Page 119 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 19691091171181191201211291692196191119 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 23789
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    RE: Xbox Dashboard
    Here's a guide on how to block those annoying-ass ads; you can also use it to completely block ad servers from accessing your PC. I haven't tried the latter option myself because I don't want to cause any incompatibilities.

As far as sales go: I only buy games when they're on sale from XBLA, because frankly they're overpriced, and even then I try my hardest to stick to exclusives or games that are simply better on consoles (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Shadow Complex, and now ITSP and Bloodrayne.) I've had my eye on Outcast for a while but I don't think it's gone on sale...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Bastion.

I'm rather enjoying it, which is a relief.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Stuff about Xbox
    Thanks for the link - I didn't even realize this was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    I have the PSP version of Chains of Olympus (the first PSP GoW game), when I played through it I thought it was prettty good but also quite short.
    God, I loved that game! It's, well... embarrassingly, it's my first GoW game. The action, the bossfights and all. Well-crafted indeed. Didn't have the chance to play it and Monster Hunter again 'coz my PSP broke.

Speaking of Monster Hunter, played Tri on my Wii online today and trying to mine every single ore I need for that hammer upgrade tires me out. There aren't many people left online, though.

Just reinstalled Unreal Tournament GOTY for the Rocket Arena Deathmatch in DM-Morpheus with Turbo on. Will never play Quake III again.

Quote Originally Posted by AlonePlusEasyTarget View Post
    I heard good things about Doom's freeplay mod so you might want to try that. Good hunting fellow Stalker.
    thanks man

Super Meat Boy I got with HIB#4, been thinking about buying it a long time ago even on Xbox, but as things go if you have xbox and you're from country that has less than 50 gazzillion citizens you pretty much can't buy anything on Xbox live. I had to buy microsoft wireless adapter for Xbox gamepad and game is a blast - sooooo much content you can't believe that only 2 guys made it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTambourineMan View Post
    Super Meat Boy I got with HIB#4, been thinking about buying it a long time ago even on Xbox, but as things go if you have xbox and you're from country that has less than 50 gazzillion citizens you pretty much can't buy anything on Xbox live. I had to buy microsoft wireless adapter for Xbox gamepad and game is a blast - sooooo much content you can't believe that only 2 guys made it.
    That's just the five stages of Super Meat Boy in action:
    1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    You missed out 6-25, which is "Swearing a lot."
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    That's just the five stages of Super Meat Boy in action:
    1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance
    I skipped to 5.
    "I accept this is not the game for me".
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    E.Y.E
    I had a moment early on when the dumbass sorta-French invented words, totally random lore and nightmarish audio-visual design almost made me abandon it.
    I pushed through, finally reached the first "real" level and an hour later I'm in love with this game.

I have no idea what's going on - something about Mars, aliens, alternate dimensions, monks, some Federation, doors that hacked me back and killed me, it's just, what?
    However the combat and atmosphere are great. The basic pistol was instantly satisfying and when I finally tried the SMG, it felt better than most other games' miniguns. The combat reminds me a lot of Stalker's.
    Also I didn't find it hard to pick up and play. I watched three or four of the 23 tutorial videos and it was enough.
    I'm very curious to see where the game goes. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Sirkicks Does it have anything out of combat? Stealth, other units to command, traps, dialogue trees(that are not terribad) or puzzles?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Spoiled by the Steam sale...

I've been spending most of my time with Cave Story. FUCK, this game is hard. And it's not even just the fact that it's hard; it's honestly not a very well designed game. There's a lot of backtracking and fetch quests, and the fact that there's a 3-minute unskippable cutscene before almost every one of the bosses (and the bosses ain't exactly a walk in the park) annoys me to no end. I hate that the weapons downgrade if you take too much damage, ESPECIALLY because there's a fully-upgraded weapon that is necessary for exploration/progress. In other words, if you take too much damage, you have to go and grind out a bunch of kills (which you'll be doing a LOT, because the enemy spawns are abundant) to get where you need to go.

