Page 396 of 1054 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398406446496896 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,920 of 21074
  1. #7901
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Felt the same way, but couldn't do it during my second run either. I suck at being evil. I start off thinking I'll be the Lex Luthor (the real one, not the wimpy Smallville one with daddy issues) of the Wasteland, but once I begin my mayhem spree of ultimate doom I start feeling awful about getting negative Karma because I stole someone's squirrel sticks.
    heh. It's the same for me. I accepted the quest to enslave some people from the guy at Paradise Falls because I thought I should see that part of the game for once, but after thinking about it for a bit, I decided I couldn't do it after all (then I ended up slaughtering all the slavers. Which might be better than enslaving people, but...).

    Tenpenny Towers is always rather problematic for me too; none of the solutions seem good.

    The weird thing is, I don't have the need for everyone to like me in real life, but I can't stand the thought of anyone disliking my character. Maybe it's some sort of parental feeling because I "created a life!" or something. I don't know but I don't like it. All the cool kids are evil..
    I think the only game I've managed to be evil in was Fable. Otherwise I also set out to be evil, but quickly find out I don't have it in me.

  2. #7902
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    hehe.
    kotor 2 does the evil part really well. at the end you turn into a complete monster who had scarred the galaxy for thousand years...
    the only thing missing was some nice genocide.
    The most fun I ever had playing the Baldur's Gate games was with a ruthlessly self-interested fighter-thief. I recall getting into protracted street battles with the guards in the city of BG and carelessly blasting civilian bystanders to ashes trying to fireball our way out of the melee.

    Good times.

  3. #7903
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Holy shit I want to punch whoever designed Dirt 2 in the face. With my FIST.

    I got it on sale during the Steam summer shit 'cuz I wanted to play a racing game. Only just now have I gotten around to it.

    Here's a play by play of wrong:

    - 10 minutes installing DirectX (whyyy) and some third-party audio program called Rapture3D (fuck what is this extra shit)
    - Attempts and fails to log into Games for Windows Live. My connection is fine. Consequently, fuck you.
    - Throws game into non-native screen resolution. What, you couldn't tell what my screen was at earlier? Fine, I'll change it in settings...
    - ...just as soon as I get past this unskippable cutscene...
    - ...and get dumped into an Obvious Console Splash Screen...
    - ...and thrown into another unskippable cutscene, this time with horrible a fucking nu-metal soundtrack...
    - ...which finally deposits me straight into a tutorial.
    - While typing my name - which is automatically logged into the Games for Windows Live for some stupid fucking reason - the narrator tells me to hurry up.

    DO NOT TELL ME TO HURRY UP IN A GAME THAT I AM PLAYING FOR MY ENJOYMENT. I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU, YOU STUPID FUCKING NPC, AND I WILL PUT YOUR STILL BLOODY HEAD ON MY MANTLE because apparently that's what computer gamers do with heads.

    - I'm still not given a menu, nor am I allowed to do anything but play the first race. I can't even hurry through the fucking introduction to every little pre-race submenu because I have to listen to this dick NPC explain to me the blindingly obvious.

    I WILL HACK YOU APART WITH A RUSTY METAL BAR, ASSHOLE. I KNOW WHAT A RALLY IS. I BOUGHT A RALLY GAME, AFTER ALL.

    - Yay! Unskippable cutscene of a world map.
    - RACE. The narrator, while I race, tells me that "this is a cool track."

    YOUR FAMILY WILL NEVER FIND YOUR BODY.

    - I bumper-car my way to first place, because fuck these guys, and seven clicks, three more explanations, and another unskippable cutscene later, I'm finally in a menu I can't use my mouse on. I can't find Options in my cabin.

    I CAN'T FIND OPTIONS IN MY CABIN. WHERE THE FU-- oh, it's outside the cabin. WHO MAKES THESE FUCKING MENUS?

    - Ah ha! Resolution. Default 800x600? WHO THE FUC-- whatever. I don't care. Select 1920x1080 aaaand... it's in windowed mode. WHAT THE FU-- y'know what? I don't want to race anymore.
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-08-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  4. #7904
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The problem with the "evil" option in FO3, and most games, is that it's so poorly incentivized. I think you get 500 caps out of blasting a city off the map? What the hell is that?

