Page 194 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294694 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 22718
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I can't focus on any one game...

-Rez HD (360): This game is cool, but ultimately a little short and shallow for my taste. I'm on the 4th stage.
    -Blue Dragon (360): I'd hate this game if it didn't have Japanese voice options. Maybe I'm choosing to play this at the wrong time of day, but I keep falling asleep while I'm playing this... The battle system is interesting in theory, but the animations are way too long (which wasn't a surprise or anything, but damn) and I don't see myself finishing this anytime soon. It does have some interesting ideas and spins on the traditional JRPG, though, and the game looks really nice despite the fact that I don't even like Akira Toriyama.
    -Wipeout Pure (PSP): I've got like 150 gold medals in this game. I think that's only like half of the total.
    -Yggdra Union (PSP): Never played the GBA original, but I got a free download for this with another game and I'm enjoying it so far. The art is great and the game itself wholly different from any other game I've played (as Sting is known for.) Think Advance Wars with RPG elements, a shitload of bizarre rules and a more active battle system.
    -Final Fantasy XII (PS2): I finally picked up a PS2, and this came with it so I just played about 15 minutes to make sure it worked. Good art design, cutscenes don't bother me so far, loading times suck.
    -Darkstalkers 3: Donovan ftw. Need to mod my arcade stick so I can use it on my Playstation, because I really suck with a d-pad.
    Somehow, I can't bring myself to finish Blue Dragon. It's okay and all with the beautiful art, hilarious monsters, quite good music, standard JRPG fare with a hint of FFV (dat class system). But, it also felt kinda..... meh. Maybe it's the bland story or that incredibly off-putting boss fight theme. I don't know.

FFXII looks pretty awesome, though. The art direction is the best I've seen in any FF game, imo. Shame the protag wasn't Basch. Or Balthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Shame the protag wasn't Basch. Or Balthier.
    It was supposed to be, but sadly the executives decided that some grizzly guys weren't an attractive enough main hero for a Final Fantasy game and thus Vaan was created. If you pay attention you realise he's completely incidental to the plot and Basch etc are the true main characters.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Crusader Kings 2.

What a game.
    Glad that you're enjoying it!

It's still sapping a lot of my time. With my current dynasty I've somehow (more through luck than judgement) found myself heir to The Holy Roman Empire. Unfortunately he's only 19 and I'm 23 so I'd need a big slice of luck to actually inherit it as I don't have sufficient intrigue skills to pull off an assasination. Fortunately my current character has bucked the unsavoury trend his descendants had of killing their wives, which was beginning to get a bit disturbing!

It's also one of the few games where I'm hoping for some DLC, i reckon it would be fun to play as one of the Muslim or pagan nations.

---

Also had a wee play with the demo of FTL, which led me to contributing to their Kickstarter. When it comes out I can definitely see it filling the "quick blast of gameplay" role that I generally have filled with a rougelike-like or puzzle game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Somehow, I can't bring myself to finish Blue Dragon. It's okay and all with the beautiful art, hilarious monsters, quite good music, standard JRPG fare with a hint of FFV (dat class system). But, it also felt kinda..... meh. Maybe it's the bland story or that incredibly off-putting boss fight theme. I don't know.
    Oh yeah, that boss theme is turrible. If anything does drive me to keep playing, it's going to be the class system. I rarely play my 360 so I'm sure the disc will be in there for quite a while, so maybe I'll just play it sporadically... It's pretty damn long though, right? I mean, jesus, 3 discs?

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    It was supposed to be, but sadly the executives decided that some grizzly guys weren't an attractive enough main hero for a Final Fantasy game and thus Vaan was created. If you pay attention you realise he's completely incidental to the plot and Basch etc are the true main characters.
    Yeah, but they could at least picked Balthier! He was supposed to be the protag after Basch in the first part of the game. Then, Vaan. In the third part of the game.

And, come on! The guy's like Zidane, only better. And he's a pirate. And he's got a gun. And a sexy bunny friend. And a badass. What more could we possibly ask for?

