiful environments, daft but funny enough characters and I'm only half an hour in.

It's showed me how dull Conner who I keep forgetting about is.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 23-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    So I'm getting to the point where racing games are dangerously close from turning from an "interest" into a hobby. Oh my. I've been playing Assetto Corsa, and Race 07, and Game Stock Car Extreme, and Grid: Autosport, and F1 2013, and RaceRoom Racing Experience, and I'm seriously considering adding good old GTR2 into the mix. And buying rFactor 2. I think I need help. Oh, and I also play Euro Truck Sim 2 to relax after the racing sessions.

The weird thing is that I'm not a particularly fast racer, I have little patience to fiddle with setups, etc. But they're just so much fun. And probably a sign of an incoming gaming midlife crisis I've been thinking about a lot.

The only non-racing game I've been playing lately is Endless Space. I play one turn, work on a few paragraphs of my actual work, play another turn, etc. Lovely game, ES.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Single clicking didn't do anything. Holding down the left button makes the character follow the cursor, but that felt even worse than double-clicking.
    That would make sense, given that the game came out on iOS first. Unfortunately it's one of those functional ports that don't do much to improve the cross platform experience - maybe you would enjoy it more on a tablet?
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

That would make sense, given that the game came out on iOS first. Unfortunately it's one of those functional ports that don't do much to improve the cross platform experience
    It's puzzling when they have to add mouse support anyway. There was another port I tried recently which also did the double-click thing for movement. Doesn't make a lot of sense to make the most used action that way.

- maybe you would enjoy it more on a tablet?
    yeah, I was thinking that it might be worth a try if it's on Android.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Last Remnant which is fun in a jrpg sort of way. Lots of areas to explore. I like parts of the battle system, working with three teams is kinda fun and does add a slightly better angle. AI is not so great though, and the game is not always clear about systems. Unrest I backed it on kickstarter and so far I'm fairly impressed with the narrative, which follows several people through mob violence in a fiction version of India. The game is buggy as hell right now. Random closings, problems with my screens native resolution, etc. That said, the story is grabbing me, even though I can tell I've made less than optimal choices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Counterpoint here. My Win8.1 install has had no problems, but all the benefits of improvements (including the improved UI).

Oh, and I'm playing Dawngate and FFXIV at the moment.
    Windows 8.1 fixed my incompatibility issues with Sonar X2 and Windows 8. Not everyone had them, but it was common enough to be upsetting there wasn't a patch. 8.1 fixed my issues, though, so I guess Cakewalk got away with it this time. *shakes fist*

If possible, backup everything first (as you should before every major update, really), make sure you have what you need to reinstall (install disk, partition, windows backup disks(grrrr ... whatever happened to a good ol' install disk? oh, right, those cost $20-30 now >.<)).

One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of weirdness post-update can come from weirdness pre-update. If you're really worried, temporarily remove programs that already run poorly or crash periodically or what-have-you, do disk scans, clean the registry, and then follow good update procedure (backup, etc).
    Last edited by gwathdring; 24-07-2014 at 03:59 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Wait, you didn't bump up the difficulty level before starting? The default is regarded by most as way too easy, but the game in no way suggests that it is the case; it isn't challenging in any way so steamrolling is probably the experience you would get.
    I can't remember doing that, but I had been playing Torchlight 1 on and off for about a year, so I don't know really.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Network Hub
    After Endless Space and Warlock (the first) became solved problems due to AI diplomatic stupidity, I tried my hand at TW:Shogun 2 again. With a nicer computer, it is a far less painful game, but huge problems remain. The gigantic difference between auto-resolution and manual fights turns that into a strategic choice-- c'mon CA, we've got drop in players, so I know we're always online, couldn't you just track some stats to get reasonable auto-resolution numbers here?

And then, everybody wants to have a war with you, all of the time, which I think makes for some poor pacing. There's no tension, just irritation.

