Page 18 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028681185181018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I got AC2 as it was on offer on Steam but I can't bring myself to finish Assassin's Creed first. I'll just read the story on Wikipedia because I began to hate all the stuff you had to do in Assassin's Creed to get to the fun stuff. Which is a shame because when it's good it's brilliant.
    As much as I loved the first Assassin's Creed, I think you'll be doing yourself a favour if you skip the ending of it and just read the story points elsewhere. It's about an hour and a half of repetitive battles with no respite. It's barely challenging, too, which makes it extremely dull.

Network Hub
    Pretty much what Jams said, yes. Watch the ending on Youtube and look up the story points on the Assassin's Creed wiki.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dungeon Siege 3 - I feel I'm near the end, maybe 3/4 of the way through, and it just keeps getting better and better! I finished the D.O.G. fight yesterday, which I really liked. I'm actually glad that Obsidian is keeping the boss battle ethos alive, in this and in Alpha Protocol. But where it backfired in Protocol because you could make a sneaky dude that worked well everywhere BUT the boss fights, here it's just... awesome.

Alice: Madness Returns - Just picked this up from Amazon for $30. I played a few hours yesterday and quite liked it. The jump controls are a bit too loose. That's my biggest complaint. I like the battles a lot -- they go at a good pace so you're not wailing on one guy endlessly (why I ultimately abandoned Darksiders) but you can die during them if you're not paying attention (although the focus camera doesn't show enough of your backside -- I'd like more situational awareness). Of course, the art direction is great. I was worried about the "sameness" I've been hearing about, but so far (midway through chapter two) that hasn't been a problem. Each chapter (so far!) has a totally distinct look, so the visuals don't run together. The game also has a real sense of care. Playing something like Fallout out any given shooter, you get used to seeing the same cabinet tipped over all over the place, or every cave looking exactly the same, or whatever. Each room in this game feels unique, with different sights and environments. I enjoy platformers a lot, so it's nice to get a good one on the PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    I like the battles a lot -- they go at a good pace so you're not wailing on one guy endlessly (why I ultimately abandoned Darksiders) but you can die during them if you're not paying attention (although the focus camera doesn't show enough of your backside -- I'd like more situational awareness).
    Use the focus on big 'boss' enemies and single targets, don't use it for anything else, it's not intended to be used on every fight or even most of them. (had to look at the ingame manual to divine this but it's in there)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Freshly digitally unwrapped I take a cyber bite out of Magicka... too much?
    It's a fun time I had a quick play which ended up taking a few hours. if ever a games was a candidate for causing keyboard claw this is it.

I love the ultra simplification of loot and wish more games would use alternatives rather than upgrades. Currently I'm using a staff of life so o don't need to babysit my health bar and the m60 assault rifle.

Played some Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword and I do like it! It's not as bad as people made me believe it was, though I do miss the tournaments very much. The shooting is not that annoying (only got shot of my horse once, by stupidly charging in a straight line towards a wall of muskets), even adds more skirmish hilarity (I was suprised you could backfire yourself of your horse, lovely detail). I also have the feeling that the map is a fraction smaller, which suits me just fine. And of course I'm going to make Slutsk my hometown!

By the way, are there some good mods available for Fire and Sword? Or are those reserved to Warband (loved the Floris modpack for that one!)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

I've been playing Heroes of Might and Magic 1 on my netbook and it's still super fun. I got 1-3 from GoG and think my netbook gaming is set for a while.

I spent two hours making a party for the temple of elemental evil last night. two hours! I haven't even started playing it yet.

Rogue Trooper. Popping Nort air tanks never gets old :)
    Also using Helm to attract them into minefields.
    "Hey, over here!"
    "Vat vas dat?"
    KABOOM!

Hello peeps, just bought Section 8 Prejudice today, figured it might be worth a roll. RPS ever roll it?

Many games will be reinstalled after skimming this thread... just got myself a lovely new gaming PC so I'm starting a few things over so that I can see all the pretties that were beyond my old rig. I'm mostly on The Witcher (1), Arma 2 and am compulsively running various man and lady Shepards through the Mass Effects, with a spot of STALKER, Arkham Asylum and Crysis when I fancy a change. Mass Effect does choice and consequence nicely (if not in massive depth) but I love the way that in the Witcher, decisions that didn't seem important at the time come and bite you right on the bum hours later.

