Page 301 of 1051 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351401801 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,020 of 21012
    Played through Capsized. What a terrible game, right up there with Gish. It's baffling how it got such a positive WIT.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Played through Capsized. What a terrible game, right up there with Gish. It's baffling how it got such a positive WIT.
    No love for its physics gun? Gish, ugh, man that's harsh, next to meat boy that's a game I regret even having on my steam list(sorry Edmund McMillen, but I love Issac).
    I admit, the last few levels outstayed their welcome, I need to ask how did you play it? I played with a 360 pad, an when aiming suffered the mobility was vastly improved.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Come on, nothing is as bad as Gish.

Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars!
    The game was fun just messing around on pubs and lone-wolfing it. But now that I've found a friendly Australian Regiment, gosh is the game just amazing. Honestly, having more fun with my regiment doing line battles, sieges and just pubbing than I've had with any of those AAA amazing graphics games everyone buys. The steam sale has bumped the population up and now theres Aussie servers with 200+ people. And it seems like the population will stay even after the sale.

Not only is the game amazing, but that community. I don't know of many other communities that are as great as Napoleonics (RPS obviously is great, but its not a community for one game, its for many)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    While I'm waiting for my new components to arrive I've been playing mostly older games that my laptop can handle: X-Com, Puzzle Quest 2 and the like. Once I build my new rig I'll finally be able to catch up on the latest games I've been holding off on for not being able to run them at the quality I prefer; first up will be Total War: Shogun 2.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

But...but what about Napoleon?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Hegemony: Gold, still. It's absolutely fascinating, and I'm still getting my head around this peculiar mixture of RTS tactical battles and slow real time empire management all on a seamless map. I've got enough of an idea what I'm doing, now, that I'm considering a restart to set myself up better. Garrisons are important, walls are important, and I think I finally understand the supply line/logistics elements that are critical to success in this game. A more careful expansion, and staying away from traditional RTS unit-blobbing tactics (which the AI circumvents to deadly effect) should yield better results, I hope. Have I mentioned this thing is fucking brilliant?

Also, winding down Dead Island in co-op. It's an interesting creature. Still a little janky, but the melee combat is great, the open world is huge and well-populated, the crafting is a lot of fun, and the plot is actually half-interesting. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by vinraith; 11-06-2012 at 04:30 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    But...but what about Napoleon?!
    I still have the save files. I'll see if I can still finish my AAR with a new OS when I build the new PC.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

For my online fix, I am playing Team Fortress 2, as per usual. I have a tendency to only play one online multi-player game at a time as I find single player experiences (or co-op campaigns) to be more rewarding, but for a while I was playing Duke Nukem Forever's online + TF 2. I stopped though.

For single player stuff, I am largely playing Bastion and Psychonauts right now, with a bit of Metro 2033 sprinkled throughout. I have to take more breaks from Metro 2033 cause it freaks me out.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Finished the second Blackwell game. It was pretty good. These really are the perfect adventure games for casual play--the writings good, the puzzles are neither too easy nor too hard, and they usually take around 3 to 4 hours to complete. It was light, but with an incredibly dark subtext, actually, given that it's a prequel and the lead character from this game eventually ends up dying in a mental institute (I liked how they hinted at how this might go down via the main story line, but never really went there explicitly).

Still I would like to know more about what happened to her. Hopefully one of the remaining games in the series might explain it more.

So I finished Catherine. I have to say I really didn't appreciate the whole "oh, did we say that the Cathedral was the end? Haha, no, have another half-dozen levels and narrative sequences on top of that" thing. I guess I like to know where I am in a game. On the plus side, all that 'additional' content did serve largely to elevate the game in my esteem, not least of all because quibbling about how unrealistic some of the narrative twists and options are seems a bit silly once the game firmly and deliberately jumps the tracks into batshit insanity. Here again, tho, the game doesn't know when to stop. Mutton was a perfectly fine end boss -- an entertaining standout amidst a whole menagerie of entertaining bosses (I vote "Child with Chainsaw" for #1) but then they had to follow it up with his far less interesting and entirely redundant demon form. I'm pretty sure my reaction upon realising that Mutton wasn't the last boss was literally "Oh for fuck's sake." And after all that I didn't get to meet Ashtoroth!

Anyway. I got the 'Freedom - True' ending, i.e. shacking up with neither Catherine or Katherine in the end. Kinda fitting in light of my own /foreveralone status. Or perhaps it should be depressing: I'm unfit even for videogame relationships! Actually the commentary accompanying that ending resonated quite strongly for me; I'm not sure whether to attribute that to coincidence, the 'Horrorscope effect', or a heretofore unsuspected degree of sophistication in the game's alignment mechanics.

Of course I checked out the other seven endings on Youtube. The 'Catherine - True' ending is definitely the most entertaining, although I appreciated the 'Katherine - Good' ending for giving us a look at Katherine with her hair down, so to speak. I guess I felt a bit cheated by the game in that respect, I knew nothing about our past relationship and had to judge only by this endlessly sighing and controlling woman currently in front of me. Who knew to what extent she'd previously been a far happier person and her current demeanour the result of my own shiftlessness? Of course with Catherine it was the opposite problem: who knew the dangers lurking beneath her charming exterior? Thing is we got hints of the latter early on, whereas with Katherine I only got that one photo of her smiling over a birthday cake, and that near the end of the first alignment phase...

