Page 307 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357407807 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 22758
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I think you have to stick the difficulty up a notch from the level you played Origins at to get the right experience from Awakening.
    Played it on the hardest mode possible; the fundamental issue was that my dexterity was too great for anyone to hit me. That could have been solved if enemies had had strong enough characteristics to get past that, but as they didn’t it ensured that for anyone playing with high dex the fundamental fight mechanics are broken sadly. Given that builds with two of the classes often favour high dex it should have been given more thought.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    Awakening is amazing. The characters and story are fantastic, and I believe some of the buggy sidequests have been patched either officially or by fan patches. It balances out the classes, making especially two handers far more powerful.
    Basically, it improves DA:O in every single aspect, and I already loved that.

Beware, though. There's still a nasty bug in the prison level where if you are a mage/warrior hybrid everything you have equipped once you are abducted disappears forever. The only way around it is to get completely naked before you get abducted. I lost like 4 hours of playtime to that bug and as far as I'm aware they never bothered patching it.

Yeah, they never fixed it. Here's what causes it: Basically, the game creates a weaker clone of your character, wearing your gear but it only uses the basic class so no prestige class. However, since it's the arcane warrior specialization that allows you to wear heavy armor your clone can't wear it and it spawns naked.
    to wound the autumnal city.

The Saboteur's real strength is its stealth and demolitions. Don't play it like GTA, play it like Hitman.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    A bigger thing should have been made of that Awakenings bug. We have a big add-on for a triple-A title which contains a widespread, repeatable bug that can massively perturb the experience (or completely fuck it up if the player is the type to only keep one save) and the studio never bothers to fix it; they just moved on. This isn't something like Gamebryo bugs which are heavily circumstantial or hardware dependent, and Bioware aren't so small that they can't afford to spend time ironing these things out. This bug seems to get most people who play Awakenings regardless of their system.

I'm all for tolerance when it comes to week-1 bugs or even month-/year-1 if the game is big enough, but only if the develop can be relied on to fix them.

I have mainly been playing minecraft for the most part.
    Being Perfect is simple....
    Just don't do anything ever and you should be good to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    A bigger thing should have been made of that Awakenings bug. We have a big add-on for a triple-A title which contains a widespread, repeatable bug that can massively perturb the experience (or completely fuck it up if the player is the type to only keep one save) and the studio never bothers to fix it; they just moved on. This isn't something like Gamebryo bugs which are heavily circumstantial or hardware dependent, and Bioware aren't so small that they can't afford to spend time ironing these things out. This bug seems to get most people who play Awakenings regardless of their system.

I'm all for tolerance when it comes to week-1 bugs or even month-/year-1 if the game is big enough, but only if the develop can be relied on to fix them.
    Awakening is as broken as fuck. There's loads of quests that don't work properly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Haha, I'm so lucky, I run through all these big games and never more than 1 or 2 minor issues with them. Awakening included, I don't think I had a single issue, except what the hell I should do regarding the Architect.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    A bigger thing should have been made of that Awakenings bug. We have a big add-on for a triple-A title which contains a widespread, repeatable bug that can massively perturb the experience (or completely fuck it up if the player is the type to only keep one save) and the studio never bothers to fix it;
    This isn't the first time Bioware has done something like that.

On the Xbox version of Mass Effect, when you're saving the colonists on Feros, if you save there and reload the save it places you back in the elevator... but the doors won't open. Then, the game also autosaves at that point as well, so you have two saves stuck in the elevator.

Heaven help you if your backup save is far away or you never had one to begin with.

They never patched it because "it didn't affect enough of the users for us to put time into; we're aware it happens but we won't fix it." I was stupid and didn't use back-up saves back then, so that entire run of the game was over as I could never get out of the elevator. My only option was to start the game over again (which I didn't do until years later.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Haha, I'm so lucky, I run through all these big games and never more than 1 or 2 minor issues with them. Awakening included, I don't think I had a single issue, except what the hell I should do regarding the Architect.
    Well, a number of the companion quests weren't fixed... and the patch that fixed them didn't actually fix them.