Oh yeah, that boss theme is turrible. If anything does drive me to keep playing, it's going to be the class system. I rarely play my 360 so I'm sure the disc will be in there for quite a while, so maybe I'll just play it sporadically... It's pretty damn long though, right? I mean, jesus, 3 discs?
    I know, right? And wait till you play Lost Odyssey...

I know, right? And wait till you play Lost Odyssey...
    That bad? I was considering getting it. I heard it actually has a really great story, but I just remember it got pretty bad reviews and was immediately forgotten. Maybe I'll get Nier instead (I saw the Joystiq review, I hear that the guy misunderstood the game pretty badly)

That bad? I was considering getting it. I heard it actually has a really great story, but I just remember it got pretty bad reviews and was immediately forgotten. Maybe I'll get Nier instead (I saw the Joystiq review, I hear that the guy misunderstood the game pretty badly)
    Oh no no no. I never said it's terrible or anything. Just longer than Blue Dragon, so I heard. Never played it per se, but it does have a good story. Not so sure about the gameplay, though.

Oh, and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman Tribe Leader View Post
    Sabrage: Don't give up on Ocarina of Time just yet. Like you, I played it for the first time pretty recently and bounced of the early parts of the game. I thought it significantly after the major event that occurs shortly after Jabu-Jabu (although there are still irritating points). Dungeons 4-6 are all excellent, and one of my favorite moments in gaming is in the Fire Temple when you get the hammer, after which there are 4 or 5 puzzles in quick succession where the solution is "smash it with a hammer." It's very satisfying.
    I totally did. I got right up to the Song of Time and I haven't played in well over a month. I really haven't played my N64 at all; it's my favorite console from my childhood (and I still love Super Smash Bros) but it probably aged the worst out of any console generation. At least the PS1 has a ton of RPGs, shmups and 2D fighters to make up for its ugly graphics... Every game on N64 uses 3D graphics, and every 3D game besides racers, rail shooters (or Pokemon Snap) and fighters is fucking atrocious with only one analog stick. If the OOT remake had support for the analog pad add-on, I'd definitely consider a 3DS... But the real problem I have with the game is the hand-holding, so I would probably just stop playing again.

As it stands, I right now have Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, (I picked up that Gamecube version) A Link to the Past, the original NES game, Link's Awakening DX, Wind Waker and Spirit tracks all in various states of unfinished or unplayed. Because what I really want to play is Oracle of Ages.
    Last edited by sabrage; 05-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Oracle of Ages.
    I have it stored away, you want? Pm
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    It's weird. There's a definite shift in tone between Saints Row 2 and 3. 3 is "gleefully psychotic." 2 is "mean and bitchy."

Both have revenge scenarios featured centrally in the narrative, but in 3 the focus is on enriching yourself rather than punishing others. Yeah, you kill the Belgian dude but you barely even care as you squee wide-eyed at your new toys. You unmask the luchador but you're practically driven to distraction by all the media attention. You're a villain with good publicity!

In 2, you burn a man's face with radioactive waste before kidnapping his girlfriend in an elaborate scenario where he ends up unwittingly crushing her with a monster truck, and then you make mangle his talented assistants such that they can never work again. You break a man's legs and bury him alive, before nailing his father to the floor with a sword and telecasting his screams of anguish. Holy damn, you're pure malevolence!

It's like, in 3, your character will threaten, "I'm gonna kill you, your family and your dog!" and then forget to do so because there's partying to do. In 2, the next three missions will be "the dude," "the dude's family," and "the dude's dog."
    Last edited by Nalano; 05-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Something or other about Lost Odyssey and NIER
    Easily some of the best games for the 360, but unfortunately very underrated, kinda forgotten.

Lost Odyssey, when it comes to combat, is pretty classic in terms of J-RPGs. It has a few small tweaks here and there, but doesn't deviate too far from the standard formula. The story however is very good, and there are tiny readable stories, short written stories, which are supposed to be some of the characters' memories, which are absolutely beautiful. Seriously. If you don't cry after reading the first one, you have no soul or feelings.

