Page 431 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433441481531931 ... LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,620 of 24141
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Hey I beat Thief 3 on max difficulty with the minimalist mod but Thief 2 seems pretty daunting with the huge maps. One thing I do like though is that the in-game map is 100x better than the Thief 3 scribble-work (not that you really need them anyway) AND interestingly enough, the thief 2 map highlights where you're at. BTW do you still get the highlights at anything above normal difficulty? My navigation skills are fairly poor.
    I found that as well but the best thing is that you can type notes on the map! I was blown away by that, even though it doesn't sound very important. Playing one level at a time cause they re huge...

I am also playing Pathologic, which managed to grab my attention after quitting many more modern games out of boredom (yes even Black Mesa although it was really well made). The game is so weird and unique that I just need to see how it ends and hopefully through all 3 characters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Both games have enemies that don't count for the no-kill rule and blackjack doesn't work on them in general. Those are the targets for broadheads, holy water, mines, frogs, and so on.

If you want to approach any situation any other way than "I am a thief" - which Master forces you to - then you're playing the wrong game.
    For the first point, there aren't all that many of them in Thief 2.

For the second point, there are thousands of examples throughout history of thieves who have also killed people. I get that you want to feel all superior for playing the "right" game and everyone else playing the "wrong" game, but at least just say that you're a sneering elitist rather than pretending you have a non-laughable argument.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Not to talk about how if the developers decided that killing was a possibility on other dificulties then the game is appropiate for it. Unmless, of course, Mohorovic knows how to play a game better than it's designers.

Banned
    I do try my best not to KO guards even with the blackjack actually. This was the way i played Thief 3 after i discovered blackjacking everyone in sight actually made for very stale gameplay. But in Thief 2 I pull out the BJ every now and then when things are too tough. Framing (the mission) actually restricted the number of KO's/murders to 5 and i thought that was a nice compromise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I finished the Game of Thrones RPG and really loved it. It's definitely a bit limited in terms of its scope (it's very linear and not much in the levels can be interacted with), but I actually enjoyed the combat and the writing was mostly pretty good. I don't understand why the reviews were so bad as it more or less plays like a slightly dumbed down KOTOR or Jade Empire.
    I haven't played this game but if it is similar to KOTOR and Jade Empire then the reason why it received much poorer reviews is that it wasn't made by BioWare. So in other words, it's not that this game received poorer review scores than it deserves, it's that KOTOR and Jade Empire received far higher review scores than they deserve.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    I haven't played this game but if it is similar to KOTOR and Jade Empire then the reason why it received much poorer reviews is that it wasn't made by BioWare. So in other words, it's not that this game received poorer review scores than it deserves, it's that KOTOR and Jade Empire received far higher review scores than they deserve.
    I on the other hand thought KotOR and Jade Empire were pretty awesome RP... er, games.

I am currently stuck at the last puzzle of Gateways. The terrible thing is I cant use any orbs to get the solution. Think I will give it another one or two hours before I look up a walkthrough on youtube.

I think I just played FTL for 6 hours straight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I heard that ToEE has the best combat of the D&D games of that era, so I'm considering playing it to see if good implementation finally makes it click. This may be a lost cause. I just wish they'd be bloody turn based.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I heard that ToEE has the best combat of the D&D games of that era, so I'm considering playing it to see if good implementation finally makes it click. This may be a lost cause. I just wish they'd be bloody turn based.
    ToEE is turn based.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    ToEE is turn based.
    Oh is it? I just assumed since I got it in a bundle with NWN, and it always gets mentioned in the same breath as all the real time with pause lot that it wasn't. I'd never actually played it. Well that encourages me substantially.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Oh is it? I just assumed since I got it in a bundle with NWN, and it always gets mentioned in the same breath as all the real time with pause lot that it wasn't. I'd never actually played it. Well that encourages me substantially.
    And it's a fantastic system -- easily one of the better turn-based engines out there. The game itself is a little wonky overall (you'll want the Co8 modpack from the beginning), but there's lots to love.
    steam

Death Ray Manta. I didn't know there were so many colours in the spectrum, holy crap!

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Dark Souls. It doesn't open nearly as strongly as Demon's Souls did, but I think it's finally digging it's crusty claws into me. Decided to go with a low-health/high stamina build, since after countless hours of Demon's Souls that was the method I felt most comfortable with; hopefully it's viable in Dark Souls. Also I am playing without any of those graphical hacks/patches, and the game looks great, really not sure what all the fuss was about (that's a lie, I do know, but people were being whiny bitches), the art direction and level design make up for any technical graphical shortcomings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    And it's a fantastic system -- easily one of the better turn-based engines out there. The game itself is a little wonky overall (you'll want the Co8 modpack from the beginning), but there's lots to love.
    Well I downloaded and installed that along with ToEE and it seems to be working. I'm a little frazzled for its complexity right now but I'll dive into it tomorrow I think :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh is it? I just assumed since I got it in a bundle with NWN, and it always gets mentioned in the same breath as all the real time with pause lot that it wasn't.
    That's because there weren't any party-based RPGs with turn-based combat around in that time to lump it in with (except for Wizardry 8).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Played through the first segment of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. Looks great, sounds amazing, but that's all buried under an annoying sheen of iPhone-isms and the most offensive writing this side of Ice Pick Lodge.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Played through the first segment of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. Looks great, sounds amazing, but that's all buried under an annoying sheen of iPhone-isms and the most offensive writing this side of Ice Pick Lodge.
    Ice Pick Lodge games have exceptional writing; it's the translations that can cause problems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's not really fair to call the text in S&S "writing," it's more like... hipster grunting.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzog View Post
    I am currently stuck at the last puzzle of Gateways. The terrible thing is I cant use any orbs to get the solution. Think I will give it another one or two hours before I look up a walkthrough on youtube.
    It is quite a step up from the rest of the puzzles. Some hints from how I solved it that might give you a start:
    The resize portals can fit entirely on the upper platform's lower section
    The normal portal gets you and a laser up to the top and that's about it.
    I did a whole lot of mirror relaying with myself on the floor and the left wall to get the beams to the right places.

Guild Wars 2

Oh god, an MMO that doesn't waste my time. Clearly I must spend hours on it wasting my time. I don't think there's too much depth to the combat and the world pvp isn't particularly interesting, but I've got more than my money's worth from it so far. I've still not even finished exploring the world with one character yet and there are a whole set of other characters waiting to be tried.

Yes, the normal MMO endgame seems missing but I don't care, this is what I want from my MMOs now. I can see a definite end of my interest in the future and I'm ok with that. There's also no sub to make me feel guilty for not playing enough.

FTL

I have mixed feelings on FTL. I like the concept of the game and I definitely think it works for the most part. However, that end boss is sucking the fun out of the game for me. The build-up to it has plenty of tense moments and sometimes you'll die because you didn't make the right choice of equipment 30 minutes ago, but the boss is so far ahead of anything else in the game in difficulty that I've found myself making choices entirely around "will it work against the boss?"

I can see myself playing it and simply stopping on reaching the boss, because it's not fun. A real shame when the core concept is so fun.