Page 383 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383384385393433483883 ... LastLast
Results 7,641 to 7,660 of 22754
    I finished Driver SF using the keyboard, no problems whatsoever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    JA2 v 1.13 on Expert. This time I hired Shadow( for a short period of time) and Danny and created my own IMP merc( stealth melee guy, almost every physical stat at max, wisdom too, but bad at everything else, he is learning fast though), then I also grabbed Ira. In 3 days I took Cambria( I ignore Drassen until I have enough people to fight off the counterattack), secured my first mine, hired Gumpy, Buns, Igor, Ivan and some Latvian merc from Wildfire addon. Thankfully, in 1.13 it's possible to sell everything you loot so I have enough money for this small army after selling guns and armor of people who ocassionally come to kill me. I'm planning on taking Alma next. Then Tixa. Hire Dynamo. Then I'll probably lose interest because managing( even reloading weapons) so many people is a big PITA.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 06-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finished Mass Effect 3. I've never played the game without the extended cut so I have no idea what was changed, but did anybody really ever expect the reapers to be explained in a way that wasn't mind-numbingly stupid? That said, I have no idea what the controversy was actually about, beyond 'the ending's bad', so maybe it was something else.

Playing Legend of Grimrock and Fallout new vegas.

Grimrock is an excellent game. Did not think it was my kind of games, but I am having a blast. It's difficult but not impossible, cleverly crafted and while the story could be better the game mechanics themselves make me want to finish it. (Currently entering level 6).

Fallout New Vegas is another beast. I love the setting and the story but the pacing and the graphics are a bit of a letdown. Can anyone give me direction for a good graphical update mod, because the world is feels empty and generic.

(I also started playing Gravity Rush on Vita... A really unique gameplay and amazing steampunk universe. Lovely)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Playing Legend of Grimrock and Fallout new vegas.

Grimrock is an excellent game. Did not think it was my kind of games, but I am having a blast. It's difficult but not impossible, cleverly crafted and while the story could be better the game mechanics themselves make me want to finish it. (Currently entering level 6).

Fallout New Vegas is another beast. I love the setting and the story but the pacing and the graphics are a bit of a letdown. Can anyone give me direction for a good graphical update mod, because the world is feels empty and generic.

(I also started playing Gravity Rush on Vita... A really unique gameplay and amazing steampunk universe. Lovely)
    I didn't have problems with the graphics, it's the design that's weird.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I'm racing through my backlog at the minute, mainly because I seem to be playing games that are quite short.

I was shocked to discover that it's been nearly a year since I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which gave me the kick I needed to finally play The Missing Link DLC that's been gathering virtual dust in my Steam library. Finished it over the weekend, and I thought it was pretty damn good, as far as DLC usually goes.

Also finished Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers. I think I can safely say that it will be the only game I ever play where I utter the phrase: "Where are the door-pants?". (unless there's a sequel). Decent platforming with a cool terrain destruction mechanic.

The final release of the Cold Stream DLC for Left 4 Dead 2 has got back to bashing/shooting zombies. I like the little tweaks that Valve have made to the L4D1 campaigns; I had most of the level layouts committed to memory so it's nice to be surprised by the occasional twist.

Also started Quantum Conundrum. Decent puzzling so far, although my framerate is not as smooth as I'd like for some reason ;and the graphics options are a bit on the short side.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Nevada Skies or any other weather mod from top-100 on Nexus. Adds darker nights, weather effects, sandstorms etc, in the end at least some scenes are very beautiful, not everything of course. Also, you can grab unofficial high res texture pack and something like an iHud or other mods to hide the ugly as sin HUD. I also recommend the music replacer mod and old style Pip Boy but thats very optional and require NVSE installation.

I just played FNV with mods and here is how it looks.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post164576
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 06-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.

NMC's Texture Pack is the most complete. Make sure you grab the 4gb patch though as it'll chug otherwise no matter how good your system is.

As Coldvvvave weather / lighting mods actually make a bigger difference to the way to game feels. If you go with Darker Nights, you should get Electrocity as well - it adds lighting to the world, but it does so in a way that doesn't feel out of character with the environment.

There's also a floral mod whose name I forget (It's in the nexus top 100) that's adds a bit more colour to the desert without going over the top, but some people really don't like that idea.

Thanks guys.

I'll check those mods on the Nexus. Coldvvvave's pictures look really nice. I'll probably give a try to this floral mod. A bit more colour would be welcome in my wasteland.

@ Ravelle. Yeah, I guess the design isn't stellar either. The brotherhood hideout is abysmal (?).

