Page 224 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324724 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 23328
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Right. Another attempt to get into Company of Heroes has been made and I think I might give up now. It's strange, I can see it's a really good game and I've enjoyed what I've played so far (last mission was the Carentan Counter-Attack one) but there's no pull to keep me playing. I feel as if I've seen all the game has to offer. Maybe I'll dip in and out, and I still like watching the shoutcasts someone recommended on these boards a while back which is something I've never found interest in before.
    I understand, scripted Strategy games are a contradiction in terms. Give all that choice but lay out a series of loops which MUST be jumped, the game does steadily open up and allow both doctrine and tactical choice but as a long time strategy gamer I usually just tap skirmish until I can take on someone made of meat.

The campaign does improve strategically, but for drama Carentan counter attack is the high water mark.

I Suggest you do as I do and play skirmishes, that's the whole game there, freeform with no blather. Play ranked matches against other people if you can take it, its the pinnacle of the form.

THQ published 2 strategy titles in a short space of time which couldn't have been more different, one was Company o Heroes, but I've been playing the other today, Supreme Commander (specifically Forged Alliance), my retail key activated on steam... Who knew?

The game is a beast, its truly monstrous. Dozens of strategically unique units, an economy which will not let you rest and a scale which allows things like a "temporary base" to actually make sense. The game is everything CoH rebuked about the genre (and DoW2 later outright rejected) turned up to eleven. It was a base building, formation moving, special weapon deploying, mind whithering apocalypse played out in real time.

CoH was exhausting to play against another person, but the scale and randomness forgave you, but Supreme Commander has no such mercy.

Note: The supreme commander campaign was a scripted mess cage for strategy once again but my praise is for Skirmish/Multiplayer.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 07-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    You know whats sad,i bought COH and Supreme Commander 1 with expansion pack for my mate's birthday and he still didn't even opened Supreme Commander,but we put dozens of hours into COH multiplayer together. Its a shame,because Supreme Commander is allot more deeper game then COH,even better in my opinion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I understand, scripted Strategy games are a contradiction in terms. Give all that choice but lay out a series of loops which MUST be jumped, the game does steadily open up and allow both doctrine and tactical choice but as a long time strategy gamer I usually just tap skirmish until I can take on someone made of meat.
    That's exactly it - the scripted nature is what puts me off. Or at least how heavily scripted the game is. It worked on the Carentan map but I feel it's a one-trick pony - maps like that would get draining/dull fast. When a mission is too scripted it feels like myself and the AI are playing by completely different rules, which in a strategy game is just silly. I'm pretty sure any CoH mission can be beaten just by memorizing what event will happen when and preparing for it appropriately, which is probably true of many strategy games but usually far less obvious. I'd prefer clever AI which constantly adapted to events, such as was prevelent in the past (or seemingly so at least) but sadly dead now (as it is in many genres).

RTS was my very first gaming love. When I was 5 Dune II was released, then 9 when C&C came out and I played each to death - even though I sucked. This love continued up to Rome: TW, Emperor: Battle For Dune (great game), Red Alert II and Homeworld II but then mostly fell off as the games seemed to change somehow. Nowadays the strategy genre is mostly dominated by tower defense and DOTA-likes, which hold no interest. There's still the odd TW game which I'll always look into, and King Arthur provides fun as well. I have DoW II on Steam but fear it'll be like you say. I think my last hopes for the genre will be King Arthur II and World In Conflict, which I have heard great things about. Else I'll consign myself to the past and hope for Emperor and the Homeworld games to appear on GOG someday.

I did try Sup Com but bounced right off the campaign. I can tell it'd be great in skirmish but I don't have the impetous to play against AI or the skill to play against real people (I need my strategic pause). Do you know of any Sup Com good shoutcasts as I would find such a thing enjoyable? Also, I have Sup Com 2 sitting in my Steam list so is that worth a go?

I honestly never tried SupCom 2, it was apparently alot more C&C.

Network Hub
    Dota 2 again, managed to win my third game against humans. Surprisingly enough only one guy raged out and nobody left. Still also playing Lands of Lore 1 with a bit of Might and Magic 6.

I honestly never tried SupCom 2, it was apparently alot more C&C.
    I did. It was fun

Network Hub
    I finally got around to playing VVVVVV. The direct result of this is that I am now officially insane. I'm going to grow a beard and tie a bone in it.

