Page 130 of 1155 FirstFirst ... 30801201281291301311321401802306301130 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 23090
    A pure thief is not necessary. Turning it into a dwarf fighter/thief should do wonders. Don't be afraid to give your guys two-handed weapons. Make sure that your bard has the song active all the time. If you're still having problems, try to exchange the bard for a druid and the ranger for a a paladin. The paladin can heal and remove diseases as special abilities which is especially early in the game quite literally a blessing.
    Also, your cleric is your most important man. If this was a game of chess, he'd be your queen. Later on your wizard becomes one as well. Then you're playing chess with two queens.

Another golden rule: the longer a fight lasts, the less likely you are to win.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I think I know what you mean, sprinting is actually covered by the rules. Bad wording on my part, I was referring to the different speed modifiers the races and classes provide, which are a constant change in pace in contrary to a stamina based sprinting system (I think D&D does this via a sprinting skill somehow?), like for example in Skyrim.

In this case that is one reason less not to implement a sprinting option into the game, the base movement speed is really low. That's fine as long as you play a pen & paper game or round based computer game, where you do not have to wait out the movement in real-time, but it is a nuisance in NWN2.
    That's not what I'm talking about. D&D does not require game time to match up with real time. If moving from one city to another in D&D takes 20 days, it doesn't mean the group has to wait 20 actual real life days before they can continue their campaign. It's an abstraction. Therefore it doesn't break D&D for your characters to run at 100000000000 miles per real life hour.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Ok, having my arse absolutely handed to me in Icewind Dale. Any suggestions? My party is a Ranger, Mage, Thief, Cleric, Fighter and Bard... Guessing it's not a tough enough group, but I don't really want to load up on boring old fighty-types.
    That group is absolutely fine. I'm sure you could even solo the game with just the bard. The attributes of your characters are the most important thing, however.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    I'd much prefer turn-based combat, but I guess pausing will suffice.
    Yes. Turn-based combat is superior.

Network Hub
    Damn, can't get Skynet to detect Future Shock. Future Shock has such a horrible resolution without it.

Has anyone here got both running together under DOSBox?

ETA: Forget it -- the thing isn't even stable in SVGA. Its good the Bethesda tradition of buggy as shit games stretches back this far and touches every one of their games. Its like their trademark!

And yea, I know Daggerfall is buggy as well but Terminator is a pretty straight forward, non-open ended game.

Guess I'll just deal with 320x200.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 04-01-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If you are not going to carefully tune your tank, healer and dps characters than I recommend 6 clerics. NOTHING they can't do.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    The First Templar
    This game is more entertaining than it has any right to be. If these guys had a bigger budget (and no Tropico in development, I guess) it would be a Darksiders-style surprise hit. I'm baffled by how much gameplay and visual variety it has.

I abandoned L.A. Noire in favour of Driver: San Francisco. It's pure gold, absolutely hilarious and brilliant writing in service of a very solid action game. If anyone played The Wheelman - this game took the best parts of that one and mixed them with Burnout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If you are not going to carefully tune your tank, healer and dps characters than I recommend 6 clerics. NOTHING they can't do.
    I recently got Icewind Dale, and if I ever get around to playing it I'm going to roll through the game with this. I'll try to get FRAPS up and running when I do.

I'm eagerly awaiting an N64 I grabbed off Ebay, and everything in my games library kind of pales compared to the excitement playing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the first time brings me. I've mostly been playing bite-sized games like Bit.Trip Runner, Wipeout HD and Nightsky in very small increments. I've decided that if I endeavor to just beat one level of Bit.Trip a day, I may actually finish the game without getting massively frustrated.

When I do work up the urge to game proper, I've been switching off between Arx Fatalis and Shadow of the Colossus, the latter of which probably has my favorite game soundtrack of all time. It's sparse like a Lynch film when you're riding around, but when it comes to the actual battles it's really quite remarkable. I'd love to put my hands on a physical copy, but they seem really hard to find.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I'm eagerly awaiting an N64 I grabbed off Ebay, and everything in my games library kind of pales compared to the excitement playing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the first time brings me.
    Oh man, these games are hard to look at nowadays, but the gameplay is still gold, especially Majora's Mask which is one of my favorite games ever.
    Last edited by Giaddon; 04-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Oh man, these games are hard to look at nowadays, but the gameplay is still gold, especially Majora's Mask which is one of my favorite games ever.
    I never really understood these comments, but then I still play the original Super Smash Bros on an almost weekly basis. I tried emulating Ocarina with a texture pack, and in my opinion it made the game look hideous (and also caused it to crash, which is why I never played much.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I'm eagerly awaiting an N64 I grabbed off Ebay, and everything in my games library kind of pales compared to the excitement playing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the first time brings me.
    Please, please, please tell me you also have Perfect Dark.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    There are ways and means to play them at 1080p and beyond.

