Page 357 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407457857 ... LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,140 of 24141
    I've just started with Simcity 4 and I have to say that the region creation is really bad, the fact that if I want to create a new region I have to do al the terraforming city by city is just ridiculous and yields an extremely ugly map.
    Last edited by Gorzan; 19-07-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    I've just started with Simcity 4 and I have to say that the region creation is really bad, the fact that if I want to create a new region I have to do al the terraforming city by city is just ridiculous and yields an extremely ugly map.
    When I was starting out I always chose the smallest region to make things more manageable. In that case you pretty much want to keep terraforming at a minimum. Use a completely flat region or if you feel like it, add a bit of water on one of the dead sides (if you picked a corner/edge region). Keep in mind seaports are bugged though, so I'm not sure how much use there's in them besides being pretty.

If you use a dead side you won't have any trouble while reconciling edges, although you're not really forced to do that either.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

The problem is I wanted things like mountains and rivers going from one city to the next, and this way that's almost impossible to do properly.
    Also, currently on a game of Blood Bowl: LE, puzzled because it doesn't allow me to field my 11th player when I have ready linemen on reserve.

I have no idea if you can make mountains that span regions, but there shouldn't be a problem with rivers.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'd like to thank my internet connection and the sudden shock of losing it to Spotify and Steam causing my computer to hard lock, losing my progress in a fantastic game of Binding of Isaac, reaching the final final level. Thanks internet/programs! You rock!

​Seethe.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Playing and admiring Hitman: Blood Money. Alternating that with World of Tanks

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Also, currently on a game of Blood Bowl: LE, puzzled because it doesn't allow me to field my 11th player when I have ready linemen on reserve.
    I have seen this bug before, but I can't remember what causes it. I think it might have something to do with selecting other players and looking at them while your opponent is setting up, but I'm not sure.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

The in-game statistics tell me I've spent 20 hours on Just Cause 2 in the previous two days. Steam says it's 17 hours. When I went to bed and closed my eyes, I saw flashes of the game before them. I haven't binged this hard on a game in a while.

Now, time to install some mods!

Network Hub
    I'm currently playing Alpha Protocol for the second time and I am enjoying it much more now! That's probably because I am planning on going to Moscow AFTER all the other missions so Brayko wouldn't spoil all the fun as he did the first time. I am trying to be non-lethal but damn! there's not enough of tranquilizer rounds around! Still it's fun and I don't really know why I've waited so long to play it. I was gonna put this in Screenshot thread but I don't know how to link my Steam shots to this system :/

Also playing Binding of Isaac (Steam says 103 hours but I'm thinking at least 10% of that is idle). I have to take a break from this game for a little while though. It's starting to feel like a chore to play it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    The in-game statistics tell me I've spent 20 hours on Just Cause 2 in the previous two days. Steam says it's 17 hours. When I went to bed and closed my eyes, I saw flashes of the game before them. I haven't binged this hard on a game in a while.

Now, time to install some mods!
    This multiplayer mod just came out:

http://kotaku.com/5924580/that-just-...y-too-much-fun

Haven't tried it, but it sure looks cool.

I've been playing FO3 and have been pleasantly surprised that it's not living up to the crap reputation that the internet gives it. Going through a seemingly abandoned building with the music off, lights going on and off, and my lack of ammo can make the game really tense. Just wish I didn't end each gaming session with a CTD.

Activated Node Proctor Eldritch's Avatar
    Yeah, it's really a pain in the ass to make your region look the way you want it to look. To get those mountains from city to city you should have the auto-reconcile edges tool on. That will make it somewhat easier.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Don't know if you know this, but in SimCity 4, you can use a massive 'brush' in the god-mode environment editing. I think you hold down SHIFT? If not shift, something like that.

Good for tree-ing the bastard up a notch.

Other benefits of heavy tree-ing:

It looks better.
    It actually provides environmental (and possibly land-value directly or indirectly) advantages.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I finished FEAR: Extraction Point.
    I enjoyed it more than the original because the combat was better. More enemies, more interesting combat arenas, more weapons. The horror elements were pretty cool, especially in the final part of the game.

Now I'm playing Perseus Mandate. It has really big and ugly open spaces. It basically looks like the original Deus Ex. But the combat and pacing are even more furious than before. 30 seconds into the game you're already facing enemy squads and it just keeps escalating.

People that care about FEAR's story, characters and atmosphere will dislike these expansions. But if combat is what you're looking for, they're miles above the original game. As far as I'm concerned Timegate could have skipped all the lore bullshit and just deliver rooms to clear, because they're doing a fantastic job with them.

