Page 361 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461861 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,220 of 23621
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Now playing: Thief, Deadly Shadows. First impressions:

"Logo Movie? [ESC] Logo Movie! [ESC] Logo Movie... [ESC] Logo...Movie. [ESC] Logomovie [ESC] A movie with a logo in [ESC] PAPYRUS FONT! ... oooh, it feels like Thief. *plays until 4am*"
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Replaying FEAR 3 in singleplayer as Point Man.
    After FEAR 2, the most obvious difference is the difficulty. It's HARD. It throws a lot of enemies at you, and they're a lot more mobile and deadly than in FEAR 2. Slo-mo is a necessity, much like in the first game. The weapons pack more punch and are harder to keep under control. It's incredible to me how Day 1 nails the feel and flow of the combat and creates an experience closer to that of the original game than Monolith. It's a very fast paced affair too because the enemies force you to be on the move and have eyes on your back. The bastards flank and supress really well.

The game has an excellent cover system. I find myself using it more than I used classic Q and E peek in the original. After a couple of minutes it becomes second nature to slide to cover and maneuver around it.

As for the horror - well, it's hard to take anything FEAR related seriously after the second game. This one has some very atmospheric scenes and I like the main villain monster than pops out at regular intervals. The cutscenes don't provide any "depth", "motivation" or "compelling reasons to play" but they're well made and Paxton Fettel is always entertaining. Point Man looks like a classic John Carpenter protagonist. I suspect Carpenter's involvement was something along the lines of "give the main dude a beard and long hair and turn the gore to 11".

The art direction was fixed too. This is more like "FEAR with colours" than the mess Project Origin was. It didn't bring back the particles of the first one and it abandoned liquid bullet trails. Perhaps they're a victim of the new engine/no budget combo.

I wonder where all the bad word of mouth is coming from. I already figured out that the COD comparisons come from the Brazil levels. Is it because Monolith isn't involved? But this is objectively better than what FEAR 2 was.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I thought the scares in FEAR were lousy to begin with, but the ending of 2 where you [spoiler]get raped by a ghost[/spoiler] was hilarious. Would you say then that FEAR 3 is worth it if you preferred 1 to 2? It seems to go for pretty cheap. I guess the ultimate question is if the shotgun is as satisfying.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Yes, FEAR 3 is absolutely worth it if you liked 1 more than 2. It's fast, furious and difficult. I mean, finishing the second level alone is a bigger challenge than anything in FEAR 2 and mostly anything in FEAR.
    The shotgun is extremely weird. I'm not sure its design makes any sense. It's not as satisfying as the first one - the sound effect lacks punch and the spread is bigger, although it still makes people explode. I finished FEAR 2 yesterday and can't even remember its shotgun, so I guess this one's better by default.

The game is RPS-approved, if you care about this sort of thing.

Finished Saints Row 3. I can now officially declare it as my favourite sandbox romp, and I'll also nominate my character as one of my favourite player characters - I chose the British male voice which has some fantastic acting and dialogue, and due to my character's sense of fashion all the cutscenes became amazingly hilarious/hilariously amazing. And with the two factoids combined, the game essentially became Vince vs the world. Excellent gameplay, great writing and sense of humour, oodleloads of sheer fun and some truly inspired, memorable moments. Radio stations could have been better but thank heavens for the mixtape feature which should become a standard for this genre (even if for some bizarre reason my mixtape radio was seemingly constantly repeating Holding Out for a Hero to the point I had to remove it from the tracklist to actually hear anything else).

Now digging further into my recently acquired backlog - Zeno Clash! Which is... weird. Or kekking weird as they'd probably say. I'm actually really liking the gameplay concept and it's certainly wonderful to have a game world that's rather unique. There's a bit of an 'indie shoddiness' to it (you can somewhat feel the game stretching beyond its production values) but so far it's not been bothersome. Just wish the game would let me whack a bit more stuff, the recent levels have been a bit too shooting/gimmick combat focused, but I'm probably right when I assume it's only a temporary section of the game.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Just started Dear Esther. It's uh, been interesting so far. I was a little bit disappointed with the graphics, as I was expecting them to be super amazing (although my pc is probably holding them back a fair bit), they certainly arn't bad however.
    I was also sort of expecting it be a game about exploring an island with a story. It's not. It's a game about following a path while random segments of a story are ocasionally told to you.

That said, I don't think it's terrible, and so far I'm fairly happy with it considering the price I paid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    That said, I don't think it's terrible, and so far I'm fairly happy with it considering the price I paid.
    The best thing is, these guys are making the amnesia sequelette Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, just imagine these guys with ready laid out mechanics able to make a haunting world and populate it with legitimate opponents.

