Page 1146 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 14664610461096113611441145114611471148115611961246 ... LastLast
Results 22,901 to 22,920 of 25141
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The "Lets go home boys" effect, its a beautiful thing to pile back onto the Skyranger and chalk one up as a loss, it just feels "right". I only ever got that in the early Exalt raids if my main guys were out of action, raiding the data server and running away felt satisfyingly haphazard.
    It’s a new experience to be sure, coming to the decision (sometimes too late) to bring what few are left, home. I’m already imagining my lone survivor of a recent Outsider ambush staring into his shot glass as the faces of dead comrades seem to materialize in the whisky. There were only two of them left when I made the decision to run, but the other soldier was critically wounded on overwatch. Oh god, she was still alive when the Skyranger took off.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Problem is, if you're not succeeding regularly, you'll lose the game somewhere down the line anyway, with losses and expenses snowballing out of control. Might as well restart/save scum and save some lifetime.
    Define ‘succeeding regularly’. Yeah you’re not going to win a war by having more losses than victories, but you’re allowed to fail. Suffering a total squad wipe isn’t an end game event. If that happened in Vanilla I’d be like ‘might as well restart.’ The mod reinforces the notion that being a good commander is not just about winning fights but knowing when to retreat or not engage in the first place. I’ve been following BeagleRush’s videos and gotten quite competent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    It’s a new experience to be sure, coming to the decision (sometimes too late) to bring what few are left, home. I’m already imagining my lone survivor of a recent Outsider ambush staring into his shot glass as the faces of dead comrades seem to materialize in the whisky. There were only two of them left when I made the decision to run, but the other soldier was critically wounded on overwatch. Oh god, she was still alive when the Skyranger took off.

Define ‘succeeding regularly’. Yeah you’re not going to win a war by having more losses than victories, but you’re allowed to fail. Suffering a total squad wipe isn’t an end game event. If that happened in Vanilla I’d be like ‘might as well restart.’ The mod reinforces the notion that being a good commander is not just about winning fights but knowing when to retreat or not engage in the first place. I’ve been following BeagleRush’s videos and gotten quite competent.
    Ooooooooh. That sounds exciting. As you say, in Vanilla a mid-game squad wipe is just devastating. Which doesn't make you feel very much like the fiction of the XCOM project implies. Sure we're on the back foot with limited resources, but come on.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Did you try the shaders that were used in the video on the RPS main page too?
    No, the game runs at sub-60 fps as it is, so I didn't think I should push my luck. I did try installing shader mods on my old desktop (I have a higher-end laptop now) and it was struggling with them a fair bit. The mod's visual enhancers already make it very attractive without shaders. And it's embarassing just how much the game's look is enhanced by the addition of nicely textured blocks and items, even in the presence of the original art. The vanilla textures look like hairy, pockmarked ass so that says something.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    No, the game runs at sub-60 fps as it is, so I didn't think I should push my luck. I did try installing shader mods on my old desktop (I have a higher-end laptop now) and it was struggling with them a fair bit. The mod's visual enhancers already make it very attractive without shaders. And it's embarassing just how much the game's look is enhanced by the addition of nicely textured blocks and items, even in the presence of the original art. The vanilla textures look like hairy, pockmarked ass so that says something.
    I see. Do you have Optifine installed? If not, I'd recommend you give it a try. I get a spectacular increase in FPS when I use Optifine. In my Minecraft worlds, I always use a texture pack to improve the looks of the game too.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I see. Do you have Optifine installed? If not, I'd recommend you give it a try. I get a spectacular increase in FPS when I use Optifine. In my Minecraft worlds, I always use a texture pack to improve the looks of the game too.
    Naturally. Only recently Optifine has caused weird issues with world chunks not loading until I walk into them. Yesterday I crashed my boat right into a mountain that was invisible seconds before because of this. That usually only happens when traveling long distances quickly though. I gain about 20 fps from it but my main reason for using it were the additional graphics options like AA and AF and those that allowed more chunk updates per frame (and gloriously long render distances that make my RAM cry) but 1.6.4 doesn't have those features yet. But it also doesn't have the weird flickering issues that I get in the latest release, so, you win some, you lose some.

