Page 173 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273673 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 22754
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Any suggestions? Typhoon?
    I've got no personal experience with the Typhoon, but when there was a lot of chatter about DE:HR Typhoon for bosses seemed to be the general consensus.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I got the first boss using fire extinguishers and gas canisters as distractions, the second one went down after three consecutive typhoons, I got the third with three-four shots from the grenade launcher and for the last one, a couple of seconds of laser rifle, which passes through the shields, was enough.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    You're welcome to that opinion, of course, but it's an easy way to dismiss any dissenting opinion in gaming.
    Normally I'd never make a dismissive statement like that, it's just DA2 is so similar to DA:O that I can't understand how anyone could love one and hate the other. Rate-as-less-good, be-disappointed-in or nothing-it sure, but vitriolic hate doesn't make sense. There's a far smaller gap between the two than between ME1 & ME2 or Oblivion and Skyrim.

If someone hated or didn't care about the first then it completely makes sense for them to have the same opinion of the sequel

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Normally I'd never make a dismissive statement like that, it's just DA2 is so similar to DA:O that I can't understand how anyone could love one and hate the other. Rate-as-less-good, be-disappointed-in or nothing-it sure, but vitriolic hate doesn't make sense. There's a far smaller gap between the two than between ME1 & ME2 or Oblivion and Skyrim.
    DA2 has an art-style change, removes most aspects of character customisation (i.e. the races, voices, etc), goes from film-like exaggeration to anime-esque flashing, is shorter and more repetitive than DA:O was and so on.

There's a lot of differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    DA2 has an art-style change, removes most aspects of character customisation (i.e. the races, voices, etc), goes from film-like exaggeration to anime-esque flashing, is shorter and more repetitive than DA:O was and so on.
    The art style has just been given a washed-out look but otherwise looks the same, and I'm not sure what you mean by "film-like exaggeration to anime-esque flashing".
    The character customization is probably the thing people dislike the most, especially the removal of the Origins stories and different races (the PC voices were pointless though). I just can't see how that can be such a massive deal-breaker though: there's already a game which allows for you to play an elf, human or dwarf whose looks can be customized - it's called Dragon Age: Origins. I can never understand people who want essentially the exact same game over and over again like you get with Nintendo or CoD. Look at what Assassins Creed is becoming/has become*.
    But then I'm a bad person to ask as character customization has never been a big thing for me. I'd argue DA2 allows far more customization of character abilities though.

It is shorter than DA:O true but that's largely a consequence of not having the Bioware Hub System (which masks doing the same thing several times by dressing it up differently each time), and I'd argue DA:O is just as repetitive if not more so once you consider the monotony that is the Deep Roads and the extra length resulting from fetch quests or the like.
    To clarify I do prefer Origins overall but think DA2 is also very good in it's own right.

*Assassins Creed 3 scheduled for release later this year btw - not even a year after Revelations.

The art style has just been given a washed-out look but otherwise looks the same
    DA:O - Dark. Grey, brown, green. Realistic.
    DA2 - Brown, red, brown. Cartoony.

and I'm not sure what you mean by "film-like exaggeration to anime-esque flashing".
    DA:O - Exaggerated but not super-realistic animations during combat. Kill moves seemed right.
    DA2 - LOL SMASHY SMASHY SMASHY SWING SWING SWING

The character customization is probably the thing people dislike the most, especially the removal of the Origins stories and different races (the PC voices were pointless though). I just can't see how that can be such a massive deal-breaker though: there's already a game which allows for you to play an elf, human or dwarf whose looks can be customized - it's called Dragon Age: Origins. I can never understand people who want essentially the exact same game over and over again like you get with Nintendo or CoD. Look at what Assassins Creed is becoming/has become*.
    "Oh, you've played DA:O? You want to play something like it? Well... play DA:O again." See the problem? It'd be like if Baldur's Gate 2 only allowed you to play a Human Fighter after the customisation of Baldur's Gate.

It is shorter than DA:O true but that's largely a consequence of not having the Bioware Hub System (which masks doing the same thing several times by dressing it up differently each time), and I'd argue DA:O is just as repetitive if not more so once you consider the monotony that is the Deep Roads and the extra length resulting from fetch quests or the like.
    Yes, DA:O had some back and forth, but areas did change and they didn't reuse quest areas as such. You had the hub(s), but the other locations were generally fairly unique.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Bioware's games are like action movies of the type Michael Bay spawns with the corny dialogues and vain, half-hearted attempts at showing a non-existent depth. Dragon Age 2 showed people that it was possible to take that shit up a notch.