    Purely self-interested evil has always been more fun in games, IMO, than random psychotic killer evil. That is, I'll take neutral evil over chaotic evil every time.
    Well, it was early in the game, so they had to keep the reward small to avoid wrecking balance.

  5. #7905
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Well, it was early in the game, so they had to keep the reward small to avoid wrecking balance.
    Wait, did you use the word "balance" in reference to a Bethesda game?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  6. #7906
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Well, it was early in the game, so they had to keep the reward small to avoid wrecking balance.
    Nalano's point aside, this is part of the reason you don't put a choice that big that early.

  7. #7907
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Hey, Codemasters, you know what I like about racing? Cars going fast.

    You know what I hate about racing? Everything else.

    I hate nu-metal soundtracks, I hate NPCs who act like I should give a fuck about them, I hate manufactured rivalries, I hate people attempt to tell you how much fun you should be having, I hate old shills who try to act like they have any cred with the youth market, I hate MTV quick-cuts, I hate ads, I hate the X Games, I hate corporate sponsorship, and I hate games licensed after real people.

    You know what I want in a racing game? Cars, open tracks, and as little else as possible. Don't try to dress it up. Please, just stop. Stop attempting to justify your own existences. Stop trying to gussy up something that should be fun in its own right. I don't like having to hack through reams of tinsel to actually get the sole morsel of fun out of the fucking product. I don't want to feel like I just paid my own money for the privilege of having you attempt to sell me more shit.

    I hate you so goddamn much, and you should be ashamed of yourselves, you useless, out-of-touch, joyless fucking pimples on the ass of the entertainment world. Die, you soulless fucking leeches.
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-08-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  8. #7908
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Hey, Codemasters
    Reads like a 7/10. I liked the corporate logo stuff in grid, you didn't have to have any, but it was free ingame cash ^_^. But of you had them selecting colours, placement and the paint scheme itself gave a real of ownership, a good thing when your team mate was nearby.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  9. #7909
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,911
    Oh, god. There's too many dwarves for me to handle in this fortress, now. And the bloody goblins kept harassing me by snatching something
    Art blog here.

    Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

  10. #7910
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3
    Nintendo Video Games

    so exciting and wonderful games. especially use this Brand New and 1080p Full HD HDMI Converter for Nintendo Wii.

  11. #7911
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Reads like a 7/10. I liked the corporate logo stuff in grid, you didn't have to have any, but it was free ingame cash ^_^. But of you had them selecting colours, placement and the paint scheme itself gave a real of ownership, a good thing when your team mate was nearby.
    Hey Nalano, you won a race! Now you get the privilege of switching out your "livery" (read: so many ads you can't tell the original color of the car) to another livery that you'll never notice nor give a shit about. Don't you love these incremental unlocks of useless shit? It's just like the real rally races, except totally extreme (we're contractually bound to work that into every third sentence) And since it takes at least four minutes to go from one race to the next, you'll be seeing a lot of these ads as you listen to these whiny motherfuckers explain to you why you should be having fun here while you're supposedly having fun here!

    We here at Codemasters combine the usefulness of Microsoft's Clippy with the cultural relevance of Hot Topic!

    Uninstalled.

    Maybe I should mail anthrax.
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-08-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  12. #7912
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Hey, Codemasters, you know what I like about racing? Cars going fast.

    You know what I hate about racing? Everything else.

    I hate nu-metal soundtracks, I hate NPCs who act like I should give a fuck about them, I hate manufactured rivalries, I hate people attempt to tell you how much fun you should be having, I hate old shills who try to act like they have any cred with the youth market, I hate MTV quick-cuts, I hate ads, I hate the X Games, I hate corporate sponsorship, and I hate games licensed after real people.

    You know what I want in a racing game? Cars, open tracks, and as little else as possible. Don't try to dress it up. Please, just stop. Stop attempting to justify your own existences. Stop trying to gussy up something that should be fun in its own right. I don't like having to hack through reams of tinsel to actually get the sole morsel of fun out of the fucking product. I don't want to feel like I just paid my own money for the privilege of having you attempt to sell me more shit.

    I hate you so goddamn much, and you should be ashamed of yourselves, you useless, out-of-touch, joyless fucking pimples on the ass of the entertainment world. Die, you soulless fucking leeches.
    Heeeeeeeey DJ Atomica here, and boooy do we get a sweet ass track for you here at the beach hoo boy!l

    Every freakin' time 2 minutes before every freakin' race.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  13. #7913
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    2,979
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The problem with the "evil" option in FO3, and most games, is that it's so poorly incentivized. I think you get 500 caps out of blasting a city off the map? What the hell is that?

    Purely self-interested evil has always been more fun in games, IMO, than random psychotic killer evil. That is, I'll take neutral evil over chaotic evil every time.
    Indeed. Being a psycho might be a kind of evil, but it's certainly not the smart kind. Take New Vegas - doctor of a small town saves your life, locals help you out, you can go to a bandit and say "let's take this town over." Then he asks "why?" and you have no explanation, nothing except "err, free good, I guess?"

    Being an asshole for the sake of it is stupid. It's much scarier when there's purpose behind the assholery.

  14. #7914
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,527
    Third level of durlag's tower in BG1. Damn. the game is brutal. Traps everywhere. Invisible enemies backstabbing you for 25 points of life.
    i also collect shitloads of stuff and it pains me to throw anything away. even if i get rid of money makers (like diamonds or other precious stones) i still have problem with number of items i collect. can't threw away plus 3 chainmail just because it is weaker than anything my team wears.

  15. #7915
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Being an asshole for the sake of it is stupid. It's much scarier when there's purpose behind the assholery.
    yeah, and in the case of Megaton and the choice to blow it up or not, you don't know enough at the point in the game where you're most likely to encounter Burke. You don't know what you might gain from triggering the bomb (aside from the silly amount of caps), or from disarming it, so the choice becomes one of being good or being an asshole for the sake of it.

    It seems like a missed opportunity; it could have been a much deeper thing if they'd waited until the player could compare the advantages of one choice with the other.

  16. #7916
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,976
    The third option should have been steal warhead. Letting you use it at your discretion.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  17. #7917
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, and in the case of Megaton and the choice to blow it up or not, you don't know enough at the point in the game where you're most likely to encounter Burke. You don't know what you might gain from triggering the bomb (aside from the silly amount of caps), or from disarming it, so the choice becomes one of being good or being an asshole for the sake of it.

    It seems like a missed opportunity; it could have been a much deeper thing if they'd waited until the player could compare the advantages of one choice with the other.
    But in games defense. You're just out of a vault and you really don't know games economy. And Burke is just trying to use you cheapest way possible to him.
    Bomb explosion on itself is not satisfactory. I wish it had more rewards in accessible questlines (i.e. wasteland survival guide available only if you disarm the bomb and Tenpenny tower had another questline witch would make tower even more powerful.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

  18. #7918
    Network Hub Ash_firelord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    142
    I choose to defy Heliocentric's sage advice and go feather-hunting for an afternoon in Assassin's Creed 2.
    Interesting but ultimately useless reward; the mini-cutscene did give me a warm fuzzy feeling so overall I'm happy I did it.

    That and my OCD is appeased, for now.

    Playing next... I don't really know. I'm tempted to start an RPG but I have Arkham City installed with a couple of hours of play done already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    I think the only game I've managed to be evil in was Fable. Otherwise I also set out to be evil, but quickly find out I don't have it in me.
    The first KOTOR did it quite well IIRC. Besides the KOTOR series and Fable 1 & 2, I can't think of anything else.
    Fable 3 has no good/evil, just boring / asshole.
    Is "Luis_Magalh„es" on the RPS comment threads.
    My games-related blog: http://gamingmarmite.blogspot.com/
    Make fun of me for all the games I own and haven't finished: http://backloggery.com/ash_firelord
    Feel free to add me on twitter if you want to know my semi-regular opinions on game stuff: @luis_maga

  19. #7919
    Lesser Hivemind Node Similar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    But in games defense. You're just out of a vault and you really don't know games economy. And Burke is just trying to use you cheapest way possible to him.
    yeah, good point. Seen that way it does fit.

    Bomb explosion on itself is not satisfactory. I wish it had more rewards in accessible questlines (i.e. wasteland survival guide available only if you disarm the bomb and Tenpenny tower had another questline witch would make tower even more powerful.
    yes. It seems like wiping out (or not) one of the largest settlements of the wasteland should mean more.

  20. #7920
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash_firelord View Post
    I can't think of anything else.
    Alpha Protocol.

    Nothing apocalyptic evil. Yet. You can play as really immoral guy. Badass immoral guy. Nothing beats convincing the Leland that you are on his side and then killing him in cold blood.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •