Page 275 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285325375775 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 24129
    Network Hub
    I'm going a little more two-hander at the moment, switching between my gun and sword weapon set as I feel like it. Pretty fun.

Barbarian in Diablo 3 was a lot of fun, especially when I got Leap and could jump right into a crowd and start hammering things to death, sending skellingtons flying. When I get the full game, that might well be the class I take to the end of Normal first.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Just decided to continue my controller rampage and played "and yet it moves", Its well made is somewhat self contained, but the focus helps you know you are not lost.

Just got a monkey to hit himself in the face with his nuts.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Just finished playing about 3 hours of Tribes: Ascend with a friend. Very good fun. Rarely feels unfair, mostly feels satisfying. I can see how it can get a bit pay to win, but it seems fairly level so far. It makes a welcome departure from BF3 at any rate.
    There be an RPS server people play on. I can see how people can percive it as pay to win, but not quite. There are a couple of blatant upgrade weapons (the Tech's thumper and the Raider's Plasma gun) but most weapons when gained are not really that much better then the opening weapons, more sidegrades. The evil temptation to pay mainly comes with the need to unlock stuff yet you need to upgrade what you already have.
    Last edited by Scumbag; 20-05-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I know, I spent a bit of that time tinkering. I was actually gonna hop on the RPS server last night, but no-one was on. Besides, playing with my friend was pretty amusing, especially for a short time at the beginning when we were on opposing teams and hilarious skiing past each other. I'll be sure to jump on board!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Huh, playing MP3 still and I'm coming across some weird stuff now. Especially the flashbacks to NYC, anyone who remembers the tramps from the apartments in 2 will probably nostalgia here. Some cheesy jokes too which fit, and I could very much imagine Remedy having something like it. Few pretty damn hard parts too, but nothing frustratingly so. I think when RPS does a WIT they'll be a bit upset over how much the controls get taken away (there's like 4 hours of cutscenes) but it's nothing annoying like RE4, stuff actually HAPPENS in them. That's not to say there isn't plenty of gunplay either - there is. Tried the multiplayer too, it's pretty fun so far, leaping over an guard rail in slo mo, turning round and gunning down a friend as I start to flip is so fun.

Dark Souls again, gentlemen

Holy shit, I thought I'm gonna barf looking at that Gaping Dragon in the sewers. Big, headless with a ripped out torso and exposed rib-cage for a mouth. My little brother played with my character for a while and reached that part. He's pretty good at at so, I wouldn't worry (he fought and killed the goddamned thing in his playthrough without Solaire). But, he wasted all my fire arrows, so I had to take the controller back and killed that thing proper with my Halberd and followed his advice by backing the fuck up after hitting that thing twice.

Also, I went back to the Asylum to fight tubby again. Only this time, it wasn't a fair fight...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I loaded up Mercs 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Never played the mercs 2,how are they. From videos game look quite fun,even if its flawed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have been playing some Skyrim. I've played about 45 hours of the game and I've reached the stage where I just want to go back and play Oblivion instead every time I start playing.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Never played the mercs 2,how are they. From videos game look quite fun,even if its flawed.
    Look at the image I posted. That sums it up.

It's the single shittest console port I've encountered so far. I can barely read the UI.

Network Hub
    Torchlight 2, having a blast so far, despite having done the beta about three times, it was still fun each time.

Started playing Bad Company 2 again as I feel I want to buy BF3 and do not have any money for it. Is it the same kinda thing?

Also, is there an RPS server?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Back to the Future.
    Your mission Mr Mcfly, should you choose to accept it - team up with your best friend from an alternate timeline, then ignore his wishes and destroy his young self's life whilst condemning his wife to a lifetime of unhappiness in a dingy apartment smelling of cat pee, all because you think your reality is more valid than his.

Seriously, I felt like a complete asshole.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I have been playing some Skyrim. I've played about 45 hours of the game and I've reached the stage where I just want to go back and play Oblivion instead every time I start playing.
    May I ask why?
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    May I ask why?
    I suppose that, to begin with, for Oblivion I have gathered together a collection of mods that makes the game play pretty much how I want. For Skyrim I cannot yet find these mods and furthermore because a lot of the RPG mechanics have changed in Skyrim it's far from clear that Skyrim mods will ever be able to match Oblivion for me. And I don't have enough time to make my own.