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    I doubt we'll ever reach an agreement in this argument, her motivations are too complex :p
    BUT (spoilers), I always assumed her hate was directed toward the way in which the Jedi and Sith taught, and used, the Force. And in that sense I have to think she doesn't hate the Force in and of itself, but the people who use it. She wants the force to die in order to leave those who rely on it helpless. I can't believe she hates the force, considering the fondness she appears to show for it when she converses with you about the presence of the Force on Nar Shadaa, the surface of Telos, and using it to touch the minds of your crew through meditation.

But she says she hates the force, she hates the way it has a will and a purpose for everyone. The idea of a "destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    I finished Driver SF using the keyboard, no problems whatsoever.
    I've just finished it yesterday, with the keyboard too.
    Such a great game.

Also the soundtrack is brilliant! Is there a way to get it?
    Last edited by Tikey; 06-08-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Network Hub
    Some time off work, a steam sale and a desire to actually play some games makes for a busy few weeks and a mighty long post.

Metro 2033

I gave up on this, partly in frustration and partly because wandering in the dark with monsters just isn't for me. I didn't expect a linear Stalker but it has some serious flaws as a shooter, as others have mentioned. Some prime examples:

Stealth sections where one guard spotting you summons everyone to your spot combined with a near inability to reliably one-shot ambush a guard and some very gamey noise systems like broken glass in 6" patches.

Checkpointing the start of a long section where the only challenge is at the end, causing much repetition.

Limiting your weapon choices but giving you no indication which weapons are useful for the upcoming levels. You might want to pick up that machine gun on offer because your stealth weapons are no good against the waves you're fighting 3 rooms down the hall, or you might be about to enter another sneaking bit where the machine gun is useless.

The weapons all felt completely ineffectual. The lack of accuracy and ammo fits with the setting but even when you do manage to hit something, it's not satisfying in any way because there's no feedback until they keel over dead.

I got up to the bit with the child carrying, which is when I realised that I just wasn't enjoying it and stopped. I'm still interested in the sequel because of the ideas at the core of the game but they need to improve the basic mechanics.

Crysis 2

They made the aliens fun! Three games in, I actually enjoyed fighting them as much as fighting the humans this time around. Well, the big stompy tank robot pinging things were a little dull, but there were only a couple of those. They're not invincible, they're not floaty and unsatisfying and they aren't just humans with a new skin.

I didn't get far in Crysis 1, mainly because the suit was so limited that it felt a little pointless. In 2 it feels much more useful as a whole; speed and jumping are available in combination with other modes, cloak doesn't kill your energy the moment you shoot the smaller guns and armour feels strong enough to actually take on a group of enemies. Bringing the active suit choices down to 2 modes means the fiddly combat switching of Crysis 1 is removed, improving the flow of combat immensely.

It's also in an urban environment, which I have a big soft spot for.

Mass Effect 3

I enjoyed this plenty, both for story and gameplay. The highlights were the individual stories, especially the characters who'd carried over from the first two. No spoilers, but the stories for Tali and Mordin were particularly good. Combat was more of ME2's combat; simple but enjoyable and far better than ME1.

That said, it had some significant flaws too. The final ending (this is with the DLC) was weak but I don't know an interesting way they could've ended it with the setup they used. The galaxy destroying enemy didn't feel very threatening by the end of the game and the final 5 minutes felt completely pulled out of the hat.

I'd have preferred it if they didn't have the 'make everyone happy' choices for some of the conflicts. The Geth vs Quarian conflict in particular had very unsatisfying endings where you managed to convice everyone to just get along. Mass Effect has never been one for forcing hard choices but the arbitrary nature the hapily ever after resolution was particularly galling. I give a rousing speech and the nature of an ongoing conflict is immediately changed?

Some gameplay flaws too, but they're no worse than most games. All in all, worth playing just to see how your own story unfolds after three games. I won't be repeating it to see all the permutations though.

1000 Amps

Bla, bla, bla. Falling through screens (or even just jumping a bit too high) and resetting progress breaks it for me. The core idea could've sustained a short game but repeating sections over and over because I stepped slightly off screen for a moment isn't fun. Stumbling blind is ok, stumbling blind into a room reset is frustrating.

Bookworm Adventures 2

A surprisingly fun word game that I'm still working through. I don't normally go for word games but it's packaged up in enough other gamey structures that I'm having fun. There are a couple of frustrating moments where it takes away lots of your control over your word grid or scrambles half the grid that seem out of place in a game that wants you to spell big, awkward words.

Botanicula

Finally got around to finishing this. I love the art, I love the sound, I love the exploration and I hate the game bits. Random clicking is the order of the day and one puzzle I didn't understand even after I looked at a guide. Still, it's short, it's cheap and well worth it for the experience as a whole.