Certainly takes the edge off the ugliness.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 04-01-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

There are ways and means to play them at 1080p and beyond.

Certainly takes the edge off the ugliness.
    Yes, but emulators are too fiddly and sterile and upscan converters are too expensive.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Trying very hard to put up with the Anno 1404 campaign, but it's just such utter tripe. Hunting around for some orphans in a ship? I wanted a city-building game...

So instead, I've pretty much given up and am instead playing some Tropico 3. Oh god, I forgot how amazing the radio chatter was.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Trying very hard to put up with the Anno 1404 campaign, but it's just such utter tripe. Hunting around for some orphans in a ship? I wanted a city-building game...
    Play continuous, that's the real game. The campaigns are just extended, annoying tutorials.

Desperados is soooooo hard! One of the hardest games I've ever played. The secret is really to murder everyone.
    You're right, the game is pretty tough, even with hotkeys set and training missions teaching you the basics. In part this is because the enemies tend to show erratic behaviours from time to time, like turning around for a really brief moment without anything or anyone within earshot or "suspicious" enemies that for some reason get stuck in their "I'll check the surroundings" routine until the most inconvenient moment.

In addition, Cooper and the gang tend to react slowly from time to time, making timed actions a bit of a gamble. Also: Pathing. Why can't I ride my horse through this obviously opened gate? So yes, I tend to murder quite a lot of people, just to get them out of my way (it should be noted that I have played through Commandos 1+2, so I am not really unfamiliar with this kind of game). This led to the bizarre situation in which I killed off the entire guard force of a wealthy southern states farmer's cotton plantation, just to release one guy from the man's services and recruit him into my gang. Madness.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    extended, annoying tutorials
    On that note, is there a proper manual or similar for it somewhere? There's a teeny little "DON'T DIE OF EPILEPSY AND SUE US PLS" PDF (with some vague suggestions as to what the buttons on the main menu do) that comes with the download, plus the thing on wikia which is rather dire. It's half the reason I've stuck with the campaign - nothing else even tries to explain it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure there's a setting in IWD that auto-pauses at the end of every round, which makes it more like turn-based anyway.
    I did poke around the Options menu to look for something along those lines, but came up empty. I'll have another look though, 'cause I'd much prefer turn-based, at least until I'm familiar with the game.

I'm not sure how you've specced your ranger, but at first glance your party looks too singularly focused on ranged attacks. Can you give us a run down of how a typical fight is going?
    You're probably right about the ranged focus, because I was able to easily tackle the handful of Goblins when I made them run at me through a hail of arrows, but once I leave the first area and the small pack of wolves get in my face, things go downhill quickly.
    I do like the fact that you can change your party on the go, but I wanted to avoid that for XP gaining reasons, though it sounds like I'll need to make some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    [Class advice]
    Thanks. Sound advice. I'll take that all under advisement when I tweak my party.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Another golden rule: the longer a fight lasts, the less likely you are to win.
    Yeah, I started to realise that during my fights with the wolves. Even when I got it down to one wolf he could still do some damage if I didn't put him down quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    That group is absolutely fine. I'm sure you could even solo the game with just the bard. The attributes of your characters are the most important thing, however.
    Alright, I'm curious - how would one pull this off?

Haha, sounds kind of boring though. I deliberately picked some weird classes that I haven't played around with before, though it's actually been a very long time since I played anything D&D-related besides Planescape: Torment, and I don't know if that even counts. I don't want to go down the min-maxing route 'cause that's no fun.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    That's not what I'm talking about. D&D does not require game time to match up with real time. If moving from one city to another in D&D takes 20 days, it doesn't mean the group has to wait 20 actual real life days before they can continue their campaign. It's an abstraction. Therefore it doesn't break D&D for your characters to run at 100000000000 miles per real life hour.
    Yeah, that's what I meant with

"In this case that is one reason less not to implement a sprinting option into the game, the base movement speed is really low. That's fine as long as you play a pen & paper game or round based computer game, where you do not have to wait out the movement in real-time, but it is a nuisance in NWN2."

It works fine with pen & paper, but walking speed in NWN2 (in context of an actual screen you are playing on, not the fast travel map) would have profited from a possibility to let your characters run/sprint, so you can go quicker about things.

Network Hub
    Actually, I changed my mind completely about what I'm playing.

I've never played Jagged Alliance 2 more than a few minutes, and after reading Adam Smith's piece on the new game, I think its time I give JA 2 a shot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    On that note, is there a proper manual or similar for it somewhere? There's a teeny little "DON'T DIE OF EPILEPSY AND SUE US PLS" PDF (with some vague suggestions as to what the buttons on the main menu do) that comes with the download, plus the thing on wikia which is rather dire. It's half the reason I've stuck with the campaign - nothing else even tries to explain it.
    All you need is the production chain table and to learn how to set up trade routes.
    Don't bother with the fighting, just set up a peaceful sandbox game with all three factions and enjoy.