Page 165 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 651151551631641651661671752152656651165 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 24104
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It's my fault for playing on hard but Battlefield bad company 2 singleplayer is proving to be a slog at times. If I carry both the auto shotgun for room clearing and a ranged rifle for ranged fights it means no rocket launcher.

I really ought to go back to medium
    LMGs for everything! But then, I do that in multiplayer, too.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptoshrimp View Post
    Quick edit: Does anyone have a recommendation for a good base-building game?
    Stronghold. Stronghold: Crusader.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Supreme Commander perhaps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Still playing lots of Close Combat: The Longest Day. Securing the Uncle Red sector of Utah beach was a bloody affair, but I managed to cut off German reinforcements with the 502 and 506 which made the advance through the hedgerows much easier. Actually getting to Carentan is going to be another matter entirely, though, and I'm somewhat unexpectedly stalled trying to get across the creek at Le Port Brehay as well. I've made three advances across the fucking thing and been thrown back with significant casualties each time, it's turning into a real meat grinder.

Damn I love these games.

Still setting up for, but still haven't really started, my New Vegas playthrough. I think I'm completely happy with my mod loadout now (Project Nevada, an additional encounters mod, the Corvega mod) so it's just a matter of finding some time to put into it. It's much easier to find 15 minutes here and there for Close Combat, of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Finished Bad company 2, was fun but I don't know I'd recommend it.

Now just to decide whether or not to invest in the multiplayer, its a lot of grinding.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 08-02-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I'm playing Call of Pripyat. Never got past Yaton before, but now I've got an itch to see the titular development.

Considering grabbing Outcast from GOG. I've only ever played 20 or so minutes of it before, but I've been hearing good things recently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Now just to decide whether or not to invest in the multiplayer, its a lot of grinding.
    There's no grinding in multiplayer you enjoy. I have a halfway stocked League of Legends account simply because I enjoyed the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    There's no grinding in multiplayer you enjoy. I have a halfway stocked League of Legends account simply because I enjoyed the game.
    Logically you are right, but playing for equipment is not the same thing as playing for fun. If I play for fun I accept I will never be good at these things because the pro equipment is locked away and just do what I can. But this means I'll be waiting longer for the equipment which would enable a touch more fun eventually .

Or just play another game without unlocks I can enjoy immediately like Natural Selection 2.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, so many! (Note: each link takes you to where you can buy the game for ~$10. There are excellent games you can get for more money, but $10 seems like a good limit for a casual recommendation).

If you mean base-building in a combat-centric RTS, then Rise of Nations: Gold is an excellent choice, as each match has you building multiple cities for different purposes, with a variety of buildings. Stronghold Crusader, as mentioned, is also great.

On the more managerial side, Evil Genius has you literally base-building, as you create and manage a base as a super-villain with 1960s flair.

If you want a complex game of city management, then Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, Dawn of Discovery: Gold, and Settlers 7 are all fantastic, and different, takes on the genre. Settlers 7 is a fast game of "logistics strategy," while Dawn of Discovery is an epic game of slowly building up a population supported by multiple complex supply chains. Emperor sits somewhere in the middle.

@Giaddon

Do you know of a means by which to get Evil Genius running in proper widescreen resolutions? My every attempt to play it has been thwarted by my nigh allergic reaction to stretched aspect ratios.

Oh, and I'll second that Rise of Nations recommendation, still my favorite "traditional" base building RTS by a wide margin.

Finished Bad company 2, was fun but I don't know I'd recommend it.

No need. BF3 is out. BC2 still has a dedicated MP fanbase (especially with Vietnam) but if you wanna achieve some sort of parity, BF3 is king.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I do not! I found this GOG forum post with some tips. I set my video card to not stretch non-widescreen resolutions, so I get black bars on either side instead. That may be less maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    I do not! I found this GOG forum post with some tips. I set my video card to not stretch non-widescreen resolutions, so I get black bars on either side instead. That may be less maddening.
    My monitor won't play along with my video card on that kind of entirely sensible scaling. I'll give the res changer in that link a try, though. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    No need. BF3 is out. BC2 still has a dedicated MP fanbase (especially with Vietnam) but if you wanna achieve some sort of parity, BF3 is king.
    Games don't just become obsolete when the new one comes out. I prefer the color and visual clarity of BC2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Games don't just become obsolete when the new one comes out. I prefer the color and visual clarity of BC2.
    I agree with that - esp in an age where games are just getting visually busier and busier.

I've been flogging BulletStorm - a game I never really got into despite some attempts before - and I think one of the main reasons is that the game is a visual explosion of stuff in bright colours, tonnes of scenery details and other stuff which, frankly, makes it hard to see what the hell you're doing a lot of the time.

If I were to go back to "The Club" - the game it most closely resembles - I'd find a game pared-down graphically to ensure it's raison-d-etre (highscore finding through combos etc.) works well - I prefer that, tbh.

Bulletstorm just gives me a headache - it's like a kaleidoscope with some shooting added - even when I sorted out it's settings to get a decent 60fps it still just jars, visually, to the point I just want to give-up on it.

Multiplayer games do, especially in series with annual releases.

You need other players to fight against, and in a game that attempts to have a rank grind like the BF and CoD series, you're at a disadvantage if you don't rise along with the greater group.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Multiplayer games do, especially in series with annual releases.

You need other players to fight against, and in a game that attempts to have a rank grind like the BF and CoD series, you're at a disadvantage if you don't rise along with the greater group.
    Unless I don't give a shit about rank, and I just play it to have fun every now and then.

Unless I don't give a shit about rank, and I just play it to have fun every now and then.
    You will give a shit when you get your ass shot off by people with equipment you haven't unlocked.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

You will give a shit when you get your ass shot off by people with equipment you haven't unlocked.
    I've played both games. I really don't. Flying a copter with my friends>giving a shit.

I've played both games. I really don't. Flying a copter with my friends>giving a shit.
    Word. ​aaaa