I also hate it that you use teleporters to get between zones. I can't believe people compare this game to the likes of Super Metroid! The elegantly designed levels are what makes these games. It's not even on the same level, from the wonky jump to the spammy enemies to the dumb story. That said, it's still better than most games out there anyways. That said, I wish Aquaria got the kind of love lavished on this game thrown its way, as it's (in my opinion) far superior.

I've been grinding out achievements for the gift sale; haven't won any games yet but I did manage to trade my coal for Payday: The Heist. Quick thoughts on what I've been playing (some of which I just had sitting around and never played them until now)

Fate of the World - I kind of see where this game is going, but the interface confused the hell out of me. I ended up cheating to get the achievement and I don't really see myself playing this unless I literally have no alternative (so, maybe in 2015.)
    Rise of Immortals - This game sucks. A lot. There are far better alternatives and I can't believe people honestly play it.
    Renegade Ops -Only played a bit of singleplayer, but I liked it enough to buy a copy for a friend. I imagine that it's a ludicrous amount of fun with other people; I can see the problems that were addressed in the WIT though.
    Bit.Trip Runner - I've always really liked this game, though it definitely gets too hard for me in the later sections. It's instantly charming, it looks great, and I love the soundtrack.
    Space Pirates and Zombies - I'm upset that I ignored this game for so long. It's a brilliant SHMUP/RTS/RPG mash-up and it's HUGE. I'm really enjoying it so far; I wouldn't say it's necessarily "well-written" but it's definitely funny. I'm amazed that this was made by a two-man team.
    Defcon - I have no idea what's going on in this game, but it definitely warrants further investigation.

And I've been splitting the rest of my attention between Dota 2, Killing Floor and Swords of Soldiers HD, which has a surprisingly great multiplayer mode.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Fate of the World - I kind of see where this game is going, but the interface confused the hell out of me. I ended up cheating to get the achievement and I don't really see myself playing this unless I literally have no alternative (so, maybe in 2015.)
    To be fair though, this isn't the type of game that you can just fire up and expect to get the achievement right away (though there is a super great post in the Steam forums that walks people through it.) I'll grant that the interface is a bit rough, but its an extremely slow paced game -- you gotta carefully read all of the news posts, react in what you think is the best option and take your time with it. Trust me, once it clicks, its amazing, but you really have to spend time with the tutorial and take your time. The game is purposely designed to be hard as hell as well. Its definitely worth spending time with to fully grasp the nuances. I'm sure if you made a thread in the forums you'd get a ton of advice about it.
    Defcon
    Is it worth $2.50?

Swords of Soldiers HD, which has a surprisingly great multiplayer mode.
    For me, it was fun for a bit but got old pretty fast. Not enough units / strategies and it feels a bit spammy.

To be fair though, this isn't the type of game that you can just fire up and expect to get the achievement right away (though there is a super great post in the Steam forums that walks people through it.) I'll grant that the interface is a bit rough, but its an extremely slow paced game -- you gotta carefully read all of the news posts, react in what you think is the best option and take your time with it. Trust me, once it clicks, its amazing, but you really have to spend time with the tutorial and take your time. The game is purposely designed to be hard as hell as well. Its definitely worth spending time with to fully grasp the nuances. I'm sure if you made a thread in the forums you'd get a ton of advice about it.
    To be fair though, I decided not to play Rollercoaster Tycoon the other day because the interface looked too intimidating. A game that I fully understood at the age of 10.

Is it worth $2.50?
    Probably. You can nuke Santa. Might want to get someone else's opinion on it though. I would imagine that the multiplayer is where the real attraction is.

