Page 167 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 671171571651661671681691772172676671167 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 23793
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You need other players to fight against, and in a game that attempts to have a rank grind like the BF and CoD series, you're at a disadvantage if you don't rise along with the greater group.
    Thing is, a LOT of people have their own group of friends to play with and don't need to chase the 'latest bestest thing'.

If you're very much a solo player who chases opposition, then you need to play the latest thing for sure - but there's plenty of people keep wringing fun out of older games.

No better possible example of this is with Counterstrike really...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    No better possible example of this is with Counterstrike really...
    CS is not a game with an annual release schedule.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The only advice I can give you is "Don't play hardcore." It's been a month or two since I played BC2 though... Might be hard to find a populous server without it.
    Nah. I usually manage to find one, at least, even without filtering out the Hardcore servers. And, I remember the time I tried out a Hardcore server in Squad Deathmatch mode. I can take the no crosshairs and a few shots to kill me thing, but what's the fun in that if I can't find a Medic in my team to get myself fixed up while I'm just running around with Vaseline smeared onto my screen?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Nah. I usually manage to find one, at least, even without filtering out the Hardcore servers. And, I remember the time I tried out a Hardcore server in Squad Deathmatch mode. I can take the no crosshairs and a few shots to kill me thing, but what's the fun in that if I can't find a Medic in my team to get myself fixed up while I'm just running around with Vaseline smeared onto my screen?
    What's the fun if your own team mows you down if you so much as hit them with a stray bullet?

Beat Super Mario Land. I spent 10 minutes farming lives and then beat it on my first try. Wonderful game, but that last level is a total bitch.

Played a bit more Shadowgrounds... I keep comparing it to Zombie Shooter, and at the end of the day I prefer that game simply because it's so simple and stripped down. Shadowgrounds is too ambitious for its own good; the story is tacked-on and terrible. Yeah, full voiceovers, upgrade system, full 3D and dynamic lighting, but it's still a game about shooting monsters, and that's all I really want to do. Zombie Shooter is just gleefully stupid fun.

Also, the save system sucks in Shadowgrounds. I can't compare it to Zombie Shooter, because I beat that game in one sitting, but when I can't even sit through a half-hour mission to get to the save point you know there's a problem.

Picked up Space Marine for $6.76 or so from THQ Spain earlier in the week. I can easily see why people criticize it for its repetition, and I usually hate repetitive games myself, but for some reason, I don't begrudge Space Marine for it. It is repetitive, but it's also satisfying and surprisingly challenging. However, I am disappointed with how bland the story and characters are so far, especially when Relic showed that they could write with Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising (if you ask me).

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    What's the fun if your own team mows you down if you so much as hit them with a stray bullet?
    I take that we both agree that Hardcore mode suck, whatever server it's in

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Hmm, so I finished the MArine campaign in AvP3 and started the Alien and Predator campaigns and now see why everyone hates that game. Both the Alien's and the Predator's controls are horrendous compared to how fluidly they controlled in AvP2. You can really tell that it was a game designed for consoles when, as an alien, you have to push a whole seperate button just to crawl through a hole in a vent rather than, you know, just crawling through the hole using the WASD keys like you would normally to get around--or, as the predator, you can only jump to certain designated spots rather than allowing free movement. Plus, it seems like all kills for both species are done via animated quicktime events which are a bitch to trigger. You have to be standing in exactly the right spot next to an enemy to trigger them and then the animations take so long that you are killed by other enemies before they complete. Kind of sucks. Especially considering how awesome, fast, fluid, and lethal it was to play as the Alien in AvP2 once you got good at it. I used to kick ass as the Alien in AvP2 multiplayer back in the day, so this is kind of a disappointment (I have a few fond memories of eliminating entire teams of marines in seconds single handedly, crawling around the walls in the dark and using the head bite for instant kills......ah memories).

