Page 470 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 370420460468469470471472480520570970 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,400 of 22749
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    It's not about the gameplay video, it's about making competitive MP the priority. The bulk of folks pining for a good tactical shooter aren't looking for one to play competitively online, they're looking for a single player or co-op experience. The Ground Branch folks started out competitive MP-only, then gradually (and unconvincingly) walked that back as the campaign progressed. Their priorities were clear, their stretch goals were ridiculous, and the whole thing was fumbled right out of the gate.
    I agree, their priority was adversarial play and that's not what I want from the game, for the most part. Still, I find it sad when GS fails with what was shown and things like the Obsidian Old School RPG raise bucketloads with only a vague idea of what the game will be. That to me shows just how far the tactical shooter genre has fallen.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I agree, their priority was adversarial play and that's not what I want from the game, for the most part. Still, I find it sad when GS fails with what was shown and things like the Obsidian Old School RPG raise bucketloads with only a vague idea of what the game will be. That to me shows just how far the tactical shooter genre has fallen.
    Vague nostalgic promises about RPG's are worth a mint on Kickstarter, true. I don't think tactical shooters were ever as popular as those sorts of RPG's in their respective heydays, though, so I'm not sure the comparison has a lot of value beyond making us all sad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I just beat xcom demo. Yay. Managed to make it work on xp as per mike2R suggestion.

Demo certainly is on easy difficulty. Alien took shot at me four times (not counting scripted attack). Three times they missed one time they took only 2 points of life.
    Also got poisoned by the gas released by MIB aliens. Didn't know that would happen (so my damages were a bit higher because of that)

Game runs smoothly on 6 year old cpu (scratch that... don't know how to actually do that. but my cpu was released in April 2005. That makes it seven fucking years old)and ATI4850. The disguised loading screens (scene inside the plane when you actually see loading, the scene after a mission seeing that plane fly) lag pretty badly tough.

Had real fun. but not gonna purchase the copy of the game right now. Will wait for new pc.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 27-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    There is better writing and more imagination and polish in the first hour of Costume Quest than there are in many full games, it's an utter delight. Getting a bit bored of the combat so taking a rest for half an hour or so before going back, but Double Fine make me glad to be alive, I'm smiling form ear to ear here : )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Listening to Orchestral music while playing L4D2..EPIC!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    XCOM. Last mission on Classic Ironman.

Spoiler below.

The plot... it really is similair to Childhoods End, isn't it?

My Volunteer got killed by boss and voila I can restart it from the beginning of the mission, thats really nice, game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Just finished the first proper mission in Startopia. It's as good as everyone said it was. :)
    it gets better once you get all of its concentric systems.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Doom 3 was an intense game. The BFG Edition turns it up to 11 by tweaking the player speed and ammo quantities. It's exhausting!
    I feel like Doom 3's gameplay and level design had more in common with Quake than with the old Dooms and BFG only makes the similarities stronger.
    I fucking love this game.

I reinstalled Battlefield 3 yesterday and within 10 minutes of playing I remembered why I stopped. My poor adult body and brain can't compete with the lightning reflexes and superior aim of all those leet kiddies...

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Listening to Orchestral music while playing L4D2..EPIC!
    "Orchestral music"? What the hell is "orchestral music"? An opposite of "small-band music"?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    I reinstalled Battlefield 3 yesterday and within 10 minutes of playing I remembered why I stopped. My poor adult body and brain can't compete with the lightning reflexes and superior aim of all those leet kiddies...
    So how old are you, 70?

You'll suck at any game at the beginning, and it can take a lot of time to reach your actual maximum skill level as limited by your "talent". For example from my obvservations I tend to peak skill-wise around the 200 hour mark. How many hours did you clock in BF3?
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 28-10-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    My BF3 experience was highly tweaked by settings. Hardcore, conquest, and suddenly fearful patience raises in value. Most of my kills arnt even aware of me.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    "Orchestral music"? What the hell is "orchestral music"? An opposite of "small-band music"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRqkoHheBw

Somehow it really fits the game :D

This looks like a pretty good place to make my first post!

I've been playing xcom pretty steadily recently, but that's been put on hold with the left 4 dead 2 free weekend.
    Also I've started playing ARMA2 again. I came across shactac videos on youtube, thought 'that's exactly how I want to play fps games' only living in the UK means I'm not suited to joining them, so once I've sharpened my skills a little I might join the folk sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So how old are you, 70?

You'll suck at any game at the beginning, and it can take a lot of time to reach your actual maximum skill level as limited by your "talent". For example from my obvservations I tend to peak skill-wise around the 200 hour mark. How many hours did you clock in BF3?
    I'm 28 and got about 45 hours played. Of the millions of games I own only 1 or 2 have more than 100 hours played. There have been very few games I've had the patience for put in that many hours for. I tend to be a sore loser as well as suffering from RSI in my right arm so that probably doesn't help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    So how old are you, 70?

You'll suck at any game at the beginning, and it can take a lot of time to reach your actual maximum skill level as limited by your "talent". For example from my observations I tend to peak skill-wise around the 200 hour mark. How many hours did you clock in BF3?
    On Mirror's Edge I went from fumbling buffoon to Batman in about 12 hours of play spread out over 3 days. Or does this arbitrary 200 hour number only apply to the thousands of multiplayer games out there? Regardless, I have to question whether a commitment of that magnitude (we're talking about watching the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy 20 times here) in order to compete at the basic level is worth it, especially for anyone out of school with responsibilities. If you have the time, more power to you. But accusing other gamers of oldness in these circumstances strikes me as the act of someone overcompensating because he's rather uncomfortable and a little ashamed with the number of hours spent shooting teenagers.

This Free weekend for L4D2 is killing me,only yestereday did i found some good players,otherwise people don't watch their fire,i got killed so many times because of friendly fire,they don't share medkits/Pills and stuff,they rush of course etc..

Gonna starat Warband today,anno domini 1257 mod :3

Banned
    On Mirror's Edge I went from fumbling buffoon to Batman in about 12 hours of play spread out over 3 days. Or does this arbitrary 200 hour number only apply to the thousands of multiplayer games out there? Regardless, I have to question whether a commitment of that magnitude (we're talking about watching the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy 20 times here) in order to compete at the basic level is worth it, especially for anyone out of school with responsibilities. If you have the time, more power to you. But accusing other gamers of oldness in these circumstances strikes me as the act of someone overcompensating because he's rather uncomfortable and a little ashamed with the number of hours spent shooting teenagers.
    Now look who's overcompensating.

Yes, the number is completely arbitrary. As I've said, it's something that I noticed that applies to myself. You might be a genius who masters any game you play in 12 hours, gratz. But for most people it takes much longer.
    Nobody said anything about competing on a basic level. I specifically said "maximum skill level". Battlefield 3 was released over a year ago, and most people you're playing with will have a year's worth of on and off experience under their belts. "Basic level" just won't cut it, sorry.
    And yes, I'm accusing him of oldness. Facetiously. You know, since he said "my poor adult body and brain", as if his venerable age of twenty eight gave him arthritis and thus made unable to compete with the "young'uns".
    And why would I ever be uncomfortable and/or ashamed for putting 200 hours into something I enjoy?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    See you in two weeks.
    It's been two weeks since I started and I'm 45 hours in with no end in sight. So many locations to explore.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Still dabbling with New Vegas, probably going to go try Honest Hearts and see what happens when I get a few minutes I can string together.

Just finished the first Torchlight 2 playthrough with my co-op buddy. We've been playing mapworks maps (neat system, that) and are debating whether or not to hit the reset button on the world for new game+.