For me, it was fun for a bit but got old pretty fast. Not enough units / strategies and it feels a bit spammy.
    I just like it because there's a lot of noobs on right now trying to get the achievement, which makes it easy as hell to win by rushing dartblowers and necromancers (shamans? Whatever.) I was actually surprised by how dynamic the strategies could get, though I've only played 10 or 15 games. Building towers in the opponent's base (Age of Empires-style!) is a personal joy that will probably never get old.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    @Sirkicks Does it have anything out of combat? Stealth, other units to command, traps, dialogue trees(that are not terribad) or puzzles?
    You can hack robots, enemies and other players. I was very satisfied when I hid behind a wall, hacked a dude and then murdered his friends. I haven't figured out stealth as in "crouch and hope nobody sees me" - everybody detects me from a distance, but I guess that's only fair as I can do the same. It doesn't feel retarded like in Far Cry for example. There are silenced weapons, a cloaking ability, some psychis powers, so I'm sure I'll eventually become a Predator.

The levels are huge, full of alternate routes, and the quests can be approached in multiple ways, so you can definitely mix things up. No traps or puzzles so far.
    The dialogue trees are Stalker "quality", with the added bonus that usually you have the option to reply in a hilariously slavish manner to your superiors.

Other thoughts:
    - It nails the feeling of being a dude in a power-armor that weighs a ton. I'm super fast, but when I jump and land the ground shakes. Also I have about ten times more health than my regular enemies, which die in one or two hits.
    - The health system is brilliant. I have the ability to transform weapons and ammo lying on the ground into health. This encourages me to keep moving forward and makes every dropped enemy worth something even if I don't need his equipment
    - Being part of a huge organization, I have access to a lot of badass equipment from the start. I love that.
    - I can block bullets with my sword

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Still Minecraft, but with a bit of other stuff:

Did the Defcon and Fate of the World achievements. I hadn't looked at the games before, but they're interesting and now I have two to play when I'm feeling especially misanthropic.

Bought and looked at Polynomial for a bit and it seems like it might good when I need something slower than Audiosurf.

Spent a while trying to get the gold that keeps eluding me on one of the story missions of Defense Grid (after I'd done the achievement), but failed miserably this time too. And got utterly mangled on the first mission of the new DLC.

Network Hub
    Polynomial is the only game that's ever given me motion sickness. When I played it for the summer sale ticket, it was almost unbearable.

The winter achievement for it was far easier to get because for some reason, my PC decided to run it at 10 FPS which stopped any motion sickness as the game kept stuttering.

Its probably one of the few games I regret buying simply because its unplayable to me without getting sick.

For me, Beat Hazard fills the music game genre gap nicely, especially since they added all the Internet radio stations. Combining shmups with music works way better than I thought it would.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    did the achievement for Dungeons of dredmore which i bought on this sale. fun game but i don't see myself playing it again after just 3 days... well. maybe in few weeks.
    also did the achievement for that MP game where you have to throw a snowball but i forgot the name
    and played a bit of audiosurf again. damn. that game is shway.
    Question tough about fate of the world. almost bought the indie bundle just for it but decided otherwise. now with achievement i might do it...
    how long does it take to get it? for complete noob but i think i would use guidelines if there are any.

and i am still going through septerra core. 26 hours in.

Network Hub
    Lukasz you can get the Fate of the World achievement in like 5 minutes tops.

In the Steam forums, in the winter achievement thread, someone on page 3 or 4 posted a walkthrough on how to get it and tailored it to new players as well.

I think the only problem is you have to complete the tutorial first (unless they changed this), but that's not that difficult, so maybe 20 to 25 minutes for the whole thing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Defcon - Is it worth $2.50?
    You ever played RISK and wondered, "What would happen if everyone moved at the same time, but still in a turn, without knowing what the other person was doing?" It's that, but with nukes. The game is balanced intrinsically along two ideals: 1. Do as much damage to your enemy as possible, in the way of millions of casualties. 2. Try to minimise your human cost. As soon as you think "I don't want anyone to die", you're playing it wrong. It's a case of keeping them to a minimum, because you will lose millions.

Try the demo. You have limited MP access, from what I remember. You'll know from that whether you like it or not.