Page 1160 of 1184 FirstFirst ... 160660106011101150115811591160116111621170 ... LastLast
Results 23,181 to 23,200 of 23672
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    funny thing that. I dunno if I noticed it but sometimes the spice patches just had some explosions of some sort and ended up replenishing harvested resources. I liked the harvesting system because of how simple it is and how it doubles as a scouting tool (unless you have dickish players against you who try their hardest to blow harvesters up). Plus, you don't even have to worry about scouring for new resource patches simply because the harvesters do it for you. It's just the kind of novelty with Westwood's RTS games I liked about.
    Ah, ok! That's fair. My main experience with the series was dune 2, on the mega drive of all things. Still a classic, but a first taster of how inadequate a controller was for RTS games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Technically the same could be said of the App Store, but no sane person would actually use the App Store itself to discover things - you use websites, forum threads etc. to do the legwork for you. Android doesn't have any dedicated websites as good as TouchArcade, for example, but there are options.

I'm arguing semantics to a degree, I know, but it just still... bothers me a little when people bring this argument up. I've got forty-seven games on my tablet right now and fifty-four on my iPod (and plenty more on both accounts), and I didn't spend hours scrolling through the stores and banging my head against a wall to get them. And if you're looking in the right places to find this stuff, the flood of disposable crap becomes much, much less of an issue. The things you mention are definitely problems, no argument there! But if I see someone mentioning them in a place that doesn't talk about mobile gaming much my first thought is inevitably "When you say it's a problem, how much of a problem do you actually think it is, and why?"
    I can see why it bothers you. My base assumption is that there are more good Android titles out there than I will ever have time to play, and the only issue is discovering which ones will give me the most enjoyment. But I don't really know where to look. Barring Pocket Tactics I have not been overly impressed with the critical writing I've encountered thus far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    Barring Pocket Tactics I have not been overly impressed with the critical writing I've encountered thus far.
    Oh, I hear that. Even TouchArcade, while they seem like nice enough people, are a bit too "Everything's just awesome, you guys" for my tastes a lot of the time. (Shaun Musgrave, one of the new guys on that site, is pretty good IMO but the rest of their new recruits aren't up to much.) Android gaming has no real standout writers, sadly - AndroidPolice fetishise tech and system specs far too much for my liking and don't know what they're talking about half the time when it comes to games. ($5 is expensive, IAPs are the work of the devil etc., etc.) They're technically fairly solid, though, which puts them head and shoulders above a lot of the competition, they do some good features and I find their regular app/game roundups a useful reference, even if I disagree with half of what they actually say.

EDIT: As far as fetishising tech goes, for example, I'd be hugely impressed if any Android gaming site came out and openly said "There isn't even a single Android game on the market right now which justifies the outlay required to own the latest round of hardware*". But no, it's all Nvidia will take us to the promised land!!1!1!1 and so on, over and over and over.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 25-08-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    funny thing that. I dunno if I noticed it but sometimes the spice patches just had some explosions of some sort and ended up replenishing harvested resources. I liked the harvesting system because of how simple it is and how it doubles as a scouting tool (unless you have dickish players against you who try their hardest to blow harvesters up). Plus, you don't even have to worry about scouring for new resource patches simply because the harvesters do it for you. It's just the kind of novelty with Westwood's RTS games I liked about.
    Yeah, there were pockets of spice you could shoot, or send a soldier to his death if you were so inclined, which would blow up and spread spice around. I also liked how you could build transport planes which would transport harvesters around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Yeah, there were pockets of spice you could shoot, or send a soldier to his death if you were so inclined, which would blow up and spread spice around. I also liked how you could build transport planes which would transport harvesters around.
    Carryalls were really cool. They'd even swoop in and grab damaged tanks out of the battle to go get them repaired!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Can't believe how much rebellion improved on Sniper Elite franchise :o Right now playing second mission of SE3 and its really enjoyable experience,finally.

Over the weekend I finished Sniper Elite 2 and I quite liked it except the criticisms I voiced earlier in this thread. I also finished the first Portal which was good though nowhere near as charming as the second one. Oh and the second episode of Cognition.

