Page 24 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634741245241024 ... LastLast
    first time on the rps server in tf2 last night, I was the pyro that 1) guarded the intelligence (successful) 2) tried to sneak up behind groups of the enemy (some success) and 3) frequently attempted to charge into the nearest enemy heavy (no success).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I have got back into playing Mass Effect 2. This would be my 5th attempt at a run-through (3 complete, 1 of which on insanity, and a failed fourth attempt due to boredom and work). I hate that I love this game. I have other games to play, dammit.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I gave Titan Quest a go the other day and while it's still as fun as ever it's not that fun playing solo, at least as not as fun as with others. Anyone wanna try some multi-player?

Portal 2. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
    It's not the groundbreaking game that the original was but it'd be wrong of me to expect otherwise.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastBaron View Post
    I gave Titan Quest a go the other day and while it's still as fun as ever it's not that fun playing solo, at least as not as fun as with others. Anyone wanna try some multi-player?
    Im interested. Sent you a PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, f***ing awesome game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Doom 3. No mods or fixes, just the vanilla version in 4:3. Awesome, manly game!

I came across my Requiem: Avenging Angel disc so I thought I'd see if it was as fun as I remember. Update the graphics, add achievements and you've got something that would sell well on consoles today. It was ahead of its time, the levels don't allow for much exploration if any at all, frequent checkpoints, the guns take up the entire lower right quadrant of the screen, you don't get a choice on what new abilities you get drip-fed and NPC interactivity is limited to pressing a key to move through pre-set conversations. It made me smile almost as much as the advertisements for Uprising 2, Meridian 59, Heroes Of Might and Magic 3 and Army Men 2 that were shown during installation.

I'm finding it entertaining though, it's a laugh killing enemies with swarms of locusts, boiling their blood, turning them into pillars of salt, possessing them so you can turn their weapons against their friends, making them your friend so you can have a helper that works better as another target than a helpful partner and activating a kind of bullet time so you can zip behind and shoot them in the bum before they jump up onto a crate which is a popular AI routine. It's more fun than the Jedi powers in Jedi Knight. Visually it's a mixed bag with well modelled enemies (that you can shoot bits off of when you kill them!) and guns on sterile environments though there are some areas that are pleasing to look at. On the guns again, the machinegun may be a bit weedy and the grenade launcher, umm, sucks but there's a tri-barrelled shotgun and a sniper rifle that I really like. Hold down the button and it auto zooms, let go to fire and you quickly click and hold again to stay zoomed. Haven't missed a shot yet.

Here is probably something of a unpopular opinion: Having replayed Halo: CE and Half-Life in the past six months, Halo: CE is the better game.

Otherwise, having just finished Half-Life, I am now playing through Half-Life 2, some Team Fortress 2 here and there, Psychonauts and sidhe's Shatter. Considering playing through Opposing Force and Blue Shift, never played those before, anybody think it is worth it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TaroYamada View Post
    Otherwise, having just finished Half-Life, I am now playing through Half-Life 2, some Team Fortress 2 here and there, Psychonauts and sidhe's Shatter. Considering playing through Opposing Force and Blue Shift, never played those before, anybody think it is worth it?
    yes, if you enjoyed Half-Life, I think you'll enjoy Opposing Force (except, probably, for the end boss). Blue Shift is fine too, but a bit more forgettable.

Opposing force is definitely worth it. My memories are pretty hazy by now, but I think it adds a new gameplay element or two. It's a great ride, anyway.

Blue Shift I wouldn't recommend, but if you want more after completing OF you might as well give it a go. I remember it being pretty shit, but that might be a bit harsh. I think it's generally considered to be fairly uninspired though.

Call me a bit late to the party, but I just picked up The Longest Journey for $2.50 on Steam. Downloading now, intend to play it through to the end.

Otherwise, a lot of Starcraft II. Masters is close, I can feel it. I've been Diamond for ages, after climbing my way up from the abyss that is Bronze at release.

Frozen Synapse is up there, too. I mean, what a game. If Chess was played on a randomized board, with a handful of randomly-chosen pieces (maybe 2 knights and a bishop for one side, a pawn and two rooks for the other, you get what I'm saying), and you gave those pieces guns, that's Frozen Synapse.

Finally, some "Wonderful End of the World" and "AAAAAaaaAAAaa" (also picked up at a discount) round out my playlist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I actually liked Opposing Force more than HL1, as it focused more on fights with other humans, and I felt those were the best fights in HL1.

I'd point to Opposing Force as an excellent example of what an FPS expansion pack should do. That is, if anyone made them anymore.

Network Hub
    Right now I'm putting time into TF2 again, as well as messing around with King Arthur and Frozen Synapse. Playing Age of Wonders: SM too and getting my arse kicked by it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    Right now I'm putting time into TF2 again, as well as messing around with King Arthur and Frozen Synapse. Playing Age of Wonders: SM too and getting my arse kicked by it.
    King Arthur seems quite fun but the camera and UI just seems custom designed to stop you being able to easily see what you're doing. Is there any way even to see unit destinations once you've sent them on their way? Genuinely don't understand why they didn't just wholesale steal the total war UI.

Network Hub
    The most there seems to be for that is the blue line on the ground that appears just after you've sent someone somewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    The blue line was all I ever saw, and I can't remember if there's ever a way to see that again after giving the initial order or if you just have to remember where you sent a unit.
    It's not too important having exact troop placement though, as tactics don't come into it anywhere like as much as they do in a Total War game. About the only thing to work with is knowing what units should fight in which environments. For example, heavy infantry will often get their ass kicked if they fight in a forest.

Playing my Count of Monte Cristo game again and again and again and again, making changes suggested by beta testers

I tried Sanctum in coop.
    I've played the first missions of Frozen Synapse too.
    The steam summer sale left me with a bigger backlog so I'll have to get on with it.