Page 143 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 43931331411421431441451531932436431143 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 23792
    Activated Node
    I loved AC1s setting and thought the combat was a fresh breeze after playing too much Just Cause 2. I picked up part 2 immediately afterwards, but halfway through my mobo died and I lost interest.

Bought Anno 2070 yesterday and enjoying it so far. It's actually the first Anno where I intend to finish the campaign. Compared to 1404 (or Dawn of Discovery for you people on the wrong side of the ocean) they feel pretty much the same, but thank god they removed the "find the one special person in your 10000 inhabitant city" side missions

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Bought Anno 2070 yesterday and enjoying it so far. It's actually the first Anno where I intend to finish the campaign. Compared to 1404 (or Dawn of Discovery for you people on the wrong side of the ocean) they feel pretty much the same, but thank god they removed the "find the one special person in your 10000 inhabitant city" side missions
    I hated those, especially as that one person never seemed to spawn straight away. I too intend to finish the 2070 campaign, but I don't know if I'll get to it any time soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I guess I've never been impressed by AssCreed's "hold the button and run forward" style of climbing. I'll take a good platformer or Shadow of the Colossus any day for that.
    To each their own. I've never had much use for twitch gameplay (partly because I'm terrible at it, I'm sure), I'd rather the game be about choosing where to go instead of hitting the right sequence of buttons in proper time to get there. That's probably why the AC series are pretty much the only action games I've enjoyed in ages.
    Last edited by vinraith; 15-01-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    gave up and installed Settlers 2. on second mission but i already played 2 hours. it will take ages to go through campaign.

I just started SpaceChem a little while ago, and it is lovely. I also started the Oracle of Ages/Seasons Zelda games for when I don't have the heart to sink my teeth into SpaceChem; they are pretty lousy and I may quit soon.

Recently finished playing Lemmings again. Trying to hunt down a copy of Oh No! More Lemmings, which I've never tried.

Sabrage: Don't give up on Ocarina of Time just yet. Like you, I played it for the first time pretty recently and bounced of the early parts of the game. I thought it significantly after the major event that occurs shortly after Jabu-Jabu (although there are still irritating points). Dungeons 4-6 are all excellent, and one of my favorite moments in gaming is in the Fire Temple when you get the hammer, after which there are 4 or 5 puzzles in quick succession where the solution is "smash it with a hammer." It's very satisfying.

Wizardry: Have you played Quest for Glory? I'm sure it's not hugely your style, but I was wondering if you could recommend a CRPG that hits the same part of the palate. One thing that I really liked about Quest for Glory and that I think is sorely missing from most RPGs is compelling use of abilities in a non-combat context. Because the games are half puzzles, there is a lot of room for wizards and thieves to use their skills in an interesting way. And I loved that Quest for Glory combined this with quite a bit of freedom and a world that felt fairly alive.

Most post-DOS RPGs (I don't really have experience with DOS-era RPGs) never have any interesting gameplay outside of combat (clicking a button or playing a dumb minigame to pick a lock or disarm a trap does not count). There's the whole collecting and crafting thing, but that's never interested me, and there are the talky RPGs like Planescape Torment and Arcanum and Fallout, which I enjoy but do not scratch the same itch. Any recommendations? I'm considering Darklands, Realms of Arkania, and Albion. (It's possible that I'm looking in the wrong place; to some extent, Deus Ex and Hitman have given me the closest sort of satisfaction.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    gave up and installed Settlers 2. on second mission but i already played 2 hours. it will take ages to go through campaign.
    Yeah, the campaign is far too long, play skirmish free for all with 8 players.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Stuff.
    Seems kind of interesting. I might even give it a try one day. So how much control do you have over each individual character? Is the protagonist fixed or can you make your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman Tribe Leader View Post
    Wizardry: Have you played Quest for Glory? I'm sure it's not hugely your style, but I was wondering if you could recommend a CRPG that hits the same part of the palate. One thing that I really liked about Quest for Glory and that I think is sorely missing from most RPGs is compelling use of abilities in a non-combat context. Because the games are half puzzles, there is a lot of room for wizards and thieves to use their skills in an interesting way. And I loved that Quest for Glory combined this with quite a bit of freedom and a world that felt fairly alive.
    There aren't any games like Quest for Glory as it's a true hybrid. You often see adventure game elements in older RPGs, but not as many as Quest for Glory.

Most post-DOS RPGs (I don't really have experience with DOS-era RPGs) never have any interesting gameplay outside of combat (clicking a button or playing a dumb minigame to pick a lock or disarm a trap does not count). There's the whole collecting and crafting thing, but that's never interested me, and there are the talky RPGs like Planescape Torment and Arcanum and Fallout, which I enjoy but do not scratch the same itch. Any recommendations? I'm considering Darklands, Realms of Arkania, and Albion. (It's possible that I'm looking in the wrong place; to some extent, Deus Ex and Hitman have given me the closest sort of satisfaction.)
    There are lots of them, but not many from the Windows era. Most nowadays boil down to combat and dialogue. Guns/swords and conversation, if you like. Older ones were much better. Wasteland is one of the most notable ones. Realms of Arkania and Darklands, as you mentioned, also allow you to actually do stuff outside of combat and conversations. None of them contain traditional adventure game elements, even though all three feature puzzles in their own ways.

