Page 214 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314714 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,280 of 24141
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm still playing Space Pirates and Zombies, but having put about 5 hours into the thing I'm starting to wonder if this is all there is. The combat isn't particularly involving and the universe seems to be an endless series of copy-pasted systems with the same two factions and the same little side missions. Consequently, both combat and exploration are uninteresting, and those seem to be all the game has to offer. I've been playing along hoping something might open up that makes the game more interesting but I'm losing patience. Is there any reason to keep going, here?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Once you reach the inner systems (get the titan laser?) the game changes, and then changes again after a few more plot points.

Both the changes make it practically a new game. I wish the 3rd act had taken longer but nothing was forcing me to the end game.

Also, I want pvp and a customisable clockwork, maybe hopes to be left for a sequel
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Once you reach the inner systems (get the titan laser?)
    About how long will that take, do you think? I've got the crystal for the laser, I guess the thing to do is concentrate on moving through the plot rather than treating this as an open world game where the plot isn't the point?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Space Pirates Vs Zombies - the NyQuil substitute. I quit after a few days.

It's open like GTA not Elder Scrolls. Play plot missions until they are too hard, but try and get unlock stuff on the way.

Once you unlock the heavier ships combat is less twitchy and more interesting.

Tech suggestions :
    Balistics,
    Turrets (just for the size up one gun one or all the way to triple)
    Shields
    Minelayer (not that useful)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It's open like GTA not Elder Scrolls. Play plot missions until they are too hard, but try and get unlock stuff on the way.

Once you unlock the heavier ships combat is less twitchy and more interesting.

Tech suggestions :
    Balistics,
    Turrets (just for the size up one gun one or all the way to triple)
    Shields
    Minelayer (not that useful)
    Oh, is that why I hate GTA? I never could figure out why what everyone was calling an "open world game" seemed 100% linear to me.

Anyway, in SPAZ's case the plot missions seem far less rage-inducing than GTA's, so I'll give that a try and see if I warm to it. Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    GTA IV has a big open world, that's why it's called a big open world.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    GTA IV has a big open world, that's why it's called a big open world.
    In all my previous experience with open world games, "open world" and "non-linear" were synonymous. An open world game with only a single mission, or maybe a choice of two, where the rest of the world was nearly totally empty was completely foreign.

I think, Mafia 2 or LA Noire better suit that description. The open world is completely superfluous to the game experience and it really is just a linear path, whereas GTA while having a linear story progression, I'd argue the world is part of the gameplay as much as the rest of the game. It doesn't 'feel' linear.

I think, Mafia 2 or LA Noire better suit that description. The open world is completely superfluous to the game experience and it really is just a linear path, whereas GTA while having a linear story progression, I'd argue the world is part of the gameplay as much as the rest of the game. It doesn't 'feel' linear.
    I've always assumed the GTA games must open up more after the point where I lose patience with them (which is inevitably very early on). Not having played Mafia 2 or LA Noire at all, I wouldn't know how they compare.

GTA let's you do very much what you want (the missions give you at max a choice of 3 different ones to complete in any order) with lots of side activities. The world is worth exploring. Mafia 2 and LA Noire however always put you on a mission. The world is fairly open but you are always progressing the main story with very little deviation from that.

It's not like Noire because you do have plentiful subquests, and it's a tiny bit like elite because of hunting down tech to buy (and later violently steal) with long term intent.

After the first change its like being a war photographer, picking up the scraps of wars but also being a secret war criminal when it suits.

The third act is like playing a grand strategy on the smallest scale settings ever. Pro tip spoiler for the strategy:
    Get your pop from level 3 colonies or hotels but mine your own rocks with the grinder(s) and it's default mining laser.

Wet your whistle on that.

GTA let's you do very much what you want (the missions give you at max a choice of 3 different ones to complete in any order) with lots of side activities. The world is worth exploring. Mafia 2 and LA Noire however always put you on a mission. The world is fairly open but you are always progressing the main story with very little deviation from that.
    This is so crap. Having to choose between this or that completely linear mission does not suddenly equals player's freedom. They are all tedious and stupid anyway, nevermind the whole narrative/gameplay dissonance. The world is a static backdrop that only really reacts to the player in the form of police chases (the only emergent thing in the game that 'lets you do very much what you want). And what exactly is worth exploring there? It's a recreation of a well-known city. There's nothing new from an artistic point of view. But in any case, what is exactly the point in looking at assets in a game?

Mafia 2 is an abomination that shares the same flaws. Having humbler budget and marketing campaign does not make it any more horrible.
    Last edited by Doesn'tmeananything; 28-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    And what exactly is worth exploring there? It's a recreation of a well-known city. There's nothing new from an artistic point of view.
    Except it hasn't been done before. That they squandered the assets is lamentable, but it hasn't been done before.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'm not saying it's a completely free game it's not - the mission progression is very linear (although you can tackle quite a few missions in a variety of different ways). But the point still stands that it's a big, open world with plenty to see and do. It's not like Mafia. Just because you don't find it artistically interesting, doesn't make it an entirely linear game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Except it hasn't been done before. That they squandered the assets is lamentable, but it hasn't been done before.
    What hasn't been done before?

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Whatever it is you're pretty sure that an obscure rpg from the 80s did it first, right?
    Last edited by Tikey; 29-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    A game that pleases you completely.

Having played some more FO:NV and having acquired some wealth and status, I hereby declare Vault 34 to be one of the worst dungeons ever. I think I burned through roughly 20 RadAways with a fairly decent medicine skill and yet I barely made it out alive with a critical radiation poisoning. Didn't help that I also had to struggle with a literally crippling addiction and about four bitten off limbs and don't even get me started on the vault architecture that prevents your companions from assisting you.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    that actually sounds quite nice. I steamrolled through whole Fallout 3 never encountering anything really hard except my first confrontation with deathclaws (while i was still using hunting rifle) so that dungeon seems like i quite a challenge. every corner can kill you but it will do that slowly, you can't rely on your backup.
    i didn't play it myself yet but it does sound awesome what you posted.