Page 1142 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 1426421042109211321140114111421143114411521192 ... LastLast
Results 22,821 to 22,840 of 24778
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, I've seen people do that. It looks effective, but I'm not sure I have the reflexes for it.

I saw your name in a SideStrafe video, btw. You two were in the same lance in one game.
    Oh, seriously? Can you provide a link? Internet fame go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Oh, seriously? Can you provide a link? Internet fame go!
    http://youtu.be/cGeHE7dBTs0 From 7:07

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Woah thanks! How the hell do you remember?? That was from times I used medium mechs and was terrible, I did nothing at all in that match. I am ashamed. I have to go kill some noobs in DayZ now to boost my ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm nearing the end of my love affair with Dynasty Warriors 8. Keeping LuBu's DLC campaign for last was the right idea. I absolutely loved it. In every other campaign he's this feral beast of a Barbarian, an unbeatable monster running amok. Not in his campaign. Suddenly, he's this wise but old fashioned warrior, loving father, someone that just lives in the wrong times and is too proud to adapt.

Only it doesn't add up, it's hilarious how the narration tries to balance this self centered view of a character idolizing himself to the extreme, with how the story actually goes from how just about everyone else's point of view. And it's actually surprisingly well done given the game this is in. An actual instance of an unreliable Narrator in a mindless over the top action game. That was unexpected. Yes it's even more over the top than all the other campaigns and at some point I think you smash just about everyone the era has to offer into the ground but it fits well with the massive ego of the infamous LuBu.

Either way, that marks me finishing all of the campaigns. I've now got the alternate paths left and the ambition mode. I always bounce of the Ambition mode (some sort of free play build up your own army thing), because I just can't settle on my main officer. I'm gonna play as Cao Cao, it's called Ambition Mode after all... well no, actually let's not. Zhou Yun? But his EX attack is a bit dull. Let's play as Xingcai... but I really don't want to watch her buttcheeks all day. Maybe Lubu? But his helmet is silly and he's overpowered... and so it goes on and on until I give up.

I've also been playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Hmmm, delicious. You know how there are always some people telling you that you just need to play a JRPG for a few dozen hours before it takes off and becomes really great? People told me, when I was bored out of my mind with Final Fantasy 13, to persist a few hours, the game would open up later. 20 hours later, I still haven't reached the fun part but I sure did want to punch Hope. And certain friends with "gotta keep playing" recommendations.

I digress. Trails in the Sky is the perfect example that the slow burner thing people cite for JRPG is just codespeak for "it's a shitty game and you'll only complete it because of hours you wasted on it already". Within 5 minutes I was enjoying myself. I liked playing this, even though it was a superficial dinner scene, drenched in outdated japanese rolemodels. But everything from actually likeable characters (subjective of course) to good music drew me into the game and a short intro cutscene flashing several characters, places and scenes before me, kept me going. It may fall over later in the game, I don't know but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.
    Last edited by theForged; 05-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Trails in the Sky is the perfect example that the slow burner thing people cite for JRPG is just codespeak for "it's a shitty game and you'll only complete it because of hours you wasted on it already". Within 5 minutes I was enjoying myself. I liked playing this, even though it was a superficial dinner scene, drenched in outdated japanese rolemodels. But everything from actually likeable characters (subjective of course) to good music drew me into the game and a short intro cutscene flashing several characters, places and scenes before me, kept me going. It may fall over later in the game, I don't know but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.
    Falcom are gods. Quietly forging ahead along their own little secluded path, and blowing away a hundred other dumb niche Japanese developers obsessed with T&A in the process. Not played TitS (tee hee) in English, though I did, uh, acquire it on PC in Japanese, years and years ago (long since got rid of all that stuff). Lovely game, even when I didn't understand most of the story. Almost anything they've ever done is gold - I would love, love, love to see Zwei!! or its sequel localised on Steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Would you recommend that game for someone whose only experience with jRPGs was Phantasy Star on the Master System far too many years ago? I do like story-driven games (Planescape is my favorite game ever), I like turn-based combat, but I don't like very difficult RPGs, though (especially when it keeps me from progressing in the story).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Would you recommend that game for someone whose only experience with jRPGs was Phantasy Star on the Master System far too many years ago? I do like story-driven games (Planescape is my favorite game ever), I like turn-based combat, but I don't like very difficult RPGs, though (especially when it keeps me from progressing in the story).
    Dunno which poster you meant, but I'm not sure I could give that specific a recommendation, given how long it's been since I played it (and that it was in a language I don't understand!). I don't remember Trails as being that tough, but it wasn't a walk in the park either. It's certainly not the most hardcore of JRPGs, but I don't know that I'd recommend it as a gateway drug. I'm sure theForged can give you a better impression though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    You can separate your characters before hiring and send one outside and they can't bitch about it.
    Huh ... so you just show up with a hanger on and as long as you didn't make the deal in front of them they just ... don't notice? :P

