Page 174 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274674 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 22737
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I can get how the feeling of betrayal could lead to the anger, and I myself am somewhat disappointed by the game and the untapped potential it has. I found the progression from one game to the other natural though. When Dragon Age was first announced back in 2004 or so it was billed as an updated BG game and I loved the sound of it. But when it resurfaced in its final form years later there was no way you could still think that was the case. Remember the Marilyn Manson, the blood splattering, the sexytimes and the exagerrated grimdarkness that the trailers and dev diaries began to proudly show?

So my brain can easily draw a straight line from BG2 to DA2 with DA:O sitting on that line. The game is as I expected and still closer to DA:O than DA:O was to BG2. I struggle to understand how a BG fan can like DA:O yet a DA:O fan can dislike/hate DA2.
    The answer there is that the BG fan liked DA:O because of what they thought it was trying to be at least as much, if not moreso, than what it was. Speaking for myself, in the wake of DA2, DA:O has lost a lot of its luster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The answer there is that the BG fan liked DA:O because of what they thought it was trying to be at least as much, if not moreso, than what it was. Speaking for myself, in the wake of DA2, DA:O has lost a lot of its luster.
    I see: it gave you hope that the older ways were going to continue in some fashion. Now that has turned out to not be the case DA:O itself seems like a false prophet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I see: it gave you hope that the older ways were going to continue in some fashion. Now that has turned out to not be the case DA:O itself seems like a false prophet.
    Exactly. (10 chars)

Now, if I back away from expectations and hopes, and evaluate DA:O for what it is, I did still enjoy it (for all its myriad flaws). In reality, I would probably get at least some entertainment out of DA2 as well, and I probably should play it at some point. After all, I enjoyed ME2 (after getting over my disappointment with where THAT series went). Still, that disappointment builds quite a wall, and there's a long list of games demanding my time.
    Last edited by vinraith; 16-02-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    To be fair the art changes weren't just colour tone, the Qu'nari were entirely redesigned from being large grey haired chaps, to having big bastard horns sticking out of the top of their heads.

Whatsherface the witch also suffered from bigbastardhornsonyourheadnow syndrome too.
    It made the Qunari more distinct. Speaking of art direction: Would you prefer DAO Isabela or DA2 Isabela? I also prefer DA2 Flemeth to DAO Flemeth: There's more character there. They no longer looked like every third person you came across.

They look over-the-top, but I found the Origins ones silly. Origins has so few standard combat animations that it ends up looking dull. BG2 has more. I prefer the more bombastic combat of DA2, especially how rogues can jump towards enemies which actually adds a tactical element.
    I find the animations in DA2 to be vastly superior to DAO, after playing a female city elf in DAO. Always, my arms were way far out my sides, making me look like a lanky chimpanzee. It was worse when I was hunched over in "combat mode" because it looked like I had a spine problem. Plus, when I was a human noble with a twohander in DAO, the combat animations made me look like I was fighting in slow motion.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I find the animations in DA2 to be vastly superior to DAO, after playing a female city elf in DAO. Always, my arms were way far out my sides, making me look like a lanky chimpanzee. It was worse when I was hunched over in "combat mode" because it looked like I had a spine problem. Plus, when I was a human noble with a twohander in DAO, the combat animations made me look like I was fighting in slow motion.
    That's because BioWare *massively* cut corners with regards to skeletons. Female Elves and Dwarves drew (no pun intended) the short straws.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It made the Qunari more distinct. Speaking of art direction: Would you prefer DAO Isabela or DA2 Isabela? I also prefer DA2 Flemeth to DAO Flemeth: There's more character there. They no longer looked like every third person you came across.
    There's no subtlety in DA2 Flemeth. DAO Flemeth looked like a peasant, but you knew she was dangerous the moment you met her.

Better animation wouldn't fix some of the horrible DAO models. My dwarf could reach her toes without kneeling.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 16-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Instead of ressurecting that old thread, I'll just mention that I'm NOT playing Cthulhu Saves the World because it decided to stop working. Crashes when the game tries to bring up the main menu - whether I skip the opening cinematic or let it play.
    I was actually kind of sick of the game because of the combat, but thought I'd give it one more chance.

I HAVE been playing Realm of the Mad God, which is really fun and addictive, but I don't know if I either don't understand some of the subtleties of the game, or if there simply aren't any.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Just played Dear Esther (and finished), absolutely wonderful.

I've been playing Lotsa Battlefield 2142 as of late. I forgot how awesome Titan Mode is. I think it's the most rewarding multiplayer experience you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Instead of ressurecting that old thread, I'll just mention that I'm NOT playing Cthulhu Saves the World because it decided to stop working. Crashes when the game tries to bring up the main menu - whether I skip the opening cinematic or let it play.
    I was actually kind of sick of the game because of the combat, but thought I'd give it one more chance.
    What difficulty levelwould you recommend playing that on? I gave it about a half hour or so when I first tried it, and playing on Normal difficulty was a joke. Do the fights scale up, or is Difficult the way to go?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Mass Effect 3 demo, particularly and only the multiplayer part.