Another thing is that I think that the way things worked in Oblivion was much more to my liking, particularly the magic system and the spellcasting. I loved being able to instantly fling the spell I wanted without having to unequip anything, and having a huge variety of spells that I could tinker with. Skyrim's magic would require a massive overhaul to get it to the same level of quality as vanilla Oblivion, and it would be a big effort to try to work out which if any of the magic overhaul mods to use. By contrast, I found it very easy to find and select a spell system tweak mod for Oblivion which worked in a way that I knew I'd like, because the initial system is so robust.

Finally there's the stats and skills system, which again was more expressive in Oblivion and easier to tweak to my liking. A big problem with Skyrim is that it doesn't allow expressive definition of your character through your stats. A good example is restoration. No matter what you choose at the start of the game, pretty much every Skyrim character is of a roughly equal restoration skill, and will advance at broadly the same rate if they use the skill the same amount. And restoration is obviously a good skill to use. I can't imagine a character not making significant use of restoration. Restricting your restoration use because you've decided that your character is bad at it is just the wrong way round for an RPG system: you should define your character through the mechanics and then best play should follow naturally from the mechanics.

Compare instead an Oblivion Breton with Restoration major skill and Magic focus with an Oblivion Orc with Restoration minor skill and Combat focus. The Orc starts out much worse than the Breton at restoration and even with the same amount of skill use will continue to be much worse throughout the game. Add to that as well that the Orc is probably not going to use Restoration as much because he's not as good at it and will be relying on alternative strategies.

This sort of problem persists throughout the Skyrim skill system. The character that I have played the most with hasn't really developed anything like the way I wanted her to, because the game didn't allow me to make her good at the things I wanted her to be good at, and it turned out that using other skills was just better play so I used them instead. And next time I play I will probably do the same things because the mechanics drive me in a particular skill direction. Add to that as well that the removal of attributes in Skyrim gives you even less scope to define your character. Indeed, I use a mod in Oblivion that makes my character extremely poor in an attribute if she is extremely poor at its three associated skills. The corresponding theme in Skyrim just doesn't exist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I can appreciate the difference between the two, but I hate stat-based identification, especially when even what you describe is itself not "expressive definition of your character through stats", but of informed ability. Your Breton and Orc argument, for instance, proves that it's not the self-definition of your character by the usage of your stats, but the fact that you selected primary skills at the beginning of the game, pre-determining your lot in life.

Ultimately, the problem I see is not that your stats are determined one way or another, but that you're almost immediately overpowered, and neither Skyrim nor Oblivion have been competent at game balance.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    On Althea's reccomendation (yup, I'm putting this all on you), I've been playing some Divinity II: DKS and...

so far it's pretty good! Not very far at all yet, but impressions are fairly good so far. If it keeps this up, I will feel like I should have paid more, which is weird.

Obscure Node
    playing rambo IV

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Diablo 3.
    The writing and some of the voices are abysmal. I don't usually care for that in games but here they're so bad they hurt, and the same was true for Starcraft 2. Hey, at least it's not as bad as Heart Of The Swarm's leaked ending!
    I'm also annoyed by the awful quest rewards.
    Otherwise it's fucking brilliant. I'll play it for years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I can appreciate the difference between the two, but I hate stat-based identification, especially when even what you describe is itself not "expressive definition of your character through stats", but of informed ability. Your Breton and Orc argument, for instance, proves that it's not the self-definition of your character by the usage of your stats, but the fact that you selected primary skills at the beginning of the game, pre-determining your lot in life.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, but I think that pre-determining how good your character is going to be at X is totally all right and good for RPGs. It's not exactly necessary; Skyrim attempts to have you define your character through perks throughout the game. This doesn't work particularly well, but it's not necessarily the concept that is bad, just the execution. I think it's harder to execute as well: you need to care about game balance, and Bethesda games don't really care about game balance and I reckon they should try to avoid it as much as possible even.

I don't understand how you think you can define your character without doing it through stats. Sure, you can say "my character isn't very good at X", but unless the game mechanics reflect this, you're just wrong. Your character is good at X.