Works for me, I guess.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A friend was grumbling - he'd pre-ordered Sacred 3 on account of how he loved the first 2 so I said "how bad can it really be?" and he gave me access to his Steam account and...

It's not hard to see why most folks don't like it - you probably didn't even need to play it to realise most of these things tho?

1 - it's not an ARPG - it's a stage-based brawler
    2 - it plays much better with a pad
    3 - the menu/UI only really makes sense/works with a pad
    4 - the stages are lengthy and whilst they checkpoint if you die, I don't think you can save and continue later?
    5 - the dialog varies from witty/surreal/self-deprecating to "sassy teenager" to "MASSIVELY crass" - it's like watching Red Dwarf, Charmed and a Blaxsplotation Film all at the same time and it's RELENTLESS

Added to that lot, £39.99 is a LOT of money for any game and a HUGE amount when the game is really trading on a series it isn't part of?? Deep Silver have been cheeky with it for sure - but they have history so again - no surprises really??

Ignore what you THOUGHT it would be and S3 isn't entirely without merit tho - it's an OK-looking, OK-to-play stage-brawler which looks fine and runs OK (2 things Sacred 2 could NEVER claim! :) ) and has made me laugh about as much as it's made me cringe...

If it was $10 I'd have it - and one day it will be ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    If it was $10 I'd have it - and one day it will be ;0
    I'm betting you won't even have to wait long.

Working hard to reach a diplomatic victory as Arabia in Civilization V. I'm playing on a tiny map with three other civs, one of which is Djengis Khan. What an agressive fellow. He keeps declaring war on city-states that I need for their delegates, so I have to keep paying him off or fighting him back myself. Khan invaded me once, but he soon regretted that. Luckily his war with Siam keeps him busy most of the time, they must've been fighting for over 50 turns now.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Has anyone played Crawl? How is it?
    post in progress

In preparation for Wasteland 2 I decided to replay the first Fallout, having played the original Wasteland a few months back. I joked about being lucky to beat it before Wasteland 2 comes out but now I breezed through it in a couple of days. The original Fallout is actually a fairly short game even if you solve all the quests it has to offer. The thing is, it feels big. Part of it is because the settlements are far apart from each other and it gives the world a certain scale. Doing the long trip from the Hub to the Glow is a bit like going into Mordor. Unlike Wasteland and Fallout 2 which revel in their dark humour, Fallout is a very somber game. I don't know if that makes it better or worse but it's a noteworthy difference.
    Interestingly, having played Wasteland and having heard the line that Fallout is a spiritual successor to it, I can say that's not entirely true. It really is a remake. Just about every plot point and location of Wasteland is reiterated. Plenty of characters too.
    Gameplay-wise I don't think there's much to say about Fallout that hasn't been said before. Even with the FIXT fan patch it's still kind of glitchy. Melee combat is terrible and the awful AI made me actually yell at the screen a couple of times. No Ian, a knife is not an adequate weapon to fight a Deathclaw.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, also,

