Page 246 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296346746 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,920 of 23075
    I finally completed Serious Sam HD: TFE. I had finished it in co-op with a friend, but never single player. I still love the game to bits, especially in shiny HD. I find it only rarely comes close to being repetitive and the final boss is still magnificent.

Slightly out of character for me, I have been collecting Steam achievements in a couple of games. I now have all of the Plants vs Zombies achievements and have two left in Audiosurf. I fear I may be becoming obsessive in my old age.

Talking of in character, I took advantage of GoG giving away Fallout (although I do own it anyway) and tried to play it again. Unfortunately I think I have a mental disconnect with RPGs, I can't seem to get into the right mindset to enjoy them. I end up treating them as a mix of puzzle and mechanical click through all the possibilities and end up getting frustrated with not getting anywhere. This puzzles me a lot as I feel they should be perfect games for me.

I have tidied up a few unfinished games of Civ IV and pottered around some more in Dungeons of Dredmor.

I have also restarted Batman:AA. Fortunately I had only played an hour or two previously before GFWL lost my saves. I am finding it very disjointed. Sneak about a little, then use the detective mode a bit, then kapow some goons, then leap around. Each individual segment is lovely, but I am not finding that the game hangs together very well. Does it become more integrated and smooth as the game progresses?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Avernum - the first Spiderweb game I've put any serious time into since Exile III. It keeps things pretty simple and focuses on entertaining combat and the freedom to explore a world stuffed with interesting nooks and crannies. I chose this over Grimrock in my choice of old-school RPG for the month and so far I have no regrets.

Also still playing League of Legends with the RPS folk. I seem to be on a depressing losing streak when I play with them though.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amusingthebrood View Post
    I am finding it very disjointed. Sneak about a little, then use the detective mode a bit, then kapow some goons, then leap around. Each individual segment is lovely, but I am not finding that the game hangs together very well. Does it become more integrated and smooth as the game progresses?
    I assumed you where talking about Arkham City there and comparing it to Asylum. I actually found Asylum fitted together pretty nicely (getting sidetracked finding Riddler trophies aside) whereas Arkham City suffered a bit in comparison (depsite it's many improvements) by opening up too much and hanging more loosely together. Asylum pretty much continues cyclically between sneaky bits, punchy bits and detective bits but as you go a bit further on you'll also get boss bits, which are a mix of quite cleverly done and horribly tedious and repetitive.

After bouncing from game to game I've decided to start playing Mount and Blade: Warband.
    Mind you I've only played the tutorial but great things are afoot or ahoof if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I assumed you where talking about Arkham City there and comparing it to Asylum. I actually found Asylum fitted together pretty nicely (getting sidetracked finding Riddler trophies aside) whereas Arkham City suffered a bit in comparison (depsite it's many improvements) by opening up too much and hanging more loosely together. Asylum pretty much continues cyclically between sneaky bits, punchy bits and detective bits but as you go a bit further on you'll also get boss bits, which are a mix of quite cleverly done and horribly tedious and repetitive.
    Nope purely about Asylum, I don't have City (and am a long way behind the leading edge of shiny new games). From what you say I'm not overly optimistic, but I'll keep on going as it is all nicely done. And I get to be Batman. And punch goons in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I warned you about that game bro. I told you dog.

Edit: Wait, you're the bundle guy. Did you get it in one of those bundles? That's at least better than buying it by itself and getting burned with nothing else to try.
    I had bought the game before you guys posted about it. I also heard about others having a rough start who eventually came to like it, so I'm willing to giving it another try, if not for anything else, because it tries to do things differently.

Desktop Dungeons can be a bit hard to get used to in the beginning, but that is offset by a tutorial that introduces the player to basic gameplay.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    Just finished DNF last night. Need to decide on what to tackle next.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    So I finished my playthrough of Avernum on torment. I even got all the achievements (except for the find 40 caches one, as even I'm not OCD enough to subject myself to scouring the world for hidden treasure). It was pretty awesome. I can't remember the last time a game this large held my interest for so long (I usually get tired of open world RPGs by the end and take a break, but I've pretty much played nothing but this since release).

My only two complaints were that some of the boss battles weren't as well thought out as the ones in later spiderweb games (you can kind of tell that this was Vogel's first game in a lot of areas) and there were a few too many trash mobs as the game wore on (I don't mind this early and mid game when leveling is important, but constant combat can become a nuisance late game). Other than this, though, I really loved the game overall.

Word of advice: maxing out first aid is well worth it. While some might say it's a junk trait because it doesn't help you in combat, mana potions are incredibly rare in this game and the ones you do find have to be saved for difficult and long battles. So having health/energy restored after each fight (which is what the first aid skill does) will literally shave hours off of your play through that would otherwise be wasted having to return to towns after every single fight to restore health/energy. The min/max power gamer in me initially ignored first aid, but by mid game I was so sick of returning to towns that I eventually broke down and started investing in it (which made the game much more enjoyable in the long run).
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 26-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I kicked League of Legends out again. For good this time. The fact that all 14 million players think they're God's gift to the game wouldn't be so aggravating if even one knew what the mini-map was for. Wanna give your team pointers? Better not; any criticism might penetrate the thick veil of stupidity each player purposely dons (you can identify it by their speech patterns: "hurp" "dat" and "stfu" are tell-tale signs) long enough for them to realize hey, you actually have a point... At which point they will likely do the best they can to destroy any fun anyone else might have had, since that's way easier than actually playing well.

I'm sure Diablo will usurp my multiplayer interests in a month, but in the meantime I'll probably be installing and uninstalling Steam games until I find one that holds my interest. I should really get back to Grimrock, but I dropped some of the spell scrolls and I don't think I remember what rune combinations to use now.

Still Warbanding. I'm terrible at it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I kicked League of Legends out again. For good this time. The fact that all 14 million players think they're God's gift to the game wouldn't be so aggravating if even one knew what the mini-map was for. Wanna give your team pointers? Better not; any criticism might penetrate the thick veil of stupidity each player purposely dons (you can identify it by their speech patterns: "hurp" "dat" and "stfu" are tell-tale signs) long enough for them to realize hey, you actually have a point... At which point they will likely do the best they can to destroy any fun anyone else might have had, since that's way easier than actually playing well.

I'm sure Diablo will usurp my multiplayer interests in a month, but in the meantime I'll probably be installing and uninstalling Steam games until I find one that holds my interest. I should really get back to Grimrock, but I dropped some of the spell scrolls and I don't think I remember what rune combinations to use now.
    League of Legends is a game for people born with the ability to play it, if you're not you will be reminded constantly and called names only LoL Born will understand.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Kingdom of Amalur
    Warhammer 40.000: Spacemarine
    DOTA 2
    Skyrim

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gone through the Revenge campaign of Planeswalkers again using Kiora. Played best-of-five against everyone, lost to Kiora, Nissa (surprisingly good against Ancient Depths) and Gideon (only because of rubbish hands). Amusingly Karn is not too OP against Ancient Depths, I won that one 3-0. He is fast, but not fast enough to stop a kicked Rite of Replication hitting.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    League of Legends is a game for people born with the ability to play it, if you're not you will be reminded constantly and called names only LoL Born will understand.
    No, they'll hate you once you learn how to play, too. They'll hate you for dying one time at the beginning of the game, yet playing spectacularly for the remainder. They'll hate you for talking too much, or talking too little. In fact, saying they will hate you is a bit of a misnomer; the League of Legends community already hates you. I will admit that switching over from Warcraft 3 prepared me somewhat for the gameplay and the community, not that I'm particularly proud of that snippet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    DotA2 with some friends, now that they've also been invited, makes the game a whole lot more enjoyable, as well as the PSO2 Beta; dear lord the PSO2 Beta is destroying me, I used to have a great deal of interest for both The Secret World and Torchlight 2, but now, after tasting the heavenly delicacy that PSO2 is, I can imagine no other online RPG being able to sate my hunger. It is SO DAMN GOOD that making it F2P should be a sin punishable by death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I'd be perfectly fine only playing co-op games of DotA 2 for the rest of my "career" in this game. The game has a huge amount of stuff to check out and e-sports are kind of silly anyway so there's no need to listen to the raging wannabees, right?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    It is SO DAMN GOOD that making it F2P should be a sin punishable by death.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...-2s-f2p-model/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amusingthebrood View Post
    I finally completed Serious Sam HD: TFE. I had finished it in co-op with a friend, but never single player. I still love the game to bits, especially in shiny HD. I find it only rarely comes close to being repetitive and the final boss is still magnificent.
    Ahem, I think you mean to say that the ending is [obscenities very removed] magnificent. I took one look at the boss as soon as he appeared, confidently looked at my screen and said: "...fuck." Everything about that final run as well as the very ending of the fight is excellence.