@Olero, haven't had the chance to hunt for Mods yet but I also like WFAS rather a lot.
    @8-bit, it may be just me but I find the party creator more fun than the actual game (actually that's a bit harsh, the combat system is really nicely done but I've never quite stuck at the game for long for some reason)
    @Jams, AC2 is more or less all the good bits from AC1 and pretty much none of the crap, well I thought so - I had the feeling while playing 2 that the devs had really taken the criticism of the first game to heart
    There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

Just started playing Titan Quest again, I hope I don't lose as much time to it as I did last time.

At the final battle of Baldur's Gate. Playing it with BGT installed so I can seamlessly move through to BG2 and ToB. Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!!!! Rrraaaaaaaaggggghhhh!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Man, I forgot I had Mass Effect 2 on my PC. With my internet still out, still locked out from playing some of the games I want to.

So, F.E.A.R. 2. It's not as good as 1. Everything's on the highest settings and I've got to be honest, it looks really good. Unfortunately, the lack of lean removes some cool moves you can do, even on normal the enemies are punishing, the weapons aren't that satisfying and enemies seem to take an awful lot of punishment. It feels tighter, but it's just not as enjoyable. Shotguns seem to do about as much damage as angrily shouting at your enemy, which is a real shame because in 1 they were pretty sweet. Headshots seem to be pretty useless and overall, I'm just not feeling it as much. I don't know how long I've played it for, but I reckon I'm about half-way through and it's been maybe 5-6 hours, so at least there's some decent run out of it, not to mention the 'Reborn' DLC. Still worth playing, but a bit disappointing.

Although, thank some magnificent being for significantly reducing the damage it takes to kill the stealth assassins. They seem far easier to kill.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Nearing the end of Crysis, I think (I'm on the aircraft carrier). I was enjoying myself immensely when it was a thoughtful "wide corridor" shooter that required careful approaches and appropriate use of suit powers. I've been enjoying myself a lot less since it turned into a brute-force linear shooter, high production values notwithstanding. At this point I'm close enough to the end to want to push through just to have done so, though it wouldn't surprise me if I got put off the whole thing by a bad boss fight.

Is Warhead worth playing? Is it like early Crysis, late Crysis, or does it have both? Am I right in thinking Crysis 2 is very "late Crysis?"

I actually quite liked Warhead. It doesn't have any floaty bits and I think it features soldiers for longer, if I remember right. It's more linear than the early bits of Crysis but it does still let you approach some bits how you please

If you see it cheap I'd say it's worth a go.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Network Hub
    Warhead is worth a go in my opinion- some really nice fights in there. The scripted/linear bits are more linear than Crysis's linear bits (there a fight scene on board a airplane carrier in which most paths are blocked by walls of ice- still awesome though), but theres less of them and the sandboxy bits are just as sandboxy, if that makes sense. I also think they tweaked weapon damage and suit powers and the combat felt like it went a lot smoother.

Torchlight is eating my hours again, continuing my second playthrough of the main story with the warrior-kind of guy. The gaming experience is definitely different with a second character if you've been storing stuff in the shared chest - my level 20-something warrior is decked in unique and set gear and practically destroying everything in his path with extreme ease in the normal dungeons (the scaled special areas are slightly more challenging). Managed to beat the golem boss that resists all elements in a matter of seconds...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that I enjoyed Crysis more post-entering the ship. Whilst I appreciated the options beforehand, it kinda felt like it went by rote, ie. speed into the next area, cloak into a good position, open fire...After the ship, I felt like I was constantly kept on my toes and that I had to mix it up more. Warhead is more linear, but I felt so much more polished, refined and enjoyable to play. Both enjoyed 1HKs on the player a bit too much for my liking (at least on Hard) but Warhead justified my Crysis expenditure. Not to mention your character has more character in Warhead.

Completed FEAR 2 and the Reborn DLC last night. Apparently I was right at the end of it when I last posted...basically, looks good, but not as fun as 1. More restricted, at least they didn't completely neuter weapon choice, although why you'd want the SMG when you have the assault rifle which was better in essentially all situations. The shotgun still disappointed, but hey. Reborn was enjoyable, but hell if it was worth 6. An hour long, if that. It was enjoyable to play, the perspective change was different, but it all felt a bit forced time-wise. It did, however, have a rather good introduction.

Anyhow, have my new wireless router in a box next to me. Here's hoping for some communal Minecraft/BC2 action later!

Banned
    Eh, trying to figure out Birth Of America 2. I find it really difficult to get to grips with these AGEOD games.