Page 256 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356756 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,120 of 24106
  1. #5101
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,846
    Finished Bulletstorm,dumb a bricks,mad as frogs,sad there will never be a sequel but I'm never going to recommend it to anyone,reminded me of Trine oddly, in that it needed the refinement of a sequel to reach the dizzy heights of its potential, Trine got a sequel and as I imagined went for gold with it, we'll never know if People can Fly had the stones to make Bulletstorm all it could be.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  2. #5102
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Finished Bulletstorm,dumb a bricks,mad as frogs,sad there will never be a sequel but I'm never going to recommend it to anyone,reminded me of Trine oddly, in that it needed the refinement of a sequel to reach the dizzy heights of its potential, Trine got a sequel and as I imagined went for gold with it, we'll never know if People can Fly had the stones to make Bulletstorm all it could be.
    I disagree. I think more Bulletstorm would have had the opposite effect and instead be less good. I don't mean that as a slight against PCF, simply that any attempt to improve Bulletstorm would likely have meant you ended up with too much game.

    It worked for its length - any more and I think it would have outstayed its welcome.


  3. #5103
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,573
    Just finished the third map in Sanctum. It's a fun little game. There's a nice variety of enemies and turrets to build, and the maps allow for some different viable designs - but will punish you if you mess around. The maps take a long time to complete though, perhaps a little too long. After a couple of waves, there's not much to left to do but tinker with upgrades and fix small gaps in your defence, and as the health of the enemies seems to increase at the same rate as the damage output of your upgraded turrets, the waves become a somewhat repetitive after a while.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  4. #5104
    Obscure Node c4llum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    15
    i'm currently playing a great deal of super monday night combat and am, surprisingly, having a lot of fun. I downloaded it a while ago and gave it a try but did not come away impressed. But i decided to give it another try last week and it is actually pretty great. I can't comment on how it compares to the first as i never played that but i think it stands well on it's own. It kinda reminds me of TF2 with the low lethality and the cartoony, humorous attitude. It's not without it's flaws though. The interface could use some improvement and, crucially,the matchmaker leaves a lot to be desired; It could really do with a server browser or something. I have also been playing loads of tribes ascend, as usual and i am slowly re-playing portal 2, gods that game is good.

  5. #5105
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,693
    Started Bastion today. It's exactly as groovy as everyone says.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

  6. #5106
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,479
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Been dabbling with some co-op Magicka, specifically The Stars Are Left, but have been having some problems. For one thing, recent patching seems to have made the game more unstable. It had been very solid when I played through it with a friend last summer, but now it seems newly rickety again, with more random crashing than I'm comfortable with. They also seem to have rather viciously rebalanced the game, rendering shields nearly useless, depowering some of my favorite combinations, and generally making it incredibly difficult to kill anything. In all, it's remarkably frustrating for a return to a game I had previously adored. Advice welcome.
    Most of the spells learned from spellbooks are gone, if I remember correctly. Armors are very effective against most of the damage, just make sure to splash in (haha) some waterresistance. Many enemies react nicely to the lightning element (lightning-wall can be used offensively pretty often). But I have to agree, the DLC is harder than the original game. Stability-wise, I always had problems, so I count it as a plus that the checkpoints now actually work.

    Personally, I had the most problems with the mini-bosses and the end boss. But I've also heard reports from people who beat that last one in a few moments.
    Last edited by Squiz; 06-05-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Forum janitor in training.

  7. #5107
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    So that's Alpha Protocol done and I think I'm loving the game even more than before. In fact, I just started up Mass Effect 2 again with plans to take my infiltrator character from ME1 through, doing all the DLC content for the first time, and the controls feel weird. ME2 has more realistic weight to things than AP had, and I'm not sure I like it as much. Shepard feels very cumbersome to control and the camera does some awful things.

    Also the weird thing is that, although if I was asked to say which is the better game then I'd say ME2 I'd say AP is more fun to play and probably preferable. And that's discounting plannet scanning because I've used an editor to give me 500000 of each mineral because fuck that minigame until it dies (savegame editors ftw!).
    I think I prefer the style of AP. How there are so few conversations where you can go back to the main part of a tree and select each option - there's no "Investigate" option like there tends to be in ME games. And I hate that option because the universes Bioware creates aren't interesting enough for me to care, especially on a replay, and I'm only going through it in case it influences other things. In fact I think I'm going to try playing ME2 all the way through without once doing an "Investigate", wonder how that'll work out.