But still, I guess the Marine campaign alone was at least worth the 2 dollars I paid for the game when it was on sale. I'd be super pissed if I paid 50 dollars for this on release, though.....or even the 20 dollar retail price they are asking for it now.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 10-02-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    Picked up Space Marine for $6.76 or so from THQ Spain earlier in the week. I can easily see why people criticize it for its repetition, and I usually hate repetitive games myself, but for some reason, I don't begrudge Space Marine for it. It is repetitive, but it's also satisfying and surprisingly challenging. However, I am disappointed with how bland the story and characters are so far, especially when Relic showed that they could write with Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising (if you ask me).
    Oh, you've still got hours to go, it'll get you.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Playing Psychonauts and am currently shooting diseased rats and following some weird rotund monster. Thing is I got stuck in the Camp Grounds after I used the bacon twice while there, anyone know how I can get back where I left at Thorney Towers?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I seem to recall there was a way to call Linda to the beach to transport you there, but it's been ages since I last played Psychonauts.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Oh, you've still got hours to go, it'll get you.
    :( How about if I try and play it in short spurts instead?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Rauten, thanks, it's been long since I last played it, I had forgotten all about the lungfish.
    Last edited by Shane; 10-02-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    :( How about if I try and play it in short spurts instead?
    That's what I did. I played it over the course of about 3/4 weeks, and even then it was quite hard going due to the repetition.

Linda was the first character in that game to make me really laugh out loud, but the Milkman was the character who was able to maintain it. Brilliant, brilliant game.

I just went insane and splurged on Dead Island, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Batman:AC, Sonic Generations, and Crysis 2. I also installed Anomaly from the latest Humble Bundle. I have no clue where to start, but I have discovered that Sonic is not to be played drunk.

I also just discovered an excellent PSP/PS3 game called Where Is My Heart that feels like a Nifflas game. It's lovely.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 10-02-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Dead Island, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Batman:AC, Sonic Generations, and Crysis 2 [...] Anomaly
    Vegas 2 is clever but don't play it on hard, and the moment you get dropped down by a helicopter by yourself in a building outside a refinery just switch it off, it gets increasingly stupid from there.
    Batman: AC, if the melee combat and boss battles annoy you, or the scarecrow 2D stealth sections annoy you just know you'll have a whole lot of both before its over.
    Sonic Generations its not as good as sonic 3(and knuckles), but eh, it gets love, it is pretty.
    Crysis 2 and Dead island get alot of haters, but I don't know about either.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I played the first Vegas on the hardest difficulty my first (and only) time through, and I literally played the entire game crouched with a riot shield in the corner, blasting terrorists with my Raging Bull. Surprisingly more fun than that sounds.

I've been delving into my PSP. Dracula X Chronicles is hard as fuck. Syphon Filter proves that FPS controls do not work on the PSP, but it's still fun. I just don't think I'll be buying anything but RPGs and 2D platformers from here on. I was toying with the idea of getting Peace Walker, but now I'm definitely just going to grab the PS3 version. Now, to jailbreak this thing...

Nothing on PC, atm. Looks like it's artifacting again. Again...

So still on the DS with Ghost Trick in Chapter 13 I think. Still a long way to go since (I think) the game ends at dawn

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    KoA: Reckoning. I honestly can't say anything bad about it. The combat is incredible, the art style is really cool and it showers me with rewards and collectibles. Until Diablo 3 launches this is what I'll play for loot-whoring purposes. Another brilliant title from Big Huge Games!

More Space Marine. Just got to the part where you begin fighting Chaos. Bit sooner than I expected -- the stuff I had read about it beforehand seemed to imply that they only come in during the closing chapters of the game. It's gotten quite a bit more large-scale and enjoyable ever since Chaos entered the fray, although killing them isn't particularly different. I will, however, say that the Ork mortar/rocket launcher dudes are some of the most annoying enemies I've fought in a long time. They and they alone make me play the game more like a third person shooter than a hack-and-slash.