Page 15 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725651155151015 ... LastLast
    Finally got myself a star rating in Mario Kart Wii! I think I could push on to two stars, but I don't think I can be bothered.

Currently playing Witcher 2 (@ the beginning of Chapter 3) and Mario Galaxy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raddevon View Post
    I'm on a mini-vacation at the moment and staying a single night at a hotel. I installed Splinter Cell: Conviction on my Macbook with the idea I would finally start it. Did you guys know Ubi still hasn't patched out their DRM? That games probably a year old at this point. It's unplayable on the hotel's Internet. Every half-second, I'm getting the stupid message that it's lost connectivity to their servers.

Instead, I've been seriously enjoying Avadon on my iPad. The game is pretty much perfect on the platform. Besides that, it seems to be a really good game regardless of platform.
    That's a shame, its sad you couldn't download an alternative executable which didn't have the DRM. Yunno, hypothetically.

I'll admit that the DRM has given me no bother and with the exception of a lack of server a browser (match making and friendlist joining only) I've respected most of the selections made by the developers, the lack of a server browser is horrible though. The last known position system leaves the guards a little gullible but to be honest I miss the whistle button from chaos theory (you can still whistle with the camera so they likely cut the feature to fit a controller).

Network Hub
    I finally finished LA Noire last night (yes, I know...) and would heartily recommend it to any other console heathens amongst you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Sector View Post
    And since i mentioned all these, i think i might play a bit of the game :-P.
    The two of you have got me feeling the urge now, particularly since there's a new engine out that looks really tasty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I played about 4 hours of Fate Of The World. I think it's amazing. I was always fascinated by how the world works and futurology, and FOTW is an excellent simulation. The interface is a bit obscure - it basically needs to work exactly like Civ's tech tree, but instead it just gives vague hints at very general unlockable options.
    With a bit of common sense and knowledge of the world's current situation, the game is manageable. It needs stuff like migration or a better economic model (price influence especially), but it's very fun and interesting as it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    No internet on my PC, but I've been going through FEAR which I downloaded on Steam. The story is shit, BUT, the gameplay. Man, the gameplay. So satisfying is it to slow slow-mo and shoot people into lots-o-chunks with a shotgun. Hours of this. It's still fun. It's still so satisfying. My lord.

Peggle, its the free android app today from Amazon and it's as addicting as ever.

@SirKicksalot: I am ashamed to admit that I haven't managed to beat the very first mission, although I have tried several times. There must be something that I did not get right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    @SirKicksalot: I am ashamed to admit that I haven't managed to beat the very first mission, although I have tried several times. There must be something that I did not get right.
    The trick with "Rise of Africa" is to completely ignore the environment, funnily enough. Carefully examine the win/loss conditions and you'll realize that all you really have to do is focus on social welfare in both African zones for the duration of the scenario.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I've been listening to the Idlethumbs video game podcast archive and suddenly had a urge to revisit Farcry 2 after listening to all their raving about it the early episodes. When I'd first played it through, it was on a much older rig where I was able to play it functionally fine but at medium to lower settings graphically. This let me enjoy the gameplay elements and get a taste of the graphics, but never appreciate the truly magnificent visual narrative that game has. This week, on my newer DX11 PC rig with all settings on ultra super boffo at widescreen 1920x it's literally blowing my mind how amazing this game is. Most of the old annoyances are still there: the checkpoint respawning is still tedious, the NPC dialog is stiff, rushed and so spat out it's comical, but I find myself not caring as much as I did previously. If ever there was an argument for visuals overcoming a games shortcomings, Farcry 2 should be the opening salvo.

Just sitting at my PC for 45 minutes watching a sunrise or sunset is something I've never done, ever till now. I love the way heat distortion from muzzle temperature can obscure vision down iron sights briefly. I love the sudden appearance of a gazelle in my path so real looking I stop startled and stare in wonder - forgetting whatever I was supposed to be doing. I love the wind brushing against the grass and leaves in the trees in imperfect synchronization like eddies and swirls, the way a small brush fire snakes across the terrain. The way a gunfight now feels so tense, so scary with bullets whining off the metal of a rusted car fender I'm hiding behind. These are all just a few little things that I'm suddenly finding brand new about this game.

Other changes this play through is doing it on hardcore, which makes things a lot more tense as ammo is more scarce and baddies spot and try to flank you faster. I did add a mod that slows down gun degradation by a factor of 3 or 4 which compensates for some of the annoyance that brought me first time though. Now I can get off about 250 rounds off with a scavenged gun before it self destructs instead of 75 or so with constant jams. I also printed out a sweet map of all the diamonds to reference, and I'm finding that actually hunting them down is a very fun way to spend time between missions. With my map on my desk, pausing to crossing off little dots, and my almost identical map in-game, which creates little diamonds as I collect them is an odd juxtaposition of simultaneous life and game.

