Page 17 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927671175171017 ... LastLast
    I'm about to start into Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Also enjoying shooting/healing/stabbing all the new players in my beloved Team Fortress 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I swear Super Gravitron in VVVVVV is a form of gamer crack. Instant respawn, your pathetically low best time in big writing and this amazing music playing on loop. Man, that music would fit perfectly into Wipeout. Why isn't Wipeout on PCs? Sigh.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Playing Baldur's Gate for the first time, after getting it off of GoG. Decided to play through it the first time with not a single mod (not even the widescreen mod) and I am enjoying it quite a lot; though the combat is giving me a lot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    [...] though the combat is giving me a lot of trouble.
    In what regard? As per D&D standard, the first 1-3 levels are very tough because you won't have many options and if you're playing a caster class, you're pretty much doomed to (ab)use hit-and-run tactics. If you mean the guy in front of the Friendly Arm inn, well, it's extremely difficult to defeat him without cheesing and he's probably the single hardest encounter in all of BG1, except for the final battle and a certain someone you meet by the lake.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    the first 1-3 levels are very tough because you won't have many options and if you're playing
    It's this pretty much. I mean I expected it from having played the other D&D games, but it still gets annoying having to constantly quick save and quick load because my characters could die in one hit at any moment; and unlike Temple of Elemental Evils turn based combat, the real time combat doesn't allow me to be too strategic, at least in most of the encounters, though I did have fun luring some very buff flesh golems away from a certain mage, then blinding him and beating his brains out.

Got back into my Planescape save. Luckily I found I didn't have to make the hard decision I'd been putting off because I just lied my way out of it.

I'm such a coward.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I just finished Shogo, its kind of short I guess but also a bit bonkers and a fine example of a shooty game. The credits are worth watching too, whoever was writing them up seems to have gotten bored and started rambling on about the game, very funny.

Most importantly though I haven't really done much since finishing vtmb and this has got me playing again. sometimes you need a bit of good old fashioned mindless shooting to get you back in the game, especially since the last three games I finished have been lengthy rpgs.

I have finished Super Meat Boy last week and made my way through the Dark World. Have arrived in Hell again and I will stop now. Just gets way to hard for me. Also havent finished Cotton Alley. Maybe I will come back later. Anyone who advances further there, my respect! Still a very nice game!

So whats up next... I have yet got to finish Metro 2033 and Planescape:Torment. Also Fate of the World is waiting. Tough decision, will play The Cat and the Coup now first :>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    It's this pretty much. I mean I expected it from having played the other D&D games, but it still gets annoying having to constantly quick save and quick load because my characters could die in one hit at any moment; and unlike Temple of Elemental Evils turn based combat, the real time combat doesn't allow me to be too strategic, at least in most of the encounters, though I did have fun luring some very buff flesh golems away from a certain mage, then blinding him and beating his brains out.
    Fiddle with the autopause settings if you want to make it more turn-based, it'll help a lot once things get more complicated.

And back on topic, I'm not playing much of anything (other than a bit of WoW) while I wait for the parts for my new computer, but once that's done I'll probably go straight to Witcher 1+2.

I'd skip W1 and go straight to 2. It's not as if the rewards you get from importing a save game from the first actual impact on how Assassins of Kings turns out. There was only the odd convo I had in W2 that registered I had played the first game. The sequel is such a stella jump in terms of production values, and that slogging through the opening chapters of W1 might put you off the series. If you really buy into the Witcher's gameworld, you could go back to play the original as a sort of quaint prologue.

Just finished a second play through of Witcher 2. Think I'm going to revisit FarCry2. Seeing the new footage of the third installment got me excited!

Maybe a little Civ5 sprinkled in as well
    Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
    George S. Patton

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    The Witcher: Enchanced Edition

Network Hub
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Still Terraria. My primary character is stuck in a kind of limbo where I've got pretty much all the Meteor-tier gear, but going into the Underworld for Hellstone is still incredibly painful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.
    Care to comment? I'm mid way through assassins creed 1 and I'm getting fatigued down to short sessions, will the later titles hook me more?

Network Hub
    Assassin's Creed 1 got incredibly repetitive with it's 'you must complete X number of minigames before the next actual mission' padding, and I had to force myself to finish the damn thing, especially towards the end when one fight had me an inch away from hurling my gamepad across the room in a fit of fury. And it doesn't help that Altair wasn't hugely likeable.

Assassin's Creed 2, on the other hand, is genuinely great and a pretty solid contender for game-of-the-year status. The combat is tighter, the characters a lot more likeable (or hateable, in the cases of the villains) and pretty much every aspect of the storytelling is hugely improved. The missions flow a lot more smoothly, and there are still plenty of optional side-missions including the Assassin Tombs and Templar Bases (more or less pure athletics, with very little in the way of combat) and Assassination Contracts (the reverse) and delivering mail for fucking Casanova.

TLDR: Creed 2 is a much better and more enjoyable game than Creed 1, but I do recommend finishing the former to understand what's going on with Desmond and the overarching story surrounding the Templar treasure.

AC2 is far better paced and generally varied in what you have to do. I'd say it doesn't fix all the problems of AC1, but it's a better game to play. Your mileage might vary though. Near the end of it I was getting a wee bit bored and just wanted the plot to push forward a little more. That being said, it picks up rather well most of the times you feel it getting a bit boring so it's quite easy to get into. I didn't bother with any of the stupidly numerous collection quests. Hopefully someone else will tell you about AC:B, as I haven't played it yet.

Finished AssCreed: BROS Edition t'other day.

Little bit disappointed in the end. Given the positive word of mouth I was expecting a bit more than a rehash of AssCreed 2 with only a smattering of new features sprinkled on top.

Network Hub
    Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I'm easily pleased, and AC2 does have it's flaws- most of them involving slight niggles with the controls that may or may not end up with Ezio shanking a civilian in the face or leaping bravely off into the abyss, instead of the beam you were aiming towards. But it's much, much improved over 1. There was only one sequence that I outright hated (which was most of the Bonfire of the Vanities DLC), as opposed to the 'oh god just let it end' that was the final third of AC1.

The team behind AC have some great mechanics and a certainly serviceable story (although actual WTFness at the ending of AC2) but I can't help but think they're not actually great at making good games to play. That makes sense, right? I'm not saying the games are bad, but after playing 1 and 2, I feel like they've only been playable because everything has just managed to fall together well by accident in a stroke of magnificent luck. Perhaps that's harsh and there are certainly a lot of worse games, but both AC entries I've played have at time required me to force myself to play them. Granted, 1 a hell of a lot more than 2.

I got AC2 as it was on offer on Steam but I can't bring myself to finish Assassin's Creed first. I'll just read the story on Wikipedia because I began to hate all the stuff you had to do in Assassin's Creed to get to the fun stuff. Which is a shame because when it's good it's brilliant.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.