Page 220 of 1162 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221222230270320720 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,400 of 23223
  1. #4381
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Faerie Solitaire.

    D:
    Yeah, the studio who came up with that need to be branded as "dicks". No way should a game like that be so addictive.


  2. #4382
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I'm hoping Vogle isn't going to be cheap with his new found humblebundle/steam cash and maybe try to increase the production values on his future games at least slightly. There is do it yourself spirit, and then there's just being lazy and cheap. I can't imagine it would be at all expensive or difficult for him to just get a digital recorder and sit in a park somewhere for 5 minutes to get some new ambient sounds.
    He could crowd source ambient noise for free. Seriously, a real fan would love "dog barks - Steve Smith" in the credits.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  3. #4383
    Lesser Hivemind Node Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester / Finland
    Posts
    933
    Bulletstorm, as mentioned before. It feels like something wild and zany that would love to frolic freely, but which is kept on a constant leash so it doesn't get too rowdy. The skillshot system is great, the guns are fun, the kick and leash are excellent additions, the locales are great and there's a constant feeling that the game could be crazy shooter extravaganza. Then the modern FPS tropes hit in (somewhat ironically, considering it was supposed to be a bit of answer to all the po-faced modern shooters) and spoil the fun: frequent corridors that are too tiny to really have any fun in, small waves of enemies that die before the shooting's truly began, constant accompaniment from 1-2 annoying AI buddies (can't I get a bit of my own time at all, please!?) who get in the way and often also lead the way to a frustrating degree, the miniscule amount of weapons you can carry at the same time, etc. I'd love to have this game more unhinged, mix the skillshot system and the armory with Serious Sam-esque fields filled with enemies or something. Right now it feels like it's being constantly held back. Enjoyable, nonetheless.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

  4. #4384
    Lesser Hivemind Node Scumbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    constant accompaniment from 1-2 annoying AI buddies (can't I get a bit of my own time at all, please!?) who get in the way and often also lead the way to a frustrating degree
    An enemy stands before a unique, once in the game opportunity trap. I leash him and prepare to boot his head into said trap.
    Ishi runs in and starts meleeing the guy before the girl (forget her name) shoots the guy up.
    Ishi then turns to me and scolds me for something trivial. I want to talk back, I want to tell him "YOU RUINED MY SHOT!" He just stands there looking serious.
    Thanks guys.

  5. #4385
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I'd love to have this game more unhinged, mix the skillshot system and the armory with Serious Sam-esque fields filled with enemies or something. Right now it feels like it's being constantly held back. Enjoyable, nonetheless.
    I haven't played the Serious Sam games, but I do recognize this about Bulletstorm. The ideas and mechanics are all there, but it seems they didn't want (or could, due to budget/schedule/etc.) to deviate too much from today's popular FPS tropes.

    That said, as far as these linear FPS games go, I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  6. #4386
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Bulletstorm does have some faults, and also some moments where it's a bit too reliant on visual aids that can go wrong.

    There's a level near the end where you have a short amount of time to get from Point A to Point B. A visual effect happens, and if it malfunctions in any way, it is practically impossible to do that section.

    I was stuck there for months due to GPU failure :(


  7. #4387
    Fallout: New Vegas (Ultimate Edition). The girlfriend bought herself a copy and one for me the other week, and I must say it's alot better than I thought it would be.

    I didn't hate Fallout 3 but it didn't rank high for me personally but Obsidian sure managed to make something quite a bit better than Bethesda, shouldn't come as a surprise I suppose. Oh well, 25ish hours in, and only done one of the DLCs and maybe halfway through the main quest. Should be the game of choice for quite some time.

  8. #4388
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    193
    Replaying Serious Sam 3, trying to get into Bastion. I love the look and the narration, but the gameplay isn't really my thing. Thinking about trying Alpha Protocol again.

    Other than the last two games, I have absolutely no back-log. I haven't bought a new game all year, unfortunately. Last year I enjoyed Portal 2, the Witcher 2, Bulletstorm, Batman Arkham City, Crysis 2, and Skyrim. It seems like 2012 is going to be a weak year for games.

  9. #4389
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,339
    I'm now stuck in SpellForce. The Hard difficulty setting was added in a patch, and I'm not sure they actually checked whether it was possible to get past this particular section. I may have to do something extreme like inventory-hacking.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  10. #4390
    Network Hub icemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    135
    Currently playing:

    .Hack GU 1 - Rebirth (PS2 via emulator). I had previously this year and last, been playing through 1-4 of the previous .Hack series. Whilst this new series at first annoyed the hell out of me (due to the annoying amount of tutorials compared to the 1st game of the previous series) this new series has really grown on me. A evolution in more ways than one and a game that feels a hell of alot more like you are playing a MMO that is in itself within another game (since you can "log out of the MMO and check your emails and read up on current news events of the fictional alternate future that you are in).

    Arcana (SNES). A fairly generic old school dungeon crawler (think Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic style) that I had been meaning to beat for a very long time. Fun to play in chunks. Not so much fun when played for long periods. After finishing off Skyrim recently, going back to a fairly standard RPG has been a big change of pace.

  11. #4391
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    The soundscape is really annoying after a time, and in fact a bit weird + there is no in game music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I love spiderweb, but they use the same fucking soundscape in every single game. Child crying, Child going "abababababa abbba bah," stuff clinking....in every single city you go in. It's really annoying. I'd rather they just cut them out entirely.
    True, some soundscapes being reused over and over also lead them to be fairly out of place in some of the settings. One of them (Dhorl Stead maybe?) even has a wind effect that to my ear is exactly like cars wooshing by in the distance and really broke the immersion.

    "ababababa" really stepped on my nerves for some reason since the first time and still does with no fail :D Truth to be told, there should be an option to turn them off, but I haven't tried it.

