Page 285 of 1183 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385785 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,700 of 23649
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I tried playing that for the first time a couple of months ago. Is it just me, or hasn't the game actually received any patches since release? I can recognize the potential there but it sure feels awkward.
    I've never played a game with controls this... uh... "swampy", I suppose.

The storyline and dialogues are great though, and worth the pain of admission. Just make sure you adjust the mouse-sensitivity - you'll need several tries to do it.

On the plus side, I still really like the hacking mini-game.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    I've never played a game with controls this... uh... "swampy", I suppose.

The storyline and dialogues are great though, and worth the pain of admission. Just make sure you adjust the mouse-sensitivity - you'll need several tries to do it.

On the plus side, I still really like the hacking mini-game.
    It was instantly obvious that the game works far superior on 360 controller, so I quit with the mouse and keyboard right away. Also at least in the beginning the player character is a douchebag.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I've gone back to playing Just Cause 2. Goldeneye notwithstanding, why are games that are obviously inspired by James Bond so much better than games that actually feature James Bond? It's frustrating.

(Actually, that sort of ties in with discussing Alpha Protocol as well, I suppose. It's almost impossible to imagine a cross between Alpha Protocol and Just Cause 2, but that would be awesome. Especially if you got to be Bond.)
    Last edited by thegooseking; 31-05-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I've gone back to playing Just Cause 2. Goldeneye notwithstanding, why are games that are obviously inspired by James Bond so much better than games that actually feature James Bond? It's frustrating.

(Actually, that sort of ties in with discussing Alpha Protocol as well, I suppose. It's almost impossible to imagine a cross between Alpha Protocol and Just Cause 2, but that would be awesome. Especially if you got to be Bond.)
    I enjoyed the Goldeneye on the Wii, actually.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'm sure I remember reading quite some time ago that Avalanche were being drafted to do a Bond game, but it's been so long I can't remember if that was true or if it was just some people going "Oh my god, imagine if they did a Bond game!" enough times that it kind of sank in. At any rate, they're definitely working on JC3. Logically, they can only extend it either into space and into water (playable submarines and space ships would become a necessity) or more land. Or both. I don't mind. Just give me JC3.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    It was instantly obvious that the game works far superior on 360 controller, so I quit with the mouse and keyboard right away. Also at least in the beginning the player character is a douchebag.
    KB&M is a disaster in Alpha protocol, and I can't play shooters with a controller (tried 5 times to pass the shooting test at the beginning of the game with a 360 controller, never broke 40%, got quadruple that the first time I went back to KB&M) so I ultimately just gave up on the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Collecting policemen in Saints Row Three and throwing them off a bridge. It dosen't save game sessions though so they won't be there when I go back, but before I quit yesterday there were 57 treading water and shouting threats at me.

This is just dicking around stuff though, I've been re-decorating so not had time for any extended sessions. Although having said that I was throwing people off bridges for about three hours last night.
    But the next free time I have is bookmarked for finishing Psychonauts, about to start Black Velvetopia and have collected the rest of the disguise items so figure I must be nearing the end game.
    Last edited by sonson; 31-05-2012 at 01:21 PM.

I've played a little bit of Treasure Adventure Game, and so far it is just completely brilliant. The writing is light-hearted without being cheesy, the music is great, there are really neat environmental touches (phases for the moon, flickering letters on neon signs, etc...), and I'm a sucker for Metroidvanias. It's a free game, which just blows my mind. Especially in a world where Gish costs money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    78% through Saints Row the Third apparently. Got all 80 collectables now, own all properties, and I've got a few more things here and there to do as well as all but the first mission of Act 3 (I think).

Should I preorder Torchlight 2? something tells me it's better I don't...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    That is not a short amount of time! Blimey.

Anyhow, Binding of Isaac. Screw the original final final boss. Second time I've reached him with Eve in 24 hours, second time I died on his final form. Screw him. Screw him hard.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I've spent far too much time this week playing the Wrath of the Lamb expansion for Binding of Isaac. After several runthroughs, my feelings are somewhat mixed. There's a lot of neat stuff but some decisions really bother me. Spoilers below.

- The new items are generally all very good. There's a lot of fun new combinations you can try out and unlike the items in the base game there isn't really anything that you regret picking up. There's one exception to this though, Ipecac, which gives you exploding shots. The concept itself is great, but you have so little control over where your shots land, which means in cramped rooms it can backfire incredibly quickly. With a few adjustmens this could become one of the best items in the game, but as it is I'd rather just skip it and save myself the headache. On the other hand, Epic Fetus is absolutely amazing.

