Page 154 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254654 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 22734
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    OK, I should clarify "shit" there because I know what you mean. What I mean is "so bad that I can't enjoy the plot/characters/good stuff about them." In other words, a good adventure game is an adventure game in which the gameplay does not drive me away from the game despite an interest in the plot/characters (as it did in Dreamfall, to site an example of a "bad" adventure game).
    Isn't Dreamfall an action adventure? I never liked those at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Isn't Dreamfall an action adventure? I never liked those at all.
    Well, yes, which is part of the problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, yes, which is part of the problem.
    I see. The problem with adventure games is that they are 99% content and 1% mechanics. Everything you do in an adventure game is born out of content. Using one item with another, using an item with the game world, talking to a character, reading messages, all of those rely purely on content creation. To improve an adventure game you have to redo or add content. You can't really improve the mechanics.

There's not much you can do with that formula.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Helio

So it's a good adventure game? Who knew there was such a thing? I find that in retrospect even the classics I enjoyed as a kid were pretty shit from a gameplay perspective.
    It's like.... Most adventure games are a book/comic (or TV like wizardry says) where you need to guess the subject of the next paragraph before you can read on. Where Gemini Rue is using a gui to tell the TV game shows contestants what to do next and it generally being a sensible right answer, but having no involvement in the act itself.

Essentially Knightmare Noire
    www.knightmare.com/
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    I see. The problem with adventure games is that they are 99% content and 1% mechanics. Everything you do in an adventure game is born out of content. Using one item with another, using an item with the game world, talking to a character, reading messages, all of those rely purely on content creation. To improve an adventure game you have to redo or add content. You can't really improve the mechanics.

There's not much you can do with that formula.
    True, but all I'm asking is that the 1% not be so bad that it kills the other 99%.

@Helio

Well, now you've gone and gotten me to add it to my wishlist. Curse you, sir!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Just beat Donkey Kong Country. Final percentage was 60%. Can't be arsed to go back and find all the bonus rooms; the levels aren't as fun/infinitely replayable as Super Mario World's were, plus the game doesn't tell me which ones I missed. On to Super Mario World 2.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Super Mario World 2.
    Aka Yoshi's island?

I don't know.... Mother 3 looks fun; fun to play; Hell, it even feels fun. But everytime I try to play it on the emulator, I always paused and played something else. Like some wierd force draggimg me away from playing the game. Strange...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Aka Yoshi's island?
    That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I don't know.... Mother 3 looks fun; fun to play; Hell, it even feels fun. But everytime I try to play it on the emulator, I always paused and played something else. Like some wierd force draggimg me away from playing the game. Strange...
    I feel this game with every emulated game I play, and every game I pirate. I don't feel any moral obligation not to do so, I just get bored and move on quickly if I don't actually have the game and I'm not playing on original hardware. That's why I'm playing all these games on my SNES; I've had them on emulators before, but I beat DKC and SMW within days because I just value them more when I'm playing the real thing.

I've been attempting to play Brink, but with little success. The game has crashed to desktop without fail, every single time I've run it; and when it does run, the performance is awful. I've trawled forums looking for fixes but none of them have worked. It's a damn shame because it looks like a game I really would have enjoyed. I can't say I wasn't warned though.

I've started Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Mouse controls are totally screwed compared to AC2, which is disappointing. A fix for it eludes me so I've just had to manually increase the DPI on my mouse.

Single player is solid so far, but it's the multiplayer which really has my attention, it's absolutely terrifying (in a good way). I've enjoyed a handful of games now and my mood constantly alternates between joyous (at making a stealthy kill) and petrified (every time I hear the whispers of my potential killer).

It does seem a tad simple at times though, what with the infallible compass pointing towards your targets. I've been watching some AC:Revelations multiplayer videos and it seems better implemented there, with more emphasis on observation rather than blindly following the compass.

However Brotherhood's MP also serves as another reminder as to why I fucking hate unlocks in multiplayer games. I still wonder what kind of an idiot designs a system which handicaps new players by rewarding more experienced players with more varied and better equipment.

Also still playing Bejeweled 3, which is delightfully addictive.

I would pay good money to buy a copy of Ass Rev where there is no leveling at all. By all means have 200 achievements but don't lock items away. In other but identical news, Battlefield Bad Company 2 is a beautiful game. But dying to a level 55 sniper, and then being team killed by his clanmate who flys away in the teams helicopter pissed me off something rotten.

It's like it's "be a dick-the game", I have no grenades, crap guns, no scopes, no special equipment and because I'm not a cheating turd in a clan I'm going to end up with an 1-8 kdr, but the last laugh is mine, when I get in that helicopter later I'm a freaking savant. I patently line targets for my gunner, dodge incoming fire, and only pop off my own rockets because I was coincidentally lined up. When I finally get damaged I ditch in a small village (I know bad company 2 has magic parachutes but I forgot) rub around the village, hose 3 snipers with my pee shooter, and capture the point.

Hurrah... Fecking unlocks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Really enjoying UFO: Afterlight. It's like a turn-based Dune 2 with elements of X-Com and, err, Space Colony?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Just beat Donkey Kong Country. Final percentage was 60%. Can't be arsed to go back and find all the bonus rooms; the levels aren't as fun/infinitely replayable as Super Mario World's were, plus the game doesn't tell me which ones I missed. On to Super Mario World 2.
    Your exploration into the games of yore is always interesting to come back to and it helps that the SNES had such a stellar array of great titles. If it helps, I don't believe my completion in DKC was that much higher. I always remember a room in one of the last levels (the last one?) with a secret that I got into once by mistake and spent a whole afternoon trying to get into and subsequently not. Still, a good game, but I'd agree not as good as SMW.

As for Yoshi's Island...man, you are in for one hell of a treat. I didn't play it as much as 1, but it was an absolute blast. There was only one bad thing in it from what I can remember and even then, it's kind of important; wahhh, wahhh, waahhhh, wahhh, wahhh, wahhh. It WILL haunt your dreams, to an extent matched only by the Sonic drowning theme.

Anyhow, in my own land, I've been playing Star Trek: Online in what time I've had to play games. It's...good. Not great, at least not as an overall package. Things of it are great, such as the space combat and general feeling of being in a very large space, but the ground combat is pretty dire and seeing as how you can't change the difficulty on the fly as to make space combat hard and ground combat easy, I'm stuck enjoying the challenge of one and hating the frustration of the other. Despite that, I'm having fun and I can see me enjoying it for some time. It helps that I have big ships fly by every so often making me go "God damn, I need a Galaxy class!" Though, I do question some people's tastes as they have horrible looking ships, but hey ho.