I rate portal above portal 2 but they are my favourites from valve nonetheless.
    Last edited by Wenz; 26-08-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    post in progress

Finished Burial at sea and I don't quite understand the reasoning behind splitting the DLC into two parts in such a way. The first chapter "novelty" is that you can now visit rapture in infinite's engine, but the problem is that there isn't much beyond that and it's has the same mediocre gameplay mechanics as infinite. It's also very short for a 15$ DLC and I can understand if people who bought it for full price were pissed off and avoided the second episode.

The second episode, however, is not superb but significantly better than the first. From a story perspective it's basically a prequel for Bioshock (the first) and I think it works well as such. It also connects the world of Rapture with Columbia.
    The mechanics are less action and more stealth with a couple of new plasmids introduced to support that and it feels a lot like Dishonored by giving you tools for lethal and non-lethal gamplay (although it has no impact on the story or the environment).

It's also twice as long than the first episode and I think that by moving the first part of the second episode to the the end of the first, they would have made a far better "teaser" than the current boring cliffhanger.

Turns out there was only one mission left to play in Fallout Tactics - and it turned out to be a massive two-parter with lots of robots. It took me like 3-4 hours to wade through that whole thing with an, at that point, nearly invincible squad. It even has the audacity to put a boss fight at the end which of course is as anti-climatic as it gets because Fallout doesn't do bosses well and he was certainly no Frank Horrigan either.
    That said, Fallout Tactics is not a very good game. Pretty much none of the gameplay elements that made the first two Fallouts (and by extension, Wasteland) great are present. Most missions are extremely linear shooting galleries. The writing is simply terrible and contains some of the worst dialogue I have ever seen in a professional video game while the combat taunts are embarrassing to read. The Fallout skill system was obviously never meant for larger parties and thus kinda falls apart and so you end up with 6 nearly identical characters. The weapon balance is catastrophic with big guns making small guns pretty much obsolete from one mission to the next and then the game does the same thing with energy weapons not much later. There's some occasional hints of brilliance like the amazing Quincy mission but most of it is simply staggeringly mediocre.

I also made plenty of screenshots so I will document some of my exploits although it's not nearly as interesting as the Fallout 2 unarmed playthrough.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I rate portal above portal 2 but they are my favourites from valve nonetheless.
    Portal 2 was better, in my opinion. The writing was just stellar.

Currently, I'm on a Guild Wars 2 binge. I've never been much of an MMO player, but I'm loving GW2.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

P2 is a lot more talky but it also has twice the features the first game has and spends a lot of the game in training.
    I mean, the whole games are training rooms but portal 2 takes longer. Portal is more direct in everything: player starts in a confined place to move freely but cannot get out, a portal creates an exit that takes player back into x confined space. Portal in a nutshell. And Cubes, Cakes...it's cooler imho.
    post in progress

Ok, beat Dead Space 3. I liked it a lot. The end boss was easy but impressive. I got killed 2-3 times in the last chapter by what seems to be a bug, it was a bit annoying to replay the part. My only problem is that the real ending is in the DLC Awakened.
    I am not gonna buy it since it reuse the same monsters and the same areas so I just watched the cutscenes on youtube.

Next game will probably Brothers (still stuff from my backlog, being broke is a kind of blessing) now that i fixed the bug with my controller.

My hard drive is making a bit of a whistling noise. I am a bit afraid that it won't survive for long. I should probably find a way to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Still playing mostly Borderlands 2 with my girl and Meltdown. BL2 is just...good fun, in co-op. And Meltdown is a great little weeknight game. Quick missions, fun if simple game play.

Also thinking I will give Abyss: Odyssey another try this week. Pretty sure they have a save and resume feature now, so you can stop when you've had enough for the night and pick up where you left off. Eager to see if that is indeed the case. Like the game itself fairly well, but loathed the lack of a save and exit feature.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Up to 111 hours of Creeper World 3 according to Steam. And I still can't get through the Farbor mission. It's rather too different from the types of missions you've played until then and I can't really see how to finish it (unlike all the other missions up until then, it's suddenly on a very strict timer).
    Of course, there are the other several hundred missions I've unlocked, but I do find that I prefer campaigns (in pretty much all games), so it'd be nice to be able to get past Farbor.