As a side note, reviews complain that Perseus Mandate offers no motivation or reason to care about the characters and story. But why should it do that? Why can't I just pretend I'm a dude that's doing his job? I don't need compelling characters and contrieved personal objectives. I'm just deployed in the middle of a shitstorm and I do what I do best. That's enough motivation for me, and frankly it's better than most game plots.

Just finished Splinter cell conviction. Damn good game, if not on the short side.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I finished Mirror's Edge and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It definitely had a lot of potential. I love the concept and for once, platforming in first-person actually works to the game's advantage. It really helps immerse you in the environment and it gives you a greater sense of actually being high up. The art direction is stunning too, I love the way colour is used throughout the city. The early levels in particular are breathtaking at times.

It does have some glaring flaws however. Sometimes it's not very clear what you can jump on or what will just bounce you off. Similarly, there are a few situations where it's not quite clear what you actually have to do. By far the greatest transgression though are the forced combat sequences, which completely kill the flow of the game every time they appear. What's up with that? I bought this game because I wanted to get away from the usual FPS gameplay, why shoehorn it in when it really doesn't fit.

Ob top of that, the story is all over the place and ends on a really unsatisfying note. And for a game whose main attraction is running around on rooftops, you spend far too much time in narrow corridors.

I'd say it's one of those games with a great premise, but a flawed execution. If DICE ever does go around to making a sequel, I hope they throw out combat altogether and put a greater focus on just exploring a city from a high-up perspective. Basically take the first half of this game and expand on it.

I also finished Just Cause 2, which ended on a decidedly better note. I had a lot of fun with it, but I doubt I'll go for 100% completion. There just isn't enough variety in the missions or the gameplay to keep me occupied for another thirty hours. Still, I might replay it if I ever feel in the mood for some mindless destruction.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Closing in on 100% in JC2, I can definitely say it's not worth it. I have the big city left, and it's just a pain, with watertowers and crates scattered all over the place. Also, I've read that the game is in fact bugged; that a watertower is missing or somesuch, so you can't actually get 100%.

I agree about Mirror's Edge. It's got great mechanics, but the level design was silly at times. I also sometimes resented the puzzly aspect of many areas. I guess it's ok to have a bit of that, but for a parkour game, it had remarkably little room for finding "flow" and just getting on with the running. When you constantly have to stop and look around you to find whatever you're supposed to climb onto, it kills the flow totally. I actually really liked the more acrobatic enemies that turn up towards the end. They imposed a bit of urgency to it all, forcing you to make fast decisions about where to head next. One of my gaming wet dreams is a game that is completely centered around escaping and running from stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Since the start of the Steam sale, I've been playing:

Blades of Time - Not bad, if a bit generic, but the fighting is good and the world well drawn but with repetitive enemies. Half way through.
    Max Payne 3 - About half way through and I love it, I think it is a great game. The shooting is amazing and, even though the constant cut-scenes interrupt the gameplay, the story is good, the graphics awesome and the seamless cinematic nature is something done well and never really seen before.
    Ys Origin - Boy is this fun! Takes me back to my younger years!

Once I finish them three, I have another 16 in line. I guess I went a bit overboard!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I finished Mirror's Edge...
    The story of ME was done after the game was finished if I recall correctly. Poor Rhianna Pratchett had to cobble something together as the story was no ones concern for a long time.
    As for not knowing where to go at certain areas or being unsure of what to do, you will replay this game. It'll happen, especially if you watch something like Banlieu 13. And when you're playing it again, you'll get flashbacks of what to do at certain point, and that makes everything so much more fluid. I'd even say it's a game that gets better when you play it again.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Since the start of the Steam sale, I've been playing:

Ys Origin - Boy is this fun! Takes me back to my younger years!
    The Ys games are amazing, if you have a psp try to get your hands on Ys 7, it's the best of the series, has most of the challenge, less of the frustration (difficulty wise).

Anyhow:
    Red faction: Armageddon: Very pretty looking game, great performance, awesome lighting, very polished and consistent, no bugs as of yet and oh em GEE it has MSAA support for reals!

It fixed all the the annoyances and problems of guerilla (though it's no longer open world , it is just as sandboxy gameplay wise).
    You get lots of awesome guns to play with, no cover mechanics, no mouse acceleration or other console bollox and you get to hold 4 weapons at a time (any weapons, not just melee + pistol + light rifle + heavy weapon like most games).

Only downside so far is that you need to fix the FOV yourself ( http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1978110&page=4 , post 52 has the file you need) because it's a console port with a hilarious 45 degree field of view.

edit: in the second half of the game and it's degrading in more on rails turret shooting and some crappy flying bit and more scripted events, kind of like the gears of war games, which is not a good thing. I hope the last quarter of the campaign goes back to the proper gameplay from the first half.
    Last edited by Finicky; 22-07-2012 at 06:15 PM.