Page 33 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543831335331033 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciber View Post
    Playing Mass Effect 2. I'm wondering why I can't turn down mouse / camera speed more. Is there a config file? Also wondering why it takes so long to load fairly small levels with simple graphics. On a fast SSD.
    The issues with the mouse stem from bad porting on Bioware's side, I think. Both that and the problems with slow loading times can be circumvented, as described in the "PC Fixes" chapter of this FAQ (you can just ctrl+F for "PCF" if you don't want to risk a story spoiler):

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...insanity_a.txt

Edit: Wanted to add: The slow loading times are caused by unoptimized usage of multicore processors. So older systems might actually load faster than newer ones.
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-07-2011 at 08:31 PM.

[QUOTE=airtekh;19383]@ichbinspikeface

When you're near the anomalies, get out your detector and switch to your bolts (default '6' on the keyboard). If your detector indicates anomalies, throw the bolts out in front of you (there is an unlimited supply). If the bolt sets off an anomaly, you know you can't walk in that direction. Meanwhile, keep an eye on where the artifact is, as they keep moving around.

Navigate through the anomalies by throwing bolts (you may need to protect yourself from radiation, chemical or other hazards as well) until you are close to the artifact. When it appears, it gives off a big 'hissing' sound. Hold down your 'use' key and the name of the artifact will appear; then get close and scoop it up.

QUOTE]

well, that certainly seems more detailed than what i was doing! thanks, time to give it another spin then.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    The issues with the mouse stem from bad porting on Bioware's side, I think. Both that and the problems with slow loading times can be circumvented, as described in the "PC Fixes" chapter of this FAQ (you can just ctrl+F for "PCF" if you don't want to risk a story spoiler):

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...insanity_a.txt

Edit: Wanted to add: The slow loading times are caused by unoptimized usage of multicore processors. So older systems might actually load faster than newer ones.
    Thanks!

Wow, so complicated and all I want to do is tweak my mouselook speed. Bad game.

Currently playing Freespace 2 in the first spec ops/behind enemy lines mission. Modded to the gills (thank you hardlight). I finished Freespace one FSport and Silent Threat Reborn about a month ago and had a whale of a time. I'm using an Xbox controller (plus keyboard for more complicated commands) with xpadder software. It's a blast.

I've actually found FS2 to be more difficult so fa,r even though I'm playing on normal difficulty as before. Such a great game though.

@Skeletor68

Whoa, what now? Can you use a 360 controller with Freespace 2? I thought a joystick was mandatory?

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    @Skeletor68

Whoa, what now? Can you use a 360 controller with Freespace 2? I thought a joystick was mandatory?
    It works perfectly, honestly. If you use Xpadder you can configure the buttons to whatever you want and having all the extra buttons is handy for FS. I usually map Primary/secondary fire to the triggers. Accelerate/decelerate to bumpers. Target, target hostile, match speed and afterburner to face buttons, countermeasures to select and ec to start. Obviously you will need keyboard if you want to give orders to other wings etc. but 90% of what you need will be on the pad.

This game plus mods= awesomeness!

Oh that sounds great!

I picked up Freespace 2 from a Gog sale a while ago and was putting off playing it until I got around to buying a joystick. Definitely going to give this a try, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Oh that sounds great!

I picked up Freespace 2 from a Gog sale a while ago and was putting off playing it until I got around to buying a joystick. Definitely going to give this a try, cheers!
    I got them both on GOG a while back too. I can't remember if you need to buy FS1 to play the upgraded version but I got both of them on GOG, and the original campaign is well worth playing too.

http://www.hard-light.net/ Make sure to get the mods at this site, they've done some fantastic work. I think the Turey's Installer is what I used and it's very easy to set up so you can get better textures, jump up the resolution etc.

Enjoy!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post

http://www.hard-light.net/ Make sure to get the mods at this site, they've done some fantastic work. I think the Turey's Installer is what I used and it's very easy to set up so you can get better textures, jump up the resolution etc.

Enjoy!
    Cheers for that, I had bought Freespace ages ago but not got around to playing it. I'll definitely check out the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishjohn View Post
    Cheers for that, I had bought Freespace ages ago but not got around to playing it. I'll definitely check out the mods.
    No probs, fellow Irishman (I'm assuming).

I'm also still playing Witcher 1 and am finding it enjoyable, but a little slow paced at the moment. I'm in Act II which seems a bit sprawling and I seem to keeping going from area A to C without having done B and traipsing up and down Vizima.

Banned
    Just get Freespace 2. The mod @ hardlight includes the whole Freespace 1 campaign + redone expansion both with improved graphics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm contemplating giving KOTOR a try. It passed me by in its day, and to be honest I've generally avoided any Star Wars franchise items since the prequels, but a good RPG with non-twitch combat is appealing right now. Is there anything I need to know about, mod-wise?

As far as I know Kotor the first is good enough without mods.
    I don't remember finding anything interesting enough last time I played.
    Kotor2 is where the modding is heavy.

Agreeing with Tikey here. The first KOTOR is perfectly fine by itself without modding. The only thing I'm unsure of is resolution support. I *think* KOTOR supports all common resolutions, but I'm not 100% on that.

Obscure Node
    I am alternating between STALKER: Clear Sky, Dragon Age: Origins, and X3: Terran Conflict.

The great thing is they are such different games that each one is a refreshing break from the other whenever I switch :)

Obscure Node
    KOTOR is definitely worth it. Sad the second one isn't available on steam. You can't explain that!

Is kotor 2 in ANY digital download service?
    Tracking a physical copy is practically impossible

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Is kotor 2 in ANY digital download service?
    Tracking a physical copy is practically impossible
    I got my copy of 2 off Amazon fairly recently for a reasonable price.

On that note, while I won't be playing it for awhile, what are the suggested mods for KOTOR 2?

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Agreeing with Tikey here. The first KOTOR is perfectly fine by itself without modding. The only thing I'm unsure of is resolution support. I *think* KOTOR supports all common resolutions, but I'm not 100% on that.
    It doesn't have much resolution support, at least my unmodded Steam version. 1280 x 1024 is the max it supports. I played it in 1280x860 as the closest thing they have to 16:10.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 28-07-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I got my copy of 2 off Amazon fairly recently for a reasonable price.

On that note, while I won't be playing it for awhile, what are the suggested mods for KOTOR 2?
    The Ultimate saber mod was a nice one.
    I'd say to use one of the complete mods but I don't know if it's a good idea for a first run.
    I tried the one mentioned in rps and it was a very nice until I ran into a bug near the end that didn't allow me to continue. So... yeah.
    The link in the article isn't working anymore but I've found it around somewhere.

Edit: I've remembered that there are a lot of little fixes but If you use a complete mod they usually have them included.
    Last edited by Tikey; 28-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.