Then you've got RPG series like The Magic Candle and Ultima which are about 10% combat, 30% dialogue and 60% exploration. The games are giant puzzles. Combat hardly ever progresses the plot. Instead, combat is just something to get through on your way to solving puzzles.

cthulhu_is_dead_long_live_cthulhu.jpg

Finally! A friend of mine and I finished Magicka - The Stars are Left tonight. There might be people that kill this fella in under one minute but I am quite content with... eh... the amount time it took us to do it.
    Last edited by Squiz; 15-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Playing Cthulhu Saves the World. I'm not sure if I'm going to persist until the end of the game though - I like the story and the humour, but I don't find the combat very interesting and there is a lot of it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

I just spent about half and hour with The Longest Journey. I made some progression and got to a part with a lot of story advancement (I don't want to spoil anything). Already I can see that it was a good purchase, even if I am still at the beginning. The dialogues are full of nudges towards game clichés and I've encountered at least two instances where they happily punch through the fourth wall. If you like listening to a lot of voice acting (it's well done) and don't mind the aged graphics (it's an adventure after all) I would highly recommend to give this a try.

And wasn't there someone from the RPS staff who absolutely adored the game? I'll have to have a look through the archives of the ancient RPS vaults.

Wizardry: Thanks! Hadn't heard of Magic Candle before, and I've been meaning to try Ultima for ages.

TailSwallower: I'm with you on Cthulhu. I thought I would love it (I've put up with plenty of boring JRPG combat over the years), but the loooong mazey dungeons with no plot or humor and too many random battles made me quit only 2 or 3 hours in.

squirrelfanatic: If it's about adventure games, it's probably John Walker. He's written about it at least twice. TLJ really is delightful, even if there are still a couple dud puzzles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post

And wasn't there someone from the RPS staff who absolutely adored the game? I'll have to have a look through the archives of the ancient RPS vaults.
    John Walker. I'd recommend waiting until you're done though, if I remember correctly a lot of the articles have spoilers in them. It's also possible that there are more articles about the sequel Dreamfall AKA "the one that made him cry."

The Longest Jounrey is wonderful. There's a few duff puzzles here and there but the characters and world they inhabit are delightful and soon ease any frustrations that occur.

---

I'm playing Limbo just now. I'm on the fence whether I like it or not (about at the halfway stage). I will reserve judgement but at the moment I can see it being one of those games where I don't fully get the praise lavished on it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Seems kind of interesting. I might even give it a try one day. So how much control do you have over each individual character? Is the protagonist fixed or can you make your own?
    From what I've played of the demo to that game, you generally only control Rush, the main character, and in the traditional style of JRPGs you don't get to make your own guy. In the demo there didn't seem to be a way to change that but the full game could well have something.

A little tidbit, IIRC, where Sabrage mentioned that Square wanted to appeal to Western audiences with TLR, originally Square planned to have two playable characters. One of which being the typical JRPG hero meant to appeal to Japan, and another who was targeted towards Western audiences. This idea didn't come through (although both characters do feature in the game) but the idea resurfaced in Nier, which actually went through with it, splitting the two leads across two versions of the game. Kind of like Pokemon.

I should really get around to actually buying The Last Remnant, it's not that expensive by now.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 16-01-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Terrorhedron - goddamn that game is addictive. It's simple at a glance (place guns, shoot things), but it actually takes a lot of strategy to get it right. For example, do you upgrade a certain turret and risk the chance that you'll lose a lot of money when you need something else there (selling only gives you 50%), or do you wait for the money to put something shinier there and hope that your defence is able to hold up for another round or two?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Finally found the last exit in Super Mario World. Now I only need to do the 8 secret world levels, but judging from the first one they're a lot harder than the main game levels. I think I spent as much time trying to figure out which bloody exit I missed as I did actually playing the game....

Sabrage: Don't give up on Ocarina of Time just yet. Like you, I played it for the first time pretty recently and bounced of the early parts of the game. I thought it significantly after the major event that occurs shortly after Jabu-Jabu (although there are still irritating points). Dungeons 4-6 are all excellent, and one of my favorite moments in gaming is in the Fire Temple when you get the hammer, after which there are 4 or 5 puzzles in quick succession where the solution is "smash it with a hammer." It's very satisfying.
    I know what part you're talking about (are we really alluding to spoilers 15 years later? Well, when in Rome...) but A Link to the Past came today and I'm just going to play that instead. I was really excited to play Ocarina after waiting all this time, but I'd much rather have a game that doesn't feel the need to signpost me at every step. I've played almost every top-down Zelda game and, judging by what I've seen of Ocarina and Twilight Princess, something just doesn't jive with me quite the same way in the 3D entries... Which is kind of strange, seeing as I enjoyed the hell out of Darksiders. Think I'll play LttP, catch up on my PC backlog a bit and then come back to Ocarina... I'm just not feeling it right now.
    Last edited by sabrage; 16-01-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Finally found the last exit in Super Mario World. Now I only need to do the 8 secret world levels, but judging from the first one they're a lot harder than the main game levels. I think I spent as much time trying to figure out which bloody exit I missed as I did actually playing the game
    HOW? I've never even passed the third island in that game :(

Got Dragon Quest (yes, again) V running on the DS and now married to beautiful (virtual) wife. Debora

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Think I'll play LttP
    There's always time to play LttP. It was my first Zelda title and it mesmerised me. What a bloody good game. Besides, if you play that you've pretty much played Twilight Princess. (You should still play TP, it's a great game, but LttP is, in my opinion, superior)