I disagree with your assertion about the AC series. As opposed to DA 2 which was developed in about ten months, AC 3 has been in development for more than three years. Anyway, that publishers release sequels too soon is not wrong in itself as long as those release maintain quality and offer something substantial to fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    As opposed to DA 2 which was developed in about ten months
    Actually, DA2 was closer to the standard two years. Think it was at least 18 months.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Is having a hub a bad idea? I always liked that. Going back to your ship on kotor, where you could talk to your teammates, sometimes do quest, in DAO having relationships between your comrades slowly build up and seeing how your team slowly grows bigger.

DA:O - Dark. Grey, brown, green. Realistic.
    DA2 - Brown, red, brown. Cartoony.
    I guess I never thought about the colour tone. My brain justifies it by thinking of Kirkwall and its environs as a Mediterranean setting to Ferelden's Britain. It's a different climate.
    DA:O - Exaggerated but not super-realistic animations during combat. Kill moves seemed right.
    DA2 - LOL SMASHY SMASHY SMASHY SWING SWING SWING
    They look over-the-top, but I found the Origins ones silly. Origins has so few standard combat animations that it ends up looking dull. BG2 has more. I prefer the more bombastic combat of DA2, especially how rogues can jump towards enemies which actually adds a tactical element.
    "Oh, you've played DA:O? You want to play something like it? Well... play DA:O again." See the problem? It'd be like if Baldur's Gate 2 only allowed you to play a Human Fighter after the customisation of Baldur's Gate.
    It's not a niche genre. Like DA:O, try BG1, BG2, NWN1, NWN2, IWD1, IWD2, Drakensang, ToEE, Ultima etc. There are plenty more things to try so Bioware don't need to churn out more of the same - they can experiment without making fans feel alienated. Now, if Railworks 2012 decided to have trains which can go 400mp/h, back in time and turn on a dime while explosions go off all around, then there's cause for being pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Is having a hub a bad idea? I always liked that. Going back to your ship on kotor, where you could talk to your teammates, sometimes do quest, in DAO having relationships between your comrades slowly build up and seeing how your team slowly grows bigger.
    Ever played Neverwinter Nights? That'll beat hub-love right out of you. It goes like this:
    Act1: Hub with 4-directions + boss fight area
    Act2: Hub with 3-direction + smaller hub with 2-directions + repetitive-ass 8 floor tower with boss fight
    Act3: Hub with 3-direction
    Act4: Hub with 2-directions + endgame area.
    Each 'direction' is just a case of "Go here, find/investigate this". Never again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    To be fair the art changes weren't just colour tone, the Qu'nari were entirely redesigned from being large grey haired chaps, to having big bastard horns sticking out of the top of their heads.

Whatsherface the witch also suffered from bigbastardhornsonyourheadnow syndrome too.

My problem with DA2 was it felt rushed, the storylines and plots tapered out with little warning, consequence was removed from Origins, in favour of having the end result be almsot exactly the same, whatever decisions you make. The companions weren't half as good as Origins, give me Alistair, Shale, hell give me Anders out of Awakenings over these chumps (dwarf bloke was fine, Avelline was pretty decent, the rest were pretty much awful).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

They look over-the-top, but I found the Origins ones silly. Origins has so few standard combat animations that it ends up looking dull. BG2 has more. I prefer the more bombastic combat of DA2, especially how rogues can jump towards enemies which actually adds a tactical element.
    But some people don't. See, that's it - DA2 represented a stylistic change too.

It's not a niche genre. Like DA:O, try BG1, BG2, NWN1, NWN2, IWD1, IWD2, Drakensang, ToEE, Ultima etc. There are plenty more things to try so Bioware don't need to churn out more of the same - they can experiment without making fans feel alienated. Now, if Railworks 2012 decided to have trains which can go 400mp/h, back in time and turn on a dime while explosions go off all around, then there's cause for being pissed.
    You named 7 D&D games, one DSA/TDE game (which had niche appeal, by the way, due to its complexity, availability and so forth) and a franchise that's been reduced to a bunch of classics and an MMO.

Is it a niche market? Right now - yeah, it is. So few studios, at least AAA ones, are putting out games in that vein. It's really only BioWare, Obsidian - a couple of studios, and even then they're moving away from the 90s/00s in terms of gameplay. DA:O's sale figures prove that there's a market for it, but come on, it's a BioWare title and it released across three platforms (later four with Mac).

