Page 49 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159991495491049 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Backlog reduced to only about 50 games.
    Holy crap. Do you ever see yourself completing that backlog?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Monkey Island 2 keeps agitating me, so I've gotten back into my PSX/2 backlog; currently working through the psychic survival-horror that is Galerians.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Look at my backloggery...

I've just been playing League of Legends and Picross. I just can't bring myself to play anything single-player right now, it doesn't sound fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Finished Far Cry 2 the other day. Great ending.
    I really liked the ending to Far Cry 2 as well.

It also made me a bit sad that they didn't put more of an effort into other parts of the story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    I really liked the ending to Far Cry 2 as well.

It also made me a bit sad that they didn't put more of an effort into other parts of the story.
    Never quite understood how you could possibly argue the humanitarian aspect of killing a legendary gun-runner when, during your travails, you personally murder practically half the country.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    I'm almost finished with assassin's creed 2. I got it for five bucks in the steam summer sale. I like it, but I find it's not much improved over the original game. Sure, there's more mission variety, but you still end up repeating the same basic types about a hundred times over the course of the game. Also, Ezio is a likable character, but the story is unintelligible. A bunch of guys killed his father, and they're all interchangeable, and no real character development occurs. I think the assassin's creed series would benefit from becoming full-fledged RPGs. They create these immaculately detailed worlds and give you little to do other than murder people.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Never quite understood how you could possibly argue the humanitarian aspect of killing a legendary gun-runner when, during your travails, you personally murder practically half the country.
    @Nalano

You obviously haven't completed Far Cry 2.

Don't want to spoil much just in case anyone is interested, but [sp]let's just say that your actions during the game are reflected on during the end sequence. [/sp]
    Last edited by airtekh; 22-08-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    @Nalano

You obviously haven't completed Far Cry 2.
    Nah I haven't. Couldn't get past the instant respawn checkpoints mindfuck.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

ah farcry 2, I remember slogging through, thinking I would find the fun bits other people were apparently enjoying, but when I found out there was a whole other massive but empty map I quit the game and cried. even if the ending was good is it really worth playing through so many hours of bad game to get to it?

elsewhere I am on ch4 of grey matter, hoping to get ch 5 and possibly 6 done tonight. I have also given up hope of finishing xenoblade by friday, since I have spent most of my twelve hours playing time running around the enormous fields going "oohhhh pretty" at everything. best ever idea for a game world though.

I just played through the demo of Space Marine. First with KB+M, then with controller. Both on hard.

HOT DAMN. That game...just, that game. So satisfying. The visceral punch of your guns, the kill animations...amazing.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    I have also given up hope of finishing xenoblade by friday, since I have spent most of my twelve hours playing time running around the enormous fields going "oohhhh pretty" at everything. best ever idea for a game world though.
    Already asked on the previous page but ANYWAY. Please sell this to me, is it just good for a JRPG/if you like JRPGs? or is it just wondrous anyway?

Should I believe the hype, essentially?

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Already asked on the previous page but ANYWAY. Please sell this to me, is it just good for a JRPG/if you like JRPGs? or is it just wondrous anyway?

Should I believe the hype, essentially?
    sorry didn't see your comment, anyway, I would say that its the game final fantasy 12 wanted to be but failed at (imo). battle system is kind of like an mmo, its similar to what f12 did but its more involved and doesn't make me feel like I only have to hold down the right stick to win. it also has a lot of mmo like quests, but does some interesting things with social links which help the town folk become more than faceless quest givers.

I am not far along with the story but it spent the first five hours building up in a predictable way, then did something that made me sit up and think this is going to be anything but the standard jrpg plot. as I said though I have mostly been wandering about asking myself, if they can have environments this big and interesting then why is nobody else doing it in their rpgs? you can almost point the camera in any direction and find an amazing view, or at least something interesting that needs more exploring. or avoiding in the case of that giant building size lv 70 enemy, which can and will stomp you into the ground if you get close enough.

I could probably be further along but I am having a lot of fun just exploring what seems like the most finely crafted world I have seen in a jrpg, it just feels like an actual world. there aren't monsters waiting in ambush, there is a herd of elephant like creatures looking after the infants who will ignore you unless you attack them. those hostile bird creatures with the spears aren't some random enemy, they are a primitive tribe with a home base you are free to find and attack.

it gets so many simple things right too, for example you can save anywhere and anytime, I don't think I have hit a single invisible wall yet, and the penalty for death is going back to the last activated checkpoint (without losing anything you have done) instead of punishing you by making you load an old save. I thought this was a lost generation for jrpgs on home consoles (and I still do), but this is looking like showing everyone what we could all have been playing instead of the gears of war/cod clones.

away from that for a moment I would like to say that grey matter just got really good. there are a few fumbles where characters have accepted some feeble excuses for my snooping but its really building up a great mystery now. the puzzles have also done very little to upset me by being understandable to the sane mind, so unless it falls apart in the end I will be prepared to say this is one of the best adventure games in years.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    XENOBLADEXENOBLADEXENOBLADEXENOBLADE
    You sold me. That's all I need to read about this game; I haven't beat a JRPG since Final Fantasy X-2, I haven't played my Wii in well over a year... But if this game makes it to the states, I WILL buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    But if this game makes it to the states, I WILL buy it.
    I don't endorse the piracy scene on the Wii, but there are a few homebrew ways of getting around the region locks on the Wii and playing imports. Since a US release was looking doubtful last I heard, I'm going to be importing Xenoblade Chronicles.

My Wii has a broken SD card slot, so I don't think I could do any modding (though I've never looked into it) and importing is expensive :E

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Yep, I'm sold too now, Rab's been banging on about it on twitter also. 50 here with a classic controller... or 30 without.

*hrmm*

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    My Wii has a broken SD card slot, so I don't think I could do any modding (though I've never looked into it) and importing is expensive :E
    Well, you could buy a Freeloader disc... probably about $20. But yeah, it wouldn't be worth it if you're only going to import Xenoblade. Unless something has changed with the more recent custom firmwares, you do need the SD drive to mod your Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Holy crap. Do you ever see yourself completing that backlog?
    Of course. The problem is that it grows.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

You make it sound like it's taking on a life of its own.

Maybe it is?

Anyhow, post Hitman and the makes-everything-else-tame Space Marine demo, I've been trying to work out which of my backlog to get more into. I tried Bit.Trip.Runner and finally completed the stonkingly hard penultimate level of the first zone. Of course, now the boss is killing me with its "I know, let's give you as short a time as possible to react to anything!" which I don't really appreciate. I tried Call of Pripyat in a spat of madness and I dunno; I gave myself a powerful gun and some ammo, had the difficulty on normal and got through part of it. I like the atmosphere, I really do, but I feel like the game part of it just doesn't entirely hold up. Actually, I'll go back to it now, but...there's just something about it that is good enough to play on the whole. Something about 'greater than the sum of its parts'...