Page 414 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 314364404412413414415416424464514914 ... LastLast
Results 8,261 to 8,280 of 24762
    Activated Node
    Finally I can play Kings of Dragon Pass! Just released at gog.com. I was never able to buy it and the game looked interesting and now I can finally experience it!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Missing out on the extra HP gained by Fighters, Rangers and Paladins (and probably Barbarians) when CON is 17 or 18.
    passable for RP reasons :0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    passable for RP reasons :0
    Then I naturally RP heavy drinkers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Finished Neverwinter Nights 2. Knowing which allies are about to turn on me because of low influence scores, I took all their equipment first.

Big Baddie: "So I see you have stripped some of your allies of even basic equipment..."

Oh shit. He went all Psycho Mantis on my ass.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Actually wizards are powerful even at low levels for one reason: Sleep. It's AoE, no limit on # of affected creatures, saving throw +3 negates but everything in Baldur's Gate has horrible saving throws anyway.

But the best thing about it is that, contrary to all common sense, attacked creatures do NOT wake up. And are considered disabled and thus you always hit them no matter how bad your ThAC0 is. And the spell lasts 5 rounds/level.

It's fun to kill Ogres with nothing but a dagger as a level 1 Mage.
    Charm Person is also a pretty epic spell, particularly during the battles against other parties. And if you hit a lone mage with it successfully, then you have instantly won the battle.

As to whoever mentioned longbows: they are really strong in BG1 (indeed, all your party should be at least one star proficiency in the best ranged weapon for their class, and use them). In BG2, not so strong any more.

As for INT, some of the magic scrolls are restricted to characters with an INT of 9 or above. Occasionally you'll want a fighter to use a scroll, but it's pretty rare. I'd always want 16 INT for BG2 though. Does WIS affect your saving throws in BG? It ought to, but I can't remember if it does. I remember when I played PVP that I always had 18 WIS, except when Limited Wish trolling. CHA is your primary dump stat for any class, it should always be lowered to the lowest possible value for that class.
    Last edited by NathanH; 29-08-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I think the only use for WIS, besides clerics and druids ( and rangers, paladins) spells is for Lore.
    CHA is only useful in that it makes buying/selling items better, so is a good dump stat.

Personally I'd love to see charisma brought back in games where there are character Stats. It's sole purpose would be in allowing how your character looked in-game*, although some conversation options resulting from high/low CHA would be good. The main thing though is that having low charisma would mean you'd be stuck with having to choose between the... different looking character models. Such as this (using Mass Effect only as an example. Probably wouldn't work in first person games where you never/rarely see your character, eg. Skyrim)

Imagine having to invest points in an otherwise purely cosmetic stat just so you didn't have to see this in every cutscene. If nothing else it'd be a useful psychological experiment to see how much things matter to gamers.
    Only by throwing points into this charisma stat would you get to pick the more conventional looking characters.

*I'm aware charisma could relate more to a characters personality rather than looks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    If nothing else it'd be a useful psychological experiment to see how much things matter to gamers.
    Don't forget we have the best configurations of armour in some RPGs and MMOs totally mismatched, so the players have to choose between stats and fashion sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Comeliness is what you're looking for, as laid out in Unearthed Arcana.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 29-08-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I just finished Spec Ops: The Line. I'm gonna go sit and stare off into space for a while and eventually go play Guild Wars 2.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mme View Post
    Finally I can play Kings of Dragon Pass! Just released at gog.com. I was never able to buy it and the game looked interesting and now I can finally experience it!!
    Awesome! I have no idea what I'm doing but I am having fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Don't forget we have the best configurations of armour in some RPGs and MMOs totally mismatched, so the players have to choose between stats and fashion sense.
    NOT ANY LONGER

and THANK GOD FOR THAT
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's not a proper RPG if you can see what your character's wearing properly, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I just finished Spec Ops: The Line. I'm gonna go sit and stare off into space for a while and eventually go play Guild Wars 2.
    If you get the chance/find the time, I'd like to hear your opinion of the game. Did you feel it pulled off what it was trying to do?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    If you get the chance/find the time, I'd like to hear your opinion of the game. Did you feel it pulled off what it was trying to do?
    Gameplay wise, it was generic cover-shooter. And weak generic cover-shooter at that.

In terms of what they accomplished: I think they definitely accomplished what they were going for. There were a few moments where the "Hell yeah, let's blow stuff up" mentality took over, but it actually works. The point is to make you actually think about what you are doing.

That being said, some of the "hard decisions" as they were fell a bit flat. Slightly spoilery, but there is a moment where you have to bash someone's skull in before they kill you, and it is meant to be horrifying. The problem is that said someone never gives you a particularly good reason to outside of one-shotting you if you take too long (so basically its "press shift to not die"). But those were few and far between compared to everything else that just worked.

After selling Bioshock 1 and 2, I paid 16 bucks for spec ops. I think it was at least worth 20-30 in terms of gameplay, and 30-50 in terms of "the experience"

And fortunately, IFC just showed the two episodes of Malcolm in the Middle where Reese joins the army. So zany hijinks definitely managed to cleanse my pallet enough to go play Guild Wars 2. But I probably won't be playing any shooters for a few days, at least.
    Last edited by gundato; 30-08-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    NOT ANY LONGER

and THANK GOD FOR THAT
    Lord of the Rings Online let you retain the look of any armour piece, so you end up with the pieces you liked the best. You can still inspect someone to see what they're 'really' wearing. I'm glad other games are doing that.

Finally! A siege! SIIIIIIIEEEEEGGGGEEE!

But, I won. Just a few goblin invaders, is all.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    Lord of the Rings Online let you retain the look of any armour piece, so you end up with the pieces you liked the best. You can still inspect someone to see what they're 'really' wearing. I'm glad other games are doing that.
    You can't even inspect players on GW2, so it really is just a menagerie of whatever people want.

I'm 46, and four levels ago I finally got the last piece of my (fully modifiable, dye-able, transmutable) first-tier Cultural Armor set. I look like a flower... wearing a flower.

Of course, being that I'm a plant species that was born literally yesterday, I'm also the happiest thing in the world.

(who the fuck taught the Sylvari to dance?)
    Last edited by Nalano; 30-08-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    I always thought it was the abscence of instancing that separated real MMOs from the trash, but now I realize it's the lack of dance command

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Awesome! I have no idea what I'm doing but I am having fun.
    Same here! I smiled when I crushed that stupid duckfolk :)

Network Hub
    Played Analogue: A Hate Story yesterday evening. Very enjoyable, I'll definitely replay it a few more times.