Also, this game clearly has the usual leaderboards problem; some people have impossible scores, either due to hacks or glitch exploiting, and they apparently aren't cleared from the boards. That's a bit sad, and makes one of the achievements impossible to get too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Up to 111 hours of Creeper World 3 according to Steam.
    Remember to take a fifteen minute break for every hour you play!

I ended up enjoying Luftrausers a lot more than I expected, but I don't know how much more I can play it. I don't usually like free-scrolling shmups and the original Flash game didn't hold my attention, but when I got Luftrausers set up with my Saturn controller (luckily it supports DirectInput without any trouble) the flow and sheer thrill really clicked. I've done most of the missions without really focusing on score runs, but several balance issues put me off ever attempting the latter. The crux of scoring is based around maintaining maxed out combo multiplier, but the game has a nasty habit of spawning several enemies that take dozens of hits to kill and end your run fairly easily while also stopping spawns on the easily-defeated fodder that's necessary to keep your combo going while you fell these behemoths. With Vlambeer's attention on Nuclear Throne (which is excellent, by the way) and no patch in sight, it's just too frustrating to lose a combo (and likely killed soon after) because two or three battleships all spawn within firing distance of your fragile flying machine.

My other purchase this week, King of Fighters XIII, has occupied the rest of my attention. I've watched quite a bit of theory and systems basics (Juicebox could easily teach a class on the game), but perhaps predictably precious little of that has managed to carry over to actual gameplay. Not that it really matters, because KOFXIII is simply a blast to play. Fights are fast enough that even a crushing defeat still manages to be exhilarating. Street Fighter IV's intricate spacing, prediction and footsies are all blown out the window when your enemy is capable of rushing you down and embedding his foot in your face in a fraction of a second, which at my level of play makes desperately mashing buttons and randomly throwing out special moves actually somewhat viable. Some 100-odd games later, though, I'm starting to become re-acquainted with the execution idiosyncrasies of my arcade stick and actually pulling off a few combos. It's a slow, uphill climb, especially since I spend most of my time in Practice Mode vacillating between states of bewilderment and boredom, but it's nice to have a fighting game I can really sink my teeth into again after getting tired of Capcom trying to charge me again for the same game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    That said, Fallout Tactics is not a very good game. Pretty much none of the gameplay elements that made the first two Fallouts (and by extension, Wasteland) great are present.
    People still confused about what Tactics is? Its in the name my friend. Its a tactical suqad based game set in the Fallout universe. It is not a full fledged RPG, was never meant to be. It's Jagged Alliance 2 mixed with Fallout. A squad based tactics game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Remember to take a fifteen minute break for every hour you play!
    I was actually just thinking about that. I suck at remembering to take breaks and since I did something to my chair or my monitor or both a while ago (and I can't figure out if things are too high or too low), my neck and shoulder are completely screwed up.

... Quite a first world problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Still playing mostly Borderlands 2 with my girl and Meltdown. BL2 is just...good fun, in co-op. And Meltdown is a great little weeknight game. Quick missions, fun if simple game play.
    Almost done with Meltdown myself. Only two achievements left to go, and they're both slogs - collect all the weapons and hit prestige level 3 (I don't know if I can be bothered with either). It does suffer once you realise grenades and rockets are the only really viable weapons in the missions, and if you're playing wave attack/horde mode it's all but essential to have the heavy machine gun set to minimise heat and the Fury skill maxed out. Still fun, mind! It is utterly insane rushing around with Fury at 100% on Wave 10 and above, every single hit a critical, every enemy exploding the moment they appear, the screen shaking near constantly, every Nuke pickup killing half the current wave at least, knowing the moment you slip up you're probably dead... it's just that's pretty much all there is to it. Eh, ten hours of quality simple entertainment for $5; can't complain.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Ah, ok! That's fair. My main experience with the series was dune 2, on the mega drive of all things. Still a classic, but a first taster of how inadequate a controller was for RTS games.
    And no save system either! It was still great though, I remember spending hours on it.