Page 132 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 32821221301311321331341421822326321132 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 24116
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I actually liked AC1 but I rationed it and played it with other games, softening how repetitive it felt certainly, I honestly felt AC2 is the one with the weakest combat, by the end of AC1 I was one hit killing anyone who hesitated making me feel very ninja.
    Well, AC1 definitely had simpler and easier combat. Once you got the counter move, you could basically one hit kill every single enemy just by pushing a button.

Personally, I found it really boring, though. It was just "push a button, wait for a death animation, repeat."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It's got great style but it's a bit hard for me and for the wrong reasons (e.g. some mercs not being available on the maps, at random?). I've been to play it less casually because that simply doesn't work for long. Maybe I'll try enabling the Casual or Triplets mods.

The staple of my diet is still Sanctum with a bit of The Oil Blue on the side. Yesterday I also tried some Kawata Shoujo.
    I think "chooser" solves the problem you're referencing.

Damn I love Sanctum. I wish there were more maps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Well, AC1 definitely had simpler and easier combat. Once you got the counter move, you could basically one hit kill every single enemy just by pushing a button.

Personally, I found it really boring, though. It was just "push a button, wait for a death animation, repeat."
    True enough, if AC2 had the same combat I would have likely complained about that too.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I've just finished the main story arc of Skyrim. I just felt that it was time to see all of the Dragons. For me, the showdown was a bit anticlimatic, but the fact that I mainly used Illusion and Conjuration magic might have something to do with that. Nevertheless, what a great game.

Now I'm planning to dive into the game again right away, roll a new character, and get involved in some politics, Deadric rituals (seriously, the sidequests involving Daedric Princes are no great help in invoking fear or awe in me...), and Nord drinking contests.

To the chopping block... cave... eh... scene!!

Spent a few hours trying to play the first areas of Neverwinter Nights (1)'s expansions, they are both pretty much how i remember them, but I have become expectant. Guild Wars has done most of the damage to my mind, the utter lack of skills (see warrior, thief, etc.) or having to rest every fight (mage, cleric etc.) means that the game has no flow whatsoever, or is numbingly boring.

As much as the Dragon Age 1 combat bored me (I stopped shortly after the origin story and never went back) with its pitiful range of skills for warriors at least it had a few, and mages were much more like Guild wars, if not a strategically interesting. Sure other games like Torchlight (which was pretty boring once i finished its main story) and Bastion (uninstalled very shortly after finishing the story, never want to play it again, but enjoyed it) got their kicks in. Why cant the game be punchy, have coop, allow massive strategic flexibility tell a story without you having to desperately dig for it and try new things without it having to punish you for experimentation?

So that's it then, I've become a spoiled child. Only 1 unit to control? Limited powers? Loads of down time?
    Unacceptable!

That's not to say I don't have issues with the acting and voice work, Deekin despite being 15% Jarjar Binks is still well written enough to be enjoyable, but the traditional-ness of nearly everyone else is rather boring. But then, at least I never felt like I was fed a massive force fed character betrayal like Mass Effect 2 ("Yes I'll work with you, you racist space terrorist") or uttery rail roaded down an illogical path ("Sure, I'll drink your suicide potion that offers me no actual benifits but forces me to join your faction", "yes lets piss about helping people for no reason so that I have more XP for the final boss despite the fact the world is ending","yes, I would like to join you despite it being super obvious you will betray me").

I guess its true what you say, you cant go back, I just didn't realise Guild wars was my turning point, not for story obviously, the Guild Wars story was straight out of a DnD paper back.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 05-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What did you expect? Neverwinter Nights is a single character D&D game. Of course it's going to be extremely boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    What did you expect? Neverwinter Nights is a single character D&D game. Of course it's going to be extremely boring.
    I enjoyed Soloing Planescape Torment (a second playthrough where i tried to annoy everyone as much as possible after kissing up the first game) and Baldurs gate 1&2. To be honest, I enjoyed Baldurs Gate 1 less with a full party, so much fussing about with minutia (open door, fire a load of area effect death rays wait a few seconds and send in the main tank), like I said *SPOILED*.

Now this is more like it.
    I got Dawn of war II:Retribution with a Christmas gift card, added it on steam and forgot I'd probably save time using the disc. The regardless the game is a riot under the right conditions. I started 3 campaigns to choose who to use. And yes, it really is just one campaign with a handful of variations. I started Orks (funny but strategically dull), Tryanids (dull but strategically exciting) and Imperial guard (excellent lines from the commisar and commando but very bloby and hard to micro effectively).