But then I started laughing when I realized that I was exploiting diplomatic AI again by selling military access. Oh well, guess there really is no such thing as decent diplomatic AI.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Last Remnant which is fun in a jrpg sort of way. Lots of areas to explore. I like parts of the battle system, working with three teams is kinda fun and does add a slightly better angle. AI is not so great though, and the game is not always clear about systems.
    Last Remnant being so popular around here is really baffling to me. I absolutely love JRPGs, my favorite genre no matter how many people aim their tactical S.P.I.T.E. missiles at it. But Last Remnant is the one JRPG that made me want to side with the JRPG hate brigade. Semi-Randomized Combatmenu, exponential level scaling of enemies that punished you if you did side-quests, an all too familiar storyline, one of the least consequential plot twists in gaming history (I get ressource recycling but that's gotta take the cake). And many other things.
    Not trying to talk you out of your fun, if you enjoy the game then... you enjoy the game. More power to you. But I've rarely felt more robbed of the $7.50 I once paid for it, which is ridiculous given the amount of work that went into that game and the amount of money spent. But I was just that fed up with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not going to argue with your complaints, because they're all true (although level scaling is within a range so you eventually do outlevel bosses, and combat gets far more interesting with higher experience as you get psionics / offensive items / a greater range of characters).It's because the only JRPGs PC players normally get are illegal ass roms. Remember Suikoden, Disgaea, or Persona? I don't, because I never got to play them. The last Final Fantasy we got was an MMO, and before that a remake of a decades old game. My wii has had far more interesting and diverse Japanese games than my PC, and I grew up playing JRPG roms.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    The SP mode in BF4 really doesn't know what it wants. I know complaining about modern shooters is old hat, and I don't really have a problem with linear shooters as a concept, but it isn't satisfied with being a linear shooter. The maps are dotted with various collectibles, in theory promoting exploration and taking your time, but if you stray the least bit off the beaten path, you'll encounter invisible walls and strange not-quite-fully-modelled areas that are obviously designed to be glanced at from afar, rather than investigated in detail. But that's exactly what you have to do to find the collectibles! And some are hidden away in quite ludicrous locations too. One amazing one in the first level requires a very specific little jump. If you miss - and you will, because of obnoxious level geometry - you fall down a hole and trigger the next checkpoint. Have fun playing the whole level again!

Idiots.

Realms of Ancient War is not as awful as the metacritic score might lead you into thinking, but... well... where do I start? I only played an hour and couldn't believe my eyes when the realization hit me: there's no way to save your progress inside a level - you either finish it or have to restart from scratch next time. But! your inventory and character stats are retained - so maybe there is after all some semblance of a logical reason buried somewhere - I didn't stay long enough to figure it out though.

Also, in what looked like a game with decent spelling and writing, someone had the brilliant idea to replace the unfashionable "OK / Apply" button with one called "Validate".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    One amazing one in the first level requires a very specific little jump. If you miss - and you will, because of obnoxious level geometry - you fall down a hole and trigger the next checkpoint. Have fun playing the whole level again!

Idiots.
    Sounds like the BF3 single player was so bad they literally couldn't pay anyone enough money to playtest BF4 SP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh God I just discovered I can play Asphalt 8: Airborne on my PC (as a Windows 8 app; Gameloft are one of the few publishers releasing across all three mobile OSs). Third time through the content (the opening chapters, at least) and I still love it. Screw your realistic handling models, this is practically on rails in places (the slower car classes, anyway) and I still love, love, love it. Beautiful course design with a nice balance between real and ridiculous, shiny cars, press-button-to-go-very-very-fast, smash your opponents out of the way - this is what an arcade racer ought to be, god damn it, and I don't care if the multiplayer's pay-to-win and the higher tiers of car are essentially unreachable without paying real money - I found the first couple of S class cars borderline unplayable anyway, so I'm not bothered in the slightest that I'll never acquire most of them. Who'd want to? And I can still earn a fair amount of credits from the multiplayer without winning everything (I'm not bothered by grinding, either, if I enjoy the grind).

Windows 8 may have its drawbacks, but this ain't one of them. There, that's a reason (if a strange, and rather superfluous reason) for the Start screen to exist.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 25-07-2014 at 02:16 AM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.