  8. #5108
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,510
    The problem with Mass Effect is that it never truly embraced neutrality or alternative thinking to Space Jesus or Earth Rocks, you sux! philosophies. Take for example the ending to Mass Effect 1. [Spoilers hooooo!]I chose to hold back the fleet to give the best shot at Sovereign.[/spoilers unhoooo!] Tactically, it seemed like the most sensible thing to do, but come the next game, I apparently hate aliens. Wha!? No I don't! I like aliens, that's why I tried to save them! Nope, just get lumped in with the renegade option and have done. I was pretty disappointed by that. More games need to embrace a neutral or alternative thinking, or hey, grey and grey morality. There shouldn't be a right or wrong way of dealing with something, merely significant consequences one way or another.

    I've yet to play Alpha Protocol, although it does sit installed. I'm eagerly awaiting the play-through because I'm told it delivers this well.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  9. #5109
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    There shouldn't be a right or wrong way of dealing with something, merely significant consequences one way or another.
    That was the neutral option, and it had consequences: You let an alien fleet take the brunt of the attack. Funny, that!

    Furthermore, the end result is you lose Asari fleet numbers but gain Alliance fleet numbers. Also, the Asari don't like you very much. Grey and grey morality!

    But seriously. Neutral doesn't mean no consequences, and "neutral" consequences don't mean you can't get chewed out for what you did.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  10. #5110
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,510
    I'm not saying I wasn't expecting a reaction - I knew the decision I was making, I knew the casualties that were at stake. What I was criticising was that there was no discernible difference between that and the renegade option. Now, I'm not saying that neutral will always be completely in the middle, it'll obviously wobble a little bit, but there's a big difference between doing what is considered to be tactically appropriate to telling them they can all go die.

    In Mass Effect 2, it would've been good if the asari did just go "Yeah, we hate you", but then have say the Turians or Salarians, both tactically minded, going "Well, we might not like the way you handled it, but you did make a tactical decision that ultimately paid off." Instead, I'm the same human bastard as I am if I went renegade. If the response is "Well, it amounted to the same thing and that is reflected", I can definitely appreciate why that's been said, however I think this is more a limitation of development consideration rather than intent. It felt a bit ham-fisted and I really felt the gut-punch of the reaction in 2, but I also wanted to scream back "But I did it because it tactically made sense, you idiots!"
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  11. #5111
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Just finished Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing's Grand Prix mode.

    Total gameplay time (including tutorial, a few missions, etc): 1hr 21m

    Dafuq?


  12. #5112
    Network Hub DzX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I've yet to play Alpha Protocol, although it does sit installed. I'm eagerly awaiting the play-through because I'm told it delivers this well.
    That it does, though at the expense of everything else.

  13. #5113
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by DzX View Post
    That it does, though at the expense of everything else.
    Not really. The game has flaws (some boss fights, AI, dodgy cover system) but I enjoy the hell out of it and the core gameplay is perfectly good.

  14. #5114
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    54
    The weird thing about ME's morality system was that renegade wasn't "evil" and paragon wasn't "good". They were both good; Shepard's a big old dumb space hero, he sort of has to be good. But being good obviously isn't really as simple as just deciding to be good. The game doesn't really let you go "well all those fuckers can just go die then" because you don't get that much freedom. The only real choice you can make is one of two "good" options.

    spoils for the end of the first game below

    With that in mind I think it makes perfect sense to have the universe assume Shepard let the council die because he hates aliens or as some kind of politicking. The character obviously doesn't make the decision for that reason (they're pretty much not actually allowed to by the very game itself), but it's just what people would think.

  15. #5115
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilliput King View Post
    The weird thing about ME's morality system was that renegade wasn't "evil" and paragon wasn't "good". They were both good; Shepard's a big old dumb space hero, he sort of has to be good. But being good obviously isn't really as simple as just deciding to be good. The game doesn't really let you go "well all those fuckers can just go die then" because you don't get that much freedom. The only real choice you can make is one of two "good" options.
    Yeah. It's Captain Picard vs Dirty Harry.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #5116
    Lesser Hivemind Node Labbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    610
    After remapping the controls+camera to something sensible, I'm having a blast with Dungeon Siege 3. Switching between spear wielder and fire demon has never been more fun!

  17. #5117
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Spent some Blue Coins last week on the Reinforcements Pack for Renegade Ops despite not taking to the game too well.

    Tried it again today, used Crystal (one of the DLC characters) and I had fun.


  18. #5118
    Obscure Node Museli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    13
    I've just completed the rather funny DLC Quest. It's only around 40 minutes in length, but I enjoyed every one of them.

  19. #5119
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I've yet to play Alpha Protocol, although it does sit installed. I'm eagerly awaiting the play-through because I'm told it delivers this well.
    Alpha Protocol has some rough edges, but it tries to do some interesting things, and though I wouldn't say it hits the mark on all those elements, it's definitely a good effort and a game worth playing through.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  20. #5120
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,246
    From third place in UEFA league i dropped to 16th.. It makes me sad lol,and i usually lose with 0-1,my defense suck big time.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •