Page 306 of 1260 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316356406806 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 25185
    Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i loved da:o to bits, but found awakening to be pretty boring. it's worth picking it up, but it was a bit of a letdown after the finale of origins.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I'm also eyeing up on Awakening... am I right in thinking that it's essentially just More of the Same and if I loved DA:O, I should love it Awakening as well? How big a deal is old character import with it?
    Personally i found the story much better, but they totally weak out on the ending [spoilers]mass effect 2 "improve everything and everyone lives" style.[spoilers]But generally its excellent.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

i suppose that's what bothered me. the tenor of the whole thing after the rollercoaster that was da:o.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So, Psychonauts, eh? It's pretty good, isn't it?

I'm 2, maybe 2.5 hours in. It just has this charm and wonder about it that makes it very fun. It's a shame that with the controller support, the UI doesn't properly accommodate, but it works well enough that it doesn't matter so much. The music is great, the settings and colour usage is appropriately varied and imaginative/creepy/weird/interesting etc. The humour is absolutely fantastic though. I was laughing a hell of a lot during the opening cinematic, but it's so consistent, but doesn't force it out. There's some really nice touches too, such as in the training mission where the shrubbery is made of barbed wire and ammunition belts. Dialogue is great, design is great...it's just all great. I have no idea how far I am into the game, but I can already tell I'm gushing with enjoyment and disappointed there isn't going to be a sequel to play.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    I'm also eyeing up on Awakening... am I right in thinking that it's essentially just More of the Same and if I loved DA:O, I should love it Awakening as well? How big a deal is old character import with it?
    Awakening doesn't really make sense unless you start a new Orlesian Warden character. My dwarf prince always had the interests of the dwarven realm at heart, and my Origins game ended with him being declared a paragon, his royal lineage restored, and him asking the surfacers for an army to fight the persistent Darkspawn hordes underground (which they gave him). Awakening basically erased my entire epilogue.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 14-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Technically all of those things can be true. This is a different burg.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Awakening is amazing. The characters and story are fantastic, and I believe some of the buggy sidequests have been patched either officially or by fan patches. It balances out the classes, making especially two handers far more powerful.
    Basically, it improves DA:O in every single aspect, and I already loved that.

Awakening also introduces Fun Anders, he's a really good character. Some bosses are quite excellent as well, not to mention some of the (almost OP) weapons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's definitely an expansion that makes you think "they really know what they're doing here, they can see the strong points and the weak points of their game and work out how to improve things. The sequel is sure to be amazing..."
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I remember when it first came out a lot of people couldn't play unless they changed the compatibility settings to Windows 2000. What?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I remember when it first came out a lot of people couldn't play unless they changed the compatibility settings to Windows 2000. What?
    BioWare can't even make menus properly, so y'know.

Arma 2 - Operation Arrowhead: Got this because I wanted to check out Day Z. But until now I only got to play the tutorials of the main game and that is because of...

The Binding of Isaac: I dont know but this game is just like crack. So terribly addicting. Just finished the fourth challenge where you have to beat Mom with the dead cat item. Barely made it with 2 lives left. The DLC added a lot of new stuff to the game, really like it!

Red Orchestra 2: Started playing again after the free weekend. Lots of new players, new gamemodes and a new map. Fighting in the trenches at Mamayev Kurgan is a blast. Didnt enjoy my first round when I was defending as the Russian side, but learning maps is always better from the attacking side. Slowly advancing with the German side makes this map.
    As for the new Classic mode, I dont care really. Currently I am mostly playing on a server with "realistic" settings. Classic just makes the game more slower but coming from games like Quake I generally like the faster approach.
    And to everyone who is bored of playing BF3 and COD3 - get this game now ! Only very few bugs left, the performance greatly increased since the last big patch and most importantly there are many players now (at least in Europe!).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm playing The Saboteur. I couldn't figure out whether it was underrated or not, but what I said in the Spore thread gave me a bit of a handle on it. Aside from the lamentation that more games should be set in Nazi-occupied Paris, there's little critical interest, there. The gameplay is a competent but uninspired by-numbers hybrid of Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed. The end result is something that's fun to play, but has little value for talking about or learning from. Well, aside from the visual direction they use to distinguish between Nazi areas and areas where you've strengthened the Resistance. That's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    BioWare can't even make menus properly, so y'know.
    Overall it was a pretty good game I guess, the characters really stand out. Sigrun and Oghren were awesome. Dwarf power! I just felt in some respects it was 'Neverwinter Nights 2 - Greatest Hits' lifting the updated castle system (yes I'm aware BG 2 had it first) and not continuing to build on some of those great ideas Obsidian introduced.

Plus NWN 2 has much more colour. All those greens really popped out and punched you in the face. During the tutorial area I thought I was in the fucking Shire.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'm playing The Saboteur. I couldn't figure out whether it was underrated or not, but what I said in the Spore thread gave me a bit of a handle on it. Aside from the lamentation that more games should be set in Nazi-occupied Paris, there's little critical interest, there. The gameplay is a competent but uninspired by-numbers hybrid of Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed. The end result is something that's fun to play, but has little value for talking about or learning from. Well, aside from the visual direction they use to distinguish between Nazi areas and areas where you've strengthened the Resistance. That's pretty cool.
    i loved the saboteur. i thought it was fairly underrated (so underrated the company making it went out of business immediately after releasing it) and highly enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I played a second playthrough of DA: O and imported into Awakenings straight after, my first time with that.

I’m not sure If my rogue was just horribly overpowered but playing Awakenings was like playing an ARG in which you can never die, which kind of ruined it for me. The best thing about Dragon Age in my opinion is the sense of history and legend it conveys throughout, and being this invincible dude who no one can even hit ruins that, as it means none of that deep background has any effect on you. It’s hard to buy into this richly explained fiction of the blight which will consume the world when I can waste 17,000 Darkspawn on my own.

It’s like reading Lord of the Rings, as is, with the only difference being that Frodo is 123 feet tall, able to fly, owns all of the money in the world and is made of diamonds and knives and fire. But he still has to make the slow trek to Mordor, and relate to everyone else as if they matter and have any bearing on him at all, because that’s the story, even though it is completely incongruous with the main protagonist.

Good game, but it sort of broke itself in my experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Yeah, Awakening had piss-poor balance, and to make it even worse they gave you some of the most ridiculously over-powered abilities they could think of. Reminded of one of the warrior skills which killed all enemies below a certain 'strength'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think you have to stick the difficulty up a notch from the level you played Origins at to get the right experience from Awakening.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Yeah, Awakening had piss-poor balance, and to make it even worse they gave you some of the most ridiculously over-powered abilities they could think of. Reminded of one of the warrior skills which killed all enemies below a certain 'strength'.
    Paeon killer or something I think it was called.

It wasn’t the attributes so much as the failure to scale enemies appropriately, as characters were at such a high level that even basic hits did a ridiculous amount of damage without factoring anything else in. The only enemies I had an issue with-and I mean absolutely the *only* ones-were the big beasties that could hold you/pick you up regardless of stats, or spells which knocked you over. Otherwise every time someone tried to hit me I would just hear this “ching” noise and see my rogue do a block animation.

Take my character out of the equation and the story was great-Political intrigue, development of some of the best mythos in the original game (Fereldan politics, Darkspawn, Legion of the Damned, Grey Wardens) and the glimpses you could get of the Northern Region were strong. Good finish as well, strongly aided by the fact that it was the only part in the game were you only felt overpowered as opposed to a living deity.

But compared to the original I think it’s very weak as far as the playing of it goes. The majority of the quests tend to just fizzle out , or are just ridiculously “gamey”, things to do because it’s a game and that’s what you do in games. The one where you run around town in a circle openly killing people mumbling to themselves while absolutely no one bats an eyelid comes to mind. There’s just no depth as well. In the original Dragon Age rumours of a smuggling operation would have taken you on a quest which would have lasted hours and told you all sorts about a variety of power struggles and political interests. In this it was a case of jumping through a hole in the floor, bashing the smugglers and stealing their stuff, that was it. Similalry Anders’ involvement should have been a great device for exploring the Templar/Circle arc, but It was woefully under-used and never really developed it at all. The little overheard conversations and rumours and snippets which added so much narrative depth in Origins weren’t there either; everything you read and conversed about was sufficient to fill out the quest in question, nothing more.

Whereas Origins was primarily a brilliant narrative achievement with a decent game worked in around that, Awakenings is an alright game with a story.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    So, Psychonauts, eh? It's pretty good, isn't it?

I'm 2, maybe 2.5 hours in. It just has this charm and wonder about it that makes it very fun. It's a shame that with the controller support, the UI doesn't properly accommodate, but it works well enough that it doesn't matter so much.
    This patch will add controller buttons to the GUI. Just be sure to let it run for a little while, it's not the best at indicating progress.