Page 122 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 22721121201211221231241321722226221122 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 23328
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    BF; which is pretty much the only thing they've been doing since Mirror's Edge.
    They've also been making FPS/BF for longer before Mirror's Edge than they have done since. Although, this becomes somewhat muddied when you take into account ideas for Mirror's Edge were adapted from at the very least Battlefield 2's engine, if not having parts of it implemented in the game itself, so they've been running with it for a few years. The interesting thing is, the tech is clearly there, so that's not an excuse. I think we just need the fad of FPS to die back down again for a little bit so the more unusual types can come back out again. Hell, DICE also worked on a couple of rally games that were of good acclaim, I believe.

Also, glad to hear you're enjoying Sonic Generations, Rauten!

EDIT: You're correct, UnravThreads, Westwood mostly became EA LA who worked on CnC3-4.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    You mean the remnants of Westwood (sorry about the Redwood confusion, I'll proceed to smack myself silly) are the ones responsible for the torture I was subjected to while trying to get the Rise of Immortals winter achievement?!
    I don't know whether to pity them, or scorn them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    You mean the remnants of Westwood (sorry about the Redwood confusion, I'll proceed to smack myself silly) are the ones responsible for the torture I was subjected to while trying to get the Rise of Immortals winter achievement?!
    I don't know whether to pity them, or scorn them.
    Yeah. That great, great pedigree resulted in Rise of Immortals. To be honest, I think we have to give Petroglyph a little bit of room as they largely self-publish. Guardians of Graxia and RoI aren't done through any publisher, so it might explain why they sometimes feel a little... poor.

That RoI achievement is just a dick, though. It's not Petroglyph's fault as such, but it was a terrible choice for the Winter Sale thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Jamestown -- This game is always amazing.
    So far it's full of graphical errors for me, menu texts not appearing, ghost graphics, etc.
    Rather unimpressive seeing as it's 2D.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    It always worries me when people suggest that they actually like QTEs. I'm afraid a developer might stumble upon it and feel vindicated in their addition.

Look at Vanquish: (I know, it's console-exclusive) it probably has the best-implemented QTEs I've ever seen; they're unique, intuitive, sparingly used and usually completely ridiculous, but they don't make the game better. I'd still rather be doing hundred-yard knee-slides than playing a rhythm game.

P.S. What happened to Redwood, btw?
    There was an EA Redwood Shores; it now goes by the name Visceral Games.
    Last edited by sabrage; 26-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.

I like my coffee black and my games visceral.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Alan Wake. just began 3rd episode. alright game i guess. scary surprising at best but story is very very good at least so far. shame there is no PC release and I have to play it on my nieces' xbox

The PC version will be coming out within the next few months, as it goes.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Look at Vanquish: (I know, it's console-exclusive) it probably has the best-implemented QTEs I've ever seen; they're unique, intuitive, sparingly used and usually completely ridiculous, but they don't make the game better. I'd still rather be doing hundred-yard knee-slides than playing a rhythm game.
    Is Vanquish worth the ú10-or-so an older 360 game can be bought for? It's been on my 'maybe' list for a while now because I've heard good things about it but am just never sure when it comes to console FPS games (unless they have 'Halo' in the title).

OT: Finished second playthrough of The Witcher 2 going the other (Roche) path. As before it was a case of getting to Chapter 3 and then playing that all the way through without stopping - they nail the pace so well at the end. Loved every second of the game and it's worth reiterating once again how the game is essentially very different based on who you choose to follow at the end of Chapter 2. So if you've finished it once choosing Roche, you still have another, mostly-unique playthrough following Iorveth to follow.

Vanquish is EXCELLENT. Good lord, it is amazingly good. It's everything a game should be, pretty much, minus the naff story. I wish it were on PC so I could play it at 1080p 60 fps with mouse and keyboard. It's just so fast, so slick, so eye-meltingly GOOD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Is Vanquish worth the ú10-or-so an older 360 game can be bought for? It's been on my 'maybe' list for a while now because I've heard good things about it but am just never sure when it comes to console FPS games (unless they have 'Halo' in the title).
    It's not an FPS, and as Miker says it's a fucking incredible game. It's a cover shooter that punishes you for using cover.... People talk about balls-out fun with Renegade Ops or Saints Row, but for my money you can't beat Vanquish in that department.

Network Hub
    Helping out my girlfriend out with a Star Wars: The Old Republic writing gig.

This means I get to play PvP since she a) hates it b) isn't good at it and c) needs someone to do it and document it so she can write about it for what she's doing.

SW:TOR has some of the worst PvP I've ever seen. It has only three "Warzones," and at least one of them, Huttball, is an abomination. It is just absolutely horrific. I'll go into greater detail if anyone is really dying to know.

The Alderaan PvP is ok, but everyone who plays this game in PvP is a moron I think. The concept of defense is lost to everyone, so no one defends the turrets they capture.

Haven't yet had the third Warzone pop up... its always stupid Huttball.

Not to mention there are a billion stuns in this game.

And the level scaling sucks. Basically, everyone scales (I believe) to near the highest level player, or maybe the lowest player scales down. Either way, everyone is on an equal battlefield. Which seems good, right? If I'm level 20, and there is a level 45 guy available, I'll scale up to him in stats and health. What I won't scale up to him is with abilities, so that level 45 has about twice as many abilities and can still make short work of you, so ultimately its pointless. I had a guy stun me six times in a row... there was nothing I could but just sit there and die.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 27-12-2011 at 10:46 AM.

See, even in moments where I've lost PvP in TOR, I've always found it to be due to play movement and skill. You get a lot of points for defending an objective, even if you see 2 or 3 kills, but no-one sticks around to notice that. The scaling isn't perfect, but I'd say it works well enough that when you have a fuller team, it all evens out. You only need to attack someone once to stop them doing an objective and you can be any level for that. I'm not saying I'm perfect at it, but I'm usually always 'up there'. The set-up of the maps is fine, it's just the players, as it always will be until you get people who are happy to communicate or who understand what defences are.