- The difficulty feels really wonky at the moment. Granted, due to the random nature of BoI the difficulty always varied between playthoughs, but you usually still got a sense of progression. With all the new monsters and room configurations you can run into some really nasty stuff very early on. In fact I'd say the early levels are now more challenging than the later ones, especially for low health characters. On the other hand, once you assemble a set of powerful items you're essentially unstoppable.

- Flight is now too common. Before WotL the ability to fly was very rare and subsequently very powerful. As far as I can tell the expansion added four new items with the flight ability, one of which almost always appears in shops. A large part of BoI's gameplay is adjusting your strategy to the layout of a room so having an item that completely trivializes this feels somewhat cheesy. Then again, some new rooms almost seem to require flight if you want to avoid damage.

- In general, the new items spawn a lot more often than the old ones. I don't actually mind this as it gives me a chance to play with all the new toys but I do hope the spawns are eventually changed around again. Finding the Holy Grail and the Prayer Card on every run gets tiresome rather quickly.

- I'm not really sold on Samson as a character so far. His rage ability is nice but it doesn't make up for his bad stats. Surviving the first few floors with him is very difficult, especially if you get the cellar instead of the basement. Giving him two hearts instead of one would do a lot to make him more viable.

- Likewise, I'm not too keen on the new final boss. His gimmick is that he shoots you every time you shoot him. Which sounds fine in theory but what it means is that anyone with a slow firing but highly damaging attack like Brimstone or Dr. Fetus will have a very easy time while anyone with Technology 2 will find it nearly impossible to beat him. Overall he also feels a bit easier than Satan, though that might just be because of the new powerful items you can get.

- There's a quite a few new bugs. Some of them are fairly minor like Samson showing up as Eve in the cutscenes. Others are really annoying though, such as unlocked items not showing up properly or enemies becoming immune to damage. I hope these get sorted out as soon as possible.

In the end, I'd still say it was a worthy purchase and I'd recommend it to anyone who owns BoI. WotL adds so many items, monsters and secrets that it almost feels like a completely new game again. However, I do think the expansion could have benefited from some additional playtesting.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 31-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Should I preorder Torchlight 2? something tells me it's better I don't...

What's your total playing time?

Probably not much more, I did log some hours in 2009 off Steam but I quit as soon as my first character died (hardcore it was) and never looked back... until a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I was in the final stages of my first attempt to beat the game in under 8h with a Destroyer but I took it too easy in the early stages doing quests, so I only hit level 32 at the deadline. Playing against the clock really added a new shiny layer of addictiveness to it, I was hurling my character right in the middle of massive heaps of monsters, at some point I was fighting against 2 champions (1 medea), 3 dark zealots + their team of blood disciples, a bunch of dragonkins and s**tload of enslaved (on hard) and trying to stay alive... that was thrilling.

So now I'm planning to beat Ordrak, retire this character, then do it all over again. I also have a L85 Vanquisher which is currently on floor 40 of the Shadow vault.

I'm worried. Whoever said this game is digital crack was downplaying it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Go ahead with the Pre-Order for Torchlight 2. You shall not regret it. Also, you get a spare copy of digital crack to send someone whose life you wish to ruin :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Wouldn't you know it... Right as Diablo 3 started to really grip me, Blizzard went and shit the bed again. Playing Nightmare with all this stuttering really is a nightmare, especially since I stopped playing co-op when 1 in 3 pubs decided it's ok to join and then AFK in the camp while I get slaughtered by superpowered mobs. I tried, Diablo, I really did... But I'll be jumping ship to Torchlight now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I now have 400 septims, a set of stolen steel armour, and have remembered that Nords have a greater power that can one-shot anything low-level. Time to kick some ass.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Splintercell Conviction became Super Meat boy for me. I'm at the army base right after disabling the Power thingy and now I have to get out of there with 30 soldier guys lurking around. The difficulty went from 5 to 10 in half a level. =/
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I'm attempting to play Diablo 3. Alas, error 30008 prevents me from starting a game. I can login just fine though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Splintercell Conviction became Super Meat boy for me. I'm at the army base right after disabling the Power thingy and now I have to get out of there with 30 soldier guys lurking around. The difficulty went from 5 to 10 in half a level. =/
    It helps if you just creep to the left then silent takedown anyone when they get too close to your shadows. Then mark and execute groups of 2 or 3 if you have upgraded your pistols to it. Rinse and repeat.
    The hardest part I found on that mission was when you finally get into the gatehouse and kill the lights everyone rushes you. Hit cover and pop out for shots.

I loved conviction. One of the few games that held me in for long enough to complete it. Same as ME2