    FWIW I'm fine with it not having any in game music.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    Secondly, there was not really a good way of gauging whether you were strong enough to face enemy X or not. So I kept wiping at stupid things, because I kept entering wrong dungeons even though I had the quest for it. But then again, I don't have much fun with turn based RPGs sadly.
    My main gripe with difficulty is the main quest line is a bit too easy if you keep sidequesting, and that some sidequests are difficulty spikes, although I had the feeling that was pretty much the way it was meant to be, it still feels a bit wrong somehow: I can kick the current villain's ass to the moon and back and yet a freakking ghost or salamander in some forgotten dungeon somewhere forces me to plunge into the bag for consumables. Weird!

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I'm hoping Vogle isn't going to be cheap with his new found humblebundle/steam cash and maybe try to increase the production values on his future games at least slightly. There is do it yourself spirit, and then there's just being lazy and cheap. I can't imagine it would be at all expensive or difficult for him to just get a digital recorder and sit in a park somewhere for 5 minutes to get some new ambient sounds.
    Well I might be wrong about this but he reminds me of Scawen Roberts, he's like "this is my one man band and I'm not gonna hire people because that would turn me into a manager". While I understand that attitude fully, it will only take you that far: at some point you have to do things the Notch way, i.e. hire someone to do what you don't feel like doing (although yes being stuffed with money helps a lot in that regard)

    -- FTR I finally got the medal for "Back in the Fold" and I've almost reached the level cap, 54h in.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  12. #4392
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Currently playing:

    .Hack GU 1 - Rebirth (PS2 via emulator). I had previously this year and last, been playing through 1-4 of the previous .Hack series. Whilst this new series at first annoyed the hell out of me (due to the annoying amount of tutorials compared to the 1st game of the previous series) this new series has really grown on me. A evolution in more ways than one and a game that feels a hell of alot more like you are playing a MMO that is in itself within another game (since you can "log out of the MMO and check your emails and read up on current news events of the fictional alternate future that you are in).
    I have the first .hack SIGN but then they stopped selling the games all together, maybe I should just emulate them like you did.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  13. #4393
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,075
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I'm now stuck in SpellForce. The Hard difficulty setting was added in a patch, and I'm not sure they actually checked whether it was possible to get past this particular section. I may have to do something extreme like inventory-hacking.
    Pfft, bad game, terrible game.

    Can be beat with stuff like heal aura and melee focus, but really its a bad game
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #4394
    Network Hub icemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I have the first .hack SIGN but then they stopped selling the games all together, maybe I should just emulate them like you did.
    Their certainly worth playing. Just be sure to get all games of the same region. I ran into issues with the 3rd .hack SIGN game due to the copy I got off ebay years ago being NTSC whilst my others were PAL. If their of different regions then you can't convert over your saved games which is a major annoyance. If you later on want to make the jump from SIGN over to GU, the same applies obviously.

    Copies of the game seem to be quite difficult to get a hold of these days in stores. But ebay has quite a few copies available (as of a quick check I just did). Emulation is my preference for PS2 games these days due to the better resolutions you can do + the convenience of not having to worry about memory card space (since you can simply make yourself an extra one if you use the existing one up). PS2 emulation has improved quite significantly over the last few years which is another reason.
    Last edited by icemann; 04-04-2012 at 04:19 PM.

  15. #4395
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,956
    Remember that McDonald's management sim back in 2006? I don't know how many times I got fired being manager of everything, ever in that company... What. The. Hell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Bulletstorm, as mentioned before. It feels like something wild and zany that would love to frolic freely, but which is kept on a constant leash so it doesn't get too rowdy. The skillshot system is great, the guns are fun, the kick and leash are excellent additions, the locales are great and there's a constant feeling that the game could be crazy shooter extravaganza. Then the modern FPS tropes hit in (somewhat ironically, considering it was supposed to be a bit of answer to all the po-faced modern shooters) and spoil the fun: frequent corridors that are too tiny to really have any fun in, small waves of enemies that die before the shooting's truly began, constant accompaniment from 1-2 annoying AI buddies (can't I get a bit of my own time at all, please!?) who get in the way and often also lead the way to a frustrating degree, the miniscule amount of weapons you can carry at the same time, etc. I'd love to have this game more unhinged, mix the skillshot system and the armory with Serious Sam-esque fields filled with enemies or something. Right now it feels like it's being constantly held back. Enjoyable, nonetheless.
    Yeah, I feel ya man. Seriously, this game is the game that would've been some of the best FPS ever made in modern times. That satirical humour, that gameplay, skillshots, guns, they got a lot of things right but the thing is, it's like what you said: kept on a leach. All those QTEs up the ass, the narrow corridors, the linearity, GfWL, it's like they're holding back on us for a wider audience or something. Still love it, though. I really do.

  16. #4396
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Pfft, bad game, terrible game.

    Can be beat with stuff like heal aura and melee focus, but really its a bad game
    SpellForce is awesome. Apart from the frost monsters. They suck.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  17. #4397
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,075
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    SpellForce is [...] suck.
    Paraphrased your post for you.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  18. #4398
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,339
    At least make the grammar work! I am a gentleman of learning, you know! I resent being edited in a way that makes me appear illiterate.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  19. #4399
    Lesser Hivemind Node Labbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    At least make the grammar work! I am a gentleman of learning, you know! I resent being edited in a way that makes me appear illiterate.
    Don't you mean Ghentleman?

    Also, Spellforce sucks. Spellforce 2 is way better, and you also get your own island. Unfortunately full of bugs.

  20. #4400
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,075
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    SpellForce is [...] the [...] suck.
    Better? Really, you are stuck because despite the obvious effort invested in it its an abomination, just like E. Y. E
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •