Page 356 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366406456856 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,120 of 22715
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    With an admittedly liberal use of 'simulator'. In any case, it's really gleeful about bombing an entire island nation back into the stone age.
    The game is pretty ironic about it you know. What's your beef here?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    The game is pretty ironic about it you know. What's your beef here?
    Besides, considering how the natives drive, destroying every gas station in the country is probably a public service.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Besides, considering how the natives drive, destroying every gas station in the country is probably a public service.
    I wanted to agree with this, but then I realized I probably killed more civilians with my terrible driving than the Panauan military did during their reign of terror. Plus, destroying water towers and generators and stealing the people's hard-earned cash is kind of a mean thing to do.

It doesn't help that Rick seems incapable of holding a conversation with anyone without threatening them. Though considering the walking stereotype that is Tom Sheldon, maybe the whole game is just a brilliant satire of US foreign policy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyB View Post
    Hmmm... When does this happen? I can't remember the exact moment...

Unreal Tournament 2004:
    I just rebought this during the steam sale (have the old 6 CD version somewhere around here as well) and played it for the first time in years. It's really funny to see how different this feels compared to contemporary multiplayer FPS games. It's incredibly fast-paced and really requires you to move around and aim every split-second. In my opinion all contemporary FPS games feel really slow in comparison. And my verdict is, this game really rocks!
    UT'99/'04 are timeless classics. UT3 can be great fun as well but something was definitely lost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    The water towers, in particular, struck me as odd.

The writing in that game is so far beyond bad that it has somehow become good. Not to mention the voice acting.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Red orchestra 2:
    Quite a few things that bother me, first and formost the engine.

-Usual ue3 poor image quality , patented ue3 gleem and a shitty fxaa solution makes for a total mess of blur and bloom even with motion blur, bloom and dof turned off.

-Performance also isn't good (the ingame fps counter claims 50-60 fps but it feels more like 30 for some reason, it also tears like no tomorrow)

-You have to turn off fxaa to see what is going on, but then you get the usual ue3 pixel crawling on anything that is shaded , gl spotting movement when half your onscreen information consists of moving jaggies.

-It really is very unpleasant to look at, I love ww2 era games , I think many source mods, the original dod, rtcw, mohAA etc all were very pleasing to look at despite the old engines, but RO2 is an ugly desaturated mess with really awful looking shiny terrain and environments.
    It looks like a late 90 s game with modern lighting , extremely bad image quality, desaturated colors, lack of contrast and some of the ugliest textures I've seen.

Again I don't care much for modern graphics, I'm more than happy with source game graphics or the look of mohaa, but if graphics are a hindrance to playing the game and genuinly offensively bad to look at then it does bother me.

Tip: turn off FXAA, bloom, motion blur , depth of field and most importantly set post processing to low, this removes most of the shitty bloomy gleemy blur (not that this fixes the pixel crawling and jaggies but at least now you no longer feel like you have glaucoma).

The community also seems pretty much dead.
    There are 2 usually full 'realism' settings servers which are very laggy (100-200 ms for everyone, I'm sure any fps player will agree that this is no good ) and spikes to 800 ms for everyone.
    There is one non-realism settings server but that has a bunch of bots in it to fill it up... The bots are super retarded.

Because there are so few servers and players, EU and US players mix (lag lag lag lag lag ahoi) and you have no choice in what map you'd like to play (a few are enjoyable , a few others are real stinkers imo).

Other than that it's not too bad, as far as realism goes, AA (until patch 2.0) had much more enjoyable gunplay and room clearing gameplay and was much less of a sniperfest (sniper in this game is just anyone prone with any gun, they all shoot like sniper rifles anyhow, the PPSH submachine gun can snipe people just as easily as a bolt action rifle in this game).

I also saw none of the tanking of ro1; I'm sure it's there, just not on the servers that are actually still active...

Imo unless you have a big bunch of friends to play this with and fill a server, I'd avoid this game.

I love ww2 games, really liked AA, liked opf yet this is not my cup of tea.

I finished The other side of the coin DLC for magicka with a friend last night. It was quite weak. Not as funny nor interesting as previous DLCs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I find it odd that people still declare UE3 has one particular 'style' - it's used in a lot of big burly manshoot games yes, but there's so many other games that aren't like that it makes me think some people aren't aware just how many Unreal Engine games there are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I find it odd that people still declare UE3 has one particular 'style' - it's used in a lot of big burly manshoot games yes, but there's so many other games that aren't like that it makes me think some people aren't aware just how many Unreal Engine games there are.
    I'm perfectly aware, and all of them have the UE3 look, every single one.

Tera does, ro2 does, bulletstorm, APB, The batman games do, blands , dungeon defenders , Mass effect , tribes ascend, tlr.
    All games with very different settings, playstyles and artstyles , but all share the ue3 look and ue3 problems.

-can't do hair or grass or vegetation (painfully obvious in tera http://www.cinemablend.com/images/ga...1358172786.jpg )

-Character models always look like creepy uncanny puppets

-Lack of proper AA support (deferred rendering ftl)

-copy paste assets because of how their mesh system / performance works

-bloomy and gleemy lighting and specular

-texture streaming problems causing framerate dips and akward lod switching of textures.

I can't think of one ue3 game where it wasn't immediately obvious that is was running on ue3.

Since SO many games use ue3 (just as you said), that look gets very tiresome, and the problems and bad image quality get even more tiresome.

There's often a telltale 'sheen' to the normal maps. A little bit waxy. Not all of them - maybe it has to do with some of the pack-in assets or examples or something.

I really can't look at Mirrors Edge and be like 'oh this is obviously on the same engine as Bulletstorm!' Or Monday Night Combat, Sanctum etc.

I'm just surprised to see someone claim that UE3 has poor image quality, when it's usually when of the best looking engines and is pretty good on old gaming rigs too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I replayed the original FEAR and finished it in 5.5 hours. It aged so poorly, especially compared to its big rival at the time - Quake 4. The one thing it does better than its sequels or pretty much any other shooter: dust. This simple effect makes a really good impression... Otherwise the game has the aesthetic qualities of a wet paper bag. Its grey concrete industrial setting is interesting, but it's not something I want to see in more games. The story is shit, the horror is shit - hell, pretty much everything except for the combat and music is shit.

One hour into FEAR: Extraction Point, playing it for the first time, I am very pleased. It's aware of how retarded it is - when FEAR's villain is resurrected 5 minutes in, he proclaims "I know this doesn't make sense". The combat is significantly ramped up from the original. There are a lot more enemies and the levels are built to take advantage of its simple AI trickery. It's awesome. The horror is goofy but more imaginative.

I hear Perseus Mandate is little more than a bunch of combat arenas. If it keeps up EP's intensity, I'm going to love it. The plan is to finish all the FEAR games and, for the first time, expansions. Not looking forward to Project Origin's BORING, but I know FEAR 3 brings back the awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Limitations on the engine produce results that are predictible, so surprise less, and repeat patterns that you already know. The most egregius "problem" is that most games built using Unreal have very static maps that rarelly support flexible changes. This is probably not a hard limit, since UDK is more a toolkit than a engine, but ...

...some people can even tell you what version of a unreal have a game just looking at a screenshot (not me).

Using a engine to make a game is a tradeoff. You lose something to get something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Ps. We could have topic in which we can post our progress about our campaigns in TW games,included with pics,pics are awesome.
    There are at least two threads in the Social subforum with Total War AARs. Oak is currently doing Medieval 2 and my Napoleon adventure recently concluded. You might want to check them out.

links:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ial-Psychopath

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...-Total-War-AAR
    Last edited by Fumarole; 19-07-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: links added
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

From the"Aren't Games Great?" post on the frontpage, my reply:

I just finished “Dark Messiah of Might & Magic” which I bought during the first days of the Steam sale.

The story might be a bit rubbish and the endless hordes of spiders (eeeh!) and undead (meh!) are tedious to fight through, but there is something about the game design, the way that you can find secret routes and hidden treasures everywhere that makes it SO satisfying to play.

And the kicking! The lovely kicking. I kicked goblins into fires, orcs down beautiful sunlit cliffsides, and I even managed to kick a Lich boss into the abyss below his tomb.

I love this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    There are at least two threads in the Social subforum with Total War AARs. Oak is currently doing Medieval 2 and my Napoleon adventure recently concluded. You might want to check them out.

links:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...ial-Psychopath

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...-Total-War-AAR
    This is rad, dudes. Thanks for the link and the words.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I wanted to agree with this, but then I realized I probably killed more civilians with my terrible driving than the Panauan military did during their reign of terror. Plus, destroying water towers and generators and stealing the people's hard-earned cash is kind of a mean thing to do.

It doesn't help that Rick seems incapable of holding a conversation with anyone without threatening them. Though considering the walking stereotype that is Tom Sheldon, maybe the whole game is just a brilliant satire of US foreign policy.
    STOP DYING WHILE I'M TRYING TO SAVE YOU *ratatatatatatatatatataBOOM*
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Well, I started coming across some weird bugs in Super Meat Boy on World 2, Level 20. Kept clipping through the scenery randomly, which might have been helpful if it was at all predictable. I also couldn't make a jump that people on youtube made look easy, but maybe that's just me. What isn't me though is control issues - not sure if it's my keyboard, or if it's another bug in the game itself.

Then the World 2 boss level wasn't working either. Again clipping, and after collecting the key the level refused to fill up with blood. Will try again later, but I'm thinking that maybe the game doesn't like this netbook after all.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

I'm partway through Prince of Persia (2008) which I got along with Forgotten Sands on a flash deal in the steam sale. I liked the Sands of Time games so I wanted to see how the most recent PoP games turned out.

Pretty decent platforming so far. Some bits are a tad repetitive, particularly when travelling between areas or backtracking to collect the light gem thingies, but I am enjoying it. Didn't realise it was set in a semi-open world either; and it's quite refreshing to be able to choose which level to do next.

I got Lone Survivor from (I think) the most recent Humble bundle, and am just checking it out now. It reminds me quite a lot of Resident Evil, except it's in 2D, with cute pixellated graphics.

Oooh, forgot about PoP 2008's open world type thing, makes me want to go back to it.