IYou know how there are always some people telling you that you just need to play a JRPG for a few dozen hours before it takes off and becomes really great? People told me, when I was bored out of my mind with Final Fantasy 13, to persist a few hours, the game would open up later. 20 hours later, I still haven't reached the fun part but I sure did want to punch Hope. And certain friends with "gotta keep playing" recommendations.
    It really does open up, to be fair to it. The open world part (well, sort of open) is pretty good. But it's more like thirty hours in than twenty, and it's just not good enough to make up for the slog it takes to get there. The abuse FFXIII got is... a little out of proportion to what it does wrong, but it's certainly not unwarranted.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I don't really think it's out of proportion. It is one flipping loooong corridor with boring after boring battle. After 10 hours I gave up on it. Way too tedious to even call it a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Getting towards the end of STALKER SoC, I'm at the point where I'm being told to head to Pripyat and the final stretch of the game. I'm not gonna though, spending some more time just wandering the Zone hunting for artifacts and exploring every nook and cranny sounds like much more fun than shooting a bajillion Monolith in the head.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Dunno which poster you meant, but I'm not sure I could give that specific a recommendation, given how long it's been since I played it (and that it was in a language I don't understand!). I don't remember Trails as being that tough, but it wasn't a walk in the park either. It's certainly not the most hardcore of JRPGs, but I don't know that I'd recommend it as a gateway drug. I'm sure theForged can give you a better impression though.
    And I'm not really far into the game yet. Maybe 3 or 4 hours into Trails in the Sky? So far I don't think it's incredibly tough and Trails does a few things different from your usual JRPGs that might make it easier for people new to genre. Like being able to save everywhere at any time. Or being able to dodge most enemies on the map so you can gauge just how many encounters you're willing to fight. I also like that the experience falls off at one point, so you definitely know when you start to outlevel the area you're in. On the flipside, I never had to grind either, just playing normally made me reach that point.

So from a mechanical point of view, it's probably a good JRPG to get into. It has got some technical flaws like videos being messed up in fullscreen mode for some people (windowed fixed it for me). Perhaps the biggest detractor is what I'd call Anime Bullshit. The occurance of certain standard Anime Tropes that are a bit difficult to look past if you're not used to either JRPG or Anime.
    Stuff like the Hot Springs episode or fathers always emberassing their daughters or the perverted old man trope or sudden bursts of so cuuuuteeeee... things like this. If you've watched a fair share of Anime you know what I'm talking about, Trails has it too and it may need some looking past these things. I'd say that's a bigger factor in whether you'll enjoy it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And I'm not really far into the game yet. Maybe 3 or 4 hours into Trails in the Sky? So far I don't think it's incredibly tough and Trails does a few things different from your usual JRPGs that might make it easier for people new to genre. Like being able to save everywhere at any time. Or being able to dodge most enemies on the map so you can gauge just how many encounters you're willing to fight. I also like that the experience falls off at one point, so you definitely know when you start to outlevel the area you're in. On the flipside, I never had to grind either, just playing normally made me reach that point.
    To be fair to JRPGs, some of them have been doing these things for ages. But yeah, Falcom games are not particularly intimidating, though they do use a fair amount of kawaiiiiiiiii uguu~face-pulling and all the rest of it (Zwei!! is lovely, but it's still pretty saccharine).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm betting you won't even have to wait long.
    RU keys for Sacred 3 are already <$20 - ROW keys are £10-off in a few places too but £39.99 will take some whittling-away and nothing will turn-around the wall of hate now, will it?

It's ironic - it they'd called it Sacred [tiny font]Citadel [big font]3[tiny font]D it would have been fine (tho not £39.99 fine perhaps) - much as "Colin McRae Remix" would have saved that game from being nerded-to-death too I imagine...

You have to wonder what went on with Sacred 3 tho - I mean it's like Marvel making a Star Wars film which is a bromance or Bollywood film - in Korean AND Esperanto...

Minecraft snapshot :)