A mere five minutes with VVVVVV is more horrible then every horror game ever made combined. This is because the game is made out of pure evil and it compels you to complete it and all side-challenges even if you don't want too. Do not let this game on your hard drive.

Now I must go back to pounding on my desk and booming "STOP DYING LITTLE SPACEMAN!" at my monitor.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Just did a fresh install of Fallout with the FIXT patch/mod pack. Some screen flickering in the main menu, but it seems to be solid once in the game itself. Though it looks way uglier at 1024x600 than it does at 1920x1080 (which is what I last played one of the originals at). Still, it's better than 640x480.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Trine 2, just before the final level.

My word this is lovely, very much like the first but with a number of new hazards, puzzles, enemies, etc.
    The art has also been cranked up a notch and whilst the colours are a little garish in places the overall look is fantastic with new themed areas lifting it above the first in variety many times.

Highly recommended to all, especially fans of the first.

Trine 2 is also quantifiably better thought out, gone are the puzzle breaking hidden items which you can equip, gone is the pointless mana bar, gone are compound death traps you can only solve through agility (except 1 you can bypass using the knights charge).
    Yes I miss the knight picking things up and throwing them, but eh.

If Trine was ever too twitchy for you Trine 2 fixed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I did. It was fun
    That game is pure chaos, hard but it's a lot of fun, seeing that Fire-breathing mecha T-Rex barbeque the enemies forces is priceless.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Trine 2 is also quantifiably better thought out, gone are the puzzle breaking hidden items which you can equip, gone is the pointless mana bar, gone are compound death traps you can only solve through agility (except 1 you can bypass using the knights charge).
    Yes I miss the knight picking things up and throwing them, but eh.

If Trine was ever too twitchy for you Trine 2 fixed it.
    All very true, I'd forgotten some of that from the first. Bar the final level of the first game which was not something I was keen on.

Just completed the game now and it wrapped up well :]

CoH is a game I should get back to playing: I only logged 4h in it because of some graphics issues which only appeared around Mountebourg, some kind of black squares IIRC that would not let me see part of the battlefield.

I've fired up Bit.Trip Runner for the first time yesterday. I "die" only marginally less than in VVVVVV but I really don't understand why they want you to replay the whole level from the beginning every freaking time you make a mistake. Took me 20m just to get through level 1-3 (yes I'm that bad) - unless a miracle happens chances are I won't be sticking with it much longer. Too bad because I love the art style.
    Last edited by alms; 08-04-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: wrong level
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post

I've fired up Bit.Trip Runner for the first time yesterday.

One of the worst games I've ever played.

I'd elaborate further but I already started an epic rant thread about how much I hate this game over at the steam forums, and the thread is still going strong (something I'm kind of proud of just because I hate this game so much).

So just go there and read my thoughts on why it sucks:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2288861

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    All very true, I'd forgotten some of that from the first. Bar the final level of the first game which was not something I was keen on

Just completed the game now and it wrapped up well :]
    On the second to last level of Trine 2 now... And the reason I know that is I was forced to look up a walkthrough. It'd basically been a really good challenge, with the puzzles being just difficult enough to make me stop and think. But I feel like its only recently crossed into ridiculous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Playing the remake of Halo 1...man this game has aged quite well in my opinion. The levels are absolutely massive compared to what I'm used to in most modern day FPS games, I'm playing on the 3rd difficulty level up and it's just the right challenge. Plus the included new side story is really interesting if you like Halo lore. Couple that with (relatively) decent AI, a LOT of on screen enemies and some satisfying weapons it's adding up to be a great experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Playing the remake of Halo 1...man this game has aged quite well in my opinion. The levels are absolutely massive compared to what I'm used to in most modern day FPS games, I'm playing on the 3rd difficulty level up and it's just the right challenge. Plus the included new side story is really interesting if you like Halo lore. Couple that with (relatively) decent AI, a LOT of on screen enemies and some satisfying weapons it's adding up to be a great experience.
    Halo was one of the best FPS games of its time for precisely those reasons, even on the Xbox.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Especially on the Xbox! (in that it came out in 2001 and had great split screen)

Seriously, now with the upgraded graphics it plays like a really modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    (something I'm kind of proud of just because I hate this game so much).
    So that was your thread? I'd read through it yesterday, just after I gave up on 1-4, with a smile on my face. My favorite part was when someone announced that he liked the game because after two years he became good at it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am playing Mass Effect 3, and it is really rather good.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.