Page 158 of 1236 FirstFirst ... 581081481561571581591601682082586581158 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 24718
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I was in the mood to play through older Looking Glass titles last week.

I've finished Ultima Underworld for the first time now, or at least the first time I remember it. It's one of those games, much like Terranigma, that I always come back to at some point but that always make me stop for one reason or another before I finally see the ending.
    While the game is certainly excellent, there is a very distinct deterioration in level design quality in the last couple of levels that is in stark contrast to what you have been presented with right from the start. Tunnels become smaller and more twisted, and the gimmick on level 7 makes mages barely playable. I went through the game with a 15 strength paladin, which I knew was a bad choice, but I prevailed by lots of backtracking for loot and ultimately having to abandon my armor completely. Thankfully many of the issues are fixed in the sequel, but it still keeps a couple of quirks of its own (what were they thinking designing the Pits).

Secondly, and more importantly, I've played and finished the original System Shock. I've tried to get into it over the years, but always abandoned it a bit into the first deck due to its strange and convoluted controls. This wasn't helped by the fact that I was only playing the floppy version, which as it turns out is incredibly inferior to what was released on CD. For all these years I thought the game proper was its crippled, prematurely released version!
    Now, with higher resolution settings and voiced logs and emails, the experience was much closer to what I was used to from System Shock 2, and the always strange controls were ultimately not as much of a hurdle as I thought.
    It is great experience, and it does make me dream of a different present in which developers followed its path towards greater and more engaging complexity in first-person shooters, and games like E.Y.E. would be commonplace instead of looking like artifacts of times past.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Now, with higher resolution settings and voiced logs and emails, the experience was much closer to what I was used to from System Shock 2, and the always strange controls were ultimately not as much of a hurdle as I thought. .
    I believe there's a mouselook mod. Also
    Terranigma
    What happened to "Romancing Saga 3 is the only good JRPG?"

Terranigma is an action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    However, I felt the game dragged on a bit after arriving at Baldur's Gate itself. I actually reached that point a couple of months ago, but couldn't bring myself to finish until tonight. Not sure exactly what it was, but I guess I missed the wilderness exploration.
    And that last boss was a tough one. Took a couple hours of attempts to beat.
    Exactly the same happened to me. Soon as I'd reached BG itself I got bored and dropped it, then went back later to play it out. Being my first foray into olde cRPG territory, the combat was infuriating for the most part and I just wanted to see the story (but wouldn't let myself drop the difficulty below normal). I was in Durlag's Tower before i'd started to flesh my characters out a bit and work out how to cheese my way through battles, though i flat out gave up on the chess part and scuppered off to wrap things up. I'm sure I missed stuff out, but what I saw wasn't blowing my skirt up the way i'd hoped, with no really corking gear to speak of, every dungeon just a forever-winding 2-tile wide maze and the repeating shout spam by the NPCs, both friendly and enemy started to chafe on my lobes after a while.

Undeterred I moved on to Icewind Dale and absolutely freaking loved it. Granted by now i'd grasped the mechanics a little better, but it's far superior combat, locations, monster variety, gear, complex dungeons and the fact you can customise up to 6 party members from scratch was compelling. I may get inter-stoned for it, but by the (maze-like 2-tile wide) sewers I just wanted BG to sodding end so I could try one of the newer ones.

Terranigma is an action game.
    So are Tales of Symphonia, Star Ocean, and Kingdom Hearts. It's ok, you can be wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    Things
    I finished a full BGT playthrough a few months back and likewise was burnt out by the time I reached the city itself. I ended up firing up an FAQ so I knew exactly where to go for all the sidequests so as not to waste time. To be fair to the game there really isn't much left of the main quest once you make it to BG - it's just those sidequests that add the hours on.
    Moving on to BG2 though was a breath of fresh air and I went through all of that and ToB in no time at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    Undeterred I moved on to Icewind Dale and absolutely freaking loved it. Granted by now i'd grasped the mechanics a little better, but it's far superior combat, locations, monster variety, gear, complex dungeons and the fact you can customise up to 6 party members from scratch was compelling. I may get inter-stoned for it, but by the (maze-like 2-tile wide) sewers I just wanted BG to sodding end so I could try one of the newer ones.
    Better combat? In Icewind Dale? No chance. Encounters sucked massively in Icewind Dale. You enter a dungeon full of giants and fight nothing but giants until the end. You enter a dungeon full of orcs and you fight nothing but orcs until the end. Monster variety? Again no. Baldur's Gate had more enemies in than Icewind Dale as far as I'm aware. Also you can create all 6 characters in Baldur's Gate so I don't see what the problem is.

Tried Super Meat Boy after having left it alone for a couple of weeks, and I immediately remembered why I stopped playing it. Once you get to world 5 the difficulty prohibits fun.