Nier is like a weird attempt at bringing arcade-y combat to an RPG. Feels a bit forced, but it works. However, the setting is amazing, it's like the apocalypse came, humanity barely survived, and what's left has devolved into a kind of medieval state heavily influenced, by the most part, by Celtic culture. The whole soundtrack reeks of it, despite being a purely Japanese game. And once again, the story is pretty good. Although the killer comes when you finish it for the second time.
    When you first finish it, you get the "A" ending; you're the best, the boss, the hero, you saved the world; but... the game has 4 endings total. If you replay after the ending, you get thrown already kinda like halfway into the game (in this regard, luckily, the game isn't too long; short for J-RPG standards, actually) and there's this tiny small change, which may seem like little more than a curiosity, a gimmick, but good god it manages to cast the entire story, and most of the characters in a radically different light. It's amazing.

So yeah, I really recommend you play both.

They're cheap, and I'm assuming NIER will only get cheaper. What was the other 360 RPG I'm forgetting? Vesperia is kinda expensive (but I don't think it'll see a re-release... Namco can be pretty stupid when it comes to Tales) but wasn't there a Tri-Ace game or something?

1000 Amps: Thanks to Johns WiT last week I got this little indie platformer. Enjoying it so far. I especially like the openness of the gameworld, that when you are stuck you can just try the next room. Only negative thing is that sometimes I have severe mouselag. Damn you flash!

Amnesia - The Dark Descent: I am nearing the Inner Sanctum now. Left at the Choir yesterday evening and will continue later. The atmosphere in this game is just so damn great. Even if it makes me stop playing the game after 30 minutes, because I was scared of something. Really excited to see the ending. Reminds me a bit of Metro 2033, where I also played in short bursts of 30 minutes, but once the credits rolled I wanted to start again!

Red Orchestra 2: Yup, still playing. Currently at honor rank 72. I think with my playtime I could have easily reached rank 99. Never farmed bots though. In the serverlist you can always see many servers with one player on it. Playing against bots, to get faster ranks. Why would you do that? Thats like the most boring thing I can imagine, because RO2 bots are like the worst bots ever in a mp fps.

Serious Sam - The Second Encounter: Have finished the South America campaign. Now into the second level of the persian campaign. I have never played the SS games when they were released and I feel a bit bad for it. These games are just so much fun. Will definitely get Serious Sam 3 the next weeks/months!

They're cheap, and I'm assuming NIER will only get cheaper. What was the other 360 RPG I'm forgetting? Vesperia is kinda expensive (but I don't think it'll see a re-release... Namco can be pretty stupid when it comes to Tales) but wasn't there a Tri-Ace game or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It's weird. There's a definite shift in tone between Saints Row 2 and 3. 3 is "gleefully psychotic." 2 is "mean and bitchy."
    But also consider this:

Saint's Row 2 had a few rather touching/dramatic moments, for example (SPOILER) Aisha's death and the mercy-killing of what's-his-face that was dragged by a car. (/END SPOILER)
    Saint's Row 3, while a great game on so many levels, really didn't have any touching moments like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    But also consider this:

Saint's Row 2 had a few rather touching/dramatic moments, for example (SPOILER) Aisha's death and the mercy-killing of what's-his-face that was dragged by a car. (/END SPOILER)
    Saint's Row 3, while a great game on so many levels, really didn't have any touching moments like that.
    That's not touching and dramatic. That's capricious and cavalier.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Well Resonance of Fate is multi-plat, and my PS3 is newer and more reliable so I usually go with that. I was thinking of Infinite Undiscovery, which I know nothing about.

Well Resonance of Fate is multi-plat, and my PS3 is newer and more reliable so I usually go with that. I was thinking of Infinite Undiscovery, which I know nothing about.
    Oh forgot about that one. It's okay-ish, but nothing amazing or groundbreaking. Bit too short, but it supposedly has heaps of post-game content, but if you want access to all of it, you have to finish the game in the toughest difficulty setting, which is horrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Fired up Mass Effect 2 again. Not to play the whole thing again (decided to just refresh myself on stuff that happened by reading wikis and so on) but just to get myself in the mood. Decided to get The Shadow Broker DLC as people seem to think it's good and it's nice to have something new to play to get me back into the swing of it. None of the rest of the DLC seems worth it though, so I'll porbably not bother.