EDIT - What I'm playing:

Lord of the Rings Online
    I play this on and off. It's... really fucking dull, but in a strangely addictive way. I've got to level 30 on a Hunter (I have a Guardian at 28 as well) and I'm really kinda struggling but pushing on with it anyway. It's the only MMO I'll give much time to these days.

Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga
    Almost got my tower now, but I'm taking another little sabbatical from it for reasons I can't comprehend. Largely work and LotRO, I think.

Wiedźmin 2: Zabójcy Królów
    In other words, The Witcher 2. I'm taking it a bit slower than I did the first few attempts and it's slowly starting to click for me. I've made a few choices I'm not entirely happy with, but those women who seemed like Daily Mail readers in it can fuck the hell off.
    Last edited by Althea; 14-06-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Just started Battlefield 3 multiplayer, but also just realised I am oh so so terrible at it. How do people get so good??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The Saboteur's real strength is its stealth and demolitions. Don't play it like GTA, play it like Hitman.
    Hell yes to this, the AI is laughably dumb at times, but that's okay.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Just started Battlefield 3 multiplayer, but also just realised I am oh so so terrible at it. How do people get so good??
    Practice a lot I suppose. I played a ton of CSS back in the day and even if i don't touch the game for a year, I can get on and dominate. I guess it becomes embedded in your brain.

I'm just starting Silent Storm, so glad it was put up on GoG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    This is me panicing when ever I see someone, spray around and hit everything but the enemy in front of me.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    With practice of course. With proper recoil control (pulling the mouse down to counter the recoil of weapons) you can kill people incredibly fast. This means that seeing the enemy before they see you is an enormous advantage. You almost never win a duel where the opponent started firing before you saw him. This makes positioning and awareness extremely important.

In the beginning I had trouble even making out other soldiers against the background, but it sinks in after a while. Realizing stuff like firing weapons shows you on the minimap (unless you have a silencer) also goes a long way towards making sure you are not surprised too much by enemies appearing from nowhere.

Other non-obvious stuff is that scopes take different amount of times to zoom in, affect your aim speed differently, and have a big effect on how distracting recoil is (high-zoom scopes are affected quite a lot by recoil). In general, red dot sights and the kobra sight are the fastest and most mobile choices, and can be used to great effect even on longer-range weapons.

...and so on. There are a lot of details to the game, and being aware of them all is one important aspect of winning more and dying less. But of course fast and accurate aim doesn't hurt by any means.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm sure there's some sort of conspiracy where everyone I see on forums is really bad at the game supposedly, so I buy the game thinking I may have a chance, but when I join I just get repeatedly deadified by angry people with guns, all of which never seem to panic when they see me, and decide I would look better with several holes.

Wow, I was worried about installing Super Meat Boy because "you need to play this with a controller!" but even without it's really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    This is me panicing when ever I see someone, spray around and hit everything but the enemy in front of me.
    Amen to that.

I just cant see people, but, as postinterneysyndrome pointed out hopefully that will come with time. Also its quite hard to get off the first few levels of a gun. For example, I would love a red dot sight, but nooo my M4A3 has a 4x ACOG which is useless in close range (and I cant shoot from long range) and my M4 only has iron sights. Dont get me started on the Russian weapons :(

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Yeah, on many weapons the iron sights are actually preferably to some of the early scopes you unlock. Except for mutants like the FAMAS whose iron sights cover the entire screen with metal. Atrocious. Also worth noting that the russian weapons tend to unlock the russain optics early and american late, and vice versa. All weapons unlock the canadian scope - which is quite neat - late.

For spotting people, standing still should not be underappreciated. I regularly stand still without looking around and just wait for my peripheral vision to catch movement on the screen. This of course also picks up pieces of paper drifting in the wind, but can be useful anyway since the colours of both soldiers and environment are very Modern Gaming. Just for a few seconds though, and not i places where you are an obvious target.

Look for "noob only"-servers that kick people above a certain level. You will be safe from the most seasoned headshotters at least.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Wow, I was worried about installing Super Meat Boy because "you need to play this with a controller!" but even without it's really fun.
    Yeah, the 'controllers win' thing is a bit weird. Everyone always goes on about how you REALLY MUST use a controller, but as far as I can tell it's just that a lot of people find that more comfortable. There's no analogue control in the game, and no combination of button presses that is impossible with a keyboard.