Luckily, I just received my copy of "Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril" in the mail, and played it through the first boss so far. It's very well done for an NES game. It's also pretty difficult, with one-hit kills, but it's not unfairly so. That's what I also thought of SMB at first as well, so take that with a grain of salt.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=86

I'm also still playing Geneforge and The Longest Journey.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    So are Tales of Symphonia, Star Ocean, and Kingdom Hearts. It's ok, you can be wrong.
    No, trust me. I am very cultured.

No, trust me. I am very cultured.
    Like a good yoghurt.

I've not had the time to play much; I started the main campaign in Rome: TW after playing around in the tutorial, I started a OOC game in Civ IV but have got a position where I know I'll win so I'm probably not going to finish it. I filled in a little time with Dungeons of Dredmor as well I think but nothing of any note.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Better combat? In Icewind Dale? No chance. Encounters sucked massively in Icewind Dale. You enter a dungeon full of giants and fight nothing but giants until the end. You enter a dungeon full of orcs and you fight nothing but orcs until the end. Monster variety? Again no. Baldur's Gate had more enemies in than Icewind Dale as far as I'm aware. Also you can create all 6 characters in Baldur's Gate so I don't see what the problem is.
    You've just hit on the problem I've always had with IWD but never been able to put into words: apart from some of the areas at the very end the enemies are usually very homogeneous. That's not to say the encounters are bad so much as different - they are often presented in a more scripted way than they were in BG1 (eg. things appearing around you, more diverse makeup of enemy classes). But often the areas do start to drag (fuck you Dragon's Eye and Severed Hand) because there's only so many times you can fight the same battle setup.

The problem with creating all the character youself in a BG game is that it feels like you're missing out on something. Unless you really couldn't care less about the story or characters anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    "At first" nothing, you'll be dying fairly often all the way through if you're anything like me. Then again, being under substantial constant threat is half the fun.
    The more time I spend with EO, the more I realize you're right. I love it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I am going to find the man who designed the last level of Jamestown, cut off all his fingers and rip out his fucking eyeballs.
    You can totally beat it. Be attitude for gains, yo.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    The problem with creating all the character youself in a BG game is that it feels like you're missing out on something. Unless you really couldn't care less about the story or characters anyway.
    Yeah but you'll miss out on the things Icewind Dale doesn't have anyway. So if you prefer the Icewind Dale approach of making your whole party then you'll prefer doing the same in Baldur's Gate, surely. I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Yeah but you'll miss out on the things Icewind Dale doesn't have anyway. So if you prefer the Icewind Dale approach of making your whole party then you'll prefer doing the same in Baldur's Gate, surely. I know I do.
    It's one thing to miss out on something that doesn't exist, and another to voluntarily miss out on that something when it does.
    Making all your party members in BG1 is also a tricky thing to do in terms of balance. You could have 6 characters by the Friendly Arm Inn but it would be a pretty poor party and would stay like that for a while even if you have plans to, eg., head to Beregost for Branwen, go to Nashkel for Minsc then save Dynaheir etc. Making your own allstar team from the Inn onwards could break the early game. IWD is far better balanced when it comes to allowing player freedom in my experience.

I have been playing a lot of Battle of Wesnoth the last few days. Quite a fun hex rts which is open source and free and all that jazz. I do recommend it

Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    I have been playing a lot of Battle of Wesnoth the last few days. Quite a fun hex rts which is open source and free and all that jazz. I do recommend it
    I've never heard of this game before, but have seen it referenced twice today. Looks kind of interesting. Isn't it a TBS?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I've never heard of this game before, but have seen it referenced twice today. Looks kind of interesting. Isn't it a TBS?
    Yes it is :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's one thing to miss out on something that doesn't exist, and another to voluntarily miss out on that something when it does.
    Miss out on what exactly? It's not like Baldur's Gate is full of companion quests and banter like its sequel.

Making all your party members in BG1 is also a tricky thing to do in terms of balance. You could have 6 characters by the Friendly Arm Inn but it would be a pretty poor party and would stay like that for a while even if you have plans to, eg., head to Beregost for Branwen, go to Nashkel for Minsc then save Dynaheir etc. Making your own allstar team from the Inn onwards could break the early game. IWD is far better balanced when it comes to allowing player freedom in my experience.
    Well, I'm not so sure about this. I tend to play through Icewind Dale with only two characters these days.

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    You can totally beat it. Be attitude for gains, yo.
    I did it. Took me two straight hours of memorization, but I beat that fucker.

If anyone did all those challenges in Jamestown... Hats off to you. Unless I find a co-op buddy, I don't think I'll be playing this game anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    So I finished Septerra Core and now I am playing Jack Orlando. Played it ages ago but never finished so I guess it's about time.