As for texture packs, Life in the Woods doensn't tell you which texture packs are compatible with all of it, but I think I could find one if I made an effort of looking. But the mods' art is predominantly of high quality with some exceptions (Oceancraft) so I don't mind leaving it as it is.

...Huh. That's strange. I forced AA for javaw.exe in the Nvidia control panel. It didn't work, distant textures are still noisy and grainy. But my fps jumped from 45 to 100. How....?
    Last edited by LTK; 11-08-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not sure Cook Serve Delicious has any right to be as good as it is. Serving customers before they get grumpy is a venerable formula, but I don't recall it ever giving me such a feeling of mastery as I perfectly handle a busy lunch hour during a safety inspection (and then screw up a simple salad a minute later).

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I'm not sure Cook Serve Delicious has any right to be as good as it is. Serving customers before they get grumpy is a venerable formula, but I don't recall it ever giving me such a feeling of mastery as I perfectly handle a busy lunch hour during a safety inspection (and then screw up a simple salad a minute later).
    It really doesn't but it so is.

Network Hub
    I just finished Half-Life 2: Episode 2, which I suppose I'd rank above the first Episode, but below the two main games of the series. Overall, I had a good time with it, though I wasn't a huge fan of the venomous antlions.

Dabbling alternately in Tales of Maj'Eyal (I switched to the ASCII tileset with background colours, as trees were annoying me by sometimes being obstacles and sometimes not; the "wandering around the overworld looking for quests" structure has me hooked at the moment, but I haven't played enough to see how much repeats from one character to the next)...

... and Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I find fun, never having touched rhythm games beyond a Guitar Hero session at a friend's house, but I'm usually too impatient for the mini-boss monsters and it can be hard to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I don't think I'll play it often enough to get good at it, but it's a nice idea and I can see how it would suit some people very well.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Oh, someone mentioned Sacrifice. I loved that game. Quite challenging too, I could never finish it.

I think it may have had a good story but I can't remember. All I remember is Tim Curry as a balloon animal and the narrator repeatedly telling me that 'All of your mana whores are dead'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Oh, there's plenty of others. A lot of them just happen to be a bit crap and there aren't quite enough Pirate games for there to be a lot of worthwhile ones.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Hmm. I had not heard of arcade racer Quantum Rush Online before it turned up on Steam, but now I am intrigued. A few quick plays later and uh, Wipeout it ain't: mediocre interface, poor localisation, some sub-par stretches of track design. But it's surprisingly entertaining for a F2P game. Some of the visuals are pretty good - I do like the seaside track, even if it does have a couple of very badly signposted turns. It doesn't have the responsiveness and fluidity of Wipeout but as knockoffs go it's not bad - a more than acceptable substitute if I can't get the real thing. And for a F2P game it seems to be concentrating more on speeding up progress than literally buying a podium finish. I tried tracks multiple times, immediately improved on all of them once I knew what I was doing, and got first place on one within half an hour's play. That's fairly encouraging, IMO.

(A special black mark all of its very own to the music, though. Some of it's not too bad, but a couple of tunes are appalling. When I managed to score that win I immediately wished I hadn't. Christ, it was almost offensively bad, and the game doesn't let you skip ahead while everyone else is finishing. Ew. Ew, ew, ew.)
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Why does Papo & Yo feel like playing Arkham City, is it the oppressive weather, the dispossessed architecture, facing off against forces which at face value are beyond your control, maybe its the charming but harrowing vistas the game constantly throws at you or the use of dream logic used to facilitate the narrative. No, its probably the limited ability to fly, that'll be it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Fucking Hybrids and their grenades, fucking laser turrets and fucking insect swarms that cause me to flee right into the path of fucking cameras. When it's not that it's fucking cybermonkeys and fucking spiders, this is some real pretty shit. Other than that I've been enjoying revisiting System Shock 2.