But DA2? Its sales dropped off really quickly, and it hit low prices quite fast. It did well initially, but with the review controversy from PC Gamer and the months of talk about changes, DA2 just didn't do as well as its predecessor. Why? Because BioWare cocked it up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Now, if Railworks 2012 decided to have trains which can go 400mp/h, back in time and turn on a dime while explosions go off all around, then there's cause for being pissed.
    I take it you missed the Halloween DLC, including zombies and flying trains?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    but with the review controversy from PC Gamer
    What controversy?

Why? Because BioWare cocked it up.

Their games are invariable shitty but DA 2 was saturated with all of the faults that plague their work.

I'mmm not going to win this one am I? Final attempt though.

I think of DA:O as a D&D game because, aside from the mana/stamina system which comes from an MMO, it's the same gameplay. All combat depends on a stat-based ruleset where the player skill has no effect on the outcome (not tactical skill).
    DA:O counts as a niche only if you get very specific in your classifications: realistic, medieval-era, dark fantasy; mana system; party-based; heavily customizable character; non-skill based; single player and lots of non-combat gameplay. You could say God of War is in a niche genre because there is no other 3rd person action-brawler with some puzzle/platforming set in ancient Greece where you control an angry man.

Ultimately I think the game needed another year to be fully polished. Get rid of those quests where you find some shit lying around then hand it to some guy for 50silver. Attempt to tie the majority of side quests into the main quest like the Witcher did - use them to show the atmosphere of fear supposedly prevelant in the city etc. Work better on the conversation wheel prompts. More environments - source the majority of level building out to fans. That sort of thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

If someone hated or didn't care about the first then it completely makes sense for them to have the same opinion of the sequel
    Many people (myself included) liked DA:O as much for what it represented as what it was. Specifically, it looked like (and was billed as) an attempt to build an RPG in the Baldur's Gate model (not a fully successful one, but an attempt). When, instead of refining and improving on that attempt, they went in the opposite direction and made its sequel more like other "modern" RPG's, the result was a genuine feeling of betrayal. What you're reading as hate is a manifestation of disappointment in what DA2 is coupled to a sense of betrayal because of what it could have been, and what the series will apparently never be: a spiritual successor to the Infinity engine games of the late 90's and early 2000's.
    Last edited by vinraith; 16-02-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    but with the review controversy from PC Gamer
    What controversy?
    The controversy where they rated it something like 94 or 96 out of 100.

In tackling the first set of three missions in Mass Effect, it occurred to me that I'd in my earlier attempts I'd never got as far as finding Liara. I'd either go Feros->Noveria or vice-versa, then get bogged down in sidequest obsession and wander off. This time I went to get Liara first and was surprised by how quick it was. Drive a bit, fight about ten Geth and job's a good'un.

In an attempt to whizz through these early bits and get to stuff I've not seen before and hopefully get into it properly this time I've turned down the combat difficulty. This lets me crank up my talky skills, which is good. I like the talking.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    The controversy where they rated it something like 94 or 96 out of 100.
    Incidentally, that's all I knew about the game, so I bought it without hesitation. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Many people (myself included) liked DA:O as much for what it represented as what it was. Specifically, it looked like (and was billed as) an attempt to build an RPG in the Baldur's Gate model (not a fully successful one, but an attempt). When, instead of refining and improving on that attempt, they went in the opposite direction and made its sequel more like other "modern" RPG's, the result was a genuine feeling of betrayal. What you're reading as hate is a manifestation of disappointment in what DA2 is coupled to a sense of betrayal because of what it could have been, and what the series will apparently never be: a spiritual successor to the Infinity engine games of the late 90's and early 2000's.
    I can get how the feeling of betrayal could lead to the anger, and I myself am somewhat disappointed by the game and the untapped potential it has. I found the progression from one game to the other natural though. When Dragon Age was first announced back in 2004 or so it was billed as an updated BG game and I loved the sound of it. But when it resurfaced in its final form years later there was no way you could still think that was the case. Remember the Marilyn Manson, the blood splattering, the sexytimes and the exagerrated grimdarkness that the trailers and dev diaries began to proudly show?

So my brain can easily draw a straight line from BG2 to DA2 with DA:O sitting on that line. The game is as I expected and still closer to DA:O than DA:O was to BG2. I struggle to understand how a BG fan can like DA:O yet a DA:O fan can dislike/hate DA2.