Page 253 of 1134 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303353753 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 22674
    Activated Node
    I've been playing the Prologue campaign of Wing Commander Saga. It feels good to break out the old X-52 and blow up a few spaceships.

I do have a few gripes. The giganto walls of badly written prose between the missions gets a little much and I now know how much the interactions between missions on the ship added to the original games. Having said that the game is free and you can tell that a lot of work and love went into it so it feels wrong to complain. It is fun and I am enjoying it even though it isn't the Wing Commander I grew up with.

A quick hint while I am about it - exiting the mission once it says you have completed it doesn't finish it. You have to fly into the Wellington and keep going until the landing script kicks in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Can you mod that your weapons won't jam ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I don't think any sort of API has been made available and there's not much in the way of grassroots initiatives either. No mods that I'm aware of, or I'm sure the infamous respawn complaints would have been addressed by now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    You should be able to do so by adding "-GameProfile_UnlimitedReliability 1" to a shortcut to the game or under 'Properties -> Set Launch Options' in Steam. I've never tested it but the unlock all weapons one works fine. http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/942192-far-cry-2/cheats

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Also, having explosive weapons jam on you never gets old.
    Once saw a jeep coming down the road and I was slowly getting more and more belligerent towards them. So I walk out into it's path, take aim with my trusty M79 and fire... only for the shell to crawl out of the barrel and drop on the ground a few metres away. Hilarity ensued. And running, lot's of running.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BDH View Post
    I've been playing the Prologue campaign of Wing Commander Saga. It feels good to break out the old X-52 and blow up a few spaceships.

I do have a few gripes. The giganto walls of badly written prose between the missions gets a little much and I now know how much the interactions between missions on the ship added to the original games. Having said that the game is free and you can tell that a lot of work and love went into it so it feels wrong to complain. It is fun and I am enjoying it even though it isn't the Wing Commander I grew up with.

A quick hint while I am about it - exiting the mission once it says you have completed it doesn't finish it. You have to fly into the Wellington and keep going until the landing script kicks in.
    And on top of that the chapters are written in an eye-gouging font. Luckily the wall of text isn't continued in the main campaign, but I could never shake the feeling something was missing - space poker. Darkest Dawn does have plenty going for it though, I remember a mission where my wingmen were just vanishing one by one like we were in a horror movie. I didn't know what the hell was going on!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    And on top of that the chapters are written in an eye-gouging font.
    I do a lot of work with human machine interfaces and I don't think the issue is with the font. The problem is that with widescreen monitors the horizontal area means that your eyes don't scan the text as well so reading large volumes of text is quite mentally tiring. If the aspect ratio was switched the text would be a lot less intimidating. It is an issue with widescreen monitors (Sorry about that. I probably bored everyone in the room to death with that.)

Luckily the wall of text isn't continued in the main campaign
    That is excellent news.

Darkest Dawn does have plenty going for it though
    Yeah, I must say that the period spent in space is fun. It's a nice hybrid of Wing Commander and Freespace 2 combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Baldur's Gate remains great.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

The radar upgrade aug in DXHR is farking useless on PS3 on account of the fixed size of the UI element coupled with low resolution and high viewing distance. In fact the radar itself is less useful than it was without the aug. Want Praxis back :'(
    Last edited by Rii; 03-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Just started playing Jagged Alliance 1 for the first time. I know a lot of people say to skip it and start with JA2, but it seems pretty great so far. I'm still learning the mechanics and especially the interface. On Day 1 I started with a team of 3 mercs--two with decent shooting and one with decent medic skills--and promptly got 2 of them killed and had to run away. On Day 2 I picked up 3 new cheap mercs (Ivan is great, and I like that the drawback for him is that he only speaks Russian), and was able to take 2 territories. A few things I'm struggling with so far:

- It's really annoying that if I sneak up on a guy and shoot him in the face with a pistol he doesn't just die. So far I haven't been able to kill any enemies without at least taking some damage, even with better positioning and the initiative.
    - There's tons of stuff lying around but it seems to be pretty clunky to pick it all up, and there's very limited inventory space. I wish there were a quick way to grab all the stuff on the ground in the territories I hold and put it all in my general inventory. I especially wish there were a way to carry the extra vests my dead guys left behind.
    - Why can't I shoot from a crouch?
    - So far knives seem pretty useless. I tried to run up to an enemy and stab him, but it seemed much less effective than running up and shooting him. Maybe it's just because I still only have the crappiest mercs.