I just finished Fibrillation, an indie horror video game and i m about to start Globicide: Earth is Dead, also horror.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So, still playing Trails in the Sky and my initial enthusiasm has waned a bit. It still plays well and I still like the characters, combat is fine if a bit repetitive and it took me far too long to understand the Spellsystem but it's still enjoyable. But remember what I said about slow burning starts? Trails manages to grab attention from the get go but then fails to deliver on that. Or rather not in a way I had hoped it would go.
    I'm now 23 hours into the game and I'm still wondering whether it actually has a main plot because up to this point, nothing really of significance has happened. There's a bit of foreshadowing that some things might be happening in the background but bloody hell, give the mainplot some spin once in a while game. I reckon this is pretty much about the journey and not some other plot and the individual steps of the journey are all lovely and well done and character development is nice as well but occasionally I wouldn't mind a little push, some plot development. For fucks sake, I'm over 20 hours into the game and can't tell if there's going to be some big bad or not. It may well culminate into one big epic meeting of all the little side villains into some sort of crisis later on but at the moment I'm not sure I'll get there. Too much sidetracking all over the place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finally finished Divinity: Original Sin with something over 80 hours of playtime, including making cups of tea, answering the phone and playing around with alts time, and it was a delight from start to finish!

Can understand the criticisms; it ends abruptly (though not without warning or build up), lots of dialogue, some people don't get on with the combat. But I thought it was great. The world and writing was charming and intriguing throughout, the openness in terms of adventuring/multiple paths through the game as well as the combat was terrific. And the combat is a real gem, turn based and exciting and allowing for many possible solutions to the same problem. Anyway, really enjoyed the grande finale, you do become ridiculously powerful but I still found the final boss fight challenging at level 20. And I love the character development that happens.

Started a new hard mode run pretty much immediately (testament to how much I enjoyed it), with two lone wolves. Bloody hard, took me many attempts to beat the Ghoul That Guards The Lighthouse and another bunch of stunlocking skeletons. Enjoyable though.

After almost 40 hours I'm afraid I'm not going to 100% Burnout Paradise - not that I could in the first place, because the PC version was not given all of the DLC, and the rest cannot longer be purchased because it's not standard Steam DLC but EA used an in-game store instead that is now offline (those vehicles can be unlocked through memory and savefile editing, though).

There is an in-game counter that I could probably push to 100%, but... I've finished all of the races and burnout courses, I've found all of the 'collectibles', and I've won all of the Road Rules. What I'm left is: Road Rages (boring), Stunt Runs (which I totally suck at because I consistently ignored them), and Showtime events (again, boring).

I could probably put up with the less appealing activities if only the Stunt Runs weren't so hard for me. Throughout my playing, I was always kind of surprised by the amount of cleverness in the design (oh you see, they did it this way, so it could play out that and that other way down the road, and you would be able to pull it off because... oh yeah, clever, very clever!)

Since my career was races, races, and more races - and the events scale in difficulty with the number of marks you've got on your license, I've never learned how to do Stunt Runs the easy way.

It's probably a case of player's cluelessness beating the cleverness in the design (or a long-winded way to say it's basically my fault for not realizing earlier), nevetheless it's kind of disappointing.

I could still see myself going back to Paradise City just to drive around on the Carbon Hawker, but my completion rate is not going to go much past 85%.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Godus. The Mobile Version. Oh Peter. You know what they say, if you can't say a nice thing about something or someone, don't speak at all. Here are my impressions about Godus:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Alms some games are not made for mere gamers to finish absolutely. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Bullet hell shooters, Racing games, Minecraft. Some games, he'll, no game really needs 100% finished and the credits to roll to be fun.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/