Lego Batman 2

A glorious lego game. The collecting nature of the lego games goes hand in hand with an open world with lots to see and do. I don't know my comics so most of the characters went way over my head but I still went and got 100% in coop. The voice work was well done, though I preferred the visual comedy of the other games, and I liked the news stories between missions (a nice reference to Arkham City in there). If you're on the edge about Lego games this is the one to try. If you don't like them this won't convince you that you're wrong.

Modern Warfare 3

Yes, singleplayer Modern Warfare! The plot was completely crazy, it's highly scripted, the engine is starting to creak and I still had fun. Again, I have a big soft spot for the urban settings and it's one of the most satisfying shooters in terms of feel. After playing lots of multiplayer Battlefield this made me pine for better infantry combat again. I suspect I'm too late to the party to do multiplayer now but I enjoyed it as a singleplayer game. I might be biased by the fact it was a gift and I didn't have to pay 40 for it.

Quantum Conundrum DLC 1

More of the end game stuff. It's as much platformer as puzzler, like the base game, and it picks up where the normal game finished well in gameplay terms. A couple of the puzzles achieved that great feeling of being hard enough to work out and make you feel smart for solving it without leaving you completely stumped. It's also incredibly short and lacking any story. I like the base game so this went down well but if you thought it was lacking don't waste your time on this.

Tales of Monkey Island eps 4 + 5

I got distracted around the release time of episode 4 and never went back for unknown reasons. It's still a solid game that isn't too prone to inane adventure game logic and features some amusing dialogue. It's not quite as funny as it wants to be and some puzzles can be solved by simply picking up the couple of the items in the scene and combining them but as a whole, it works. Not sure why I waited so long to finish it but the story of the first 3 episodes was memorable enough that I could pick up again 2 years later without a hitch.

Rage

So close. It suffers from being compared to Fallout or Borderlands but it's a corridor shooter that decided it wanted to do a bit of side questing too. It feels absolutely fantastic to play, which makes the meandering of the broad design a real shame. It's occupying an awkward middle ground where you have crafting, side quests and exploration but you don't have loot, player choice, an interactive world or a particularly interesting story.

Personally, I'd have liked it more if it had ditched some of the exploration and made it more linear. The combat feels so good that I happily played on regardless. I even liked the vehicles (with a pad); not so much the constantly respawning bandit vehicles in the world.

Endless Space

For a first time 4X this is particularly impressive. The UI is far better than most games get after several patches, though it's still flawed. It feels surprisingly small for a 4X too. I tend to play 4X games on the biggest settings possible so games take weeks to play through, but the biggest setting in this can be played in an evening or two. That's both good and bad; I do wish it had bigger maps to play with but it's very focused for a 4X and doesn't take a month of my life.

A few complaints:
    The combat timer feels unnecessary in singleplayer mode. Once you've learnt all the cards it's probably fine but I'm making rushed decisions without looking at what exactly each card does.
    I'd prefer a tech tree more like SOTS, with more smaller trees than four giant trees. In fact, I'd prefer tech trees like SOTS in most 4X games. The end of the tree can have no relation to the start so it's hard to work out what you might want to start researching without some serious.. reseach.

Like most 4X, it's still unwelcoming and requires some serious time to learn before you can enjoy it fully. I'm enjoying it but it's hard to resist playing another one I already know instead of learning this properly. A huge SOTS game maybe. I sure hope they fix SOTS2 up soon.

Fallout 1

I never played the Fallout games at release, preferring the D&D licensed stuff at the time. Aside from typical old game problems like an interface that fights you every step of the way and being plain ugly, it holds up very well.

It feels a lot more restrained than the new ones in many ways. Bandits seem a bigger problem than mutants, super mutants are definitely more interesting and nobody is throwing around 500 plasma rifles to every faction. It seems more like a world where things are actually in short supply than recent ones.

That said, it also feels very small. Each town is isolationist to the point that there don't seem to be any quests that involve moving outside of the town you're in and there aren't many places to visit. Fallout 3 and New Vegas feel like a small area concentrated with cool things to look at. Fallout 1 feels like a few people scattered over a huge place where not much happens. I'm not sure which I prefer at this point, but it definitely feels smaller than the new Fallouts despite covering a larger geographical area.

I did look up how the water timer worked early on to see if I needed to rush through or could stop and enjoy the view. That's one aspect I'm glad seems to have died out in the new ones. I think I'm nearing the end of the game now, it's hard to tell. Maybe I'll find another hub with lots to see and do but I think I've only got the big bad left.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Also the soundtrack is brilliant! Is there a way to get it?
    It's a big pile of licensed music, so the short answer is... unlikely.