Activated Node
    Playing some Toy Soldiers after playing some Tin Soldiers.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Currently on a bit of a Spiderweb kick. Been playing through the Geneforge games. Currently on number 3. I know everyone says it's the worst of the lot, but I kind of like it. It's more story focused than the last two and you can also have non-shaped companions in your party (which is nice as the other Geneforge games can get a bit lonely, not really being party based games).

Plus, the combat design in this one is a leap or two above the last two (as good as Geneforge 1 and 2 are in terms of world building, the combat in them kind of sucks. Enemies are just kind of placed haphazardly around the map with no thought to strategy, and boss battles are basically just normal enemies with more hit points. But G3 has better boss battles so far and a few enemy encounters that are actually interesting).
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 03-05-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    With the ME3 Servers down I've been working through some of my backlog and decided to give Bulletstorm a go. Albeit I did play it briefly before, it didn't entirely gel with me, however I've got a better handle on the game more now, and I'm having a blast. The sniper rifle is a thing of beauty. Game looks spectacular as well. The graphics are up there with RAGE I'd say. Also Fem shep swearing it up like nobodies business (she so totally should of told the reapers she was doing to kill all their dicks). Definitely worth picking up if you don't own it already for shooter fun.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Obscure Node
    Currently playing Hitman Blood Money for the first time. It's been fun, ended up redoing missions a lot of the time and the mechanics continue to baffle me, where running past a dozen guards shooting at me to escape gives me an overall better rating than the other missions where I deal with the few times my cover was blown, leaving no survivors. Also I'm pretty sure an optional target survived because of a bug, he was stuck doing the same animation over and over after drinking poisoned alcohol that should have killed him. Still sneaking around, putting together a perfect plan, is good even if things going wrong is sometimes inconsequential and doing things what I think is well is unrewarded or fails for no obvious reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Finished Bionic Commando Rearmed on hard apparently, had no idea. It's a beautiful, technical and challenging game. I'd like to call it old school in its 3 lives to complete a chapter, but really with its checkpoints and infinite continues its brutal but fair. It's a game that you need to be good at to finish, a rarity.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone but it's an impressive work... Now I want the soundtrack on mp3.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The awful TES MMO news made me play Skyrim again. Did a clean reinstall, added some mods and resumed the journey.
    I forgot how damn good this game is. So beautiful and atmospheric too...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    DiRT 3. Wow this game is a LOT of fun.

I had another go at Legend of Grimrock because I found out you can play as Toorum. Did you know you can play as Toorum? This time around I opened all iron doors, but I missed about five secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    DiRT 3. Wow this game is a LOT of fun.
    It is fun isn't it? A lot of people hate on Dirt 3 because of the Gymkhana events, but personally they were my second favourite type of race.

The best fun in that game, I thought, is messing around in the Battersea compound trying to find all the hidden secrets. It also helps you practice your Gymkhana skills!

---

I've started Crysis 2, which I'm liking quite a lot. The game seems to give you more scope to play around with your suit than Crysis 1, which I very much appreciate.

Obviously the downside to it is that the game is a lot more linear than Crysis 1, but that's not bothering me at the moment

I've also nearly finished the wonderful puzzler that is Vessel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    "
    The game seems to give you more scope to play around with your suit than Crysis 1, which I very much appreciate"

What do you mean by this ?

You get to use 2 suit powers at once. But that still didn't get rid of the suck in that game
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles