Page 365 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 265315355363364365366367375415465865 ... LastLast
Results 7,281 to 7,300 of 24767
    Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Planescape is, without question, the worst D&D game you could possibly play, if your intent is to play a D&D game. As an implementation of D&D rules, it's a disaster, its strengths are entirely in its story.
    oh okay, so what is the best D&D game between Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Night ? and is Planescape is good enough to play it ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    oh okay, so what is the best D&D game between Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Night ? and is Planescape is good enough to play it ?
    If you want to experience classic D&D, the Baldur's Gate series is probably your best bet. It's a good implementation of the rules, and still has a strong story to carry you along. NWN was designed as a multiplayer game, and falls somewhat flat in SP.

Planescape is widely considered a classic, and widely loved. Its mechanics are terrible, but most people find that the characters, story, and setting completely trump that. Personally, I can't get into it (despite repeatedly trying), but considering how widely loved it is even I'd have to recommend you give it a try. Considering what these things cost, it's a sensible gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And with that, I think we've summed up every conversation with Wizardry ever.
    He's gone, dude. Let it go.

I really do think the novelty of the setting hooked a lot of folks, and may be part of the reason I always bounce off the game. Having run several Planescape campaigns, I can't help but see the game (or at least those first few hours that I've dragged myself through) as a hideous under-utilization of a fantastic setting.
    Last edited by vinraith; 26-07-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If you want to experience classic D&D, the Baldur's Gate series is probably your best bet. It's a good implementation of the rules, and still has a strong story to carry you along. NWN was designed as a multiplayer game, and falls somewhat flat in SP.
    *slaps vinraith's bagel out of his mouth*
    Hes Wrong, while being right. NWN original campaign is terrible, even when its graphics didnt look at bad to out eyes as tey do now it wasn't a good game. But the expansion packs? Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are legitimately fun if you can squint through the aged graphics, indeed Hordes of the Underdark is one of the Bioware games I most vividly remember, thankfully I have set my rose tinting of the graphics to 11. It is split into distinct areas narratively and follows on from the first Expansion directly, but characters from the original campaign show up.

It actually touches on matters of the Planes as well as Planescape does at times, when you play this you'll see loads of the content that recurred in mass effect and dragon age in bizzarely proto-form. It starts with a good dungeon romp too, it also features one of the better "build the team" plots that Bioware ever did.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I can't speak to Hordes of the Underdark, I really ought to play that one more, but I wasn't wild about Undrentide. NWN's graphics also look far worse to my eye than BG's, at this point.

Regardless though Helio, as a first D&D experience wouldn't something with a full party be better?

I can't speak to Hordes of the Underdark, I really ought to play that one more, but I wasn't wild about Undrentide.

Regardless though Helio, as a first D&D experience wouldn't something with a full party be better?
    Hmm... I grew to despite BG1 after running through it after carrying a character to the end of BG2:ToB, so I don't recommend that for a first game. Icewind Dale is great if you just want dungeons, but Hordes of the Underdark is a sweet spot for me in that has clever bits, and charming characters (mainly the bloodthirsty sword).

Maybe just skip to BG2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I recommend Hordes of the Underdark. It's pretty much a straight D&D dungeon crawl, and grants the largest boon to Neverwinter Nights' cross-classing and prestige class abilities.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

The problem with both BG2 and Hordes as suggestions, though, is that a player new to D&D isn't going to know how to build a higher level character for themselves.

The problem with both BG2 and Hordes as suggestions, though, is that a player new to D&D isn't going to know how to build a higher level character for themselves.
    Hordes solves that, a default auto leveling Paladin/Ranger/Cleric will do just fine.

Maybe graphics mods could make it look less like ass?

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    If you're interested in a video game adaption of DnD that's as faithful as possible to the tabletop experience, I recommend Temple of Elemental Evil. It lets you build a complete party from level 1 onwards and gives you a lot of options to customize your characters. It's also uses the 3.5 ruleset, which is slightly less broken than the 2nd edition featured in Baldur's Gate and the 3rd edition featured in Neverwinter Nights.

Just be sure to download the Circle of Eight mod, which fixes a lot of bugs left in the vanilla game and offers some additional content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    If you're interested in a video game adaption of DnD that's as faithful as possible to the tabletop experience, I recommend Temple of Elemental Evil. It lets you build a complete party from level 1 onwards and gives you a lot of options to customize your characters. It's also uses the 3.5 ruleset, which is slightly less broken than the 2nd edition featured in Baldur's Gate and the 3rd edition featured in Neverwinter Nights.

Just be sure to download the Circle of Eight mod, which fixes a lot of bugs left in the vanilla game and offers some additional content.
    This for sure.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

NWN2 is fairly solid and unlike BG2 and Hordes of Underdark it starts you as level 1 with two expansions that are supposed to be very good.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Remember there is the difference between Baldurs Gate & Icewind Dale and NWN 1 & 2 in the rulesets. The former use 2nd Edition while the latter are 3rd which, correct me if I'm wrong (never played proper D&D) is easier to get into if you are unfamiliar. NWN 1 & 2 seemed far better at closing paths off that were inappropriate - like not letting fighters choose spellcraft or shit like that which could waste your character.

For my part I'd recommed Icewind Dale 1 or Baldur's Gate 2 if you want the D&D game experience. After doing BG2 you can try the first game but that is far harder to get into; NWN 1 is a decent game but gets very repetitive, and the start has a bit of a dickish learning curve; NWN 2 is better but the first chapter requires some major determination to get through; Undrentide I've only played once but remember it being the single most tedious D&D-game experience I've ever had; never played HotU; Icewind Dale 2 is good fun but I think the first is better; and Planescape is brilliant as an experience but the gameplay is certainly the weakest out of all the Bioware/Black Isle games, although I still found it perfectly playable & enjoyable.

The thing to remember with many of these games is that in your first playthrough you will screw up your character build somewhat. That's ok, most likely you can still play the game fine. In fact the thing that bugs me is when you get into conversations with people who only powergame and ridicule you is you dare to experiment or have fun with a character. Because hey, if you don't know to go for a Sorceror (10) / Arcane Scholar (10) / Eldrith Knight (10) then obviously you are an idiot durhurhur.

EDIT: Shit, should have mentioned - the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN 2 is the best RPG of the noughties and is well worth considering. Helps if you've played NWN 2 beforehand though, or at least some sort of D&D game.

NWN2 ran like ass on my pc, I need to reinstall it now i'm on win 7 (i was xp) and see if its got any better.

I'm trying to get into Galactic Civilizations II but the tutorials are THE WORST. Anyone can point me to a better way of learning?.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    NWN2 ran like ass on my pc, I need to reinstall it now i'm on win 7 (i was xp) and see if its got any better.
    How long ago was this? Honestly the game had like a thousand updates over the years. Every damn time I've tried to play it the thing seemed to update. It runs completely fine on my Win7 PC today, and really is a bit of a hidden gem, MotB especially. NWN 2 has some great moments but MotB is an almost non-stop stream of awesome.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Remember there is the difference between Baldurs Gate & Icewind Dale and NWN 1 & 2 in the rulesets. The former use 2nd Edition while the latter are 3rd which, correct me if I'm wrong (never played proper D&D) is easier to get into if you are unfamiliar. NWN 1 & 2 seemed far better at closing paths off that were inappropriate - like not letting fighters choose spellcraft or shit like that which could waste your character.

For my part I'd recommed Icewind Dale 1 or Baldur's Gate 2 if you want the D&D game experience. After doing BG2 you can try the first game but that is far harder to get into; NWN 1 is a decent game but gets very repetitive, and the start has a bit of a dickish learning curve; NWN 2 is better but the first chapter requires some major determination to get through; Undrentide I've only played once but remember it being the single most tedious D&D-game experience I've ever had; never played HotU; Icewind Dale 2 is good fun but I think the first is better; and Planescape is brilliant as an experience but the gameplay is certainly the weakest out of all the Bioware/Black Isle games, although I still found it perfectly playable & enjoyable.

The thing to remember with many of these games is that in your first playthrough you will screw up your character build somewhat. That's ok, most likely you can still play the game fine. In fact the thing that bugs me is when you get into conversations with people who only powergame and ridicule you is you dare to experiment or have fun with a character. Because hey, if you don't know to go for a Sorceror (10) / Arcane Scholar (10) / Eldrith Knight (10) then obviously you are an idiot durhurhur.

EDIT: Shit, should have mentioned - the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN 2 is the best RPG of the noughties and is well worth considering. Helps if you've played NWN 2 beforehand though, or at least some sort of D&D game.
    Thanks I will keep that in mind!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The RPS HTTP Error Text Adventure. I appear to have summoned a game's journalist, and now I'm trying to trap him in a pokeball maybe. Or something.

Today I played a bit (a lot) of Portal 2 co-op with a good friend. At some points we started each to get pissed at each other, but when anything worked it was the best experience I could imagine. And the slapstick potential when something went wrong sometimes on purpose. Incredibly organic and absolutely priceless! I love these robots, and I hope it goes on forever. Are there workshop levels for Co-op?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post

How the hell did I not think to suggest that?

How the hell did I not think to suggest that?
    Cos you are a bad man.