I was amused to discover the bonus 'Midnight Venus' ending (for clearing the Babel stages) on Youtube too, although it made me wish for a bonus Erica ending as well. I'd take Erica over Katherine or Catherine (or Midnight Venus) any day of the week. Even if she does wear yellow.

Overall verdict: A unique and compelling experience. The most immediate and significant problem -- the gulf between gameplay and narrative -- was actually largely resolved throughout the course of the game.

Next-up: Red Dead Redemption.
    Last edited by Rii; 11-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Made a lot of progress in FarCry 1 without much frustration, to my surprise. Then I blew up the main compound and got thrown back to the jungle with only a Colt rifle which merely has 10 bullets. Then I called it quits for the day, I mean what the eff.

Still I think I'm pretty close to the end of the game, so I'll try to finish it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Made a lot of progress in FarCry 1 without much frustration, to my surprise. Then I blew up the main compound and got thrown back to the jungle with only a Colt rifle which merely has 10 bullets. Then I called it quits for the day, I mean what the eff.

Still I think I'm pretty close to the end of the game, so I'll try to finish it tonight.
    Oh, you're at the bit where you get kicked out of the heli? God, that bit's a bastard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Having a great time with Max Payne 3, enemies are bullet sponges and are made of glass.

I have one nitpicky though, I'm not really fond of his running animation, he runs around pistols aimed infront of him and unless I missed it there isn't a walking toggle button, running past cover while you try to hide behind is is kind of clumsy irritating. The fact that max auto-equips his pistol after every cut-scene and bullet dive is kind of unpractical and annoying.

It's little things but when you come directly from Splinter Cell Conviction which had great animation, running, walking and hiding mechanics this is kind of a step down.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I played few hours today in BF3 co-op just to unlock G3A3. With a friend on Skype it's kinda ok but MP is better.

DoW2 Retribution. *PRIDEPOST WARNING* I just won against a top3 guy in a pretty nervewrecking game, at least for me it was nervewrecking. I managed to win somehow. Feels good man. He chose a random race though, so maybe he isn't very good with Space Marines and I lucked out. Still feels good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I played few hours today in BF3 co-op just to unlock G3A3. With a friend on Skype it's kinda ok but MP is better.

DoW2 Retribution. *PRIDEPOST WARNING* I just won against a top3 guy in a pretty nervewrecking game, at least for me it was nervewrecking. I managed to win somehow. Feels good man. He chose a random race though, so maybe he isn't very good with Space Marines and I lucked out. Still feels good.
    Sometimes the people that choose random are evillest of all.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Just finished up Alien Breed: Impact last night. I really liked the game. Nothing too complicated or deep, but cool environments and very tight, focused gameplay. Yes, it got repetitive at times and a better waypoint system would have been appreciated, but for a small episodic game, very enjoyable. Not sure why it suffered such horrible reviews.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Been playing Braid a bit. I finished it (sans stars) on xbox when it was fairly new, but have since forgotten all the puzzles, so it's a totally new and brain-hurting experience. I want to get the stars this time around, but I really have no idea where/how to even start...

Dredmor with DLCs, paid and free. Haven't really played enough to get a handle of the new skills yet though.

Runespell: Overture. Not really sure what to make of the game. The gameplay is basically just junior poker, with battle animations, and the story so far is completely generic fantasy. Lost half an hour's worth of progress thanks to the game not liking alt+tab, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered going back and replaying those tedious battles.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Bullestorm is...an interesting game. They've got some great mechanics in there, but the game feels kinda dull to play. I feel like the remaining skill shots (the game's score system) are either too absurd to pull off, or I just end up keep doing the same ones that get enough points anyhow. Hilariously, if they stripped out the point system and made it so you could just kill whoever you wanted however you wanted without any sense of penalty, it'd probably be even more satisfying. This makes it even worse when you consider that so few other games have such versatile means of eliminating enemy fools...but it just becomes lack lustre. I feel like I've done all I'm ever going to do in this game and I'm maybe half-wayish through, which is also crazy because I'll finish it in two and a half decent length sittings.

My other problem with it is that the PC version is screwed. I constantly keep sequence breaking events, meaning I have to restart the checkpoint. If that doesn't work, I have to restart the chapter. I'm not a keen fan of having to redo material I've already played through. I wouldn't say it's as bad as Red Faction: Armageddon's refusal to manually save, but it's not far off. There are other issues too, but I feel like I've now engaged that part of my brain that has determined I'll finish the game, but I may never touch it again upon completion.

It is, however, extremely good looking and refreshing to see so many colours in an FPS. The humour is fairly good, if not a little predictable and as I said, the actual gun-play is pretty good. The whole game just feels lacking though. It's just one long shooting gallery, where it neither doesn't care and just runs with this (a la Serious Sam) nor tries to persuade you that it isn't. Disappointed, I'm sure, is the word I'm looking for. It's not bad, it's just painfully mediocre. I hope the second half does something cool, but I'm not convinced it will be.

Alternatively, the run through of Ocarina of Time with my friend is going well. We're about to fight Ganondorf...I say we, I mean me. She's deftly afraid of actually dying, so the controller keeps being passed to me. The thing is, I don't know if it's either blissful ignorance, or just not putting the dots together - she partially worked out how to beat one of the temple bosses, but then couldn't really get it together. Now, OoT isn't an easy game, but I'd argue that bar a few things, it's incredibly intuitive. Despite that, it's still incredibly fun and very, very easily stands up to the test of time.