It could be epic, if Frictional don't let anyone from Dear Esther write the plot :P
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The best thing is, these guys are making the amnesia sequelette Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, just imagine these guys with ready laid out mechanics able to make a haunting world and populate it with legitimate opponents.

It could be epic, if Frictional don't let anyone from Dear Esther write the plot :P
    Yeah, I am quite excited for that. They did a pretty good job on creating the atmosphere of an isolated island with Dear Esther, and Amnesia is pretty much built on atmosphere, so it should be interesting to see what happens.

I'm almost inside the boat on Deus Ex: HR. Should I keep with the main game normally or should I stop to play The Missing Link on it's right chronological order?

Saints Row: The Third is holding out well for me without it's history, maybe this is the game I manage 100%? (spoiler: no it isn't)

I'm also having much fun with Simcity 4.

So I purchased Skyrim this Steam sale. As far as I remember, the plot of the previous games made the most sense (to me at least) if you played as a native: Morrowind as a Dark Elf and Oblivion as an Imperial. Does this continue in Skyrim? Should I play as a Nord?

It truly is a great game, its such a shame Dirt 3 bollocksed it up so much. Have you tried Dirt 2's multiplayer? Its GFWL but its honestly not so bad as lag barely matters in a racing game unless you are playing bumper cars and the net code seemed to be smart enough to prioritise close cars. Maybe Grid 2 will be good? If they ever make it (no announcements yet) clearly this Gymkhana BS sells better than real racing.
    No haven't tried the MP. Didn't think it would have active players anymore, but will give it a shot.
    So Dirt 3 has lot of Gymkhana events and not as many races? My only exposure to is from the GB Quick Look while back. At least the car list for Dirt 3 looks more interesting with 60-90's cars. Wish they brought back Rally Trophy.

Well, most folks in Skyrim are obviously Nords but people will only rarely comment on your race and I don't think it ever influences the story or quests. The Stormcloaks are fairly racist though and if you want to join them as a non-Nord they look at you suspiciously but they will accept you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    No haven't tried the MP. Didn't think it would have active players anymore, but will give it a shot.
    So Dirt 3 has lot of Gymkhana events and not as many races? My only exposure to is from the GB Quick Look while back. At least the car list for Dirt 3 looks more interesting with 60-90's cars. Wish they brought back Rally Trophy.
    IIRC, Dirt3 has more rally, but its bloody short tracks, If you really want rally get Richard Burns Rally and force anti aliasing, You'll be needing a steering wheel for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by F. Lynx Pardinus View Post
    Morrowind as a Dark Elf
    Dont you remember? They still hate you as you are a foreign dark elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Well, most folks in Skyrim are obviously Nords but people will only rarely comment on your race and I don't think it ever influences the story or quests. The Stormcloaks are fairly racist though and if you want to join them as a non-Nord they look at you suspiciously but they will accept you anyway.
    Ok, that makes sense. I just don't want to replicate my nonsensical experience playing Dragon Age 2 for the first time as a mage. "By the way, I'm sure glad they locked all the mages up in the tower," says the man 30 seconds after he clearly saw me throw a fireball out of the giant stick I'm inexplicably carrying.
    Last edited by F. Lynx Pardinus; 24-07-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Dont you remember? They still hate you as you are a foreign dark elf.
    But then you could interpret the main quest as you awakening your lost heritage.

But then you could interpret the main quest as you awakening your lost heritage.
    I interpreted the main quest as being a magic immune Breton with +200 speed boots who runs around in a dress.

AND IN THE GAME

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    So I purchased Skyrim this Steam sale. As far as I remember, the plot of the previous games made the most sense (to me at least) if you played as a native: Morrowind as a Dark Elf and Oblivion as an Imperial. Does this continue in Skyrim? Should I play as a Nord?
    I thought it was just me that applied this kind of thinking in Elder Scrolls games.

In my opinion playing a Nord gives you a connection to the land, even if there's very little acknowledgement of that by the other characters. It's a little more difficult to justify siding with the Nords in the civil war if you're not a Nord yourself, because they treat other races with much mistrust.

I interpreted the main quest as being a magic immune Breton with +200 speed boots who runs around in a dress. AND IN THE GAME
    Haha, well done. I picked up a super flying staff somewhere in the mountains and spent much of Morrowind in the equivalent of a noclip mode (though I couldn't fly through walls sadly).

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    In my opinion playing a Nord gives you a connection to the land, even if there's very little acknowledgement of that by the other characters. It's a little more difficult to justify siding with the Nords in the civil war if you're not a Nord yourself, because they treat other races with much mistrust.
    That makes sense, thanks!

Just killed Mom for the first time in Binding of Isaac (took 12 hours all in all). Now I'm in for some Gods and Kings as Theodora.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm playing a lot of Endless space, besides a re-run through Bioshock 2 (the better one) and Psychonauts.