Page 114 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 14641041121131141151161241642146141114 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 22758
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I'm almost impressed with Arkham City's outright refusal to let the player make Batman look bad. I tried striking him in the face with his own batarang, but he cooly snatched it out of the air and delivered what may have been a self-imagined taunting smile as if to say "bugger you, Drake."

Well bugger you too, Batman. You smug git.

Cave Story+: Was anticipating this a lot, then my 360 pad did not work... and the scrolling was jerky as nothing else. Seems really charming bar the technicalities.
    Orcs must die: This is a lot more fun then I anticipated.
    Minecraft: Finishing an old map, patching up a castle I started long ago. Connect it to my main underground town via rail road, complete with underground forest and... what am I doing with my life?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I'm almost impressed with Arkham City's outright refusal to let the player make Batman look bad. I tried striking him in the face with his own batarang, but he cooly snatched it out of the air and delivered what may have been a self-imagined taunting smile as if to say "bugger you, Drake."

Well bugger you too, Batman. You smug git.
    I bet getting a Riddler Challenge ticked off for doing so was just rubbing it in for you!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm at the second-to-last boss in God of War.... I'm not sure why, but every game kind of turns into an endurance test near the end for me, and it becomes more a matter of will and determination to beat them than it is actual fun. God of War takes this feeling to an extreme. There's 5-10 (kind of hard to keep track) big fights in a row right, gauntlet-style, right before this boss. No checkpoints in between, and that wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't throw in an enemy who can literally one hit kill you (fucking gorgons) halfway through. One slip up and bam, right back to the start.

I finally figured out why this game is so much less enjoyable than the first: it's the camera. Look, I don't have a problem with fixed cameras, but they have to be done perfectly. I think that the original God of War is a great example of this! I was never frustrated with the camera at all. But for whatever reason, the developers decided that throwing Kratos at some screen-filling enemies in a tiny-ass room was a good idea. It's annoying as hell to be constantly trying to figure out where I am, dodge/parry moves and counter accordingly when I can't see a fucking thing. There were a couple parts where I couldn't help but think "Did they even playtest this? How did this slip through?" because I just kept dying to the camera.

Speaking of parrying, though, the golden fleece is a great mechanic. I love parrying in this game, it just feels great each and every time I do it. It's funny comparing my first playthrough on release to now; I used to really suck at the parry system in both of these games but hours of training in Bayonetta has made it almost unconscious for me. Parrying a gorgon's stare and petrifying every enemy around you just never gets old.

Can't wait to be done with it, though. I gotta stop playing these games on Hard mode :/

Network Hub
    Not sure if you knew this Sabrage, but the director changed from God of War 1 to 2 as well, which could be another reason you're enjoying it less; it seems like you don't like some of the things that changed in the game which could be the result of someone else helming the ship.

The director changes again in God of War 3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Not sure if you knew this Sabrage, but the director changed from God of War 1 to 2 as well, which could be another reason you're enjoying it less; it seems like you don't like some of the things that changed in the game which could be the result of someone else helming the ship.

The director changes again in God of War 3 as well.
    Yeah, the game definitely suffers from Jaffe's decreased role, though I never actually looked up the director of GOW2 before. Why the hell did they put this clown at the helm? "He previously worked on Backyard Wrestling: Don't Try This at Home and X-Men: Next Dimension." What the fuck? There was one boss today that really pissed me off; he climbs on screen and there's a good 5 second pan to the obvious weak spot on his head. Fight him a bit, disable him and it highlights the next weak spot I'm supposed to target. It pauses the fight for a 10 second cutscene, just to show me what I should obviously be doing next. I hate it when games hold my hand like this, especially there are other parts in the game where what I'm supposed to do next isn't clearly highlighted and it should be. "Oh we'll make every breakable object in the game glimmer so the plebians don't miss it, but we won't show you what that crank you're pulling does." *sigh* I'm glad the game has so much commentary and behind-the-scenes in its extras, though I can't say I can be arsed to watch it all right now. I do intend to eventually though. What God of War does best is visceral, back-and-forth combat, and I have a feeling that GOW3 is going to shift even further from that so I'm gonna hold off on playing it for a while.

Wishlist for the inevitable God of War 4:
    -Balance everything so it can keep up with the Blades of Chaos/Athena and *insert current overpowered AOE spell here*
    -Get rid of the fucking quick-time events. That shit where you have to spin the analog sticks? Truly awful.
    -Full camera control? I kind of don't see this one happening.

I just found out the other day that Ninja Gaiden 3 is adding quick-time events to the series. They break the flow of combat, they're unintuitive and ugly (PRESS B TO ARRGGGHHH) and they could easily be replaced by more and better combat options. I do have to say that if anyone can get QTEs right, it's Platinum, but I'd rather just not have them at all. You know what games QTEs work great in? Turn-based RPGs. I'm thinking specifically of the Mario RPGs and two old PS1 games, Legend of Legaia and Legend of Dragoon (not related.) If you've played the Mario games you know exactly what I mean, but I think Legend of Legaia still has my favorite combat system of all time. Before attacking, you could input a series of buttons and your character would perform a combo based on what you pressed. Fucking brilliant, I'm getting all nostalgic thinking about it.