The versatility of the Tryanids make them an absolute joy to command, I am only on mission 3 but I can throw down a squad of reavers(for free) at a moments notice, in synapse range I suffer no suppression and nearby squads reinforced near my commander (also free) these free troops break the mission economy but also allow for a stomping good time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    and Imperial guard (excellent lines from the commisar and commando but very bloby and hard to micro effectively)
    There's no "micro" with Imperial Guard. There is only "blob" and "airdrop reinforcements."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Deus Ex tricked me. My first real mission and I misinterpret the idle chatter of two supposedly regretful terrorists as a possible choice.

"I'm just sayin', I'm not shootin' anyone unless they're pointing a gun at me."

- I holster my weapon and step into the room in an attempt to peacefully negotiate -

"Look out! Shoot him!"
    Update: I'm feeling better now that I've been given the opportunity to run around town for sidequests. Met some whores who want me to cosplay a Hitman. I'm down with that, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    There's no "micro" with Imperial Guard. There is only "blob" and "airdrop reinforcements."
    Then why do I have 4 heroes with click to use abilities, units with facings, units that die faster clumped and a need to drop units out of melee range?

Maybe being a CoH player has frayed my expectations... My expectations have a lot to answer for.

Network Hub
    Still playing Jagged Alliance 2 for the first time -- I love how deep it is.

Just captured all of Drassen just to have 9 guys show up and cause my team a world full of hurt. The health system in this game is especially brutal, I never really have my team at full health.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I think "chooser" solves the problem you're referencing.
    Combatant also looks good, it prevents the game from selecting only defensive mercs, which is the most frustrating situation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Damn I love Sanctum. I wish there were more maps.
    Agreed. I'm almost out of maps already, although there's still plenty of playtime in them for me and I haven't bought any of the DLC maps yet. Since Coffee Stain opened their own forum, I have a feeling they might be working on something new, hopefully this won't keep em from releasing new maps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Saint's Row 3 is so incredibly stupid, but I love it. It's really confusing to me though. An autotuned pimp and a dildoweapon... I shouldn't like this game.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Agreed. I'm almost out of maps already, although there's still plenty of playtime in them for me and I haven't bought any of the DLC maps yet. Since Coffee Stain opened their own forum, I have a feeling they might be working on something new, hopefully this won't keep em from releasing new maps.
    Do you have the DLC weapons? I can't even imagine playing that game without Violators. I'd actually recommend all of the DLC, it provides some interesting (but not overpowered) new options and some fun and unique new maps.

You should absolutely grab the DLC maps for Sanctum. IMHO they're better than the vanilla ones that shipped with the main game. Joyous.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

I've got the Violator, Penetrator and Killing Floor. So far I haven't even used them once, still focusing on the default ones (mind you, I've only played on Normal difficulty and still haven't tried Survival). I was very close to getting the other stuff during the holidays, but eventually decided to postpone until I had seen more of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    You should absolutely grab the DLC maps for Sanctum. IMHO they're better than the vanilla ones that shipped with the main game. Joyous.
    I'm particularly fond of Aftermath, myself. They're all good, though.

Definitely give Violator and KF a try, they're brilliant towers and make a great addition to the game's arsenal; the former has a HUMONGOUS range and great damage (yet slow enough fire rate not to become overpowered) and the latters can be used to utilise the hordes' movement area with incredibly deadly results. Penetrator is nice too but due to its nature requires a lot of cunning and somewhat finicky planning, it's fallen somewhat out of the way for me because it's less convoluted to focus on the other towers.

-----

Just to stay on topic, I'm still playing EYE. The game's habit of crashing after every mission is becoming a right pain, especially when coupled with the terrible loading times and the utterly stupid decision to have a 5-second 'map' to cross when starting the game before getting to the actual main game (leading to yet more loading screens). And yet I still find it enjoyable enough to go on.
    Last edited by Flint; 06-01-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

@Filint

I love and adore Violators, but I've had no luck with Killing Floors. Any advice on how best to use them? For the most part the only "plate" towers I tend to use are highly upgraded slow fields.

----

To topic: Yet more Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. This is one of my favorite co-op games of all time, and is in serious contention for the top spot on the list. So much fun, so well designed, I dearly hope they continue this series. I lost interest in the primary Tomb Raider games long ago, but the top-down third person camera and co-op puzzles really make this a much more enjoyable beast.

Still playing the SP of Assassin's Creed: Revelations. It's very much more of the same from Brotherhood with a couple of new tricks thrown in, but honestly that's fine with me. I have a real soft spot for these games, and don't seem to tire of them.

I got a copy of Scourge of War: Gettysburg for Xmas that I expect to get into over the weekend for the first time. It looks absolutely outstanding, a TW-like close-in perspective with commander psychology, lines of communication, and a breadth and depth of options and mechanics that are simply staggering. I'm really looking forward to this, and expect to quickly find myself picking up the Antietam and Pipe Creek (hurray for alternate history!) DLC packs as well.