Oh and I also got both females as buddies randomly, which is good karma IMHO :) I love chicks with guns. So that's what I'm playing this week!

This week I have reset my Borderlands Zombie Island PT2 using Willowtree so I'm getting a fully scaled experience this time around. Bloody love that DLC. I am getting my arse handed to me though after rigging it up to emulate four player difficulty even though I'm ridin' solo!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dungeon Siege III -- Which I'm really enjoying. It's not a diablo-clone, it's an RPG take on the beat-em-up.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    No internet on my PC, but I've been going through FEAR which I downloaded on Steam. The story is shit, BUT, the gameplay. Man, the gameplay. So satisfying is it to slow slow-mo and shoot people into lots-o-chunks with a shotgun. Hours of this. It's still fun. It's still so satisfying. My lord.
    I don't know about the sequels, but FEAR had some wonderfully chunky weaponry which made the gunplay truly satisfying. The HV Penetrator was my favourite as I recall. For some reason satisfying weaponry seems to be becoming more and more rare in modern FPS games. Even in Rage the SMG sounds like an overdriven dildo, although at least id still know how to do a shotgun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'll let you know how the weapons progress as I move onto FEAR 2! I've since completed FEAR and have moved on to the first expansion, Extraction Point. At the rate I'm going through, I can see me having completed at least both the expansions and maybe a bit of FEAR 2 before my PC gets internet back. That being said, EP is considerably harder on the same highest difficulty. I'm blaming that however on the bizarre fact that I can't set my resolution as high as on the base game.

At that time of writing, FEAR wasn't really going anywhere and the few things that did I mostly predicted. That being said, for atmosphere alone, the last two Intervals are pretty damn good. Not inherently scary, but I'll happily admit I got a few jumps. Put a few extra rounds into things. I have to agree, fewer games have satisfying guns. When I was playing through Crysis/Warhead, I found the weaponry in that pretty satisfying...damn shame. FEAR's satisfying is slow-mo leaning with a shotgun and blasting an enemy into chunks. Then when you've come out of slow-mo after dispatching a room, reload while taking in the concrete that's fallen off the walls.

The only thing I don't like gameplay wise in FEAR so far is that you have these cool melee animations, but it's near suicide to run up and kick someone in the face on the hardest difficulty. The closest I've got is jump-kicking a window and landing on the other side to avoid fire. Still cool, but not quite the same.

Basically, I recommend FEAR. Man, if only they'd made a Matrix game instead...
    Last edited by The JG Man; 22-06-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Me and a couple of my friends started playing Time Splitters for the first time in many years. It's as fun as ever, but I think for entirely different reasons. They really just don't make games like this these days.

Civilization IV ate a lot of my time lately, and is starting to wear me down as soon as I stumble in the modern periods. Anyone here can recommend me some good mods? Or are the expansions (colonization, beyond the sword and a third one I forgot the name of) worthwhile?

Apart from it, I started playing Divine Divinity again, which I never really played to begin with. Good times, but a bit unbalanced sometimes. I struggle to make money mostly, and can't seem to find enough health potions. Guess alchemy will save me (?)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Really enjoying the Age of Empires Online beta. Like many I was a bit reticent about the new art style, but its won me over big time. The first dozen or so missions are rather naff, posing little challenge, but the strange mix of RTS and loot-MMO styling is paying off. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to all the 'premium' content once it goes free to play, so I can see myself buying a copy - if they get the UK price right.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Olero View Post
    Civilization IV ate a lot of my time lately, and is starting to wear me down as soon as I stumble in the modern periods. Anyone here can recommend me some good mods? Or are the expansions (colonization, beyond the sword and a third one I forgot the name of) worthwhile?
    Beyond the Sword is vital (for the mods if nothing else). Warlods is less so, but you can pick the complete version of hte game up for beer money these days. And Colinization is worth a play too.

mod wise, I can really recommend Legends of Revolution
    . It includes some of the better graphical mods (unique unit graphics for every civ) and BUG/BAT

Fall from Heaven 2 is, of course, also worth checking out. But it's HUGE, and quite daunting at first. But there's a starters guide to get you going.

Network Hub
    Playing Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project after picking it up on a GOG sale. Good times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidorovich View Post
    It's going to be hard to say goodbye to all the 'premium' content once it goes free to play, so I can see myself buying a copy - if they get the UK price right.
    It's called defective by design. When you bought a traditional retail game all they wanted was nice box shots, great reviews to make the sale and a great game to earn the players respect for sequels and expansions.

But playforfree/freetoplay games can't survive on attraction and respect, they need to milk you, sure dlc goes a little this way, I spent very little on mass effect 2 compared to the extra (and relatively insubstantial content) content I bought.

I have my own problems with subscription games, but at least they are honest about the model. its not like these free games call themselves pay2win.