Oh, one last thing, this is a game that many outlets rated higher than its predecessor for either copying or breaking the original's formula. Both Gamespot and IGN regard it as the swan song of the PS2. It holds one of the highest metacritic ratings on the system, and is generally fondly remember. I mean, it's ok enough and it certainly has its moments, but the amount of praise heaped on the game just makes me feel like it's an overrated piece of shit.
    Last edited by sabrage; 15-12-2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: more ranting

Network Hub
    If you want visceral combat, God of War 3 is actually the best in the series imo. That game pulls no punches and the boss fights are pretty damn awesome. If I remember correctly, they cut the number of puzzles down as well and focused largely on Kratos just kicking ass. I definitely enjoyed 3 more than 2.

And you want to talk about bad decisions in the God of War games, one of the PSP games has an unskippable cutscene you have to watch every single time you fight the boss. Rather than fix this in the PS3 compilation (how hard can it be to change the damn checkpoint), they added a trophy to make fun of the fact you have to sit there every time. Its still worth getting that series -- PSP or no the games themselves are really fun but extremely short at like 5 hours per game.

Without Itagaki, Ninja Gaiden is worthless to me -- the Sigma games, imo, were never as good as the real ones Itagaki helmed and I think 3 will be a disaster.

And yea, I was a fan of both Legaia and Super Mario RPG. Its a shame that for every JRPG that does something different, the next five do things exactly the same.

And cmon, you expect any mainstream review outlet to shit on any big name game at release? The MO is now rate it highly, then wait two weeks and write an "editorial" about how crappy it is. IGN rated Modern Warfare 3 highly, then penned a few articles talking about how stale it was and how it needs to change a few weeks later. A lot of modern journalists are cowards (and a lot of major publishers are bullies behind the scenes I bet -- "oh, you rated MW 3 low? No Diablo 3 or SC 2 review copies for you") and while I agree with some things RPS says, at least I know I'm getting 100% honesty from them when they talk about what they enjoy and don't enjoy.

Too lazy to quote so this'll be a little scattered... I definitely don't take big review outlets seriously (I can tell by now whether a game interests me or not, and a hot-water test of consumer feedback is enough to tell if it's good or not) but when IGN lists it as the #2 PS2 game of all time I have to raise an eyebrow. I do wish that there was a more balanced reviewer RPS-style for consoles, but Eurogamer and Joystiq are probably the closest we'll ever get. (and the latter's only saving grace is "Well, it's better than Kotaku!") I'll try the Origins collection if it ever hits the $10 or less mark, or possibly if I get a Vita in the future, but right now that's not really an avenue I want to go down because I'm kind of burnt out on the series. I almost bought it when I first got my PS3 (it was half off for Black Friday) but I'm glad I didn't in hindsight. I have enough games that I can put it aside for a while and play something else until I'm in the mood for it; I do have 3 sitting on my desk in front of me right now so I'll get to it eventually.

Never saw the appeal in either Sigma... Black is the definitive edition of the original and 2 wasn't a good enough game to warrant a remake/port anyways.

I skipped out on most of the best PS2 JRPGs, so I've got a huge library of games to choose from if I ever have a hankering for the genre (which is rare.) I don't think it's a coincidence that those ones I listed with an active combat system are my favorites, though. I'm actually really excited about Final Fantasy XIII-2; I'm sure the plot will be nonsense but the battle system looks excellent. I hear that was the best part of XIII, so I'll probably pick that up if I see a good sale.

Aaand just beat God of War 2. The game won back some of my good will by having one of the best final bosses of all time. Shame I can't say the same about the ending, but I am a bit more predisposed to playing 3 now. What's odd is that the bosses up to this point seemed to be in backwards order - that is, I had the most trouble with the early bosses and they got easier as it went on. The last one broke this order though, and where the earlier bosses were hard because of cheap unblockable moves Zeus was on par with the best Ninja Gaiden bosses in that, given baseline precision and familiarity with the game, any damage and deaths are entirely a result of your own bad play.
    Last edited by sabrage; 15-12-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Jumped into Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery in some regions) while I wait for Anno 2070, and the "city" building bug has bit me bad. I don't think I've been this addicted to perfecting building layouts and supply chains since I lost years of my life to the old Impressions City Building games. I really love the Occident/Orient dynamics at work in the game play, and the RTS parts don't actually suck this time around.

Hopefully Anno 2070 is this good, and turns out to be a continuation of the Total Recall 2070 storyline.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I got another achievement in Sonic Generations today; simple, to complete a time in every level for the leaderboards. Of course, it's never that simple, because one mistake and boom, pause, restart. Instant restart, however, makes the game support my perfectionist tendencies. I'll also accept that whilst I screwed up but couldn't be bothered to continue for perfection on some levels, I'm 44th (if not higher considering some people are clearly using glitches or something to scrape minutes off) on the leaderboards for the very last level, which for me is a win.

Such a bloody good game, very under-rated. I imagine it won't have done as well as it deserves as a quality product due to the name. In some respects, 'Sonic' tarnishes whatever it's attached to, even if that quality wise is turning around. If you like platforming games or old school Sonic, I really encourage you to get it when it inevitably goes on sale during the Steam Winter legitimised-money-stealing event.