It's actually really good. Objectives are mix-and-matched, so you might get the same thing, but not in the same place, both which wave it is and where they are on the map. Little things like that. I also totally love the level design of the two maps that are being shown off. Lots of movement, elevation and very pretty to look at.

Whilst the single player is where I'll be dedicating my time, this feels like a worthy attachment to the main game. Unlike Dead Space 2's multiplayer component, this feels very much part of the full package, integrated well and generally, just enjoyable.

Also, the Krogan melee is a headbutt.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    What difficulty levelwould you recommend playing that on? I gave it about a half hour or so when I first tried it, and playing on Normal difficulty was a joke. Do the fights scale up, or is Difficult the way to go?
    Fights seem to get harder as you go, but you also become more powerful, so I think it balances out. If you're the type to enjoy that style of combat then go difficult I suppose. Personally I'd recommend playing it on Easy just to follow the storyline, 'cause I found the story, characters and dialogue to be the only enjoyable thing about the game.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think of DA:O as a D&D game because, aside from the mana/stamina system which comes from an MMO, it's the same gameplay. All combat depends on a stat-based ruleset where the player skill has no effect on the outcome (not tactical skill).
    This is gold. So all "stat-based" RPGs are D&D RPGs?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    There's no subtlety in DA2 Flemeth. DAO Flemeth looked like a peasant, but you knew she was dangerous the moment you met her.
    You met DA2 Flemeth after she torched a big pile of darkspawn and offered to send you air coach to the coast. What subtlety?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'm playing Driftmoon.

I was happy with the demo, with one or two gripes (the big one being that you can't seem to equip the secondary character), so I've now bought the alpha. I don't know why they're calling it an alpha, because it sure seems like it's in beta.

Once I tried it on the most difficult setting, I was hooked. The big difference so far is you get no stat points to spend at the beginning (only when you level up), so you have much tougher choices to make about your character. It's by no means a real old-style RPG, but it's fun and has heart.

Also, if you don't mind paying to playtest, the feedback system is really well thought out.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 16-02-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Network Hub
    You know what? This thread and the many like it here at the RPS forums have shown me something. I haven't played 1/50th of what people here talk about regularly and with great emotion. So despite the many, many hours of time I've put into the many games I've played over the years, I'm probably barely eligible to be considered a "gamer." Either that or these forums are populated with a high percentage of the truly hard-core, live-and-breathe-nothing-but-games kind of gamers that people like me wish we had the time to become.
    Quote Originally Posted by vecordae
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.
    Simply a brilliant signature, so I'm stealing it like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Yoink!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeon View Post
    You know what? This thread and the many like it here at the RPS forums have shown me something. I haven't played 1/50th of what people here talk about regularly and with great emotion. So despite the many, many hours of time I've put into the many games I've played over the years, I'm probably barely eligible to be considered a "gamer." Either that or these forums are populated with a high percentage of the truly hard-core, live-and-breathe-nothing-but-games kind of gamers that people like me wish we had the time to become.
    Well, just look at Nalano's Steam page. 151.2 hours played in the last two weeks. If I could spend literally half my time playing games, I'd get a second job.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Well, just look at Nalano's Steam page. 151.2 hours played in the last two weeks. If I could spend literally half my time playing games, I'd get a second job.
    My job is computers. I'm staring at three of them right now.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    You met DA2 Flemeth after she torched a big pile of darkspawn and offered to send you air coach to the coast. What subtlety?
    She could have kept out of sight, sent a minion, or maybe Hawke could win the fight and travel by other means. You may think that there's no reason to hide Flemeth's power now that the whole audience knows what she is, but she wasn't flaunting it openly in DA:O and doing so here seems to compromise her character. What the hell happened between DA:O to DA2 which made her go from a swampy old kook to Disney's Maleficent? Is this even the same person?

She could have kept out of sight, sent a minion, or maybe Hawke could win the fight and travel by other means. You may think that there's no reason to hide Flemeth's power now that the whole audience knows what she is, but she wasn't flaunting it openly in DA:O and doing so here seems to compromise her character. What the hell happened between DA:O to DA2 which made her go from a swampy old kook to Disney's Maleficent? Is this even the same person?
    "The character progression didn't go in the direction I wanted! Why has Bioware forsaken me? ...didn't they get my cards?"
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    This is gold. So all "stat-based" RPGs are D&D RPGs?
    Nope, I just didn't want to get into it heavily. The larger group is the stat-based RPG of which the D&D ones are a part of. I'm just saying that DA:O plays similar to a D&D one in that I, the player, don't have to actively dodge or block or strike and there are (6) stats from which to-hit rolls, damage, etc are largely derived with additional input coming from equipment. The only things that set it apart are the non-passive abilities.

Remember that Flemeth expected to die from Morrigan's machinations, so it's understandable she'd throw caution to the winds for a while to ensure her survival.
    Last edited by Casimir Effect; 17-02-2012 at 12:19 AM.