Page 20 of 1185 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230701205201020 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just beat Dungeon Siege 3! Woo! Restarting as the wizard on hardcore (I was the gun-lady on normal) -- that'll be fun. I'll bump Alice up to my primary gaming slot. And I've played the first set of levels on Bit.Trip Runner. I like it a lot!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Well, after a couple of good chapters Warhead descended into forced cinematics, scripted vehicle chase sequences, more alien bullshit, and an instakill boss battle. I guess that's that, then. It's a shame, this series had such potential.

Aaaanyway, that's about enough of that. I'm going to spend a bit of time with Just Cause 2 and see if it's worth my while, and in honor of July 4th I'm once again trying to get a handle on Birth of America 2.

Oh, and I guess I'll also be dancing like a puppet to enough of Steam's "play this do that" nonsense to secure the SpaceChem, Fate of the World, and X3:TC DLC's. Ugh. I can't help but notice that whenever they try to force me to play something (I never buy games for these, but I've got plenty of stuff I've never played lying around my Steam library) I invariably end up disliking the game and never play it again. I can't help but wonder if they're ruining games I might otherwise enjoy by turning them into work.
    Last edited by vinraith; 01-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Sorry to piggyback on your suffering Vinraith, but if possible could you keep us informed on which of the Steam thingies are relatively brief and/or enjoyable? I want to get three tickets for the SpaceChem DLC, but I'm really not in the mood for this so I'd like to get it over with as painlessly as possible. (And without spending any money, which limits my options to games I already own.)

Well, by no means do I have all of them, but I'll mention the ones I find quick and simple. For today, obviously, join the summer club, and then the other one that took about 10 minutes and was a cakewalk for me was the Swords and Soliders achievement, if you happen to have the game. The level in question lets you unlock the lightning bolt spell, which you can easily use to kill everything on the map.

I just completed the Swords and Soldiers one in mere minutes. Be sure to move the sign and kill everything on both routes.
    I haven't done anything else besides 'join the community group' because I bought The Longest Journey, and got caught up in that.
    (I actually bought a physical copy years ago, but my computer at that time didn't run it very well. I'm old.)

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Midna is a fantastic character that continues to get better throughout the game - if only the same could be said for Zant.
    Really? I hated Midna. One of the most annoying characters in gaming history, at least for me. Up there on the list together with Navi "Hey, listen!" Pixie.

Unfortunately I don't have Swords and Soldiers, but thanks anyway for the tip. I've joined the Summer Sale group, and I'm happy to do the Bit.Trip.BEAT achievement (as long as I'm not too inept) because I enjoy the game, so that leaves me with one more to do.

The other game I own that's relevant today is Toki Tori. I haven't played it much and don't understand what 'Stand in all sun beams' means, but it sounds time-consuming.
    Last edited by MD!; 01-07-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    steam forum has a guide for toki tori, took me 15 minutes but its fiddly in places.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Really? I hated Midna. One of the most annoying characters in gaming history, at least for me
    Well, you'd be in the minority there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Well, you'd be in the minority there.
    What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have Swords and Soldiers, but thanks anyway for the tip. I've joined the Summer Sale group, and I'm happy to do the Bit.Trip.BEAT achievement (as long as I'm not too inept) because I enjoy the game, so that leaves me with one more to do.

The other game I own that's relevant today is Toki Tori. I haven't played it much and don't understand what 'Stand in all sun beams' means, but it sounds time-consuming.
    Yeah, that one sounded painful, and the Aaaa one (which I tried) was painful (and unsuccessful). I don't own any of the others. I've got two for the day, there are 10 days left, I figure as long as I've got a ticket a day I should get to my 9 no problem. Since you're only after three, I'd just wait and see what goes up today. My guess, based on the last one of these, is that there may be a freebie each day.

Activated Node
    The Toki Tori one is both hard and time consuming. It's a lot of fun if you enjoy puzzles though. The game itself is a surprisingly well made puzzler.

I've heard a lot of good things about Toki Tori, which is the other reason I don't want to do that challenge. Turning an otherwise fun game into a chore is a good way to end up hating said otherwise fun game, in my experience.

Activated Node
    Yup, I understand. The sunbeams are locations in the levels that you have to make it to. There's 10 of them, all in the first chapter most of them in the hard levels, and going for them kind of repurposes those levels. It definitely all remains in the realm of puzzles, so it's not just tedious labour - it's actually a nice set of extra challenges, fairly hard but rewarding. Still, they're just too well made not to stay there indefinitely, so I doubt there's a need to rush them in time for the compo if you're not interested in it.

@MD

There's apparently a thread on easy summer tickets being maintained in one of the other subfora which I never check, I'll link it here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ancement-Union

and then put future advice in there, so as to avoid cluttering this thread up.
    Last edited by vinraith; 01-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Recettear and Shogun 2(just to get the achievement)

Cheers Vinraith. There's an easy SpaceChem one today, so that'll be it for me. Good luck with yours. (I felt similarly to you about the Toki Tori one, incidentally).

So uh, in answer to the thread title: SpaceChem!

Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Cheers Vinraith. There's an easy SpaceChem one today, so that'll be it for me. Good luck with yours. (I felt similarly to you about the Toki Tori one, incidentally).

So uh, in answer to the thread title: SpaceChem!
    I'm studiously ignoring that one, myself. I refuse to go into Research Net until I've earned it.

Fair enough -- I had already finished the main campaign, so it wasn't a problem, but I get where you're coming from. It seems like you might be right about the one-freebie-per-day rule, so you can probably afford to stick to your guns.

For the more on-topic portion of my post: having registered SpaceChem on Steam, I've just discovered what I presume is a Steam-exclusive set of levels that I'd never seen before. The gimmick seems to be TF2 crafting-related, but I don't mind as long as they're interesting levels. So with that and the DLC, it's time to get sucked back into SpaceChem :))

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I picked up Oblivion in the sale yesterday, because I can't be bothered turning on my 360 evidently (and because mods), but I've mainly been playing Morrowind. I also played Shogo: Mobile Armored Division from GOG's Interplay sale, but now it keeps crashing every time I try to quickload or enter the final battle.

This combination has made me realise how much I want an open-world RPG with giant robots. (Fallout 3 had one giant robot. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.)
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus