Page 467 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467468469477517567967 ... LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,340 of 22761
    Obscure Node
    I like these games.
    By Anthony
    Game Servers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    I think that the place JG is talking about is in the airport mission, where there's like a gauntlet with two guys on the ground and one in a tower by the end. That's a pain to get through unnoticed, but I think I managed in my latest playthrough.
    That's the one that immediately came to my mind as well, it was one of my more difficult stealth sections in the game, and potentially on the first level too! Though it can be done without taking anyone out or being spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Non-lethal, stealth and pistol.
    Feed on those compliments on your stealthing prowess from both friendly and hostile characters, they will sustain you for the long winter.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 25-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm now playing XCOM: UFO Defence.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Feed on those compliments on your stealthing prowess from both friendly and hostile characters, they will sustain you for the long winter.
    ...bum.

Off I go then to hit my face up against a brick wall!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Hotline Miami I have no idea what's going on but I'm killing dudes, a lot of dudes and I'm killing them good. It's like if Manhunt was made in the early 90's.

Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams Doing a level or two a day because platformers don't manage to keep my attention that look no matter how fun they are.

Guild Wars 2 Also started this again and now with a Plant Lady Thief, they're kind of squishy with lots of trap skills; not sure what I think about that but the story is a bit more interesting than the Asura so far.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I was able to pass that sentry tower with a shock grenade that miraculously decided to work properly. Huzzah! Onto the second mission and the weapons stock piling and, ummmm...after hacking the computer, you're rewarded with a nice treat! One I'm really struggling to get by without killing anyone, as tranq. bullets seem to have an "If I feel like it" approach to working unless you hit anywhere other than the head and even then, they may rattle off a few bullets.

And gosh, just noticed something with the save system. It saves the last checkpoint. What's the point of that then, really? Why not just let me save where I want to instead of the pre-described locations? Ugh. I want to like Alpha Protocol, I really, really do, but it just feels so "janky" and wobbly and indecisive. I feel like I need to perform everything perfectly to succeed when there needs to be a little give-and-take with a game that's as wonky as this.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Hang in there. I guarantee you'll forget all that and fall in love once you leave Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, saudi is the worst section of the game.

I started playing Alpha Protocol this evening too (1 more Saudi Arabia mission to go) and it's pretty fun. It certainly has potnetial for more though. Also, the difficulty is rather nonexistant atm (I can literally dodge bullets).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Hang in there. I guarantee you'll forget all that and fall in love once you leave Saudi Arabia.
    Or, to rephrase, if you can tolerate the clunky, janky, messed up aspects of the game long enough to get past Saudi Arabia, they probably don't bother you enough to ruin the game for you.

Or so I assume, I never made it past the first couple of Saudi missions because I got very, very tired of fighting the controls and camera.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    You have to realise it's a pretty bad port at times, the checkpoints thing being an example of this. Just means when you get back after a mission, don't bother going to check emails or buy/sell stuff before quitting as you'll have to do it all again whe you next load.

And yes, Saudi is the worst part of the game - the first time through at least. You'll find it more fun if you ever replay the game as you know what various things allude to, what's being set up, what your character can do etc.

Finally, if you find stealth+pistols is getting too annoying then give it a go playing an assault rifle + sabotage + murderous Thorton. I had a lot more fun when I didn't feel bad everytime an alarm was tripped, although I did have lots of fun going stealth it has to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Or, to rephrase, if you can tolerate the clunky, janky, messed up aspects of the game long enough to get past Saudi Arabia, they probably don't bother you enough to ruin the game for you.
    Sort of. The game can't really show many of it's strengths until you're jetting to other countries and creating your own intelligence network, as it opens neat little options depending on what order they're tackled in. Your actions in one country can affect something in another. I recall someone in an AP thread talked about how an NPC reacts to the clothes you're wearing, and that he was really surprised by this. That's what I'll always remember most about Alpha Protocol, it full of clever details.

Of course, it helps that the characters get more Bondesque (highlight spoilers below this paragraph) and the settings are much more colourful once you get out of the starting *yawn* Middle East area. I'm sure we're all sick of seeing that place by now.

Examples: A duel-wielding Goth, a young Russian Boss with an obsession in 80s music, a German cougar who tries to rape you, a dangerously psychotic conspiracy theorist, a teasing photojournalist who may or may not be Black Widow, and the badass JRPG-like head of the Chinese Secret Police.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 25-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Sort of. The game can't really show many of it's strengths until you're jetting to other countries and creating your own intelligence network, as it opens neat little options depending on what order they're tackled in. Your actions in one country can affect something in another. I recall someone in an AP thread talked about how an NPC reacts to the clothes you're wearing, and that he was really surprised by this. That's what I'll always remember most about Alpha Protocol, it full of clever details.

Of course, it helps that the characters get more Bondesque (highlight spoilers below this paragraph) and the settings are much more colourful once you get out of the starting *yawn* Middle East area. I'm sure we're all sick of seeing that place by now.
    That makes sense. I sincerely wish I could get past my problems with the controls, FoV, minigames, and other mechanical issues. Everything else about that game seems outstanding, but I feel like it's fighting me every time I try to play it. It's clearly designed for a controller, but I can't aim with one of those, and the KB&M controls just feel awful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Whats with all whining lately jeez :p AP plays perfectly fine with controller,its kinda glitchy game because they were rushed,but other then that i loved it. One of the better RPG games for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Whats with all whining lately jeez :p AP plays perfectly fine with controller,its kinda glitchy game because they were rushed,but other then that i loved it. One of the better RPG games for me.
    I'm sure it does play fine with a controller, the issue there is me. I absolutely cannot aim with thumbsticks.

I've found the aiming unusually hard with the controller even though I've played on console for a long time.

I absolutely cannot aim with thumbsticks.
    Me neither. Thankfully the pistol's overpowered Chain Shot ability allows you to pre-shoot your opponents, freezing time while you dictate who'll be shot and where. It's kinda like that clearing out the room ability from the new Splinter Cell, except it makes the game playable instead of breaking it.

Well ok, it does get silly once heavily upgraded (bosses are a laugh), but that's kinda true of most skills.

Me neither. Thankfully the pistol's overpowered Chain Shot ability allows you to pre-shoot your opponents, freezing time while you dictate who'll be shot and where. It's kinda like that clearing out the room ability from the new Splinter Cell, except it makes the game playable instead of breaking it.

Well ok, it does get silly once heavily upgraded (bosses are a laugh), but that's kinda true of most skills.
    How early can you get that, and how often can you use it? Surely you can't just replace regular shooting with it... can you?

The best strategy is to pick a custom character instead of one of the pre-set classes and focus on upgrading no more than three or four skills from the start. Chain Shot should probably be available during or by the end of the first proper mission.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/alphaprotocol/skills/pistols.php

It starts with a cooldown of 60 seconds and decreases to 45 at next rank. At first you can only fire 2 bullets, increased to a maximum of 6, with damage boosted along the way. Each bullet fired is an instant headshot kill (or you could use non-lethal tranquillisers I guess. Unlike Deus Ex Human Rev, you can go full non-lethal and refuse to kill everyone, even the bosses). Not much use in a prolonged firefight, but if you need to take out a patrol or room of guards quickly and efficiently, it's a lifesaver. Yes, as a stealth character I was pretty much able to replace regular shooting with it, except in certain lengthy set pieces.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 26-10-2012 at 12:29 AM.

How early can you get that, and how often can you use it? Surely you can't just replace regular shooting with it... can you?
    I haven't finished Saudi Arabia and I've just unlocked it, so yeah, pretty soon.