Page 146 of 1180 FirstFirst ... 46961361441451461471481561962466461146 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 23599
    Even now that I'm back with my desktop, I'm still playing Morrowind and really enjoying it - at level 12 right now. The judicious use of mods has helped, some of which may even be considered cheating but, to be honest, just got around things I found really annoying.
    For example, I installed an "increase walking speed" mod since I found the default one mind-numblingly slow (even with a Bosmer character with a high Speed attribute). Also, I installed an encumbrance mod since I found that with two weapons and medium armor equipped, my character could carry very little else, which was just annoying; little room for scrolls, potions or ingredients, never mind being able to pick up weapons/armor to sell.

I also eventually installed a "passive cliff racers" mod. I could handle them, but it got to the stage I couldn't walk more than 1 minute without having to fight one. Go away.

Am disappointed to find that enchanting bows is a bit limited (you can only apply passive enchants rather than, damage dealing ones. Oh, and saving every 5 minutes is a good thing since the game allows you, and occasionally does, really stupid things. (For example, get attacked by a Dark Brotherhood assassin in the Fighter's Guild - if you reload after dying and attack him first, all your mates jump in on _his_ side, because obviously he doesn't look at all suspicious, oh no.)

P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanclub View Post
    Also, I installed an encumbrance mod since I found that with two weapons and medium armor equipped, my character could carry very little else, which was just annoying; little room for scrolls, potions or ingredients, never mind being able to pick up weapons/armor to sell.
    I use encumbrance mods whenever a game has them, as nothing annoys me more than having to dick around with my inventory in a dungeon or having to go back to town regularly to sell everything. Skyrim is really nice in that all I had to do was type a console command and I have a weight limit in the thousands. The Witcher 2 had a nice mod which which made everything weightless (which made crafting anything so much easier in that game seeing as you had supplies of everything), but I never found anything for Dragon Age (beyond a mod which unlocks full backpack space straight away) which was annoying.

For my part I'm still playing Skyrim, although should be finishing the main quest any time now. Annoyingly I suddenly started to notice the aim correct that's present when firing arrows at certain distances, making the enemies into arrow magnets. Stupid damn console feature that doesn't seem to have an 'off' switch in-game. Just downloaded a mod which should stop it happening so here's hoping...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I plugged my PC into my TV for the first time and was amazed at how awesome it is. I played a good amount of Need For Speed Most Wanted on the Playstation, but this just blows it away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Been playing Dungeons of Dredmor a fair bit as I'm taking a break from Skyrim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I use encumbrance mods whenever a game has them, as nothing annoys me more than having to dick around with my inventory in a dungeon or having to go back to town regularly to sell everything. Skyrim is really nice in that all I had to do was type a console command and I have a weight limit in the thousands. The Witcher 2 had a nice mod which which made everything weightless (which made crafting anything so much easier in that game seeing as you had supplies of everything), but I never found anything for Dragon Age (beyond a mod which unlocks full backpack space straight away) which was annoying.
    Despicable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mostly APB Reloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Despicable.
    Beastly.

10char

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    On a DS kick as of late -- Etrian Odyssey and Front Mission, mostly. Little Grimoire of the Rift too.

And about 20 mins of X-Com. Best tension simulator ever made!
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Mostly APB Reloaded.
    I want so hard to enjoy that game... It's just too terribad.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Despicable.
    Hey, if people want realistic inventory systems then they're welcome to them. Although, if they truly did they'd demand that their gold weighed them down as well*. Why should my character only be able to carry 100lbs of equipment but have 1,000,000 gold pieces in a wallet somewhere?
    In fact I demand a system where there is no carry limit but instead there are more and more detrimental effects as you get heavier, reaching a point where you can't move or attack and in fact topple over onto your back like an upsidedown turtle. Also, carry too much for too long and you start to develop back problems

For me, gaming is all about maximizing my fun.

(*I'm aware D&D 1st edition gave gold weight so you probably do put up with shit like this on a regular basis. But you do tend to be the exception to things)

In fact I demand a system where there is no carry limit but instead there are more and more detrimental effects as you get heavier, reaching a point where you can't move or attack and in fact topple over onto your back like an upsidedown turtle. Also, carry too much for too long and you start to develop back problems
    In other words, Nethack.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Beastly.

10char
    No, Savage.

I love this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Platinum coins? Gems?
    But seriously I want realistic economics in my RPG's I want to show up at a village with 1,000 gold and find I've screwed up the economy up so bad that my gold is worth less than a days food.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    (*I'm aware D&D 1st edition gave gold weight so you probably do put up with shit like this on a regular basis. But you do tend to be the exception to things)
    Nice fact checking. I was going to mention the Gold Box games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Platinum coins? Gems?
    But seriously I want realistic economics in my RPG's I want to show up at a village with 1,000 gold and find I've screwed up the economy up so bad that my gold is worth less than a days food.
    In my campaigns under 2nd edition we always gave gold weight. It tended to be stowed in various places, or converted into gems, so players could easily cart it around. Really, though in a high magic setting wouldn't it make sense to have some kind of magical equivalent of electronic banking?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Platinum coins? Gems?
    Dragon Age and Spellforce had proper currency systems, where 10,000 copper = 100 silver = 1 gold (I think), which kind of gets around the problem, except you inevitably end up with thousands of copper pieces because banks are things that happen to other people.
    I would love to be able to screw over an economy by reintroducing written-off wealth back into it (ie. money lost down dungeons etc). If I had my way Ferelden, Skyrim, Tamriel etc would all be like 1990s Italy (or Zimbabwe) after I've been there a few weeks. Remember those hero titles you could buy in Fable? I want my one to be the Actuary Assassin.

Nice fact checking. I was going to mention the Gold Box games.
    I heard somewhere that for that era D&D gold pieces are actually the unit of weight as well, is this right? That is, rather than being told you can hold 100 pounds you are told you can carry 1000 gold pieces, and a sword, say, will have a weight of 50 gold pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Really, though in a high magic setting wouldn't it make sense to have some kind of magical equivalent of electronic banking?
    You could always have the Deposidactyl swoop down and get it for you.

Activated Node
    Playing some Bastion and Brink. Already getting a little tired of Bastion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I heard somewhere that for that era D&D gold pieces are actually the unit of weight as well, is this right? That is, rather than being told you can hold 100 pounds you are told you can carry 1000 gold pieces, and a sword, say, will have a weight of 50 gold pieces.
    Pool of Radiance had copper, silver, electrum, gold and platinum coins. If I remember correctly:

1000 copper coins = 100 silver coins = 10 electrum coins = 5 gold coins = 1 platinum coin.

The weight of a gold piece could be used as the standard weight measurement, but I believe it's understood that a piece of gold was 0.1 lb.

In Pool of Radiance you could buy expensive jewels and figurines in town just to keep your encumbrance down. Keeping coins to a minimum was very important because high encumbrance meant less movement points in combat.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 20-01-2012 at 10:49 PM.