I've been playing ForumWarz, SimCity 4 and a GW2 server forum.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I beat The Next Big Thing this weekend. It was pretty good. There was only one puzzle that was so obtuse I had to look it up, and it turned out to be a meta-game thing so I didn't feel bad about it. Very funny, for the most part, although Dan's voice actor was pretty weak, and listening to Prof. Fly go through all his inversions made me want to punch something. But, overall, liked it a lot.

"What a guy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Goateh View Post
    I never played the Fallout games at release, preferring the D&D licensed stuff at the time. Aside from typical old game problems like an interface that fights you every step of the way and being plain ugly, it holds up very well.
    Brave - I normally tell anyone who asks about Fallout they are better starting at Fallout 2. Fallout 1 has it's high points, and the writing is nice, but it's a hell of an engine to get used too, even if you're used to nineties CRPGs. I wish Fallout 1 and 2 were in an interface (not ruleset) similar to the BG2 Infinity Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It's a big pile of licensed music, so the short answer is... unlikely.
    Apparently one of the collector editions came with the soundtrack (albeit somewhat limited) cd AND a vinyl. Anyway it's still pretty unlikely I'll get it.
    Last edited by Tikey; 06-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
    I completed Metro, and I don't complete a ton of games, but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it.

I have this funny feeling if someone had said, "Yo Wayward, look at this post apocalyptic corridor shooter", I would have been cool, but as so much hype about the game focused on RPG elements and towns working as hubs and choices I was expecting something a lot more than what I ended up getting.
    You need to change the place where you get your hype then. I've never seen anyone say anything about RPG elements or city hubs and choices in Metro 2033 because, well, none of that is in the game.

I liked Metro 2033 so much that I actually bought it, and I don't buy a lot of games. The setting is excellent, despite being linear the game rewards exploration, and it has some pretty heavy stealth elements. Yes, once a single enemy spots you the stealth is over but it's not less silly than the other end of the spectrum where guards forget you were there after 30 seconds of avoiding their line of sight.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
    Brave - I normally tell anyone who asks about Fallout they are better starting at Fallout 2. Fallout 1 has it's high points, and the writing is nice, but it's a hell of an engine to get used too, even if you're used to nineties CRPGs. I wish Fallout 1 and 2 were in an interface (not ruleset) similar to the BG2 Infinity Engine.
    Looking back, it's surprising that an interface that's so awkward managed to get through into a final game. It sure made me appreciate the Baldur's Gate interface a lot more.

Does that mean it's all change for Fallout 2? I'd look forward to not having to use the bottom 3 pixels of ladders in crowded rooms, or not having to get a perk to identify whether targets are friendly when they're hidden behind walls or ceilings. I'd definitely appreciate an inventory that doesn't do its best to hide things under as many clicks as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    You need to change the place where you get your hype then. I've
    never seen anyone say anything about RPG elements or city hubs and choices in Metro 2033
    because, well, none of that is in the game.
    Here's an example of what most of the gaming media were pushing in the run up to launch: "the immoral activities of a virtual world driven by multiple-choice.", "...it’s a relief to find the game soon taking a step back and reintroducing itself after its opening dramatics as a more free-form experience – closer by blood and in design to another Ukranian-born title, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl."

From what I remember the original announcements were mostly "This is a corridor shooter", and then when people started making comparisons to Fallout and Stalker, their marketing guys jumped on it.

That's not saying I wasn't wrong for listening to hype - I probably only did because I love Stalker so much - but it was certainly fairly common for the gaming press at the time to compare Metro to bigger, better games. I didn't go in expecting Stalker, I went expecting something akin to Bioshock, and what I got instead was closer to Doom 3. My fault, not the games', but it lessened potential enjoyment nonetheless.

Looking back, it's surprising that an interface that's so awkward managed to get through into a final game. It sure made me appreciate the Baldur's Gate interface a lot more. Does that mean it's all change for Fallout 2?

It does get better in Fallout 2, the interface is far more polished and far closer to the Infinity Engine proper. As a bonus, there's a ton more mods/fixes to the graphics/interface for FO2. Coming straight from FO3 it's still a bit shock, but if you're going to be playing it after the original, it will actually seem fairly sophisticated, I bet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    While cruising through Arkham City and solving riddles I ended up in the infamous Crime Alley, there are two chalk outlines of murder; that of your parents with a bouquet of roses. You can kneel down and have have a moment of silence to pay your respect. There's also a tape from Doctor Strange.

There's so much love and details put in to this game.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Banned
    Looking back, it's surprising that an interface that's so awkward managed to get through into a final game.
    The only issue with Fallout interface I can think of is the fact you have to drag and drop all items yourself when looting something. There is no "Loot All" button and doubleclick doesn't work. That was corrected in Fallout 2.

Other than that, I have no idea what you people are complaining about.